Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Leinster Championship is dead.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

GalwayMark wrote: »
    There was a couple of All Irelands in the former period including 1983 and then 1995 being the last 20th century title.

Sorry, was just talking about u21 football.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Enquiring wrote: »
    They didn't compete at u21 level for 3 years from 1986.
    Definitely a few more spells than that, plus the set up was farcical.

I was looking for the last u21 final programme from 2017 Galway v Dublin Tullamore can't find it. Good chance info is in there if any has it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

You were caught out telling porkies again.

Things completely changed with the influx of a huge number of professional coaches.

From 4 Leinsters and 0 All Irelands from 1964 - 2000 to 10 Leinsters and 5 All Irelands between 2000 and 2019.

No porkies I was shocked when I saw how the DCB treated the u21. Started with Heffo he had no time for it.

Found this so far Aug 1999:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/dubs-facing-a-painful-road-back-26140260.html

"A county with an ambiguous attitude to the Leinster U21 championship, despite the stream of successful modern-day teams whose evolution can be traced back to their U21 days

A county which has never won an All-Ireland U21 title, and hasn't played in the final since 1980. And they went years without putting an U21 team into the championship at all."

No porkies I was shocked when I saw how the DCB treated the u21. Started with Heffo he had no time for it.

Found this so far Aug 1999:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/dubs-facing-a-painful-road-back-26140260.html

"A county with an ambiguous attitude to the Leinster U21 championship, despite the stream of successful modern-day teams whose evolution can be traced back to their U21 days

A county which has never won an All-Ireland U21 title, and hasn't played in the final since 1980. And they went years without putting an U21 team into the championship at all."

I think you should call it a day. Brian Mullins was playing u21 in the mid 70's, here's what he had to say:

"I would say that under-21 football in Dublin was taken very seriously at that time, the management were specifically positioned to prepare the team to win, so it was taken very seriously, as a matter of general policy, and also specific individual approach."

At last found something concrete re Dublin and u21 all-ireland : article 2003

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/nurturing-lyons-cubs-26232321.html

"The renaissance began six years ago when Dublin football awoke from its slumber and finally acknowledged its neglect of the underage ranks. The fruits of the All-Ireland minor successes nurtured by Alan Larkin in the late 1970s and early '80s had been allowed to wither on the vine. For seven years - between 1983 and 1991 - the county didn't even bother to enter a team in the Leinster U21 championship. In the meantime, the County Board continued to employ underage structures developed sometime around the bronze age.

"In those days, the selection of the manager for the minor team was made on a yearly basis by the Dublin minor board," said one insider. "Sometimes the selection was made as late as January or February, which meant that the new man would have to go through a couple of hundred young lads in a couple of weeks of trials in the Phoenix Park."

• Advertisement

I think you should call it a day. Brian Mullins was playing u21 in the mid 70's, here's what he had to say:

"I would say that under-21 football in Dublin was taken very seriously at that time, the management were specifically positioned to prepare the team to win, so it was taken very seriously, as a matter of general policy, and also specific individual approach."

See previous post found concrete years plus I believe there was more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/nurturing-lyons-cubs-26232321.html

"The renaissance began six years ago when Dublin football awoke from its slumber and finally acknowledged its neglect of the underage ranks. The fruits of the All-Ireland minor successes nurtured by Alan Larkin in the late 1970s and early '80s had been allowed to wither on the vine. For seven years - between 1983 and 1991 - the county didn't even bother to enter a team in the Leinster U21 championship. In the meantime, the County Board continued to employ underage structures developed sometime around the bronze age.

"In those days, the selection of the manager for the minor team was made on a yearly basis by the Dublin minor board," said one insider. "Sometimes the selection was made as late as January or February, which meant that the new man would have to go through a couple of hundred young lads in a couple of weeks of trials in the Phoenix Park."

Another article outlying Dublin's rather laissez faire attitude to under 21

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/gaa-weekend-that-was-irony-in-dublin-s-last-u-21-all-ireland-victory-1.3067778

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gael85

That is correct . The Dublin 99/2000 minor years were the first groups to come through development squads. Lost u21 final v Galway in 02 and beat Tyrone in 03.

See previous post found concrete years plus I believe there was more.

There wasn't more. Dublin won the Leinster u21 championship in 1984. How did they manage that if they didn't enter it?

Gael85 wrote: »
    That is correct . The Dublin 99/2000 minor years were the first groups to come through development squads. Lost u21 final v Galway in 02 and beat Tyrone in 03.

About the same time the money started coming in.

• Advertisement

There wasn't more. Dublin won the Leinster u21 championship in 1984. How did they manage that if they didn't enter it?

The OP admitted that they made a mistake by stating that Dublin didn't enter teams for decades during the duration of the under 21 competition.

Whats your agenda here

ShyMets wrote: »

I saw that one it did not specify the years just showed they were not bothered.
    I would say the non-Dubs find it incredulous.

Plus the fact it is so hard to pin down the years Dublin competed shows how little Dubs cared about it.

Definitely a few more spells than that, plus the set up was farcical.

Dublin didn't compete u21 from 1985-1990.

About the same time the money started coming in.

No. It was the same time when Dublin started to take underage seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Someone needs to lay off the KoolAid or Buckfast😉

The OP admitted that they made a mistake by stating that Dublin didn't enter teams for decades during the duration of the under 21 competition.

The opposite of what you just said is true.

Maybe your facts are wrong? You already said it was only the 80's I have shown you proof from the indo that Dublin did not enter teams for another period.

Maybe buy the 2017 AI u21 (Dublin v Galway) prog online? You can then flog it to me for twice the price if I can't find mine! ;)

Fecking annoyed I can't find it I want to read it. I was definitely there!

