Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Read the thread. I’m not the one complaining about the referee. The poster Strumms has several posts re how Dublin were hard done by with refereeing decisions which I don’t agree with.

I’ve just pointed out as did the RTE analysis team there were two
    Potential black cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Roots 2020 wrote: »
    He's a Dublin sycophant, as is Brolly. Brolly loves making money speaking at Dublin club events. They know where the money lies.

Nope, an impartial, respected and experienced ex county footballer, who enjoyed success himself, isn’t blinded by bitterness. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,413 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You still get big crowds at Connacht championship games, which are normally very close exciting games. Anyone of Mayo, Galway or Roscommon can win it. Same applies in Ulster.
    Its the display games that get boring, once the margin is several points, there is no excitment.

Do you not think of poor auld London, Leitrim, and NY in Connacht? What is the point of Galway and Mayo playing them? Waste of time even Sligo get walloped.

Galway beat Sligo by 12 in 2019, Minced them in 2018 by 21 points.

Sligo had thier best result for years v Galway and that is only because it was a W/O!

How is it fair on them?

Plus Kerry in same province as Waterford, Limerick and Clare.
    How is it fair on them?
    Cork and Tipp div 2 teams.

It is madness yet people expect miracles it seems - another covid next year to help?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

benji79 wrote: »
    Think Tomas o se sums it up well. With other gaa teams who were dominating in gaa in the past like Kerry 8 all Ireland’s or the Kilkenny hurlers a slump came and there was a transition period which often lasted a long period. It’s just hard to see any slump coming for Dublin
    Kerry and Kilkenny maxed out on golden generations and dropped back into the pack following those teams ageing, the different and worrying thing is of Dublin's starting 15 in the 2015 final only 6 started tonight, they've transitioned already and arguably got more dominant while doing so.

I'm not anti-Dublin, the players themselves are wonderful athletes and deserve huge credit for their attitude and what they've been achieving but the reality is there is one team operating effectively at a professional level and all the other teams at an amateur level. that's where we're at now

Please elaborate on your claims of professionalism. I’m all ears.

• Advertisement

You still get big crowds at Connacht championship games, which are normally very close exciting games. Anyone of Mayo, Galway or Roscommon can win it. Same applies in Ulster.
    Its the display games that get boring, once the margin is several points, there is no excitment.

There is no sport or competition in the universe, where a close contest is encouraged...

Boxers want an early knockout...

Showjumpers want a clear round and their competition to send the bars flying.

Novak Djokovic wants to win in straight sets, EVERY match

Lewis Hamilton wants to win a minute or a lap ahead of the competition.. EVERY race.

Dustin Johnson wants to have to have a 6 shot lead coming up to tee off at the 18th every Sunday... none of these people believe in diluting their skills, talent to give the competition an easier chance.

If you suggest it you’d want a psychologist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

Dublins strength and conditioning is on another level to the chasing pack

The exact same except for a lack of coaches, facilities, nutritionists, medical care, population. Population the GAA can't control but the others should be the same in every county, its a million miles away from that.[/QUOT

Expand on your claims and provide stats to back it up. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭nc6000

dobman88 wrote: »
    Aw jesus. In before the ban

New account with two posts, looks like they only registered to wind people up.

C__MC wrote: »

As are their skills, so good luck to em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

nc6000 wrote: »
    New account with two posts, looks like they only registered to wind people up.

Really??? Wow. I'd never have guessed :pac:

C__MC wrote: »
    Yet Cavan have had the ex professional S&C man from London Irish and Harlequins from the previous 10 hrs. But it’s Dublin that have the professional set up and unfair advantage.

Oh Dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

Has Cian O'Sullivan or Paddy Andrews made the 26 thus far?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

What a great team, just do their job and get it done. Up The Dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Is there anything to be said now for a professional league with say 8 to 10 teams and keep the inter county system as amateur and a feeder system

corny wrote: »
    Has Cian O'Sullivan or Paddy Andrews made the 26 thus far?

Or MDMA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Strumms wrote: »
    They also have a neutrionist, coaches and numerous people to provide experience, expertise and help....

Don't know about other counties but I know kerry's nutritionist is a volunteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Fair play to the Dubs

With a huge disparity between them and every other county in terms of playing population, job and study opportunities within the county, sponsorship deals and playing at home they should be winning lots

But then you throw a few million every year from the gaa and sports Ireland in top of it and it really is taking the mick

Fair play to the Dubs

With a huge disparity between them and every other county in terms of playing population, job and study opportunities within the county, sponsorship deals and playing at home they should be winning lots

But then you throw a few million every year from the gaa and sports Ireland in top of it and it really is taking the mick

Some serious amount of ButtHurt there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Strumms wrote: »
    100%, it’s called succession planning....

When the likes of Cluxton retires... they don’t look around.. “ohh who is the next best keeper?” They’ve identified already Comerford as well as two or three others competing... NOW...

same in business... a CEO is 64, week he retires its not a case of ‘ad in the paper, and see’

That’s happening in every position on that Dublin team...

There's some nonsense being posted with the fawning over Dublin. They're the only county with the resources and depth to do that. Do you not think other counties would be at the same if they could? C'mon man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Or MDMA

Its the way it should be of course but sad that these lads are now just quietly pushed aside in their thirties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Yet Cavan have had the ex professional S&C man from London Irish and Harlequins from the previous 10 hrs. But it’s Dublin that have the professional set up and unfair advantage.

He only arrived last year. How long have Dublin had a professional for S&C? We also only actually got a gym at Breffni this year and there is currently fundraising to try & build some decent training pitches.

On top of this, Cavan county board are run by volunteers. Do Dublin not have a professional running their county board like a business? John Costello. His LinkedIn says CEO of Dublin GAA. Cavan chairman Kieran Callaghan has a full electrical company to run with hundreds of employees on top of his role as county board chairman

corny wrote: »
    Its the way it should be of course but sad that these lads are now just quietly pushed aside in their thirties.

I’d love to see Mick win his 8th. He’s been a great servant and that coupled with the potential to hit 8 would send the yerras into overdrive😂 Apart from Dobman of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Some serious amount of ButtHurt there.

Been going to games since i was 5
    I've been coaching since i was 19
    Refereeing since i was 25 and I'm still kicking a bit of ball and hitting a sliotar around

The current funding and support structure in the GAA is not healthy for the association

Dublin is treated as a province for funding but a county for playing

Cavan_King wrote: »
    He only arrived last year. How long have Dublin had a professional for S&C? We also only actually got a gym at Breffni this year and there is currently fundraising to try & build some decent training pitches.

On top of this, Cavan county board are run by volunteers. Do Dublin not have a professional running their county board like a business? John Costello. His LinkedIn says CEO of Dublin GAA. Cavan chairman Kieran Callaghan has a full electrical company to run with hundreds of employees on top of his role as county board chairman

I’m just pointing out facts. There since 2018. If that’s not long enough maybe VFM is not being met.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

This thread may be locked if Dublin do win the 6
    Seriously though we are looking at a monopoly of kerry dublin mayo finals in years to come
    Football championship is dead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I’m just pointing out facts. There since 2018. If that’s not long enough maybe VFM is not being met.

You’re twisting “facts”. He was appointed in November 2018 and had to work out notice with London Irish. He did start work with Cavan by sending on some programmes towards the end of 2018 but he was still based in London and didn’t move back to Ireland until early 19 after his notice was done.

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2018/11/09/news/respected-rugby-coach-andre-quinn-appointed-cavan-s-head-of-athletic-performance-1481018/

Jim McGuinness reckons it takes up to 4 years to get a player up to present intercounty level for S&C by the way. Again, I ask, how long have Dublin had a professional in place?

Here’s an article from 2016 stating they ya had a full time athletic coach for 3 years then. There may even have been someone in place before that coach arrived in 2013 and I’d imagine there was, but I think I’ve made my point.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/bryan-cullen-quits-leinster-to-take-on-dublin-high-performance-role-34345475.html

We were also only I think the third county to a appoint a professional for S&C after, surprise, surprise, Dublin, being the first, and Tyrone the second.

By the way, you ignored the entire rest of my post so care to address it? The bit about if only getting a gym, only building training pitches and other counties not having professional CEOs to run their county boards.

But I guess we’ll just label that “begrudgy” and move on. It’s just a huge coincidence that this “golden generation” of players arrived a few years after millions was pumped into Dublin GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭bassy

mayo,s year you read it first here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

bassy wrote: »
    mayo,s year you read it first here.

Pretty sure I've read that it's Mayo's year every year for the last decade or so.

Advertisement