Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

No mobile homes or chalets though

Ah, I never saw that stipulation, apologies. Horses for courses though - no chalets or MH is one of the reasons we go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Yeah, we're considering booking something around Bordeaux and flying.
    Or further north and the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,770 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ferry booked for August - f**k it, it's only €150, I'm an optimist. Will worry about accommodation when we have a better idea of how things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

loyatemu wrote: »
    ferry booked for August - f**k it, it's only €150, I'm an optimist. Will worry about accommodation when we have a better idea of how things are going.

Would you not book the accom and pay the €100?? Great pricing available at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Gavlor wrote: »
    Would you not book the accom and pay the €100?? Great pricing available at the minute

We've found the accommodation prices for next summer are much higher than normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

We've found the accommodation prices for next summer are much higher than normal

IMHO "normal" is out the window as there is massive pent up demand and a huge overhang of vouchers (credit notes) from 2020 which most people will be looking to use in 2021.

Throw additional Covid related costs such as social distancing, constant disinfecting etc into the mix for the park operators and it's not surprising prices will be higher than previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I booked back in August so I guess it was a bit different then. Upgraded our mobile and added on a couple of nights for a good bit less than last years pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

Our accommodation price actually dropped. I haven't compared pre-discount proces but we got early booking, loyalty & group plan (AXA) discounts applied

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

fdevine wrote: »
    Our accommodation price actually dropped. I haven't compared pre-discount proces but we got early booking, loyalty & group plan (AXA) discounts applied

Our Accommodation price is lower too. Now they are not the same Campsites as we were meant to go to in 2020 but we are getting the same Accommodation Type for more nights for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Irish Ferries seem to have suspended sailings to France from end January until May. This at a time when Stena, BF (and DFDS) are increasing theirs.

I also heard the CEO of IF talking up the landbridge, at a time when trucks are being turned back at Holyhead and the M20 is prone to being turned into a car park.

Curious is one word for it. Nuts is another but what do I know....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are they suspending sailings completely or just to non-freight customers?

Are they suspending sailings completely or just to non-freight customers?

Their website shows no sailings from January 28th until late May.

When asked, they confirmed there are no sailings scheduled "at the moment" and we will be told more "in due course".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭blackwhite

First Up wrote: »
    Irish Ferries seem to have suspended sailings to France from end January until May. This at a time when Stena, BF (and DFDS) are increasing theirs.

I also heard the CEO of IF talking up the landbridge, at a time when trucks are being turned back at Holyhead and the M20 is prone to being turned into a car park.

Curious is one word for it. Nuts is another but what do I know....

They changed the WB Yeats back onto Dublin-France this week to increase their capacity - it’s just a case of not taking passenger bookings until they know which ship will be sailing.

Don’t be pushing false information like that - it’s pure scaremongering

Just looking at their website - nothing can be booked for Dublin Holyhead from February onwards either.

Very obvious they they just haven’t finalised what ships will be sailing where yet - leaving it late, but I guess it means they can change to suit wherever the freight demand is at short notice

blackwhite wrote:
    Don’t be pushing false information like th?at - it’s pure??? scaremongering

What false information? Their timetable shows no sailing to France until May 25th. I emailed them and in reply their exact words were that they are not sailing to France "at the moment" and "these will be released in due course".

So what am I scaremongering about? I doubt I am the only person trying to plan a trip to France. IF can be coy about it if they want but it's a funny way to run a business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hey guys looking for recommendations again like every year.
    Thank you so much to whoever suggested Le Littoral last year, it was amazing and we're returning this year.

We do 4 to 5 weeks for the last few years and for the last 4 years we have stayed in Les Mouettes in Carantec as our last site as we love the facilities on site and the surrounding areas, plus it's only a 20 minute drive to the ferry in Roscoff.

This year though we might take a break just to change things up so I'm looking for somewhere in northern Brittany, good kids club. Walkability to the nearest town, nice surrounding towns and cities for day trips and a beach nearby.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Thank you so much to whoever suggested Le Littoral last year, it was amazing and we're returning this year.

