Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

First time you've heard McConkey speak?
    The man changes his mind every few minutes thats nothing new.

I see him on TV but, genuinely never paid much attention to him.

Hard to take any of them seriously these days

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Ok. :confused:

Schools weren't off during this survey.
    Liverpool won months ago.

Did you even read the survey or are you just trying a lame attempt at humour. :)

Nope, was being deadly serious.

Saw it earlier today, didn't click on it. I can't honestly see how anyone's life has "improved" due to a pandemic, unless it's Liverpool supporters, who won the league or Kids, who didn't have to go to school.

Liverpool may have won it months ago but, they're still on a buzz about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Azatadine wrote: »
    Not to mention that he's always about 2 mins away from RTE wheeling him out to dish out negativity in case people start to feel hope.....

He'll go back into deep freeze until the next pandemic when this is all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Apart from McConkey and his doomsday outlook, there doesn’t appear to be any claims from the vaccine developers that the vaccine actually prevents contracting the disease. They appear to be claiming at most that it prevents ‘serious illness’.
    I wish they would all publish the detailed results of their trials and stop all the speculation about what their vaccines do, or don’t do. How do they expect people to have confidence in a vaccine when they don’t reveal exactly what the vaccine does?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭blowitupref

HSE operations update

In hospital 222 (decrease of 35)
    In ICU 30 (no change)

• Advertisement

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Apart from McConkey and his doomsday outlook, there doesn’t appear to be any claims from the vaccine developers that the vaccine actually prevents contracting the disease. They appear to be claiming at most that it prevents ‘serious illness’.
    I wish they would all publish the detailed results of their trials and stop all the speculation about what their vaccines do, or don’t do. How do they expect people to have confidence in a vaccine when they don’t reveal exactly what the vaccine does?

It has the potential to open a serious can of worms too.

Airlines wanting proof you've had it or you're not allowed travel. Everyone's choice or right to do whatever they want with their bodies. Start messing with that and it could potentially get very nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Preventing severe disease = Reduction in hospitalisations.

Nobody in hospital = No need for restrictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

froog wrote: »
    maybe mconkeys whole deal is hamming up the doom so people stay careful until we know this thing is beat. smart guy.

Hello Sam or is it Thomas Ryan

Clontarf Yacht Club :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 didyoufart?

Any details on suicide rates compared to last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭tigger123

MOR316 wrote: »
    It has the potential to open a serious can of worms too.

Airlines wanting proof you've had it or you're not allowed travel. Everyone's choice or right to do whatever they want with their bodies. Start messing with that and it could potentially get very nasty

It is everyone's right to bodily integrity, but it is equally the right of airlines to not allow you to fly with them if they so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

tigger123 wrote: »
    It is everyone's right to bodily integrity, but it is equally the right of airlines to not allow you to fly with them if they so wish.

I can see people losing there jobs if they won't get a vaccine, if they don't have a valid medical reason to not get it.

Personally could care less about how anti-vaxers are treated. Don't let them on planes, go to concerts, restaurants and let employers fire them imo.

I was just using that as an example.

But again, where does that end? McDonalds for example doesn't let you in because you didn't have it? Not allowed leave your house if you don't have it?

Just saying, if that were the case, it could potentially lead to some nasty episodes in society and could have all kinds of legal ramifications.

Anyways, not arsed discussing it now. Busy trying to score reservations at the Yacht club in Clontarf

wes wrote: »
    Personally could care less about how anti-vaxers are treated. Don't let them on planes, go to concerts, restaurants and let employers fire them imo.

If someone doesn't want to get a vaccine, you ban them altogether? Discriminate them? Like other people in society who made choices based on their bodies and sexual preferences?

This is where it starts

This is only the beginning. The real **** show awaits us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Any details on suicide rates compared to last year?

It's like "long covid" the real effects will not be seen for many years, i recall one NPHET saying long covid was a psychological disease in one of their news conferences and thought it was refreshing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭tigger123

But again, where does that end? McDonalds for example doesn't let you in because you didn't have it? Not allowed leave your house if you don't have it?

Just saying, if that were the case, it could potentially lead to some nasty episodes in society and could have all kinds of legal ramifications.

Anyways, not arsed discussing it now. Busy trying to score reservations at the Yacht club in Clontarf

Again tho, McDonalds are a business, that don't have to serve you, or let you in.

However, I do agree with it being difficult to concentrate on anything when Claire Byrne is on the screen. Very tidy altogether.

I can see people losing there jobs if they won't get a vaccine, if they don't have a valid medical reason to not get it.

