Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

yea me too, closest one available to Dublin is showing as Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

Doesn't mention Alexa compatibility so I presume it doesn't work with it ....would you know for sure?

EDIT I mean the lenovo 7inch touchscreen

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

deezell wrote: »
    Touch screen one is brilliant as a clock, lovely colour display,auto dims to soft colour scheme at night, very easy on the eye. Then of course its a full video screen, perfect for the kitchen.

Are you having the alarm-clock volume issue with these? I have three of them and was using one as a bedroom alarm. Had to give up using as an alarm because a recent over-the-air firmware update has introduced a really annoying bug where the alarm starts abruptly at max volume and jolts you awake :mad:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Smart-Display-Lenovo-Smart-Clock-with-Google-Assistant/Smart-clock-alarm-volume-too-loud-at-first/m-p/5040962

• Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭deezell

hazbot wrote: »
    Are you having the alarm-clock volume issue with these? I have three of them and was using one as a bedroom alarm. Had to give up using as an alarm because a recent over-the-air firmware update has introduced a really annoying bug where the alarm starts abruptly at max volume and jolts you awake :mad:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Smart-Display-Lenovo-Smart-Clock-with-Google-Assistant/Smart-clock-alarm-volume-too-loud-at-first/m-p/5040962

I haven't set the alarm at all, just got it as a Google assistant device. Nice clock, plays YouTube music, diverts it to the Chromecast on the HiFi, does everything the echo dot does with images.
    An Alarm that jolts you awake?, I'd hate that, I prefer one you sleep through!

boardz wrote: »
    Doesn't mention Alexa compatibility so I presume it doesn't work with it ....would you know for sure?

EDIT I mean the lenovo 7inch touchscreen

It's a Google licenced device, not Alexa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Torn between a few of those smart displays but heart set on Nest Hub Max. Just to wait for it to go on sale!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Ush1 wrote: »
    Torn between a few of those smart displays but heart set on Nest Hub Max. Just to wait for it to go on sale!

The max is the business

Down to €202 if you have or know someone VAT registered.

https://www.businessdirect.btireland.com/products/google-nest-hub-max---charcoal-ga00639-gb-FCFH.html

The max is the business

Down to €202 if you have or know someone VAT registered.

https://www.businessdirect.btireland.com/products/google-nest-hub-max---charcoal-ga00639-gb-FCFH.html

I am self employed and VAT registered, what does it mean by the product is VAT exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That VAT is not applied to the price they have listed.

kmart6 wrote: »

Ah right, hard to justify that to the taxman as a business expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,440 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kmart6 wrote: »

That wouldn’t be my understanding of Exempt. Exempt would apply that VAT is 0% as per tax laws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

That site should not say VAT exempt as they're not VAT exempt. Exempt sales are for services such as insurance, financial services etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ted1 wrote: »
    That wouldn’t be my understanding of Exempt. Exempt would apply that VAT is 0% as per tax laws

Technicallity, but VAT 0% and VAT exempt are two different things ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭pigtail33

hazbot wrote: »

Yes! I have noticed this the last couple of weeks/months. I'm used to waking up to an old style loud alarm, so it doesn't bother me that much, but I did like how the Lenovo gently eased you into waking up! It's just the first sound of the alarm that is full volume and it is quite annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭dam099

grogi wrote: »
    Technicallity, but VAT 0% and VAT exempt are two different things ;)

Not sure its fully either though? That product would clearly be high rate of VAT in normal circumstances, I would guess that the BT entity you are purchasing from on that site is UK based and cross border VAT rules apply, it can be supplied free of VAT to an Irish business who provide their VAT number but the business would then have an obligation to self account for the VAT on it (and an offsetting claim for the input VAT would be dubious if not business related).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Discount on Tado for those in the market

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

THE ALM wrote: »

Can these be used standalone?

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭xckjoo

thecivvie wrote: »
    Can these be used standalone?
    They use a gateway device so probably not or at least not easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Been looking at smart thermostats for a while and have an eye on the Tado ones but just curious, what do people do with heated towel rails? I have one in each bathroom (4) so I'm wondering what I do with these if I go individual and not stay zoned by floor. Can't fit tado thermostats to the rails as the valve heads point outwards.

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Been looking at smart thermostats for a while and have an eye on the Tado ones but just curious, what do people do with heated towel rails? I have one in each bathroom (4) so I'm wondering what I do with these if I go individual and not stay zoned by floor. Can't fit tado thermostats to the rails as the valve heads point outwards.

I have one dummy zone (created with an unused thermostat) that effective works as a zone for all-non-tado-radiators. Whenever it calls for heat, the racks heat up. I did set it for 25°C for 15 mins and 15°C for 75 mins. That switches the heating long enough for the racks to heat up. I've synced that with water heating to improve the boiler efficency.

Pity that you need extra thermostat and juggle like that. App should allow to control the boiler just on timers if you wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jem

I purchased 2 hive plugs a while back thought ( wrongly it appears) that they would work with my existing hue hub & bulbs.
    So if anyone interested let me know.
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Have 2 nests controlling the upstairs downstairs and hot water, (3 zones on the boiler) and Im wondering if i should go to Tado or something else for better in room control?
    Any thoughts as the nests work fine, but hard to find the right spot for them so that the heat is more evenly spread.
    Wondering if its really worth the effort to go to room by room control? and if so, whats the best solution?
    thanks in advance.

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Wondering if its really worth the effort to go to room by room control?

No, definately not worth it. IMHO. More zones means more chaotic patterns for the boiler, which kills the efficency.

Put the Nests in the coldest rooms on each floor and leave traditional TRV on the rads.

THE ALM wrote: »

Rock bottom prices, £32.50 each for TRVs in a 4 pack, £99.90 for the stat starter kit, but only an extra £30 for this with TWO Trvs, that's only £15 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

No, definately not worth it. IMHO. More zones means more chaotic patterns for the boiler, which kills the efficency.

Put the Nests in the coldest rooms on each floor and leave traditional TRV on the rads.

Thanks, forgot to mention that i have traditional TRVs, yes, think ill stick with what i have, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭championc

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Have 2 nests controlling the upstairs downstairs and hot water, (3 zones on the boiler) and Im wondering if i should go to Tado or something else for better in room control?
    Any thoughts as the nests work fine, but hard to find the right spot for them so that the heat is more evenly spread.
    Wondering if its really worth the effort to go to room by room control? and if so, whats the best solution?
    thanks in advance.

I can't say that I agree with @grogi

The one brilliant thing with Tado's are that they soooo evenly heat a room. Set it to 22deg and it will never really reach 23 nor will it drop to 21. You then have the added control of turning off some rads completely at certain times of the day, or having different temperatures on a rad at different times and even on different days.

And as for the prices - I paid 179 for Quads last year - and at the time, it was a good price, but a quad pack at 129 is a steal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

championc wrote: »

The one brilliant thing with Tado's are that they soooo evenly heat a room. Set it to 22deg and it will never really reach 23 nor will it drop to 21. You then have the added control of turning off some rads completely at certain times of the day, or having different temperatures on a rad at different times and even on different days.

And as for the prices - I paid 179 for Quads last year - and at the time, it was a good price, but a quad pack at 129 is a steal

Looked at it last night and the prices have now rocketed...Im not impressed:mad:

Looked at it last night and the prices have now rocketed...Im not impressed:mad:

It was a 12h offer. Have a look on Amazon (they are massively invested in Tado°), there will be more offers from now till new years.

championc wrote: »

The one brilliant thing with Tado's are that they soooo evenly heat a room.

You'll get exactly the same with quality TRVs and smart thermostat in coldest room in each zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It was a 12h offer. Have a look on Amazon (they are massively invested in Tado°), there will be more offers from now till new years.

Will i need to drain the rad to put the valves on?

Ive a heating job being doen at the end of the week so it would have been ideal

Advertisement