We do 4 to 5 weeks for the last few years and for the last 4 years we have stayed in Les Mouettes in Carantec as our last site as we love the facilities on site and the surrounding areas, plus it's only a 20 minute drive to the ferry in Roscoff.

This year though we might take a break just to change things up so I'm looking for somewhere in northern Brittany, good kids club. Walkability to the nearest town, nice surrounding towns and cities for day trips and a beach nearby.

Thanks in advance.

We have booked here for this yr. Never been here or to Brittany but looking forward to anywhere at this stage. Camping Le Domaine de Léveno through Canvas holiday group..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

Thanks in advance.

We were looking for the same things last year & decided on Les Ormes/Domaine des Ormes with Eurocamp.

Was obvioulsy postponed but now rescheduled for this year (fingers crossed)

Kids clubs, large site with lots of activities, plenty of beaches not too far away. Towns like Dinan, Combourg, St.Malo & Mont St.Michel. Zoos/wildlife parks within easy reach

What false information? Their timetable shows no sailing to France until May 25th. I emailed them and in reply their exact words were that they are not sailing to France "at the moment" and "these will be released in due course".

So what am I scaremongering about? I doubt I am the only person trying to plan a trip to France. IF can be coy about it if they want but it's a funny way to run a business

You claimed they have "Irish Ferries seem to have suspended sailings to France from end January until May."

That's very different to saying that they haven't released a schedule yet

blackwhite wrote:
    You claimed they have "Irish Ferries seem to have suspended sailings to France from end January until May."

Well if they don't let you book anything until May and if they confirmed they are not sailing to France "at the moment", I think saying they seem to have suspended the service amounts to a bit more than scaremongering.

It would be nice if they explained their situation instead of having you and me argue about what we think they are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

fdevine wrote: »
    We were looking for the same things last year & decided on Les Ormes/Domaine des Ormes with Eurocamp.

Was obvioulsy postponed but now rescheduled for this year (fingers crossed)

Kids clubs, large site with lots of activities, plenty of beaches not too far away. Towns like Dinan, Combourg, St.Malo & Mont St.Michel. Zoos/wildlife parks within easy reach

Hey, apologies but I should have stated the sites we've been to in Brittany that we're giving a break for a few years, one of them is Des Ormes, we've been there on 4 occasions and it's a great site, HUGE site but our most recent visit was 2019 just as the Dome opened, which is a great addition but it seemed to us like they were forgetting other aspects while building the Dome, like the playgrounds were fairly run down, the pedalos were well beyond their best days.

Also in 2019 the hotel restaurant was closed, the brasserie was closed and the chicken/pizza restaurant wasn't great, one of the biggest gripes I have with Des Ormes is their bar, it is definitely the largest site I've been to in France while also having the smallest bar, we enjoyed going down every 2nd or 3rd night for a quiz or karaoke but found if you weren't there an hour before the entertainment kicked off you weren't getting a spot & that was just with our family, this became an absolute impossibility in 2019 when we added my brother in law's family.

My favourite thing about Des Ormes is the location, while you can't walk to Dol De Bretagne you can walk to the sleepy town of St Leonard, then the nearby towns as you mention are absolutely picturesque, Dinan, Dinard, St Malo, Mont Saint Michel, the list goes on and all within a 35 minute drive.

Other sites we've been to but are taking a break for one reason or another is Domaine De Kerlann and Grande Metairie.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Well if they don't let you book anything until May and if they confirmed they are not sailing to France "at the moment", I think saying they seem to have suspended the service amounts to a bit more than scaremongering.

It would be nice if they explained their situation instead of having you and me argue about what we think they are doing.

The WB Yeats is currently halfway to France - so they very obviously are sailing “at the moment”

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9809679

Unless you think they’re going to lay-up their ships for 3/4 months because there’s nothing currently on the reservation system, then you’re clearly just doubling down on your initial exaggeration

blackwhite wrote:
    The WB Yeats is currently halfway to France - so they very obviously are sailing “at the momentâ€

Unless you think they’re going to lay-up their ships for 3/4 months because there’s nothing currently on the reservation system, then you’re clearly just doubling down on your initial exaggeration

But "at the moment" (their words) they cannot tell me why they are not showing sailings to France between January 28th and May 25th.