Why bother, we don't need that level of immunity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

However, I do agree with it being difficult to concentrate on anything when Claire Byrne is on the screen. Very tidy altogether.

Oh, I read it that it was hard to concentrate cos she keeps on interrupting all guests with that stupid confused look. Horrible interviewer imo.

No offence to other posters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Agreed. While it's great if they prevent serious illness, if they didn't, for example, count asymptomatic cases as people who got it in their study, it makes it much more difficult to predict for herd immunity etc..

HwtV.gif

• Advertisement

Oh, I read it that it was hard to concentrate cos she keeps on interrupting all guests with that stupid confused look. Horrible interviewer imo.

She was interviewing someone?

If it was Liverpool supporters and kids off school that took part in the survey, I'm not surprised.

Have you a link to this gem, I don't want to see a colonoscopy report thanks

did you bang your head on the way to the party??.dosed with Americanisms like I COULD CARE LESS?

I have a moral and ethical reason for not wanting it, it's not smallpox and I'm not covered in buboes..Simon harris shouted from the soap box about a woman's choice..her body her choice..so why cant I just say I don't want one, if 90% get one then what does that matter? should I wear a star of david and catch a train? work will set me free? I've had 1 Flu in 20 years and I've been sick for 1 week in 20 years with the same Flu, never had a vaccine either..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

rusty cole wrote: »
    did you bang your head on the way to the party??.dosed with Americanisms like I COULD CARE LESS?

I have a moral and ethical reason for not wanting it, it's not smallpox and I'm not covered in buboes..Simon harris shouted from the soap box about a woman's choice..her body her choice..so why cant I just say I don't want one, if 90% get one then what does that matter? should I wear a star of david and catch a train? work will set me free? I've had 1 Flu in 20 years and I've been sick for 1 week in 20 years with the same Flu, never had a vaccine either..

So you’ll chose not to take the vaccine, no one is forcing you, what’s the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Arghus wrote: »
    Sure, we'll wait and see.

Gerry Killeen was on Éamonn Dunphy's podcast during the week and he was very positive about how quickly and decisively vaccination will change everything - so you know, it's not inconceivable.

Going on about people being a bunch of c*nts before they've even started talking is a bit much.

He's been on our screens and radios the majority of days since March pushing negative crap with absolutely bonkers conditional projections around cases and deaths which have only served to scare the daylights out of those who use RTE as their sole source of news.

It's completely understandable that people lose their minds when they hear he's coming on, as he's 100/100 at this point. RTE are embarrassing themselves at this stage. Once again those posters are right, Mcconkey is one of the sole professionals in the world expressing doubt about the vaccines, the only source of hope for most. Can you come back and admit now they were right after the fact?

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    So you’ll chose not to take the vaccine, no one is forcing you, what’s the issue?

there is none as I see it, what I don't like is this rhetoric about me not being allowed on a plane, go to work or have a normal life. If the uptake is as high as some think it will be, the whole issue is not up for debate, those who are eager will take the jab and as Robert boyle would say, the skeptical chemists can leave them to it.

This undertone of NO JAB NO JOB is getting some traction as I see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If someone doesn't want to get a vaccine, you ban them altogether? Discriminate them? Like other people in society who made choices based on their bodies and sexual preferences?

This is where it starts

This is only the beginning. The real **** show awaits us

Comparing someone choosing not to take a vaccine to someone's sexual preference, which is something they don't choose is imo messed up.

Simply put, no one has the right to go around infecting people with a disease, due to there choice to not take a vaccine. Your rights stop the second it effects someone else well being.

Anti-vaxers being prevented from infecting people is not discrimination. People have a right not to be infected by selfish idiots.

IMO, its time to stop putting up with dangerous anti-vaxers. If they refuse to be vaccinated, then employers etc have a right and imo a responsibility to protect the health of there staff and there customers (in retail settings).

I am done with anti-vaxers, don't care about them, as they have no right to infect people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

rusty cole wrote: »
    there is none as I see it, what I don't like is this rhetoric about me not being allowed on a plane, go to work or have a normal life. If the uptake is as high as some think it will be, the whole issue is not up for debate, those who are eager will take the jab and as Robert boyle would say, the skeptical chemists can leave them to it.

This undertone of NO JAB NO JOB is getting some traction as I see it!

You’re right, not being vaccinated may hold people back for a period. The people who take the vaccine should kill transmission and it should go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

We hear the mantra every day - Terms & Conditions .
    The provider of any service can apply whatever restrictions they choose as long as they don't contravene any law.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement