Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,797 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Any recommendations on an electrician to install the Nest Hello? I am in Dublin 18 and would prefer it wired in. I currently have no bell or transformer. Thanks!

if you have no bell or transformer then i assume there is no power to the front of the house? be a bigger job than id like for a doorbell at that rate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭championc

A doorbell transformer is like a phone charger - AC one side and DC the other. You can wire it directly into the fuse board, but you could also just stick a plug on a tail and connect it to a socket

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

championc wrote: »
    A doorbell transformer is like a phone charger - AC one side and DC the other.

Not quite, transformers are always AC in and AC out.
    You can wire it directly into the fuse board, but you could also just stick a plug on a tail and connect it to a socket

That is true but for safety the transformer would have to be installed in an enclosure, otherwise there would be exposed live terminals:eek:
    This arrangement would look very untidy in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭emaherx

2011 wrote: »
    Not quite, transformers are always AC in and AC out.

That is true but for safety the transformer would have to be installed in an enclosure, otherwise there would be exposed live terminals:eek:
    This arrangement would look very untidy in my opinion.

You can get AC to ac adapters in the same package as phone chargers also

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

emaherx wrote: »
    You can get AC to ac adapters in the same package as phone chargers also

Yes, but I’m not really sure what your point is.

Anyway video doorbells such as Nest and Ring are designed to work on AC so a doorbell transformer is ideal. No DC conversion necessary or desired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭deezell

championc wrote: »
    A doorbell transformer is like a phone charger - AC one side and DC the other. You can wire it directly into the fuse board, but you could also just stick a plug on a tail and connect it to a socket

A bell transformer like this must be mounted on the fuseboard, by a competent qualified person.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/garo-8-12-24v-1a-bell-transformer/716HK?gclid=CjwKCAiA2O39BRBjEiwApB2IklF0VMyl9VuARKfQKkNsqmyPNMJXpfpDt5IC8INcDmcr5JVSjNhO0xoCQFAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A mains plug type transformer (a.c. - a.c.) can be plugged in to a socket near the door and the cable routed tidily to the door frame. It runs the risk of being pulled out and the flimsy cable being caught and broken over time, while the fuse board installation is a proper lifetime job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭emaherx

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, but I’m not really sure what your point is.

Anyway video doorbells such as Nest and Ring are designed to work on AC so a doorbell transformer is ideal. No DC conversion necessary or desired.

Ok, it's a transformer safely enclosed. Sort of fits in with the options suggested in your previous post. I agree a doorbell transformer is the ideal solution but a house which dosen't have one might have an easier run to a socket.

I never suggested dc conversion.

For clarification by in the same package I mean the same sort of plastic plug in enclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Eufy Indoor Cam 2K on sale at Eufy site: https://www.eufylife.com/uk/products/variant/indoor-cam-2k/T84002W3
    £24.99, use discount code WSEUFYINCA
    Amazon deal sold out currently but was same price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭OU812

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Eufy Indoor Cam 2K on sale at Eufy site: https://www.eufylife.com/uk/products/variant/indoor-cam-2k/T84002W3

They're no accessible from outside the house though, right? You have to take out the memory card, put it in a computer to view?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

OU812 wrote: »
    They're no accessible from outside the house though, right? You have to take out the memory card, put it in a computer to view?

If you're on the Apple ecosystem, and you're paying for iCloud storage, you can use that to store and view recordings remotely.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/07/23/eufy-indoor-cam-2k-homekit-secure-video-hands-on/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Similar deals on most of the eufy security gear.

1080P battery doorbell for about €115 is a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Tado vertical radiator valves 31.99 stg, horizontals 34.99.These are great prices. I bought for a similar price for all my raditors about a year ago and have found them to be brilliant.

