Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Today was indeed another step towards the split. So to me that was a good result. Might even result in an extra GPO or two going to the likes of Louth Meath and Kildare lol.

If Dublin refuse to split the other 31 will eventually boycott and have a separate competition. It's inevitable.

I've read some rubbish in my time, but this takes the biscuit.

The other 31 counties would form a breakaway tournament , as ****ing if.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Cavan a div 2 team relegated to div 3. Yet are expected to beat two div 1 teams in quick succession. Two of the top four teams in the country.

I must be the only one who thinks the provincials are finished.
    Only for covid 19 Cavan would not have been likely winners of Ulster. And no way they would have got in the AI SF if the backdoor and Super 8's were in place.
    How exactly have Cavan benefitted from Covid-19 in a way that no other Ulster county couldn't have benefitted from?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yes I was calling for KK to be split in 2 and Kerry in the 70's..Dublin GAA would enter 2 teams rather than one, Keep the hurling as one until such time as they start dominating

But KK resolved itself?

What do you do when a team stops winning or if one split falters

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

Strumms wrote: »
    On one reply angle a Cooper black was harsh another suggested maybe it was actually warranted, we’ll see again later.

Playing on the edge is a good thing. Stepping over it.....however.

Tbf, Dublin have stepped over the edge plenty of times during this run. You do what you have to do to win and anybody would be happy to see their team do the same. Every winning team ever has stepped over the edge to get the job done. It comes with the territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

If they are going to split Dublin into two they may as well future proof it and split it into four

Dublin City
    Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown
    Fingal
    South Dublin

If anything it would give the lads who can't get into this Dublin team the chance to play Championship football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,413 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Cavan_King wrote: »
    And Dublin don’t have players like Small & McCarthy who play on the edge? Nice guys win nothing and Dublin are going for six in a row, they’re well fit to cut it with the best so don’t be fooling yourself.

Galligan got a second yellow for mouthing at the ref and there was hardly much point giving it at that stage of the game.

Take off the blue tinted glasses for a bit.

Ref was poor for both teams but Dublin most certainly cannot feel hard done by. The Cooper black would have been at a vital time.

Amazed anyone is giving out about Cavan they gave it a lash and did the best they could. Probably lacking a bench and a few tricky forwards. If Cavan merged with Monaghan would be a great team there.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

It’s not the way to do it though. Nuking counties means it’s all over and you better start liking rugby or soccer.

Whatever is or isn’t the way to do it, I think we’ve finally reached the point where something will have to be done, for the competitive, and good of the intercounty championship. It’s becoming like the SPL, without one of the Old Firm teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

On one reply angle a Cooper black was harsh another suggested maybe it was actually warranted, we’ll see again later.

Playing on the edge is a good thing. Stepping over it.....however.

The ref gave a foul. Foul was for a pull down. How is it not a black card then? That’s the very epitome of a black card.

And what exactly did Cavan do that was so far over the edge? Galligan hit Cooper a closed fist block. I’d say he was rightly pissed off at that stage getting man handled and no free for it at any point. He got a yellow for the first indiscretion he made though. Then gets another yellow when he shows more frustration by taking back to the ref.

You’re embarrassing yourself now to be honest. Your basic opinion boils down to - Dublin = good. Opposition = bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

benji79 wrote: »
    Think Tomas o se sums it up well. With other gaa teams who were dominating in gaa in the past like Kerry 8 all Ireland’s or the Kilkenny hurlers a slump came and there was a transition period which often lasted a long period. It’s just hard to see any slump coming for Dublin

100%, it’s called succession planning....

When the likes of Cluxton retires... they don’t look around.. “ohh who is the next best keeper?” They’ve identified already Comerford as well as two or three others competing... NOW...

same in business... a CEO is 64, week he retires its not a case of ‘ad in the paper, and see’

That’s happening in every position on that Dublin team...

munster87 wrote: »
    Whatever is or isn’t the way to do it, I think we’ve finally reached the point where something will have to be done, for the competitive, and good of the intercounty championship. It’s becoming like the SPL, without one of the Old Firm teams.