Amazing how no Dublin players end up going to Australia?

James Madden. Ciaran Kilkenny, Kevin Devine, David Stynes, Sean McGuinness and Declan O'Mahony would have played some stage in Oz. Lots of Irish soccer internationals and league of players would have prominent GAA at underage in Dublin.

ArielAtom wrote: »

I believe the phrase is 'bucky and some curry chips' (I am fluent in cluchie!) :D

No. It was the same time when Dublin started to take underage seriously

They started taking u21 football and hurling, minor football and hurling, club football and hurling, women's senior football and men's senior football and hurling serious all at the same time then. Just so happened that it coincided with millions of euros going their way.

• Advertisement

Maybe your facts are wrong? You already said it was only the 80's I have shown you proof from the indo that Dublin did not enter teams for another period.

Maybe buy the 2017 AI u21 (Dublin v Galway) prog online? You can then flog it to me for twice the price if I can't find mine! ;)

You provided an article which stated that Dublin didn't compete in the u21 championship for years which included a year that they won the Leinster u21 title. :pac:

Your decades claim has been shown to be nonsense.

They started taking u21 football and hurling, minor football and hurling, club football and hurling, women's senior football and men's senior football and hurling serious all at the same time then. Just so happened that it coincided with millions of euros going their way.

My spidey senses are tingling. Is that you Ewan

ArielAtom wrote: »

Obviously, you have no answer to your primary school myth being blown out of the water. :)

My spidey senses are tingling. Is that you Ewan

You can see when the Dubs have lost the argument, they have nothing left so they resort to this kind of stuff. :pac:

I see another myth has been posted in the last few pages. The games development funding was all for the kids in primary school. Rubbish.

Along with paying for professional coaches, Dublin also had well paid strategic officers in place. Their strategic program manager, Kevin O'Shaughnessy, had this to say: "The coaches work very much in tune with what the particular club wants", the coaches all had to have a high level qualification: "It is a high standard that allows them to train the trainers in each club to a high quality." Dublin also have a coaching and games officer. A few years ago, the then coaching and games officer Ger O'Connor had this to say: "The coaches don't just concentrate on hurling or football. They organise everything within a club and camogie and ladies football get the benefit too." Once again illustrating why it's not just Dublin senior footballers that the money has benefitted.

Also, it wasn't 2005 when this began, it was prior to that and we also have first hand testimony from an actual development officer with huge experience in Dublin GAA. This quote is from long serving Dublin GAA GPO/GDA Pauric McDonald on the differences he observed in development squads from when he set out 2 decades ago to the current time: "I went back the following year to an U15 development squad. And if you were to compare the quality of player coming through then to the U13s now, the difference is night and day. Kids were coming into us without the basic skills. They were kick-passing a five-yard pass instead of hand-passing it but their instinct was to kick it along the ground. So they obviously hadn’t been exposed to any level of coaching. I look now at U14 football in Dublin and the standard of football in the county is phenomenal. The level of individual skill the players have, the level of coaching teams, it’s incomparable to the late ’90s, early ’00s. And a big reason why is obviously the GDO system going into Dublin."

This all doesn't really sound like it's just a primary school operation to me. It's a multi layered system that has had huge benefits. The professional coaches had impacts on clubs right the way through, from the kids all the way up. Let's get a real example of this. Ballymun Kickams received the services of James Glancy. He was coaching the clubs minor team when he spotted 2 17 year olds called Dean Rock and James McCarthy. McCarthy in particular was very thin. Glancy assisted in getting gym equipment set up and watched over the transformation of McCarthy's physique. These were 2 talented players but were brought on again with the assistance of a development officer. Just one example again to show the help the money made. I don't believe Rock and McCarthy were still in primary school at 17 years of age.

James Glancy role in Ballymun was to coach in primary schools. He not a S&C coach. Paddy Christie managed and coached Rock and McCarthy. He might of brought Glancy as a selector as when managed Dublin minor had Glancy with him.

Wiki is where Enquiring; is getting info. Let's for argument's say the indo had a typo and said 83 instead of 84.Even though wiki not a credible source.

From 85 to 91 no dublin in the leinster u21 final for sure.
    Whereas previous it was said it was only 3 years in the 80's.

I know well there were other intermittent spells out as well saw it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

I believe the phrase is 'bucky and some curry chips' (I am fluent in cluchie!) :D

I can say with absolute certainty I have never heard of or had that combination. Curry chips are grand no matter where you're from surely. Your culchie translator is on the blink.

Gael85 wrote: »
    James Glancy role in Ballymun was to coach in primary schools. He not a S&C coach. Paddy Christie managed and coached Rock and McCarthy. He might of brought Glancy as a selector as when managed Dublin minor had Glancy with him.

Correction, part of Glancy's role was to coach in primary schools. As was pointed out by other officials within Dublin GAA, the professional coaches had many other roles within a club. Assisting the development of McCarthy and Rock was just one example of a development officer making a major difference well outside primary school aged players.

You provided an article which stated that Dublin didn't compete in the u21 championship for years which included a year that they won the Leinster u21 title. :pac:

Your decades claim has been shown to be nonsense.

See below discussing the above.

• Advertisement

Wiki is where Enquiring; is getting info. Let's for argument's say the indo had a typo and said 83 instead of 84.Even though wiki not a credible source.

From 85 to 91 no dublin in the leinster u21 final for sure.
    Whereas previous it was said it was only 3 years in the 80's.

I know well there were other intermittent spells out as well saw it before.

No, you don't, you were caught out. It was for a few years in the 80's. That's not wiki information or some dodgy article you produced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement