Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real life people Fr Ted characters were based on.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

I've long suspected that Tom, of the I Shot JR t shirt was partially based on Brendan Patrick O Donnell who murdered three people in Co Clare in 1994.

Linehan has said the character is based on Bill McKinney's character in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, who drives around with a car boot full of rabbits that he shoots.
    I think OP means Tony Walsh. He was kind of semi famous in the 80s as a "singing priest", I think he might have performed with Cleary but open to correction on that. Hes been convicted since of numerous counts of rape/sexual assault.

He was part of the All-Priests Show. Saw footage of him on Six One with his priest friends pixellated and his voice muted. He seemed to have a more of an Alvin Stardust/Gene Vincent thing going on. I have often been morbidly curious to actually hear his singing voice. My uncle (briefly a Catholic priest before switching sides in order to marry and have kids) worked with him, briefly. Said he fooled people.

Yeah, she had the look of Dolores and the attitude of Sinead O'Connor.

As for the writer, Marian Keyes maybe?

Keyes is too young.
    I suppose there's a bit of Edna O'Brien and Maeve Binchy in there.

I don’t enjoy Clare Grogan in the Sinead/Dolores role. Her Irish accent is shockin’ and that’s especially a problem in a show filled with natural Irish accents. I think Linehan wanted her on the show because she was a teenage crush of his but he should have gone with a different actress. It’s a shame because the character is really well-written.

Same here about Claire Grogan, mad crush on her when I saw her in Gregory’s Girl!

Side note regarding that Kenny Live clip, Miriam was an insanely hot woman!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The short segment with Larry Duff and other priests getting stopped by the British Army and one of them running away- was that a reference to anything? Not sure but was there a priest caught up in IRA gun running at one stage?

This lad was subject of a longrunning extradition saga

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Ryan_(Irish_priest)

Also I believe a priest was heavily involved in the Claudy atrocity, I'm sure a good proportion of clergy were at least sympathetic to that cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

What about Fr. Jimmy Rannible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I have met a few Fintan Stack type priests over the years. Ignorant as feck.

If you ever say that to me again...

Suddenly reminded who the writer I was trying to think of who reminded me of Polly Clarke in God Created Woman.

Deirdre Purcell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Side note regarding that Kenny Live clip, Miriam was an insanely hot woman!

Less of the was !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Would be great if they did a short spin off series or a special for Christmas?

You could have Fr Dougal becoming Bishop (clerical error of course) and say Dylan Moran becoming the new (not religious) parish priest. Mrs Doyle would be replaced by her daughter and the the Foil Arms and Hog trio would place other priests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

saabsaab wrote: »
    Would be great if they did a short spin off series or a special for Christmas?

You could have Fr Dougal becoming Bishop (clerical error of course) and say Dylan Moran becoming the new (not religious) parish priest. Mrs Doyle would be replaced by her daughter and the the Foil Arms and Hog trio would place other priests.

Eh, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭saabsaab

trashcan wrote: »
    Eh, no.

Ah go on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

saabsaab wrote: »
    Ah go on!

:D. You will you will you will you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Loved the bit about the priest with Larry Duff held up because he was running guns for the IRA

no that was Fr Williams, and he was based on Fr Paddy Ryan who ran for election back in the late 80's on the anti extradition ticket

also, Mattie Hislop was based on Matt Talbot and Father Barty Dunne the laughing priest i think was based on Fr Brian Darcy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Wonder if Jon Kenny's Eurovision presenter was based on someone in RTE, the chap who offscreen talks drunken gibberish but once onscreen is slick and articulate?

Gerry Ryan I’d say

Well, yes, considering if he was of his head on coke while in the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Fr Fintan Fay is based on Micheal Martin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Father Brian Eno was based on a guy they used to see cycling around Kilburn.

He only did it so his fee would go to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Well, yes, considering if he was of his head on coke while in the studio.

Off.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Off.

I hear you're a Grammar Nazi now

Down with that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I hear you're a Grammar Nazi now

Down with that sort of thing.

Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

I remember hearing Brendan Grace being interviewed about the Finta Stack character. He said he was given the script and the type of guy Finta Stack was. He went into the interview and that voice came out of him. He said it just happened but it was one of his old teachers in CBS. That's exactly how he spoke and he was pure evil. It wasnt planned. And the producers loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yes and he also said iirc, that others at the audition were doing Fr Stack as a mad loud wild thug, but he went the opposite for the more sinister conniving type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Bit more of an obscure one, but the (unseen)character of Matty Hislop from "Cigarettes and Alcohol and Rollerblading" is based on Matt Talbot, who has a street and bridge named after him in Dublin.

"Who?" "Matty Hislop. He was a notorious drunkard who found God and then decided to punish himself for his sins. Oh, he used to do all kinds of things. Like he had this terrible allergic reaction to cats. So instead of avoiding them, he used to carry a kitten in his pocket. He'd sniff it from time to time. His head just inflated like a balloon."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Talbot

*I say unseen but there is actually a painting in the background of him sticking his hand in a toaster :D

https://youtu.be/PIY9WCRAVZE

Obscure? I thought that was a glaringly obvious reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

larko wrote: »
    I remember hearing Brendan Grace being interviewed about the Finta Stack character. He said he was given the script and the type of guy Finta Stack was. He went into the interview and that voice came out of him. He said it just happened but it was one of his old teachers in CBS. That's exactly how he spoke and he was pure evil. It wasnt planned. And the producers loved it.

Ted I can see up your trousers.

Advertisement