Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What ELM got next!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They don’t supply some parts. They do supply some parts though.

No idea what they do and they don’t.
    I remember ringing to buy a pollen filter and the parts guy just mentioned, yeah that’s not a protected part.

Then obviously the Rich Rebuilds YT channel highlights it more.

I must ring about the front bumper bottom lip. There’s a crease in mine and it’s annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

He is bored of it, this is all to reinforce his desire to get "something else" and to pacify Mrs. Elm, he would get a cyber truck in the morning and any complaints of Tesla's service would be dismissed. I would think that if a cyber truck was available, the idea would be sold as an upgrade to us and Mrs. Elm.

My suggestion is to continue with your pretext, get your big V 12(or what tickles your fancy) then wait and complain and then get the cyber truck.

Best of luck with your new purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Having scanned this thread it wouldn't be difficult to find a tad of schadenfreude in the non-Tesla, Non IONIQ EV owners who have often been at the receiving end of what could be construed as pretty disparaging remarks on not owning a Tesla or a IONIQ

I hear ya but I wouldn't put ELM in that category. He's pretty straight talking & calls it like he sees it, much to the chagrin of the teslarati :pac:.

I think it's just human nature to defend one's own choice of car, positive reinforcement or confirmation bias etc. No one wants to admit their €50k car purchase was a mistake.

Agree though, Tesla aren't alone in meting out poor treatment to customers. Look at Black_Knight's poor experiences with a Hyundai dealer etc. It's common these days, unfortunately, but people seem happy to accept dire build quality & poor customer service from Tesla, for whatever reason.

As ELM said, great cars in many respects, battery tech, drivetrains etc., but that lead won't last forever & when they are just another car manufacturer, they won't be able to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,837 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Kramer wrote: »
    No one wants to admit their €50k car purchase was a mistake.

OP did a huge mileage pre-COVID and the money saving from having an EV was the main reason for buying one, he's been very clear about that

Now working from home, that reason is gone and the car has a large amount of finance outstanding, so it is costing a lot, for very little benefit. Now doing low mileage, you might as well get something extremely uneconomical that you like, i.e. a V12 petrol guzzler, BMW 760iL, ELM? :cool:

Lumen wrote: »
    The joy comes from the independents.

Indeed. I've owned many higher end cars over the decades (BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.) and the second most important thing after buying a good car to start with is to have a good indy and have a good relationship with them based on trust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I dont understand why I'm being slated by some folks. I owned a Leaf, I owned an Ioniq, and now the S. The best customer experience in the end was, by far, the Ioniq. And that says something.

Regards the comments about self justifying, if I wanted to buy a different car I'd do it in the morning. I don't want to. I want the Tesla I purchased and believed in.

At the moment I'm sitting in Sandyford looking out at the ETron!

80sDiesel wrote: »
    What garage would give you a loaner car for changing some tyres ?
    I am getting other work done.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I dont understand why I'm being slated by some folks. I owned a Leaf, I owned an Ioniq, and now the S. The best customer experience in the end was, by far, the Ioniq. And that says something.

That's interesting! The customer service I got from Hyundai was pretty poor. It was clear they didn't know much about electric cars at the time

After they messed me about, with me sitting around for 5 hours, they finally admitted they couldn't sort the issue that day. Reluctantly they gave me a loaner, a brand new sh1tter of a diesel IX20 with the fuel light already on when I drove off :rolleyes: First time and hopefully the last time in my life that I put diesel into a car.

My experience with Tesla customer service is far superior

I'm the first to state though that the build quality and reliability of the Hyundai is probably somewhere at the top of EVs and Tesla somewhere near the bottom :p

My ioniq experience was with the dealer in Rathgar that closed. Not hyundai direct, perhaps thats the difference.
    I nipped over to Audi (and the useddirect dealer beside) but sales in both places were covid closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

unkel wrote: »
    It's not my own experience with Tesla Sandyford though and like yourself I have also dealt with Juliette, Philip and Tariq. See my thread for my experience. Which has generally been quite positive.