Actually 4 pack of the verticals works out a little cheaper & some great black Friday deals on all Tado stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

Drayton wiser are on Amazon good discount .
    £84 for unit and 2 tvr's £57 without tvr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Sonos Beam sound bar, with both Alexa and Google Assist built in, down to €349 (€100 off) direct from Sonos. They’ve other savings on smart speakers too.

https://www.sonos.com/en-ie/shop/beam.html

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Sonos Beam sound bar, with both Alexa and Google Assist built in, down to €349 (€100 off) direct from Sonos. They’ve other savings on smart speakers too.

https://www.sonos.com/en-ie/shop/beam.html

Would it be possible to use the Sonos Beam as the chime for the Nest Hello doorbell?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Would it be possible to use the Sonos Beam as the chime for the Nest Hello doorbell?

From my experience with GA on Sonos, no. It feels like an unfinished implementation and I wouldn't recommend any Sonos products if you want to use them with Google assistant.

Beam can sound fantastic, both for music and movies, but don't think about using it as Google Assistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

grogi wrote: »
    From my experience with GA on Sonos, no. It feels like an unfinished implementation and I wouldn't recommend any Sonos products if you want to use them with Google assistant.

Beam can sound fantastic, both for music and movies, but don't think about using it as Google Assistant.

Completely agree... Have a beam and a Sonos one. GA is poor on both, the Sonos one seems like it's deaf - you need to roar directly into the mic for it to even respond :D

Both very good with the primary function

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Can anyone help, I'm looking to get a sonos beam, but my tv doesn't have an arc hdmi so will be using an optical connection, will I be able to control the volume using my remote control of the virgin media horizon box does anyone know?

Phil.x wrote: »
    Can anyone help, I'm looking to get a sonos beam, but my tv doesn't have an arc hdmi so will be using an optical connection, will I be able to control the volume using my remote control of the virgin media horizon box does anyone know?

You can teach Beam to react to infrared signals from a different remote. The problems starts once the remote is not IR anymore. I don't know what type the VM is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I'm looking for a smart bulb that doesn't require a hub, but which will work with Alexa and the Smart Life app, any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I'm looking for a smart bulb that doesn't require a hub, but which will work with Alexa and the Smart Life app, any suggestions?

Teckin bulbs have worked very well for me, run on WiFi, change colour and work with Alexa and Google as well as Siri Shortcuts. They’re usually very cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 23,343 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve these , good lamp, no complaints

LE Alexa Smart Bulb Bayonet, App or Voice Control, B22 Colour Changing Light Bulb, Works with Alexa and Google Home, No Hub Required (9W = 60W, RGB and White 2700K - 6500K, 2.4GHz WiFi) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L4D27GK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_nroWFbX5WZNR8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Probably same product as teckin.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭JKGT

grogi wrote: »
    You can teach Beam to react to infrared signals from a different remote. The problems starts once the remote is not IR anymore. I don't know what type the VM is.

Afaik the horizon remote is both IR and RF with the horizon box itself being the device controlled with RF and the IR reserved for TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭JKGT

Phil.x wrote: »

If your already using the horizon remote to control you tv you should be ok it's just plug in and set tv audio output to optical.... I see you can't use Alexa while using the optical cable tho is this a feature you were interested in?

JKGT wrote: »
    If your already using the horizon remote to control you tv you should be ok it's just plug in and set tv audio output to optical.... I see you can't use Alexa while using the optical cable tho is this a feature you were interested in?

Not necessarily. If the VM is sending DD over the optical, it is the receiver that controls the volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Trying to order a Neato Robovac from Amazon but it won't deliver to Ireland. And weirdly won't deliver to the NI ParcelMotel address either. :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Frisbee wrote: »
    Trying to order a Neato Robovac from Amazon but it won't deliver to Ireland. And weirdly won't deliver to the NI ParcelMotel address either. :(

Try address Pal instead. Sometimes because PM is in NI it won't work but Address Pal might because the address is mainland UK. It's worked for me before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

JKGT wrote: »

Alexa no, i just wanted to make sure I didn't need to use the sonos app on the phone to adjust volume. Cheers folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

I couldnt input an irish address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

kaerobe wrote: »
    I couldnt input an irish address?

Parcel wizard / parcel motel / address pal ........

Advertisement