Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real life people Fr Ted characters were based on.

• 03-12-2020 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭

Not so much the main regular four, Ted, Dougal, Jack and Mrs Doyle but a lot of the one off guests and recurring supporting characters. Bishop Brennan is clearly inspired by Eamon Casey. Niamh Connolly the feminist singer is based on Sinead O Connor and Eoin Maclove is clearly Wee Daniel. I'm curious about who Harry Sellers was based on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Not so much the main regular four, Ted, Dougal, Jack and Mrs Doyle but a lot of the one off guests and recurring supporting characters. Bishop Brennan is clearly inspired by Eamon Casey. Niamh Connolly the feminist singer is based on Sinead O Connor and Eoin Maclove is clearly Wee Daniel. I'm curious about who Harry Sellers was based on.

Henry Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Graham Norton pretty much played himself as Noel Furlong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Henry Kelly

He must have been fond of the sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Richard Wilson from the episode "The Mainland" is based on Victor Meldrew.
    There is only one appropriate response to this comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Richard Wilson from the episode "The Mainland" is based on Victor Meldrew.
    There is only one appropriate response to this comment.

I cannot accept that to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Father Billy O'Dwyer a.k.a. The SpinMaster = Brian D'Arcy??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭E mac

Mrs Doyle is pretty much every rural housewife born in the 40/50's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Many of the real side characters are the best ones imo, reflecting often seen characters in Ireland. Such as the overtly racist oul one, or Fr. Stones father who viewed his priest son as a complete disappointment, or the rich farmers in the sheep episode. Loved the bit about the priest with Larry Duff held up because he was running guns for the IRA

The John and Mary couple was a simple stereotype for pre divorce Ireland but worked well too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

We willl never see the genius of this again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Niamh connolly was also partly based on Dolores O'Riordan I always thought.
    Was the female writer who Ted fell in love with based on anybody i wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bishop Brennan is an Eamonn Casey/Archbishop John Charles McQuaid mash up.

Dermot Morgans pre Ted Fr Trendy was a thinly disguised parody of Fr Bryan Darcy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Two I wonder about:

Fr. Fintan Stack, (Brendan Grace)

And of course, Pat Mustard.

I did the visit the house a few years ago & had the tea....which was served by a girl who was one of the Hairy Babies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

bishop brennan isnt based on eamon casey , he could be based on any hypocritical man of the cloth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    bishop brennan isnt based on eamon casey , he could be based on any hypocritical man of the cloth

He is overtly based on Casey. The videotape of him and his girlfriend (not at there was a tape of Casey). The voice, which is exactly what Casey sounded like.

Philipx wrote: »
    I did the visit the house a few years ago & had the tea....which was served by a girl who was one of the Hairy Babies :D

Thats what she told you and you believed her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Was the female writer who Ted fell in love with based on anybody i wonder?

Yeah, she had the look of Dolores and the attitude of Sinead O'Connor.

As for the writer, Marian Keyes maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

He is overtly based on Casey. The videotape of him and his girlfriend (not at there was a tape of Casey). The voice, which is exactly what Casey sounded like.

yeah plus the video tape shows the secret son in America which was exactly based on Bishop Casey

I wonder was Father Jesop based on anyone, he was a kind of bishops enforcer

Cant think that Pat Mustard was based on anyone apart from the milkman sleeping around stereotype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah plus the video tape shows the secret son in America which was exactly based on Bishop Casey

I wonder was Father Jesop based on anyone, he was a kind of bishops enforcer

Cant think that Pat Mustard was based on anyone apart from the milkman sleeping around stereotype.

Think Pat Mustard was based on Sony Knowles. He looked like him even...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Think Pat Mustard was based on Sony Knowles. He looked like him even...

Graham Linehan based him on a fella Roddy Doyle knew from Darndale called George Burgess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

KevRossi wrote: »
    Graham Linehan based him on a fella Roddy Doyle knew from Darndale called George Burgess.

George Burgess was a character in the Commitments as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭The Mulk

DellyBelly wrote: »
    George Burgess was a character in the Commitments as well...

Jimmy Rabbitte was in the Commitments too, and rabbits followed Fr. Jack....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Philipx wrote: »
    Two I wonder about:

Fr. Fintan Stack, (Brendan Grace)

And of course, Pat Mustard.

You can visit the house and have tea !! ?

I went there around 2005/06 and took a photo at the gate, but it was a private residence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Who is Father Stone based on?
    My favourite scene...:pac:

''I'm having a ba-ath''...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I went there around 2005/06 and took a photo at the gate, but it was a private residence.

It's open during Ted Fest. Took a visit last year. Heart dropped when I walked in the door and it was completely different to what you see in the show. Then I realised that I knew that already and that I'm a feckin eejit.

Yeah the owners of the house do tea and cakes during tourist season. They opened it up for that Father Ted documentary Small, Far Away screened a couple of years ago and yeah of course its nothing like the set that was in a studio in London anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

If you ring to make an appointment, you can call in for tea. I had coffee.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭cml387

I've never seen this confirmed, but the upstairs of the parochial house bears a remarkable resemblance to the upstairs of Fawlty Towers. Have a look sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I don’t enjoy Clare Grogan in the Sinead/Dolores role. Her Irish accent is shockin’ and that’s especially a problem in a show filled with natural Irish accents. I think Linehan wanted her on the show because she was a teenage crush of his but he should have gone with a different actress. It’s a shame because the character is really well-written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The female solicitor that slapped Ted for being sexist and condescending is based on every woman that has had the good fortune to work alongside me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The WW2 mad priest with the nazi war criminal hidden in his house was a sly nod to the Vatican's support for the nazi regime during the war.

