Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭54and56

Soulsun wrote: »
    6 , 7 and 10

At that age and for a first trip I'd strongly recommend Benodet Camping Yelloh! Marina Village - less than two hours from Roscoff - https://g.page/campingbenodet?share

As the kids get older and you get more comfortable you can explore further south on the West Coast to places like St Jean de Mont etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

The Carnac area of Brittany would work in terms of distance.

We are going to Des Menhirs all going well in 2021 but haven't stayed there before so someone else might have suggestions.

If you wanted to travel a little further, then the Loire Valley or the Vendee would be good areas too.
    Have a look at Chateau des Marais in the Loire or Pin Parasol in the Vendee.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Thanks for the replies,

Do we book the boat or site first?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thanks for the replies,

Ideally both together, as one will definitely decide the times of the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Soulsun wrote:

I'd book the Campsite first. Plenty of ferry options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

First Up wrote: »
    I'd book the Campsite first. Plenty of ferry options.

We always book the Campsites first. And then book the Ferry when the Schedules come out.
    The Ferry Schedules tend not to change year-to-year (pre-Covid anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

And last question I promise..

Do the campsites want full payment upfront or deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭54and56

And last question I promise..

Do the campsites want full payment upfront or deposit?

Depends on the campsite operator.

Deposit of €50 to €150 with balance payable in one or two tranches closer to the booking is common but discounts can sometimes be contingent on payment up front.

I'd also advise booking the site you want for the dates you want and then organise a ferry to suit.

SusanC10 wrote:
    We always book the Campsites first. And then book the Ferry when the Schedules come out. The Ferry Schedules tend not to change year-to-year (pre-Covid anyway)

They will change this year for certain. IF are now operating from Dublin and BF from Cork and Rosslare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

2 or max 3 hours.., young kids

Les Ormes should tick all the boxes

Although we haven't been before it's where we had chosen for this year and fully intend going in 2021

Lots on site and not too far from beaches

There's an aligator park, a zoo & a couple of amusement parks not too far away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭yiddo59

First Up wrote: »
    They will change this year for certain. IF are now operating from Dublin and BF from Cork and Rosslare.

Not forgetting Stenas Rosslare to Cherbourg service.

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Not forgetting Stenas Rosslare to Cherbourg service.

Yes, that is unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

SusanC10 wrote: »
    The Carnac area of Brittany would work in terms of distance.

We are going to Des Menhirs all going well in 2021 but haven't stayed there before so someone else might have suggestions.

If you wanted to travel a little further, then the Loire Valley or the Vendee would be good areas too.
    Have a look at Chateau des Marais in the Loire or Pin Parasol in the Vendee.

Two good options there in Carnac and Loire valley. The further south you go generally better weather ( sun and heat) Brittany can have mixed weather but is also lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

lafors wrote: »
    Hmm on the last screen for me when you put in your card details it has process payment. When you put the card details in and press that do you mean there's another screen after it? Thanks

Sorry, I'm honestly not sure. I thought the option was there before it looks for the card details

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Hi guys we have usually gone further south to Vendée and loire regions but this yr looking at Brittany and specifically the site called Domaine de leveno. If possible would people have any experience in that resort and let me know there thoughts. How wud people compare weather wise the 2 regions. Prefer to get sun and warmth if possible like we have experienced before. TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Hi guys we have usually gone further south to Vendée and loire regions but this yr looking at Brittany and specifically the site called Domaine de leveno. If possible would people have any experience in that resort and let me know there thoughts. How wud people compare weather wise the 2 regions. Prefer to get sun and warmth if possible like we have experienced before. TIA.

it's south Britanny so would be similar enough to the Vendee, obviously the further south you go, the more reliable the weather.

We went to Leveno a couple of years back and weren't mad on it but it depends what you're looking for. There's a fantastic waterpark (speedos obligatoire in the pool); the site itself is very big and lively and is very French - there's cheesy entertainment on at the bar every single night, karaoke, very loud discos etc. We prefer something a bit more relaxed.

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's south Britanny so would be similar enough to the Vendee, obviously the further south you go, the more reliable the weather.

We went to Leveno a couple of years back and weren't mad on it but it depends what you're looking for. There's a fantastic waterpark (speedos obligatoire in the pool); the site itself is very big and lively and is very French - there's cheesy entertainment on at the bar every single night, karaoke, very loud discos etc. We prefer something a bit more relaxed.

We were in Clary's plage last year and weren't impressed, site was lovely but the size and a few different things weren't what we wanted in a location. Wud it be similar to Clary's do you know? There will be 2 families with 6 kids, (4 pre teens) so the waterpark is what attracted us..thks for info re entertainment not bothered with it normally stay in mobiles on decking shooting the breeze..

Anyone think there will be BF deals for holiday companies this year. Got a great deal a few yrs ago with eurocamp

Edit: found this site through another link on boards never heard of them but looks like good prices. https://www.campsited.com/en/campsites-france/camping-in-france-last-minute-offers/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Poochie05

New ferry service starting from Rosslare to Dunkirk in Nortehrn France, 6 times a week by DFDS

Sorry can’t post a link but article on RTE website talks mainly about freight but there is a quote referring to tourism potential too, so should take passengers as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭boccy23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

24 hours for the crossing, even if it did take passengers I can't see much demand for that.

loyatemu wrote:
    24 hours for the crossing, even if it did take passengers I can't see much demand for that.

Wouldn't appeal to me either but we aren't the target market. I expect they have done their research with the freight operators.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

The more competition the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

loyatemu wrote: »

24 hours for €500 or 19 hours (*?) for €1000, I know which I'd prefer.

Not saying these are the actually prices, but if they were substantially cheaper it has to be worth considering

*I think this is the standard travel time

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

Looking at the DFDS website it appears that this service is freight only.....

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Newonhere wrote: »

Yeah I presume freight services like DFDS and Seatruck don't allow tourists in cars? :confused:

A couple more cruising ferries would be nice, travelling with young kids means it's nice to have amenities on board to keep them occupied

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Well the article had a quote from the Rosslare port manager referring to tourism, so maybe they will take limited passengers in the future when the route is more established
    The new service, which will provide a crucial freight route, will also be very attractive for inbound and outbound tourism when Covid travel restrictions are eased", Mr Carr said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Newonhere wrote: »

I sent them an email this morning and they have replied already informing me that the service will have some capacity for non freight customers. I think this will a good option for those looking to head to Germany, Switzerland etc... if the price is right. They said they will be updating their website within the next few days to non freight clients. I'll be keeping an eye on it as will be heading to the black forest region on the motorbike at some stage next spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

ElJeffe wrote: »
    I sent them an email this morning and they have replied already informing me that the service will have some capacity for non freight customers. I think this will a good option for those looking to head to Germany, Switzerland etc... if the price is right. They said they will be updating their website within the next few days to non freight clients. I'll be keeping an eye on it as will be heading to the black forest region on the motorbike at some stage next spring.

Does depend on price.
    It will be competing with Landbridge which gets you to Dunkirk from Dublin in 13 hours or less (sans Brexit) for around €700 incl fuel, peak season

Advertisement