Could only agree with this. I've been a frequent enough visitor and have only had good experiences with them. My experience has been by and large before the influx of 3's that are now on the road, so perhaps this has put them under pressure on the service end.

B

• Advertisement

I joined the owners group meetup at the weekend and it was a mix of good and bad experiences. The bad tended to be more recent, so you're right, its partly to do with the m3

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    Could only agree with this. I've been a frequent enough visitor and have only had good experiences with them.

That's the problem right there! :p

The quality of the cars, not so much the quality of the customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

That's the problem right there! :p

The quality of the cars, not so much the quality of the customer service.

I can only agree Unkel. It's the first car that I've owned whereby I know the name of everyone in service... Quality is nothing like what you'd expect for the price of these cars. It can be shockingly awful.

Drove an equivalently priced German luxobarge for the weekend and in terms of quality it's several steps on from a Tesla. It was refined, little or no wind noise, had 1200kms of range (full tank of daysul) and every refinement known to man with fancy massage seats etc.

But honestly, it left me cold by comparison to the Tesla. I would have no interest in the luxobarge but I would buy another MS or M3 in the morning. Technically they are brilliant and as the fanboy's will tell you, they keep getting better and better with the over the air updates. It's just a pity the build quality doesn't keep getting better and better - it is, in my view and some three years of ownership later, rubbish.

To update this post somewhat.

After the first calamitous visit, I needed to come back for some suspension work and the MCU. Invoice sent with 1800/2100 price ex/inc vat.
    I said to proceed to order the parts and book me in when they and a loan car are available.

Appointment booked and loaner provided (192 performance S, locked in chill mode). At this time I spoke in person to Keith, the head of customer service for Ireland. I provided my feedback but I dont expect any change. To be honest my conversation with Keith has done nothing but concretely confirm I will not be buying a Tesla again.

Came to collect the car 2 days later.

The suspension work was completed, they again refused to fix the mcu issue and said a software fix would come shortly as its been "sent to the engineers". Grand says i, I'll continue to monitor and collect timestamps

The bill presented to me was for 2700. I was expecting a bit for the loan car so I was prepared for a bit extra but I queried to be sure.
    This was at 5pm (time I was told to collect the car at).

About 25 minutes later the chap returned with the comment "Oh, that's a duplication".
    Like, what? How that that happen in a serious company. I paid and left as at that stage I'd been there an hour, there were other customers about ignoring social distancing so I wanted to leave for my safety covid wise.

Two days later I received a call from Tesla, stating that there was another trim piece (wheel arch liner) that they had managed to source and they could send the ranger out to do it. I actually without thinking just said to the woman on the phone, "no thanks I've had enough".

I am done, with a capital DONE, at this stage. What a company. They've taken just over a year to turn an obsessive cultist fanboy into someone who doesnt want to even talk about the car any more. The funny thing is, I've just spent 4k bringing it back to like new suspension wise (it does drive like a different car), new tires, fixed all niggly issues etc so it's perfect along with years tax and 2 year NCT, but I actively hate it. It makes my skin crawl to think about it.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

So an etron eh?

I was passed by an e-tron the other day, who drove on even more than I did (in the Model X), once he was in front of me it dawned on me how tiny it was. Or should I say how huge the Model X is :o:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Given how well known the MCU issue is.....

Anything to be said for putting a solicitor on the job and putting pressure on Tesla that way.

Im saying this on the assumption there is some symptom or symptoms of MCU issues and that it's Tesla insisting it's not "bad enough" yet.

If there's no symptoms then unfortunately I can't see any manufacturer fixing a currently fault free item outside of a specific recall or campaign.

:(:(

So an etron eh?

I sent them a trade in request via the online system (sales office was closed) when I was in my first visit at Tesla about 2 weeks ago and they havent called me back.

Was more in curiosity tbh. My next car will have >=6 cylinders, probably something american.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Old diesel wrote: »
    Given how well known the MCU issue is.....

Anything to be said for putting a solicitor on the job and putting pressure on Tesla that way.

:(:(

Like what is the letter going to say exactly - there's nothing wrong with the car and you'd send a legal letter to get it fixed? Or demand a private business carry out a repair that the customer is willing to pay for?

Orebro wrote: »
    Like what is the letter going to say exactly - there's nothing wrong with the car and you'd send a legal letter to get it fixed? Or demand a private business carry out a repair that the customer is willing to pay for?
    That there is a problem that they are refusing to address?

• Advertisement

Bit of a storm in a tea cup this?

Tesla read out the logs, the problem is not significant enough to warrant a fix. Not yet anyway. Exact same thing happened to me. Had a few minor issues and reboots, Tesla said it was ok. Then a few months later they read it out again and then the problem had apparently gone worse (not that I noticed), so they replaced the daughter board

If I were the OP, I would talk nicely to Tesla, wait another month or so, tell them you still have issues and would they kindly check again. And if faulty, would they kindly replace it (for free) under the newly announced extended warranty. I know you don't strictly qualify because of your high mileage, but you could always ask. I found the staff in Tesla Sandyford to be most helpful this way. They changed a light bulb for me for free (bumper off job), bulbs are never covered under any warranty

Nah, man, the love is gone at this point. I'm done with Tesla and I couldnt be arsed making any further contact with them. If I could find a buyer at the right price I'd bite their hand off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,691 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I was passed by an e-tron the other day, who drove on even more than I did (in the Model X), once he was in front of me it dawned on me how tiny it was. Or should I say how huge the Model X is :o:p:D

i was parked beside one recently and there was very little in it, x was higher alright,

actually just checked the dimesions online, x is ~ 10 cm longer and 3cm wider

Cyrus wrote: »
    i was parked beside one recently and there was very little in it, x was higher alright,

actually just checked the dimesions online, x is ~ 10 cm longer and 3cm wider

Where did you get those figures from? I get (figures from Autoweek):

Model X L 5036 W 2070 H 1684
    e-tron L 4901 W 1935 H 1616

So significantly bigger in every dimension, particularly in width. The Tesla is wider than a Hummer :p very noticeable at home parked on the drive, I couldn't get the bin past last Monday :p:o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,691 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Where did you get those figures from? I get (figures from Autoweek):

Model X L 5036 W 2070 H 1684
    e-tron L 4901 W 1935 H 1616

So significantly bigger in every dimension, particularly in width. The Tesla is wider than a Hummer :p very noticeable at home parked on the drive, I couldn't get the bin past last Monday :p:o:D

first thing that came up in google, was wrong obviously, jesus 13cm in width, thats a big motor, lot wider than a range rover.

Yes it's crazy wide. Wider than a Hummer. And that yoke was so wide because it was designed to drive in the same tracks as full size army trucks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Orebro wrote: »

My understanding is that ELM327 is having issues/symptoms related to the MCU.

Tesla are refusing to fix.

Obviously if "nothing wrong" there is no obligation outside of a recall or campaign by Tesla.

I alluded to that in my post which you've only half quoted.

My understanding is that ELMs car IS having symptoms of an issue and Tesla are refusing to fix.

Preferring to wait for it to get worse.

Remember this is an actual known issue on the car.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Remember this is an actual known issue on the car.

It's more than a known issue. It's the subject of an investigation by US authorities & a probable forced recall as it's a safety issue.

Tesla have tried everything to squirm out of their responsibility & are now trying to appease the authorities by a implementing another partial, extended warranty/replacement scheme.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/11/after-12523-replacements-feds-investigate-tesla-media-control-unit-failures/?amp=1

A full recall will do reputational damage & cost 100s of millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭sk8board

It will be interesting to see what happens to Tesla quality control when they scale up production and the buyers are from beyond the pool of long-standing preorders, wealthy early adopters, tech savvy buyers, and what I might describe as ‘very patient fans’.

• Advertisement

sk8board wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what happens to Tesla quality control

I don't think they have any quality control :D.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement