Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭jackboy

So you see the DUP rowing in behind a Dublin government?
    Funniest thing I've read today.
    Thankfully the government has no interest in this Zero Covid BS that those two idiots keep pushing.

I wouldn’t call those scientists idiots. I’d call the politicians idiots that prefer if their citizens die or end up in poverty rather than dealing with political opponents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

jackboy wrote: »
    I wouldn’t call those scientists idiots. I’d call the politicians idiots that prefer if their citizens die or end up in poverty rather than dealing with political opponents.

You can be a scientist and an idiot. I remember Ryan predicting the deaths of 100's of children when the schools reopened. He's an idiot.
    Proverty? You miss the money that is being thrown around like snuff at a funeral.
    Anyone pushing for Zero Covid considering our location and shared island has no credibility imo.

You can be a scientist and an idiot. I remember Ryan predicting the deaths of 100's of children when the schools reopened. He's an idiot.
    Proverty? You miss the money that is being thrown around like snuff at a funeral.
    Anyone pushing for Zero Covid considering our location and shared island has no credibility imo.

The north and south should at least have carried out a detailed assessment on a common zero Covid approach. A report could have then been published stating exactly why they wouldn’t follow that approach. Or, they may have come to the conclusion that it would be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

Not to drag politics too much into the covid discussion, but come on, it might be ideal in theory, but a certain cohort of them up there would rather get the virus than be seen to do the same thing as us in the Republic. No amount of science will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

If I get hit by a car crossing the road, is that the politicians fault because they didn't ban cars?

• Advertisement

The north and south should at least have carried out a detailed assessment on a common zero Covid approach. A report could have then been published stating exactly why they wouldn’t follow that approach. Or, they may have come to the conclusion that it would be an option.

Perhaps. But there’s no point talking about it now. The only time it could have been achieved, with the accompanying mandatory institutional quarantine etc, would have been at the beginning of all of this, when we were as close to a proper lockdown as we ever got. And when there was public support for a strict lockdown.

That ship has sailed. We are now in a position where economic activity has to be maximised to the extent that it is possible. The end is in sight so there is absolute no point in wreaking further economic destruction at this late stage. That McConkey etc are blind to that, and still going on about Zero Covid, is pretty staggering IMO, and shows that intelligence does not equal common sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Zero Covid is possible if we join forces with the north and then control access to the island. Not at all easy but it could be done.

They only problem is that half of them up there don't want to play ball with us as this would represent a weakness on their part in their relationship with their friends across the pond who don't give a toss about them.

That ship has sailed. We are now in a position where economic activity has to be maximised to the extent that it is possible. The end is in sight so there is absolute no point in wreaking further economic destruction at this late stage. That McConkey etc are blind to that, and still going on about Zero Covid, is pretty staggering IMO, and shows that intelligence does not equal common sense

The next lockdown has already been planned for January, so this thing is not over yet.

The next lockdown has already been planned for January, so this thing is not over yet.

Yes, but it won’t be a proper lockdown. It’ll be how it’s been the last few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Restrictions , it won't be a lockdown as the last six weeks have not been a lockdown either .
    March to May was as close to a lockdown we got.

• Advertisement

Restrictions , it won't be a lockdown as the last six weeks have not been a lockdown either .
    March to May was as close to a lockdown we got.

It’s still not great though with so many things shut and so many out of work.

It’s still not great though with so many things shut and so many out of work.

It’s not great at all, but very different to the kind of lockdown and border controls and quarantine needed to achieve zero Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I'm very interested in the case number tonight. I think they're holding a fairly significant backlog so won't be surprised to see a larger number than expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

Zero Covid is possible if we join forces with the north and then control access to the island. Not at all easy but it could be done.

And then what? Wait for years until covid is gone from the Earth? It is so academic and pointless to discuss it.

And then what? Wait for years until covid is gone from the Earth? It is so academic and pointless to discuss it.

Some countries have done it. We are talking about bringing our own cutlery to Christmas dinner and they are attending sports events. We should at least compare their approach to ours. It might be a few months yet before we can be sure which approach is best. I don’t think we can be sure yet that cycling levels of restrictions is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some countries have done it. We are talking about bringing our own cutlery to Christmas dinner and they are attending sports events. We should at least compare their approach to ours. It might be a few months yet before we can be sure which approach is best. I don’t think we can be sure yet that cycling levels of restrictions is the way to go.
    The time to switch strategies is long past for countries, apart from the US actually managing it, whatever strategy is being used now will remain unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

94 cases in Dublin, 41 in Donegal, 27 in Wicklow, 14 in Louth, 13 in Limerick.
    EoAepG6XcAYSdbJ?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

299 today suggests decent swab numbers today given the large backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Seamai wrote: »
    They only problem is that half of them up there don't want to play ball with us as this would represent a weakness on their part in their relationship with their friends across the pond who don't give a toss about them.

And that sums up the real issue nicely.
    They'd die in their thousands sooner than take the lead from Dubln.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    299 today suggests decent swab numbers today given the large backlog.
    I thought so too. Unless they hold out on the backlog till tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

27 in Wicklow, must be linked to a workplace/school or some gathering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

The EY report is incredibly amateurish.

It would sicken us all if we ever find out how much was paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It might be a few months yet before we can be sure which approach is best. I don’t think we can be sure yet that cycling levels of restrictions is the way to go.

I think we can be pretty sure at this stage (8 months in) which approaches were correct & which were not. Europe failed and the vaccine(s) are needed to rescue the situation.

If that "plan" (such as it is) doesn't work as hoped next year :eek: there might be a choice between opening up the economy more again and accepting the death and sickness that will bring or trying to copy approaches of countries that did control it.

I mean how long can you carry on "cycling" such extreme restrictions and running off borrowed money without having a huge economic collapse of some sort? I'm not an economist so I don't know.

I hate to say it but there is no way Donegal should be easing restrictions at this point. They're in a situation now with Northern Ireland entering a firebreak there will be a continuance of cross border employment coupled with North to Republic travel for social and retail reasons. It's a recipe for disaster at their current infection levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

41 in Donegal!!

They've started flying batches from the Belgian production plant to the US, so this looks very likely.

Today's cases: 299
    Last Sunday: 318
    Sunday before that: 378

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭prunudo

Not sure what is happening here in Wicklow, we were doing great for weeks and weeks. Not sure if its to do with the cases in Loughlinstown hospital or other clusters. 14 day average is still low but won't be long going above 100 if they can't get a handle on spread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement