Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real life people Fr Ted characters were based on.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The WW2 mad priest with the nazi war criminal hidden in his house was a sly nod to the Vatican's support for the nazi regime during the war.

yeah definitely. In a similar vein I thought Ted and Dougal fixing the raffle for the Ford Cortina was a nod to the Irish Sweepstakes scandal. The line Ted said to the crowd about him being at a raffle where the people who ran the raffle actually won it seemed to be a reference to what happened with the Irish Sweepstakes

Anyone know who was the Dancing Priest referencing? Was it that priest in Ballyfermot who ran concerts but later turned out to be a serial sex abuser?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Niamh connolly was also partly based on Dolores O'Riordan I always thought.

Looked like Dolores O'Riordan; behaved like Sinead O'Connor :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Fr Jose Fernandez (who drives a Porsche)

Pretty much every priest who got into it for the riches (so probably everyone at the Vatican)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know who was the Dancing Priest referencing? Was it that priest in Ballyfermot who ran concerts but later turned out to be a serial sex abuser?

Pretty sure the Dancing Priest referred to this muppet - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Horan

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Pat Mustard / Fred West

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Demonique wrote: »
    Pretty sure the Dancing Priest referred to this muppet - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Horan

What an odd man;

“ In 2004 he was found not guilty of indecent assault against a seven-year-old girl. Though he did admit that he was naked while the girl tickled him and while they played hide-and-seek, during the court case he also claimed to own only one pair of tight-fitting green satin underpants that have never been washed as he needs them to 'always be ready for use', at one point Horan produced the pants from his pocket to show the jury.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

What an odd man;

“ In 2004 he was found not guilty of indecent assault against a seven-year-old girl. Though he did admit that he was naked while the girl tickled him and while they played hide-and-seek, during the court case he also claimed to own only one pair of tight-fitting green satin underpants that have never been washed as he needs them to 'always be ready for use', at one point Horan produced the pants from his pocket to show the jury.”
    Did well for himself afterwards though, with One Direction.

He really got his life back on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

What an odd man;

A truly horrible man, seems to go out of his way to be as disgusting as possible. Worse than Hitler. You wouldn't find Hitler doing a cringeworthy 'Irish jig' on Britain's Got Talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Fintan Stack was based on James Reilly

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

What an odd man;

didn't he pull some stunt during the 2014 Olympics? shoved the leader of The Marathon into the crowd or something to that affect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

didn't he pull some stunt during the 2014 Olympics? shoved the leader of The Marathon into the crowd or something to that affect
    And ran out onto a live race track, Silverstone, during the British GP. Feckin' eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Athens 2004 - he deprived a Brazilian runner of a gold medal in the marathon.

With the benefit of hindsight, nothing of any worth would have been lost if he had been taken out by an F1 car at Silverstone the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

.anon. wrote: »
    Athens 2004 - he deprived a Brazilian runner of a gold medal in the marathon.

With the benefit of hindsight, nothing of any worth would have been lost if he had been taken out by an F1 car at Silverstone the previous year.

Ah now those F1 cars are very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Thats what she told you and you believed her?

Did the moustache not give it away?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah his F1 stunt was one thing but he was only ever going to hurt himself. Him attacking the Brazilian runner was far worse, he was leading the race for a gold medal but the Dancing Priest put him completely off his rhythm and he got over taken. Imagine training for four years to try win a gold medal at the Olympics and you're leading the race until this fruitcake dressed in the tricolour jumps out of the crowd and attacks you.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

We've organised a couple of 'Tea and scones at Fr Ted's' fundraisers in aid of the RNLI. Had some great crowds there.
    Yeah the owners of the house do tea and cakes during tourist season. They opened it up for that Father Ted documentary Small, Far Away screened a couple of years ago and yeah of course its nothing like the set that was in a studio in London anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

The raffle was for a Rover 200 series. Ted drove the Cortina.

yeah definitely. In a similar vein I thought Ted and Dougal fixing the raffle for the Ford Cortina was a nod to the Irish Sweepstakes scandal. The line Ted said to the crowd about him being at a raffle where the people who ran the raffle actually won it seemed to be a reference to what happened with the Irish Sweepstakes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Yeah his F1 stunt was one thing but he was only ever going to hurt himself. Him attacking the Brazilian runner was far worse, he was leading the race for a gold medal but the Dancing Priest put him completely off his rhythm and he got over taken. Imagine training for four years to try win a gold medal at the Olympics and you're leading the race until this fruitcake dressed in the tricolour jumps out of the crowd and attacks you.

The F1 stunt was worse imo, if one of the cars hit him it could have resulted in the driver being seriously injured

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Demonique wrote: »
    The F1 stunt was worse imo, if one of the cars hit him it could have resulted in the driver being seriously injured

And a further pile up ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I'm not so sure the dancing priest in Ted was based on Horan, I dont think he was that well known in 1995, his real notoriety came later in the early 00s. Its possible though that he might been carrying on his dancing priest schtick much earlier, dont know much about his back story.

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure the dancing priest in Ted was based on Horan, I dont think he was that well known in 1995, his real notoriety came later in the early 00s. Its possible though that he might been carrying on his dancing priest schtick much earlier, dont know much about his back story.
    I recall him being interviewed on the radio before he pulled those awful stunts, possibly by Gerry Ryan. I remember recalling the interview when he became infamous. Not sure if that was round the time of Fr Ted or not, though, but he had been around a good while before the 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I recall him being interviewed on the radio before he pulled those awful stunts, possibly by Gerry Ryan. I remember recalling the interview when he became infamous. Not sure if that was round the time of Fr Ted or not, though, but he had been around a good while before the 00s.

He wasn't in public prominence, but I had read a bit about him in a book by Liam Fay from 1997:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQm7HZajgvPAXjM-lnZ4FlXBALMm6PjTAB668HvAF-drBTn54e1

cml387 wrote: »
    He wasn't in public prominence, but I had read a bit about him in a book by Liam Fay from 1997:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQm7HZajgvPAXjM-lnZ4FlXBALMm6PjTAB668HvAF-drBTn54e1

Ah ok, I remember seeing that bookcover in Easons or Waterstones. Had forgotten about that.

I've long suspected that Tom, of the I Shot JR t shirt was partially based on Brendan Patrick O Donnell who murdered three people in Co Clare in 1994.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

A lot of the character's are actually based on the locals in the Kilfenora/Carron/Corofin area.

Most of the Chinese people were working in Chinese restaurants in Clare, the Lingerie scene was Dunnes stores in Ennis.
    The roundabout with the milk float driven by Pat Mustard was in Lisdoonvarna.

Missus Doyles accent was very like a North Clare accent, similarly the lady who suggested that the Greeks invented Gayness had a Clare accent.

Fr Ted is a Clare thing, it's location is from Fanore to Corofin right across to Ennistymon, almost like a triangle.

Up the Banner

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What an odd man;

I met that clown once. I was at an anti West Bank settlement protest in London and turned round when I heard some Irish trad music to find him leading a 1 man pro Israeli counter protest up the middle of the crowd.

Hes also the one who disrupted the Athens olympic marathon, ran out in front of a Formula 1 car and is Jedwards uncle

I've long suspected that Tom, of the I Shot JR t shirt was partially based on Brendan Patrick O Donnell who murdered three people in Co Clare in 1994.

I have thought that too.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    ... is Jedwards uncle

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Really?

I should point out this is only something I heard and have no proof of so sorry if someone was just pulling my leg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

OEgiYPI
    OEgiYPI.jpeg

Love how you get a sense of the characters personalities on this

Advertisement