Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I think somewhere in my watch fancying habit formative years, I must have had a Rolex vaccination.

There's not a single one that I actually lust after.

I'm no denigrating at all, they just do nowt for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    I think somewhere in my watch fancying habit formative years, I must have had a Rolex vaccination.

There's not a single one that I actually lust after.

I'm no denigrating at all, they just do nowt for me.

I was the same up to about 3-4 years ago. Rolex did nothing for me. Omega was where it was at and the Seamaster in particular. And now look at me :o

Your time will come, oh Lord, you'll see :D

533443.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I'm definitely at the Seamaster stage (300m) when only a few months ago I hated those skeleton hands, now I couldn't imagine the watch without them. I'm not madly into the Rolex stuff however I wouldn't say no to a Daytona or an Explorer Oyster 39mm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I find as I progress as a collector my taste changes and I wax and wane. I have eaten my words more than once.

Nobody likes Rolex, but then you see one you can get, and then you get it, and then you love it, and then you sell it, and then you have 5 of the ****ers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fitz II wrote: »
    I find as I progress as a collector my taste changes and I wax and wane. I have eaten my words more than once.
    Words have provided quite the percentage of my staple diet for many a year F. :D
    Nobody likes Rolex, but then you see one you can get, and then you get it, and then you love it, and then you sell it, and then you have 5 of the ****ers.
    I've done that with trench watches, mil watches, early quartz/electronic, digitals, Longines, Soviet watches, French watches, Seiko, even a foray into early Rolex Oysters in the 90's. Had a brief Swatch phase too, but we won't talk about that. So I really can't talk*. And I've even kinda had my Rolex moment. :eek::D So I'm immunised. Until the next bug hits me. And that's just old watches...

*I'd reckon I've owned at least 100 odd watches in my time. :o

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Wibbs wrote: »
    Words have provided quite the percentage of my staple diet for many a year F. :D
    I've done that with trench watches, mil watches, early quartz/electronic, digitals, Longines, Soviet watches, French watches, Seiko, even a foray into early Rolex Oysters in the 90's. Had a brief Swatch phase too, but we won't talk about that. So I really can't talk*. And I've even kinda had my Rolex moment. :eek::D So I'm immunised. Until the next bug hits me. And that's just old watches...

*I'd reckon I've owned at least 100 odd watches in my time. :o
    Having seen some of your collection is it

100 odd watches or 100 odd watches?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh definitely the latter D. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

I think also sometimes you think you are supposed to like something as everyone else does (e.g the speedmaster or the ND sub both of which do very little for me).

I also have no interest in Rolex for a large part (bar a ceramic Daytona �� or a a few of the white gold Daytona on Oyster flex), however this is largely driven by not having access to them at RRP and not having the desire to pay the grey prices rather than me having unique taste. If available at RRP I would def have tried a hulk, Pepsi and Daytona of some sort (but probably not kept). But they are not available so I have no real interest in playing the game, I do enjoy hurling on the Rolex ditch though a little.

Taste def change. Looking closely at Rose gold lately. Something I would not have dreamed of 3 years ago.

unkel wrote: »
    I was the same up to about 3-4 years ago. Rolex did nothing for me. Omega was where it was at and the Seamaster in particular. And now look at me :o.php?attachmentid=533443&stc=1&d=1605801174[/IMG]

The expl2 will be a nice stepping stone to the YM blue or what not. Watches seem “cheaper” with a trade in mentally at least I.e. “all I have to do is add 3k and my watch” vs shelling out 9k straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

I can’t decide if I’m immune or not.

I do fancy a Milgauss. But really I like the CERN association more than the watch. I don’t work in high magnetic fields. Maybe I should invest in a MRI machine for work, but a €1.5m machine to justify a watch is a touch excessive :)

What I think would irritate me most about any Rolex is the ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX... around the rehaut, it really bugs me. Irrational maybe, but it might be a niggle too far.

dakar wrote: »
    What I think would irritate me most about any Rolex is the ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX... around the rehaut, it really bugs me. Irrational maybe, but it might be a niggle too far.