The WW2 mad priest with the nazi war criminal hidden in his house was a sly nod to the Vatican's support for the nazi regime during the war.

yeah definitely. In a similar vein I thought Ted and Dougal fixing the raffle for the Ford Cortina was a nod to the Irish Sweepstakes scandal. The line Ted said to the crowd about him being at a raffle where the people who ran the raffle actually won it seemed to be a reference to what happened with the Irish Sweepstakes

Anyone know who was the Dancing Priest referencing? Was it that priest in Ballyfermot who ran concerts but later turned out to be a serial sex abuser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Looked like Dolores O'Riordan; behaved like Sinead O'Connor :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Fr Jose Fernandez (who drives a Porsche)

Pretty much every priest who got into it for the riches (so probably everyone at the Vatican)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Anyone know who was the Dancing Priest referencing? Was it that priest in Ballyfermot who ran concerts but later turned out to be a serial sex abuser?

Pretty sure the Dancing Priest referred to this muppet - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Horan

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Pat Mustard / Fred West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Demonique wrote: »
    Pretty sure the Dancing Priest referred to this muppet - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Horan

What an odd man;

“ In 2004 he was found not guilty of indecent assault against a seven-year-old girl. Though he did admit that he was naked while the girl tickled him and while they played hide-and-seek, during the court case he also claimed to own only one pair of tight-fitting green satin underpants that have never been washed as he needs them to 'always be ready for use', at one point Horan produced the pants from his pocket to show the jury.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

What an odd man;

“ In 2004 he was found not guilty of indecent assault against a seven-year-old girl. Though he did admit that he was naked while the girl tickled him and while they played hide-and-seek, during the court case he also claimed to own only one pair of tight-fitting green satin underpants that have never been washed as he needs them to 'always be ready for use', at one point Horan produced the pants from his pocket to show the jury.”
    Did well for himself afterwards though, with One Direction.

He really got his life back on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

What an odd man;

A truly horrible man, seems to go out of his way to be as disgusting as possible. Worse than Hitler. You wouldn't find Hitler doing a cringeworthy 'Irish jig' on Britain's Got Talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Fintan Stack was based on James Reilly

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

What an odd man;

didn't he pull some stunt during the 2014 Olympics? shoved the leader of The Marathon into the crowd or something to that affect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

didn't he pull some stunt during the 2014 Olympics? shoved the leader of The Marathon into the crowd or something to that affect
    And ran out onto a live race track, Silverstone, during the British GP. Feckin' eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Athens 2004 - he deprived a Brazilian runner of a gold medal in the marathon.

With the benefit of hindsight, nothing of any worth would have been lost if he had been taken out by an F1 car at Silverstone the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

.anon. wrote: »
    Athens 2004 - he deprived a Brazilian runner of a gold medal in the marathon.

With the benefit of hindsight, nothing of any worth would have been lost if he had been taken out by an F1 car at Silverstone the previous year.

Ah now those F1 cars are very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Thats what she told you and you believed her?

Did the moustache not give it away?

Yeah his F1 stunt was one thing but he was only ever going to hurt himself. Him attacking the Brazilian runner was far worse, he was leading the race for a gold medal but the Dancing Priest put him completely off his rhythm and he got over taken. Imagine training for four years to try win a gold medal at the Olympics and you're leading the race until this fruitcake dressed in the tricolour jumps out of the crowd and attacks you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

We've organised a couple of 'Tea and scones at Fr Ted's' fundraisers in aid of the RNLI. Had some great crowds there.
    Yeah the owners of the house do tea and cakes during tourist season. They opened it up for that Father Ted documentary Small, Far Away screened a couple of years ago and yeah of course its nothing like the set that was in a studio in London anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

The raffle was for a Rover 200 series. Ted drove the Cortina.

yeah definitely. In a similar vein I thought Ted and Dougal fixing the raffle for the Ford Cortina was a nod to the Irish Sweepstakes scandal. The line Ted said to the crowd about him being at a raffle where the people who ran the raffle actually won it seemed to be a reference to what happened with the Irish Sweepstakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Yeah his F1 stunt was one thing but he was only ever going to hurt himself. Him attacking the Brazilian runner was far worse, he was leading the race for a gold medal but the Dancing Priest put him completely off his rhythm and he got over taken. Imagine training for four years to try win a gold medal at the Olympics and you're leading the race until this fruitcake dressed in the tricolour jumps out of the crowd and attacks you.

The F1 stunt was worse imo, if one of the cars hit him it could have resulted in the driver being seriously injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Demonique wrote: »
    The F1 stunt was worse imo, if one of the cars hit him it could have resulted in the driver being seriously injured

And a further pile up ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I'm not so sure the dancing priest in Ted was based on Horan, I dont think he was that well known in 1995, his real notoriety came later in the early 00s. Its possible though that he might been carrying on his dancing priest schtick much earlier, dont know much about his back story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement