Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

KingCong wrote: »
    Wonder will the lights work with a Philps Hue hub?

Have had a quick read around the internet on these and it seems that the bulbs, light strips and single smart plugs will integrate with Hue. The extension cable does not integrate and seems to require the silvercrest hub to get use of the functions.

But I haven't tested anything myself so this is all just second hand info from quick internet searches.

For 29.99 I might try a light strip if I can bother getting to Lidl on Thursday morning.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Seems they work with Hue...but not with Alexa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

If they are recognized by Hue Bridge, they behave like any other switch/bulb by Philips - so can be controller by any voice assistant that supports Hue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

So they wont work with amazon speakers with the built in hue functionality but most likely will work with Alexa commands if you have a separate hue hub and the bulbs linked through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I picked up a 2m light strip and bulb from Lidl this morning. They integrate perfectly with my Hue system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

JDxtra wrote: »
    I picked up a 2m light strip and bulb from Lidl this morning. They integrate perfectly with my Hue system.

Can you control them with Alexa ?

sharkman wrote: »
    Can you control them with Alexa ?

All Google Home here, no Alexa so can't test.

Thought I read somewhere they don't integrate with Alexa. On the packaging it mentions Google Home.

Looks like the bulb I got has a problem - there is no blue colour. Will bring this one back for an exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Can they be extended do you know? I wonder if I could bolt on a couple of spare hue extensions I have...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

So you you add them via the Hue app, or a SilverCrest one?

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    So you you add them via the Hue app, or a SilverCrest one?

Hue. Why would you use Silvercrest app when you want to connect them to Hue Bridge?

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Can they be extended do you know? I wonder if I could bolt on a couple of spare hue extensions I have...

They have an connector in the box to allow you to extend with another strip, although they do not currently sell strips on their own.

I don't know if the size is the same as the Hue strips.

grogi wrote: »
    Hue. Why would you use Silvercrest app when you want to connect them to Hue Bridge?

I don't know cleverclogs, that's why I asked.

Can't wait to be as smart as you!

Faulty bulb replaced by Lidl, no issues. Here's what they appear like when added to a Hue bridge...

4mNIqUQ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Faulty bulb replaced by Lidl, no issues. Here's what they appear like when added to a Hue bridge...

4mNIqUQ.png

So do you open the Hue app and Add Light? I've the lightstrip here but its not finding it

Double C wrote: »
    So do you open the Hue app and Add Light? I've the lightstrip here but its not finding it

Did you find by serial number?

Just press "add light", and it appeared within a few seconds - same process for bulb and strip. Did not need to add by serial number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Trying that and it's just at "Searching for devices", and then gives up and says "No new devices found"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I would assume my hue switches won't work with non-phillips bulbs?

Also, the switches are reduced at present to about €13. I have been watching the prices for a while.

Hue switch

I would assume my hue switches won't work with non-phillips bulbs?

They will work with any bulb that is connected to the Hue Bridge. You link the switch to the light inside the app.

• Advertisement

I don't know cleverclogs, that's why I asked.

Can't wait to be as smart as you!

Silvercrest App is needed only if you want to use the Silvercrest Gateway.

They will work with any bulb that is connected to the Hue Bridge. You link the switch to the light inside the app.

Perfect. Ill try to pick up some bulbs in Aldi. I would assume the tradfri bulbs work as well. I though there might have been an issue in the past with them

Silvercrest App is needed only if you want to use the Silvercrest Gateway.

Now wasn’t that a lot more helpful! ;)

Sound.

Just press "add light", and it appeared within a few seconds - same process for bulb and strip. Did not need to add by serial number.

Is there much difference in lumen output between these and the Hue colour bulbs?
    I’m assuming there’ll be no difference in colour seeing as the work off the same palette.

Reason I ask is I have 8no. GU10 that I need to change in the kitchen. Already have 2no. Hue colour ready to go.
    Would 6no. Lidl ones match, or would I be better off with 8no. Lidl?

Is there much difference in lumen output between these and the Hue?
    I’m assuming there’ll be no difference in colour seeing as the work off the same palette.

Reason I ask is I have 8no. GU10 that I need to change in the kitchen. Already have 2no. Hue colour ready to go.
    Would 6no. Aldi ones match, or would I be better off with 8no. Aldi?
    Personally, I'd use same type - unless two will be in a seperate area in the kitchen where a slight mismatch would not be noticable.

Perfect. Ill try to pick up some bulbs in Aldi. I would assume the tradfri bulbs work as well. I though there might have been an issue in the past with them

Hue supports Zigbee 3.0 (and it seems Silvercrest items support it too), while IKEA lights/switches don't and rely on older version of the protocol.
    Hue Bridge does have fallback to older versions, so Tradfri bulbs eventually link with Hue Bridge. But the connection is not bullet proof and gets frustrating at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

Personally, I'd use same type - unless two will be in a seperate area in the kitchen where a slight mismatch would not be noticable.

Yes i would do the same. I compared the colours to a newer Gu10 hue bulb, and the colours didn`t look as bright and dynamic, as the hue ones. The older type gu10 from hue might be a better colour wise for these.
    Also be careful with the colour gu10 they are very much like the old hue gu10 in shape they are longer and may not fit your ceiling mounting bracket.
    The other white ambiance ones are the normal shape and size.

I can confirm also alexa works with the lights and plug socket for voice commands.

lardarse wrote: »
    Yes i would do the same.

Was think the same, thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

If you're going to aldi, you will be out of luck.

Try lidl :)

• Advertisement

If you're going to aldi, you will be out of luck.

Try lidl :)

Ha ha :D

Advertisement