Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I hate to say it but there is no way Donegal should be easing restrictions at this point. They're in a situation now with Northern Ireland entering a firebreak there will be a continuance of cross border employment coupled with North to Republic travel for social and retail reasons. It's a recipe for disaster at their current infection levels.
    I agree tbh Donegal's numbers remain very high for that population.
    It's the equivalent of Cork reporting 150 cases and Dublin reporting 350.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Great numbers for Cork considering where we were a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Cork2021

There was 24 hospitalisations on the last 24 hours. I’d wish they’d start telling us the ages. I’d assume it’s from community hospitals and care homes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Russman

fly_agaric wrote: »
    I think we can be pretty sure at this stage (8 months in) which approaches were correct & which were not. Europe failed and the vaccine(s) are needed to rescue the situation.

If that "plan" (such as it is) doesn't work as hoped next year :eek: there might be a choice between opening up the economy more again and accepting the death and sickness that will bring or trying to copy approaches of countries that did control it.

I mean how long can you carry on "cycling" such extreme restrictions and running off borrowed money without having a huge economic collapse of some sort? I'm not an economist so I don't know.

As long as the whole EU are in the same boat, and we’re part of the ECB & Euro, pretty much indefinitely basically. There will be a collective way found to make it ok. Anyone going on a solo run would be in difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You will be able to eat out ,shop get your hair cut for the next few weeks but there will be no family gatherings in three weeks time

Case numbers will be too high

There will be an announcement on the 21st

• Advertisement

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Great numbers for Cork considering where we were a few weeks back.
    Agree, really has dropped quite significantly in the past 7-10 days

I agree tbh Donegal's numbers remain very high for that population.
    It's the equivalent of Cork reporting 150 cases and Dublin reporting 350.

It's complete sh*t for them but with the amount of people that will be heading home to Donegal for Christmas too it could leave them in a particularly bad place.

I'm a bit surprised NPHET haven't highlighted it more strenuously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Cork2021 wrote: »
    There was 24 hospitalisations on the last 24 hours. I’d wish they’d start telling us the ages. I’d assume it’s from community hospitals and care homes

They do tell us the ages just the day before on gov.ie and hub. Not updated yet with the correct numbers.

Says updated 29/11/2020 but most data on the site still has yesterdays numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

You will be able to eat out ,shop get your hair cut for the next few weeks but there will be no family gatherings in three weeks time

Even if there is, think people will still meet. Government have said it will be reviewed but they seem committed now unless cases change drastically in 3 weeks. Donnelly seems to think/hope that cases will decrease over next week or 2 as result of the level 5 restrictions.

It will be the 15th before an impact is noticed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Is another lockdown in January really likely? If so, how long would it be predicted to last?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Is another lockdown in January really likely? If so, how long would it be predicted to last?

6 months at level 5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Inevitable I'd say. Mínimum 4 week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Good progress this week compared to last.

792 less cases
    14 less deaths reported

25 less in hospital than last Sunday and 1 less in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Good progress this week compared to last.

792 less cases
    14 less deaths reported

25 less in hospital than last Sunday and 1 less in ICU.

Would you call that a successful 6 week level 5 restriction period?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yeah. It’s going to be a very dry January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Russman wrote: »
    As long as the whole EU are in the same boat, and we’re part of the ECB & Euro, pretty much indefinitely basically. There will be a collective way found to make it ok. Anyone going on a solo run would be in difficulty.

I was presuming there must be a breaking point somewhere (even for the whole Eurozone / ECB) but as said I really don't have any idea where that is. Maybe it would take years of it.

The European governments go into debt to pay people (or businesses - which comprise people!) to do nothing/very little.
    It is the opposite of normal government spending as the government wants them to stop doing what they usually do to control spread of the virus.

There is extra expenditure by governments on the health services, but alot of that will flow out to US/Asia to pay for PPE, medical equipment etc. The ECB buys that govt. debt and can print Euros to do that.

Am I understanding this correctly in a rough/inexact way (as a layman speaking)? It sort of bends my noodle to be honest but I can't see how it can continue "indefinitely".

Personally, I’m expecting what we’ve seen in the last few weeks to last until Easter. And then with a combination of the nicer weather and imminent mass vaccination, things to revert largely to normal (except for very crowded indoor areas like nightclubs, and with seating only in pubs and venues)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Interesting. I woke up on Tuesday with cramps in my stomach. Internally i was fine but to touch my stomach or move in bed was uncomfortable.

I called in sick even though I was WFH that day. As the day progressed I started to get a body temperature and headache.

When I left my room that day and Wednesday I wore a mask around the house(i have filters in mine).

Symptoms eased off by Wednesday morning and were completely gone by Wednesday evening.

Makes me wonder. When you think of all the cases they find in professional athletes, youd wonder how many would have been positive without the regimentive testing.

I didnt feel bad enough to request a test(who wants to have to travel across town to have something shoved down their nose) so you'd have to wonder how many in a similar boat to me may or may not have had it.

I hope not many. Because if everyone didn't bother getting a test when they had symptoms, we would have far more cases and far less tracking data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Why is Tómas Ryan on Six One? He's not even a virologist, immunologist, anything related to Covid. He's a neuroscientist. We only hear from those who fearmongerer on a daily basis. Mooting Restrictions being brought back before restrictions are even lifted.

• Advertisement

nj27 wrote: »
    6 months at level 5

Gosh that’s grim :/ reason I ask is because just before lockdown, I managed to find accommodation but then the lockdown was announced so had to move back home. I’m still paying rent but haven’t moved in yet and work has asked that we all be back in the office after Christmas. But if there’s another lockdown, I don’t know if it’s worth to keep paying rent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Gosh that’s grim :/ reason I ask is because just before lockdown, I managed to find accommodation but then the lockdown was announced so had to move back home. I’m still paying rent but haven’t moved in yet and work has asked that we all be back in the office after Christmas. But if there’s another lockdown, I don’t know if it’s worth to keep paying rent...

6 months at level 5 , was an obvious p*sstake of an answer.

Ah I see, I scanned over the level 5 part!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Have they given further details of the pub restrictions? Eg closing time , max numbers per table etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ElJeffe wrote: »
    In the NPHET letter they said a likely 3 weeks but it depends on where the numbers are come Jan 6. Over 400 cases a day and they'll recommend one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Surprised it didn't get a few thanks tbh given some views!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Eivor

There’ll be gatherings anyway. Doesn’t matter what Tony thinks.

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Again, not what NPHET said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

blade1 wrote: »
    Would you call that a successful 6 week level 5 restriction period?

In the terms of controling the virus I think was a decent success while having schools open. From a 7 day average of 1176 cases per day to now 261. Hospital, ICU admissions and deaths thankfully didn't reach the levels of March, April and touch wood it stays that way for the months ahead.

• Advertisement

In the terms of controling the virus I think was a decent success while having schools open. From a 7 day average of 1176 cases per day to now 261. Hospital, ICU admissions and deaths thankfully didn't reach the levels of March, April and touch wood it stays that way for the months ahead.
    It's a major success. That's an incredible drop in 7 day average.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement