Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I got some Teckin plugs and they don’t show energy consumption like the previous model. Does anyone else noticed the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭John mac

that feature was removed as it wasn't showing consistent results .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Bit the bullet on the tado multi room kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

I'm looking for a smart bulb that doesn't require a hub, but which will work with Alexa and the Smart Life app, any suggestions?

You dont mention what type of bulb you want, but I'm using this in my porch light bulb, works great. Probably works too with a light bulb adapter.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001091474801.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dQeiegd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

ted1 wrote: »
    I’ve these , good lamp, no complaints

LE Alexa Smart Bulb Bayonet, App or Voice Control, B22 Colour Changing Light Bulb, Works with Alexa and Google Home, No Hub Required (9W = 60W, RGB and White 2700K - 6500K, 2.4GHz WiFi) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L4D27GK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_nroWFbX5WZNR8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Probably same product as teckin.

Do you have to connect these to your router or can you just control them from the smartphone App?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,888 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Phil.x wrote: »
    Can anyone help, I'm looking to get a sonos beam, but my tv doesn't have an arc hdmi so will be using an optical connection, will I be able to control the volume using my remote control of the virgin media horizon box does anyone know?

I had a horizon box and controlled my sound bar using the horizon remote. Have the 360 box now and it also works the sound bar volume, you can program more than one device with the 360 box and choose which one you want to use

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

Seen in the Argos bargain alerts thread, Kasa smart plugs buy 1 get 1 free, add 2 to reserve and price stays at €23.60

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do you have to connect these to your router or can you just control them from the smartphone App?

They connect via WiFi

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Really hoping some of the Meross Homekit enabled plugs and powerstrips will be reduced. They are just significantly more exp than other smart products.

Ive realised over the last few months ive been phasing out all my alexa products in favor of homekit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭deezell

kaerobe wrote: »
    Really hoping some of the Meross Homekit enabled plugs and powerstrips will be reduced. They are just significantly more exp than other smart products.

Ive realised over the last few months ive been phasing out all my alexa products in favor of homekit

Anything to do with Apple is expensive. It was ever thus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

kaerobe wrote: »

I was looking at these, but really trying to avoid clogging up my WiFi network if possible, so decided to try and pick up a few Philips smart plugs so theyre on the hue bridge instead. Probably no use to you because of the price, but they’re three for two on Philips website at the mo, not a bad price.

Just got an email from AddressPal, they have a new virtual UK address, and charges gone up to a whopping €6.50, and the promise of a VAT inspection, so expect €6.50 plus 21% plus €10 inspection admin charge on a trivial €30 item. Depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭ted1

deezell wrote: »
    Just got an email from AddressPal, they have a new virtual UK address, and charges gone up to a whopping €6.50, and the promise of a VAT inspection, so expect €6.50 plus 21% plus €10 inspection admin charge on a trivial €30 item. Depressing.

If being exported then the UK VAT wouldn’t apply. So that it’s not simply a matter of adding 21%, as you need to deduct 19%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ted1 wrote: »
    If being exported then the UK VAT wouldn’t apply. So that it’s not simply a matter of adding 21%, as you need to deduct 19%

But that is not automatic. Since the vendor is shipping within UK to an UK address, they will be reluctant to deduct the VAT at source.

grogi wrote: »
    But that is not automatic. Since the vendor is shipping within UK to an UK address, they will be reluctant to deduct the VAT at source.
    Correct, AP was useful as it was a mainland UK address, for suppliers who won't deliver to ROI, or even NI, or else charge serious delivery rates. It used to be €3.95 for decent sized packet, now €6.50. There is a VAT prepay service available to Non Eu suppliers (OSS, one stop shop) to charge the appropriate local rate and thus avoid delays, custom checks, and the asmin fee. While no-one is ttrying to avoid VAT, (😬 !) its a PITH to be charged €10 to pay maybe €5 on a €50 purchase. I can't see OSS being available if your address is UK, suppliers would be subject to missing UK VAT at home if they collected Irish VAT on a delivery marked as export but bound for a UK address. It would only work if the UK address was registered as an export hub. Maybe thats what this new AP address is all about, but at the moment they're warning of inspection. If You from the UK from an OSS supplier, like Amazon I presume, you'll pay current VAT as normal, no inspection, but there could be duty depending on the items, and of course the vat is charged on the delivery cost also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Presumably most people will now just buy from Amazon EU stores?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

JJJackal wrote: »
    Presumably most people will now just buy from Amazon EU stores?

You'll need to buy a Prime sub for each one, guess you could read reviews and descriptions on the UK site but order on the Euro one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You'll need to buy a Prime sub for each one, guess you could read reviews and descriptions on the UK site but order on the Euro one.

The German site is available largely in English. There’s a button to show English or German language Questions and Reviews (that have been posted to the German store), and the facility to translate the German ones to English. Some of the reviews from the UK store are also available down the bottom in the “Top reviews from other countries” section.

You can switch to the German English store in the mobile app (three bar hamburger thing > settings > country and language)

Now that Amazon are getting warehouses and distribution set up here, I wouldn’t be surprised if a .ie site appears if it’s required after we see how the Brexit deal lands.

The German site is available largely in English. There’s a button to show English or German language Questions and Reviews (that have been posted to the German store), and the facility to translate the German ones to English. Some of the reviews from the UK store are also available down the bottom in the “Top reviews from other countries” section.

You can switch to the German English store in the mobile app (three bar hamburger thing > settings > country and language)

Now that Amazon are getting warehouses and distribution set up here, I wouldn’t be surprised if a .ie site appears if it’s required after we see how the Brexit deal lands.

I wonder if the irish warehouse will fulfill orders from European Amazon websites, I'm assuming so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I wonder if the irish warehouse will fulfill orders from European Amazon websites, I'm assuming so?

I sent amazon a tweet asking about Brexit. No reply as such. As they charge Irish vat, I wonder will they continue. I have a large number of subscribe and save items

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

thecivvie wrote: »
    I sent amazon a tweet asking about Brexit. No reply as such. As they charge Irish vat, I wonder will they continue. I have a large number of subscribe and save items
    They haven't trained up all these drivers and opened their own warehouse for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

You could write to the Taoiseach and ask about brexit and he won't be able to give you an accurate answer of what's going to happen because negotiations are still ongoing.

I don't know how you could expect amazon to be able to give you an accurate answer on brexit at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Soarer

Uriel. wrote: »
    You could write to the Taoiseach and ask about brexit and he won't be able to give you an accurate answer of what's going to happen because negotiations are still ongoing.

I don't know how you could expect amazon to be able to give you an accurate answer on brexit at this point.

You obviously don’t believe Bezos, Gates et al are running the show with their nano-robot vaccines!

For shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭vanti

Folks any chance we can move the chat/banter to a 'chat' version and save this for actual HA bargains (as per the thread title?) It's tiresome reading drivel.

came across this today - not the greatest bargain but handy for some festive cheer maybe:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Bayonet-Bluetooth-Assistant/dp/B07V5CM1DW/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=hue+bulb&qid=1607419691&sr=8-7

using a few of these with the hue essentials app and some of the 'effects' is good fun for the kids

Lidl are launching a smart home range this Thursday the 10th...

https://www.lidl.ie/smart-home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Looking at the extension lead, is the only smart feature "fast charge"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Looking at the extension lead, is the only smart feature "fast charge"?

I never get this with irish sites not having the same info available as the uk.
    Below is the extension lead details from lidl.co.uk for this product.

Seems to connect over zigbee to a hub then depending on the hub you can do other smart features such as routines. I briefly looked at it but couldn't get any firm answer on this integrating with hue hub and I don't fancy adding a lidl silvercrest hub to my home automation setup.
    Easily manage your electronic devices and appliances anywhere
    Control your smart plug and devices with the Lidl Smart Home System
    Connect lights, kitchen appliances, household appliances, and much more
    Control connected devices from anywhere with Wi-Fi coverage
    Voice control with Google Assistant Secure encrypted communication
    With smart fast charge for improved charging times
    4x USB-A port and LED status indicator
    Free Lidl Smart Home app for iPad, iPhone and Android smartphones and tablet
    App functions: multiple timer programs, countdown function, auto on/off (at dusk/ dawn) and automatic clock change (summer/ winter)
    Sockets can be controlled separately
    Overcurrent protection
    Requires a Zigbee-compatible gateway for use (sold separately)
    With quick set-up instructions : complete instructions available via the app or from the service website
    Cable length: 120cm
    3-year warranty

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/smart-home/silvercrest-smart-usb-extension-lead/p37577

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Uriel. wrote: »

I got an email this evening from amazon.co.uk about vat and customs basically import fee deposit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ifd

So do we switch to another amazon or just grin and bear it

Join Ireland Weather Network

I got an email this evening from amazon.co.uk about vat and customs basically import fee deposit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ifd

So do we switch to another amazon or just grin and bear it

Not a bargain alert, can we discuss at

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058118872/26/#post115553174

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Wonder will the lights work with a Philps Hue hub?

Advertisement