None of that on my watch :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

The Rolex around the rehaut is quite subtle in reality.

It's not really noticeable to me on my Milgauss unless I move the watch to catch the light in a certain way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Feckin enablers...

Feckin enablers...

They're the worst. I blame them for bringing me into fold :p

Feckin enablers...

We just want someone else to take the depreciation hit.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    The Rolex around the rehaut is quite subtle in reality.

It's not really noticeable to me on my Milgauss unless I move the watch to catch the light in a certain way.

The Serial number is there too, so if you look at any photo if you cant see the serial number you cannot see the Rehaut. Its actually a very good feature, as Rolex ensure that the letter are aligned the same to the dial on every watch. You can spot a snide often because the X doesnt align with the 1 position and the likes. Also its a area that is easy to loupe to check the lettering is crisp and defined. Laser engraving the inside of a curved bit of metal is difficult and the clone factories get this wrong a lot.

I have never really noticed it. But if it bothers you a lot, there are the "non engraved" versions usually 2000 - 2005 Rolex. Royal Oak has a mirror polished one that really catches the light its a nice feature

BTW the Milgauss is only 1000 gauss, wouldnt survive a MRI, Omega watches with the sillicone hairsprings and newer rolex movements are totally amagnetic and immune....IWC Ingenieur is another option or Omega Railmaster...buts lets me honest you want the Rolex :D

https://millenarywatches.com/rolex-engraved-rehaut/

893bet wrote: »
    We just want someone else to take the depreciation hit.

That's Omega you're talking about. No depreciation on Rolex. Damn, am I enabling again now? I know it's no excuse but in my defense I was enabled in the past myself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372839654835
    £429 for a pair of pressed steel endlinks, genuine rolex. There are two, but chances are the buyer only lost one.

Edit, just saw another pair for a GMT, €900.

No wonder that explorer lost its bracelet.

And no wonder why that Rolex is worth nowhere near the "no offers" asking price of €5.5k :D

And it's back! New asking price €5,200 - price non-negotiable :rolleyes: Still only a €4k watch, seller still dreaming...

Linky

• Advertisement

See that one alright.

In fairness the original purchase at 1800 wasnt bad value really given a recent service. These speedmaster are a little undervalued for some reason. Now he is looking for stupid money.

Will he catch a buyer? Sometimes asking price prices drive the offer. Put a watch up for fair value and you still get offers of 80-90 percent. Put it up for stupid money and you may get 50-60 percent offers which could be more than the market value. He may get an offer of 2200 (though I suspect he will be stupid enough not to take it as he thinks he has a 4k watch).

Expensive mechanical watches are not purchased online by people who are unable to simply google the price. I doubt anyone stupid enough would be interested and anyone interested enough would be stupid

Expensive mechanical watches are not purchased online by people who are unable to simply google the price. I doubt anyone stupid enough would be interested and anyone interested enough would be stupid

Thing is when googling the price you end up getting c24 and watchfinder often. Which ain’t the best market value barometer.

893bet wrote: »
    Sometimes asking price prices drive the offer.

I have seen that happen. Weird, isn't it?

And why is that gobsh1te Turnea Nicolae turning up at nearly every higher end watch for sale making €1 offers for PM? Clown.

"Genuine" Rolex showroom wall clock. And the rare prohunter modded version too. Bargain for just GBP1000 :p

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Rolex-Showroom-Clock/203209167641?hash=item2f5035d319:g:g1IAAOSwmGNfy3yV

Looks cool though, would be tempted if I didn't have another one coming my way. Also a fake but at less than a tenth of that price :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Open to offers though. I like the second hand.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Is that an automatic?

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Is that an automatic?

Yes. Only works during earthquakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

10ks worth of g shocks gone up, ill admit im not that well up on them but if this is 10ks worth of watches then ive missed something!

https://www.adverts.ie/member/2136364/ads

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    10ks worth of g shocks gone up, ill admit im not that well up on them but if this is 10ks worth of watches then ive missed something!

https://www.adverts.ie/member/2136364/ads

Must be some pretty rich 12 year old buying those gshocks.

Advertisement