If you know, maybe you can tell us?

But "at the moment" (their words) they cannot tell me why they are not showing sailings to France between January 28th and May 25th.

If you know, maybe you can tell us?

I already did - in my first post on the thread.
    blackwhite wrote: »
    They changed the WB Yeats back onto Dublin-France this week to increase their capacity - it’s just a case of not taking passenger bookings until they know which ship will be sailing.

You just seem incapable of admitting that claiming sailings are “suspended” was a gross exaggeration.

You can’t book Ireland-UK bookings on their website for that period either - are you also going to try and claim that they’re “suspending” those services as well? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

MorganIRL wrote: »
    We have booked here for this yr. Never been here or to Brittany but looking forward to anywhere at this stage. Camping Le Domaine de Léveno through Canvas holiday group..

We stayed at Dé Leveno years ago and liked it. Busy at the pool area and found the hygiene not great but it was 6 years past now. Watch out for the tiles around the pool on a hot day ouch.

blackwhite wrote:
    You can’t book Ireland-UK bookings on their website for that period either - are you also going to try and claim that they’re “suspending†those services as well?

I don't know if they are suspending them or not. All I have to go on is what is on their website. At the same time as they have closed off bookings for Dublin - Cherbourg until May 25, their CEO is talking up the Landbridge. Why?

Of course it makes sense for them to use the WBY to France - it always did. So what's the problem with using it from February to May and saying so now?

Maybe they are deciding on traffic volume. Maybe they are juggling fleet maintenance. Maybe they are considering new routes. I don't care. All I know is I can't book now and I don't know when I can.

I need to take a car to France in late March or early April and I need to coordinate with other people and events. Knowing that sailing information and bookings will be available "in due course" isn't enough.

I'll book with someone more organised - from Rosslare if it has to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

We stayed at Dé Leveno years ago and liked it. Busy at the pool area and found the hygiene not great but it was 6 years past now. Watch out for the tiles around the pool on a hot day ouch.

Thanks for that info.. do u have any hints on what to do in the area or a particular area to stay on site.. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 10,875 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Bit OT but I saw an article about the new ferry route to Dunkirk

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/brexit-truckers-arrive-fresh-and-well-fed-after-first-rosslare-dunkirk-sailing-1.4449238?mode=amp

Have to say, I really like the spirit of cooperation being seen here, DFDS saw the opportunity and took a risk to setup the ferry route, Irish drivers waving EU and french flags and even people coming to welcome them to France (okay it was one guy, but still, it's nice to see)

Fingers crossed we get more passenger routes to Europe soon, Cherbourg and Roscoff are a bit out of the way if you're planning to see the Benelux countries or Germany. Dunkirk or Rotterdam would be ideal even if it's a long crossing

Hopefully they'll use the nice cruising ferries, stuck on board for 24 hours I'd want my creature comforts and stuff to keep the kids occupied

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Maximus_1 wrote: »
    Took the gamble and booked deposit this morning for 10 days in July in a site close to Bordeaux. Les Grande Pins site looks great. Spent the extra few quid on the flights to include cancellation if this blasted virus is still a big deal by then. Fingers crossed we're clear for take off! Excited for something to look forward to. Seems counter intuitive booking with things the way they are but I'm an optimist or maybe deluded I'm not sure! Please God this vaccine can be a big success. Never been to Bordeaux region so can't wait. . Not gonna tell the kids until much closer the time to avoid disappointment!

Took the gamble yesterday, although not a huge gamble as I used the vouchers from SIBLU and Brittany Ferries, it just cost me €20. Last week July for 2 weeks. I am hoping the situation is a lot better by then. I really want my young lad to have a nice holiday this summer, he's been brilliant throughout 2020, never grumbled and just got on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are booked for late June after moving our Booking from 2020.
    I am hopeful that we will be able to go.
    Moved our Eurocamp Booking so didn't pay anything apart from the €99 we had paid as a Deposit. Used Credit with IF so again haven't actually paid them any money.
    Any money we paid was paid in 2019.
    The Kids know we are booked but also know it may end up that we don't go. But I am trying to stay positive.

Advertisement