Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real life people Fr Ted characters were based on.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

KevMayo88 wrote: »
    OEgiYPI
    OEgiYPI.jpeg

Love how you get a sense of the characters personalities on this

Amazing they had so many good characters in such a short run

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Fr Jose Fernandez (who drives a Porsche)

Pretty much every priest who got into it for the riches (so probably everyone at the Vatican)
    Also when Ted was ringing the vatican looking for a few bob, the archbishop telling him they were absolutely skint while having an expensive party complete with prostitutes.
    Vatican hoovers up money but never gives anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I stayed in a hotel last night and was in the breakfast room this morning with my friend who's dying of a hangover. She gets severe hangovers and was sitting there pale as a ghost taking deep breaths. Mrs. Doyle aka the waitress lady comes over and says you'll have the full Irish and a cup of tea...my friend said no thanks, I'm fine...the waitress says will ya go way out of that sure you will you will you will. My friend looked like she was about to puke and I got a fit of the giggles. She said I really wont and the waitress said ah will you stop being daft sure you will you will you will. I was in tears laughing and had to leave the table :)
    The waitress even looked like Mrs. Doyle. My friend had to leave the table to be sick. The waitress said again tell her not to be too long and I'll bring her breakfast so I will. I couldn't stop laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah his F1 stunt was one thing but he was only ever going to hurt himself. Him attacking the Brazilian runner was far worse, he was leading the race for a gold medal but the Dancing Priest put him completely off his rhythm and he got over taken. Imagine training for four years to try win a gold medal at the Olympics and you're leading the race until this fruitcake dressed in the tricolour jumps out of the crowd and attacks you.

The guy who was leading probably wouldn’t have won, he was being gained on fast. But it’s a travesty that he didn’t get to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

Going back to Henry Sellers, I would guess he was partly inspired by Eamonn Andrews.

OK for young folk Eamonn Andrews was the Graham Norton of his day.

His reputation in Ireland was near god-like so it was a nice conceit to imagine he had a dark side.

Now if you want did deeper you may find out that there were (completely unfounded) allegations that there was a dark side to Eamonn Andrews which featured in this intriguing clip from Kenny Live with someone you might recognise (the writer making the allegation is about to storm out).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

cml387 wrote: »
    Going back to Henry Sellers, I would guess he was partly inspired by Eamonn Andrews.

His reputation in Ireland was near god-like so it was a nice conceit to imagine he had a dark side.

Now if you want did deeper you may find out that there were (completely unfounded) allegations that there was a dark side to Eamonn Andrews which featured in this intriguing clip from Kenny Live with someone you might recognise (the writer making the allegation is about to storm out).

I remember watching that at the time, yer man storming out and them meekly coming back when Pat calls him back.

He got a lot of stick for that book I recall with the general consensus that it was a hatchet job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Anyone know who was the Dancing Priest referencing? Was it that priest in Ballyfermot who ran concerts but later turned out to be a serial sex abuser?

If you mean the late Fr Michael Clery, I'm not sure it's fair to call him a "serial sex abuser". He was, in effect, a married family man with a son. Which of course was not, and is still not, permitted for members of the Catholic clergy.

But serial sex abuser? I doubt it.

Maybe referring to Fr Tony Walsh.

But in fairness Fr. Ted has now been a bit spoiled by the revelations since. I know the writers have mentioned that if they knew then what they know now some scenes would not have been shown, indeed could it even have been made. Which is sad.

If you mean the late Fr Michael Clery, I'm not sure it's fair to call him a "serial sex abuser". He was, in effect, a married family man with a son. Which of course was not, and is still not, permitted for members of the Catholic clergy.

I think OP means Tony Walsh. He was kind of semi famous in the 80s as a "singing priest", I think he might have performed with Cleary but open to correction on that. Hes been convicted since of numerous counts of rape/sexual assault.

Sellers was probably a mix of things but I always thought there was definitely a bit of Wogan in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

His 'wife' was 15 years old when he first slept with her. He would visit girl's schools giving talks on them maintaining their purity and not leading boys astray, videos of which were shown in schools around the country. I sat through a few. He was obviously a hypocrite at best and a predator at worst. May have not been a 'serial' child abuser, but a child abuser all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Thats what she told you and you believed her?

No reason not to :rolleyes:

You could book it for tea & scones (I presume you still can).

I believe most interior scenes were done on a set.

The family have a front room set up with a few props, the black tape Hitler moustache on the window etc. Harmless enough :P

It's still a regular stop for photos at the gate, even after all this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think OP means Tony Walsh. He was kind of semi famous in the 80s as a "singing priest", I think he might have performed with Cleary but open to correction on that. Hes been convicted since of numerous counts of rape/sexual assault.

Yeah it was Tony Walsh I was referring to, just couldnt remember the name. I remember seeing footage of him singing at some concert in Ballyfermot, there was probably a thousand people there all singing along, he was like a rock star at the time. Wiki says he was associated with Father Michael Cleary
    In the late 1970s, Walsh became part of Father Michael Cleary's All Priests Show as an Elvis impersonator.[1][2] He was dropped from the show in the 1980s following rumours of child abuse, which were not reported to the Gardaí.[1] He was known as a "singing" priest.[1]

Now if you want did deeper you may find out that there were (completely unfounded) allegations that there was a dark side to The Eamonn Andrews which featured in this intriguing clip from Kenny Live with someone you might recognise (the writer making the allegation is about to storm out).

The writer didn't make a convincing argument about Eamonn Andrews by storming out so I will stay with my opinion that Eamonn was a decent sod.
    I don’t enjoy Clare Grogan in the Sinead/Dolores role. Her Irish accent is shockin’ and that’s especially a problem in a show filled with natural Irish accents. I think Linehan wanted her on the show because she was a teenage crush of his but he should have gone with a different actress. It’s a shame because the character is really well-written.

It's a caricature of a south Dublin arty accent, not intended to be totally real. As such it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I'm sure he was a very nice man, but I don't understand his God-like reputation. He presented a British remake of a cheesy American light entertainment show for thirty years. I'd rank Graham Norton way above him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

CountNjord wrote: »
    the Lingerie scene was Dunnes stores in Ennis.

Was it Ireland's biggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

thw whole elvis impersonator priest thing... there was a real elvis impersonator priest who was also fiddling with kids.

edit: already mentioned i see!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭interlocked

.anon. wrote: »
    I'm sure he was a very nice man, but I don't understand his God-like reputation. He presented a British remake of a cheesy American light entertainment show for thirty years. I'd rank Graham Norton way above him.

Because you're taking it out of context.

The BBC in the 60's 70's and 80's was by modern standards horrifically bad, look for example, Dr Who, Blakes 7, or most of the sitcoms, the sets and the special effects were in retrospect, really poor.

BUT, we were looking in awe at the same channels, thinking that they were incredible, so when of our own made it over there, we thought it was a huge achievement.

The ironic thing was that the Late Late Show, really rewrote the book on chat shows, it really was groundbreaking in its impact, the guests were not announced in advance, you had no idea what was coming next, it could have been anything, a five minute slot or an entire show, it's hard to explain if you weren't alive at the time, but if you ask Graham Norton, I'd say he'd agree it was just brilliant tv

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Bit more of an obscure one, but the (unseen)character of Matty Hislop from "Cigarettes and Alcohol and Rollerblading" is based on Matt Talbot, who has a street and bridge named after him in Dublin.

"Who?" "Matty Hislop. He was a notorious drunkard who found God and then decided to punish himself for his sins. Oh, he used to do all kinds of things. Like he had this terrible allergic reaction to cats. So instead of avoiding them, he used to carry a kitten in his pocket. He'd sniff it from time to time. His head just inflated like a balloon."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Talbot

*I say unseen but there is actually a painting in the background of him sticking his hand in a toaster :D

https://youtu.be/PIY9WCRAVZE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

What about Father Shortall? I suppose, he's based on an 80 year old priest?

• Advertisement

Wonder if Jon Kenny's Eurovision presenter was based on someone in RTE, the chap who offscreen talks drunken gibberish but once onscreen is slick and articulate?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A song for Europe - we owned Eurovision in the 1990's

In 1990 we came second

We won in 1992,1993,1994

In 1995 Norway won. But with only 24 words in the song it was really an instrumental by Fionnuala Sherry.
    The rules got changed to stop anyone trying that trick again.

1996 we won.

Came second in 1997

No wonder RTE were scared of having to pay out to host it again.

The video that inspired the My Lovely Horse one

The short segment with Larry Duff and other priests getting stopped by the British Army and one of them running away- was that a reference to anything? Not sure but was there a priest caught up in IRA gun running at one stage?

The short segment with Larry Duff and other priests getting stopped by the British Army and one of them running away- was that a reference to anything? Not sure but was there a priest caught up in IRA gun running at one stage?

I don't know about a border incident but one of the IRAs top smugglers was a priest.
    I think he also credits himself with inventing the IRA system of bomb timers using these little european parking ticket timers

ah that was probably it, had just read somewhere years back a priest was involved with them.

Bit more of an obscure one, but the (unseen)character of Matty Hislop from "Cigarettes and Alcohol and Rollerblading" is based on Matt Talbot, who has a street and bridge named after him in Dublin.

"Who?" "Matty Hislop. He was a notorious drunkard who found God and then decided to punish himself for his sins. Oh, he used to do all kinds of things. Like he had this terrible allergic reaction to cats. So instead of avoiding them, he used to carry a kitten in his pocket. He'd sniff it from time to time. His head just inflated like a balloon."

*I say unseen but there is actually a painting in the background of him sticking his hand in a toaster :D

That is an excellent spot. Kudos to you sir.

Imagine having your love of bondage misinterpreted to the point that you get a bridge named after ya in Dublin

Fr O Shea, a one off character who appears in Flight Into Terror. Its revealed that he impregnated his housekeeper, as Michael Cleary did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Think Pat Mustard was based on Sony Knowles. He looked like him even...

I believe the intetnion was to parody 70s erotic-based British humour, the Confessions... films, the more ribald end of Benny Hill, the later CArry Ons...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I have met a few Fintan Stack type priests over the years. Ignorant as feck.

Advertisement