Something does, but redrawing counties is not the answer to it. Do Meath really want to finally beat Fingal? Do Carlow and Kildare supporters or Sligo and Leitrim really want to support some mess of a team between the two? The counties are what makes the GAA. Would that euphoria we seen with Cavan a few weeks ago mean a **** if it was them + Monaghan?

• Advertisement

Cavan a div 2 team relegated to div 3. Yet are expected to beat two div 1 teams in quick succession. Two of the top four teams in the country.

I must be the only one who thinks the provincials are finished.
    Only for covid 19 Cavan would not have been likely winners of Ulster. And no way they would have got in the AI SF if the backdoor and Super 8's were in place.

The provincials(with the exception of Leinster) is the only exciting bit left of GAA football.

Surely we'll have to fund a second croker on the south side. Couldn't have south dublin playing every game away from home.

Today was indeed another step towards the split. So to me that was a good result. Might even result in an extra GPO or two going to the likes of Louth Meath and Kildare lol.

Plus would need TWO 25K/30k stadiums North and South. Parnell too small and CP not Dublin's 'home' - too big.

Plus I would merge Kildare and Meath keep current structures but pool resources and players.

Some will not like mergers amalgamations or splits but it will head that way.

100%, it’s called succession planning....

When the likes of Cluxton retires... they don’t look around.. “ohh who is the next best keeper?” They’ve identified already Comerford as well as two or three others competing... NOW...

same in business... a CEO is 64, week he retires its not a case of ‘ad in the paper, and see’

That’s happening in every position on that Dublin team...
    It seems to be lost on you that Dublin are the only county with that privelige. Donegal won't be able to pluck a player to replace Michael Murphy from thin air. How do Mayo replace Aidan O Shea when that time comes? Dublin are the only county with the luxury of not having to worry about how they replace their stars. Must be a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Surely we'll have to fund a second croker on the south side. Couldn't have south dublin playing every game away from home.

If Dublin refuse to split the other 31 will eventually boycott and have a separate competition. It's inevitable.

Thankfully we have hurling to keep us entertained as this sham unfolds over the next few years.

We're going to have Leinster disbanded as a province, Move Dublin to Ulster, Kildare to Munster and Meath to Connacht. Just to see what new excuses Meath and Kildare can come up with for being bet handy :o

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Jaysus lads there's some serious salty tears about Dublin in this thread. Not a word from any of you when we hadn't won a championship in 16 years. Great to see....Up the Dubs

Ye won 5 Leinster championships in a row during the "lean" years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

But KK resolved itself?

What do you do when a team stops winning or if one split falters[/QUOTE

There is rarely such thing as equality in life. there is the big boys and there is the also rans. In fairness to Dublin supporters they are proud and love their county team. If we are just happy to have a Dublin team going forward that is super strong with the rest plotting an odd upset against them then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Nahhh , look at it again ;). No place for that on the pitch, loose but loose gracefully.

If only his club had a GPO to teach him how to tackle properly.

nc6000 wrote: »
    And what if North v South ended up in the final next year?

I'd be glued to it as a neutral. Two titans going toe to toe.
    I've read some rubbish in my time, but this takes the biscuit.

The other 31 counties would form a breakaway tournament , as ****ing if.
    They should and dublin can enter the railway Cup. They are basically a province mauling counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,160 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Fann Linn wrote: »
    That's the 15 point spread.

Does being on the line win the bet?

moghrasa wrote: »
    It seems to be lost on you that Dublin are the only county with that privelige. Donegal won't be able to pluck a player to replace Michael Murphy from thin air. How do Mayo replace Aidan O Shea when that time comes? Dublin are the only county with the luxury of not having to worry about how they replace their stars. Must be a coincidence.

Dublin don’t do it from thin air. They do it through kids being encouraged and wanting to be the next Cluxton, McCarthy, McCaffrey... that drive and ambition is instilled in them every day, week of the year, from children, teens up to them knocking on the door if good enough.

Mayo can do and probably DO do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Neither Tipp or Mayo have any hope of beating Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Cavan_King wrote: »
    The ref gave a foul. Foul was for a pull down. How is it not a black card then? That’s the very epitome of a black card.

And what exactly did Cavan do that was so far over the edge? Galligan hit Cooper a closed fist block. I’d say he was rightly pissed off at that stage getting man handled and no free for it at any point. He got a yellow for the first indiscretion he made though. Then gets another yellow when he shows more frustration by taking back to the ref.

You’re embarrassing yourself now to be honest. Your basic as sending books down to - Dublin = good. Opposition = bad.

And he overlooked a blatant trip later, swings and roundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

I really think mayo can put it up to them but will come short

Dublin don’t do it from thin air. They do it through kids being encouraged and wanting to be the next Cluxton, McCarthy, McCaffrey... that drive and ambition is instilled in them every day, week of the year, from children, teens up to them knocking on the door if good enough.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Mayo have given Dublin lots of trouble in recent years, though I think Dublin have gotten even better since and Mayo gone back slightly but who knows

The exact same except for a lack of coaches, facilities, nutritionists, medical care, population. Population the GAA can't control but the others should be the same in every county, its a million miles away from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

ArielAtom wrote: »
    And he overlooked a blatant trip later, swings and roundabouts

Read the thread. I’m not the one complaining about the referee. The poster Strumms has several posts re how Dublin were hard done by with refereeing decisions which I don’t agree with.

The provincials(with the exception of Leinster) is the only exciting bit left of GAA football.

Come on! When was Munster last exciting? Bar this skewed covid 19 year - Keane from Oz for got the goal that beat Kerry. Would not have won only for he could not travel back. Same with Tipp and O'Riordan back from Oz crucial could not travel back because of covid19.
    to
    Kerry won 7 in a row and 15 out last 20 Munsters.

Plus Connacht is normally fairly boring for neutrals - a duopoly - Galway or Mayo. Odd Rossie interruption.

Mayo won 5 in a row 11-15. I expect it to return to status quo. But two mostly div 1 teams and a div1/2 make it a bit fairer than Leinster or Munster in fairness. However, the Rossies not good enough outside Connacht Championship.

Come on! When was Munster last exciting? Bar this skewed covid 19 year - Keane from Oz for got the goal that beat Kerry. Would not have won only for he could not travel back. Same with Tipp and O'Riordan back from Oz crucial could not travel back because of covid19.
    to
    Kerry won 7 in a row and 15 out last 20 Munsters.

Plus Connacht is normally fairly boring for neutrals - a duopoly - Galway or Mayo. Odd Rossie interruption.

Mayo won 5 in a row 11-15. I expect it to return to status quo. But two mostly div 1 teams and a div1/2 make it a bit fairer than Leinster or Munster in fairness. However, the Rossies not good enough outside Connacht Championship.

You still get big crowds at Connacht championship games, which are normally very close exciting games. Anyone of Mayo, Galway or Roscommon can win it. Same applies in Ulster.
    Its the display games that get boring, once the margin is several points, there is no excitment.

The exact same except for a lack of coaches, facilities, nutritionists, medical care, population. Population the GAA can't control but the others should be the same in every county, its a million miles away from that.

Every GAA inter-county team has a doctor or access to one.. Cavan today, Dr. Philip Carolan. Works at the Spirts Surgery Clinic in Dublin. One of the top Sports Medicine physicians in the country. They also have a neutrionist, coaches and numerous people to provide experience, expertise and help....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

Sean Cavanagh is spot on.., fair fûcks for not letting himself be shouted down and interrupted by that absolute eejit O’Rourke.

He's a Dublin sycophant, as is Brolly. Brolly loves making money speaking at Dublin club events. They know where the money lies.

Advertisement