Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Deagol wrote: »
    I can't say too much but I'm involved in how selling things as a service works and you guys are not taking into account how it can be deeply profitable. The 'service' word is the key one.

Do tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Do tell?

We expect to make our money on the spares and repairs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Yep that's the service business way and needless to say all replaced parts will be sold at a reasonable cost.

Na im only kidding, they will cost a bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

idc wrote: »
    Just curious am I crazy to not use day/night meter and partially fill my battery during the winter? Use about 11 to 14 kWh total a day. Of that between 2.5 and 4 is during night rate period. Have a 5.7kWh battery.

Been doing the for the last few weeks, might as well make us of it.
    No point in having a 7kw paper weight sitting there doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I can't say too much but I'm involved in how selling things as a service works and you guys are not taking into account how it can be deeply profitable. The 'service' word is the key one.

Are you in the solar installation business? or are you just speculating about the company that offer the SAAS model? do you actually have any facts to back up your assertions about how the company will be operating?
    There appears to be many satisfied clients in this thread and RZenzik was treated fine after he had some initial problems.

• Advertisement

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Yep that's the service business way and needless to say all replaced parts will be sold at a reasonable cost.

Na im only kidding, they will cost a bomb.

Going back to pv's. Warranty will only ever cover parts failure no matter where it comes from, a DD or an upfront payment. Storm damage is debatable. We're the panels damaged due to shoddy workmanship

If they are servicing the equipment, they're also inspecting it and ensuring they are secure
    You go interfering with the equipment and it's void.

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Are you in the solar installation business? or are you just speculating about the company that offer the SAAS model? do you actually have any facts to back up your assertions about how the company will be operating?
    There appears to be many satisfied clients in this thread and RZenzik was treated fine after he had some initial problems.

Look, I work in a totally different sector - I'm not casting any aspersions on anyone - I'm merely trying to explain how in general the services model is expected to work in my industry and how I understand it works in many other industries. I'm not here to have arguments with people who seem to know better. I've read the contract, I've given MY opinion on it backed by my experience. If you want to believe contrary then that is your right. Enjoy - and I hope your experience is positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Look, I work in a totally different sector - I'm not casting any aspersions on anyone - I'm merely trying to explain how in general the services model is expected to work in my industry and how I understand it works in many other industries. I'm not here to have arguments with people who seem to know better. I've read the contract, I've given MY opinion on it backed by my experience. If you want to believe contrary then that is your right. Enjoy - and I hope your experience is positive.

Sound, I thought you might have specific information or knowledge of the solar sector but it turns out to be speculation after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭championc

So would you recommend that people buy out the contract at the earliest opportunity ?

championc wrote: »
    So would you recommend that people buy out the contract at the earliest opportunity ?

By staying in, service and maintenance is included

• Advertisement

If it was me, and I thought the install cost of the system was good - yes, it does appear to be the prudent choice.

By staying in, service and maintenance is included

I'm intrigued - what would you expect service and maintenance wise ? There are no moving parts and I cannot see them coming around once a year to wash the panels either.

I'm intrigued - what would you expect service and maintenance wise ? There are no moving parts and I cannot see them coming around once a year to wash the panels either.
    never had panels before or now, so no idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Prinscarnaval

Hi slave1, could you please PM me the details of your contact please?
    I'm looking to install 18 panels on south-facing flat roof.
    Got quote for 18 x Q Cells panels (Duo G8 340W mono), Schweizer roof system, Solis 5k (or 6k) hybrid converter, Pylon Tech US2000 2.4KWh Battery for €11K incl VAT ex grant (€8k after grant)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hi slave1, could you please PM me the details of your contact please?
    I'm looking to install 18 panels on south-facing flat roof.
    Got quote for 18 x Q Cells panels (Duo G8 340W mono), Schweizer roof system, Solis 5k (or 6k) hybrid converter, Pylon Tech US2000 2.4KWh Battery for €11K incl VAT ex grant (€8k after grant)

Wow, that's a good bit more than what I paid for a very similar (but larger panels) system, I'll PM you shortly

18 no Canadian Solar 410w PERC Poly panels
    BPE 5 KW Hybrid Dual MPPT inverter.
    Fireman's switch
    All DC cabling and isolators.
    All AC cabling and isolators
    All protection devices required to inverter.
    Pylontec 2.4 kw including mounting bracket.

Gross cost of €8,620, less grant of €3,000, net cost of €5,620

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Wow, that's a good bit more than what I paid for a very similar (but larger panels) system, I'll PM you shortly

Fireman's switch

Maybe his installer thought that his install would take two days rather than one !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭daithihalton

So thanks to all that contribute here its very helpful when researching.
    I have the following system ordered and hope to have it fitted in the next week or so

qty 12 JAS 410W Split panels
    qty 1 BPE 5.0 KW Dual MPPT Hybrid inverter.
    qty 2 Pylontec 2.4 kw Battery
    Isolator, wiring etc.

Pre Grant €8,500 post grant €5,500

• Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Fireman's switch

Can you pm your installer please. Thanks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

6 wrote: »
    Can you pm your installer please. Thanks!

Will do

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

The impression I get having gone through this process is if some installers get a whiff that you might not be clued up or informed about solar PV prices, except a high quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

The impression I get having gone through this process is if some installers get a whiff that you might not be clued up or informed about solar PV prices, except a high quote.

expect?

Sorry teecher couldn't resist:)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭slayer91

Could PM me your installer as well pls

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

irishchris wrote: »
    Well got my grant paid out today, only just over two weeks after forms uploaded by installer. Changed to under review last week on the seai website and payment pending on Friday. Received payment made email this morning.

Now to get my monthly payment reduced to 19.99 :-)
    Am going with the same company have my grant approved ,how long did the install take from ordering ? Mine has been ordered about 5 weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Will do

could you pm me details also...thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

BrendanD wrote: »
    Am going with the same company have my grant approved ,how long did the install take from ordering ? Mine has been ordered about 5 weeks now

The only bad thing I could say about this company was the length of time it took from sure survey to install. Survey done in July and install done in first week of October. Other than then only good things to say about them. Sent grant to them and straight after them receiving grant I got email confirming receipt and new direct debit confirmation invoice of 19.99 going forward

irishchris wrote: »
    The only bad thing I could say about this company was the length of time it took from sure survey to install. Survey done in July and install done in first week of October. Other than then only good things to say about them. Sent grant to them and straight after them receiving grant I got email confirming receipt and new direct debit confirmation invoice of 19.99 going forward

How much are you generating these days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Any more word on loosening of council planning regs for solar?

I would like to expand in the future, and I'd have no bother adding panels to the west face, but my south facing garage is as full as it can get presently with the 50cm rule from the council.

If they relaxed, I could go from 9 to 18 or maybe even 20. At a rough calculation yesterday my south facing set were performing 5 times better than the west ones. So adding panels on the house would be great in the good weather but wouldn't make a tap of difference in the winter.

And second question, if I upgrade, then do I just add another inverter?

Currently I have a 5kw Solis with one string each for the 2 sets of panels.

Would I be right in thinking that if I doubled the panels on each set, I could add an inverter in the garage to handle 9 panels each string and change the one in the house to handle the second row of house panels on the second string?

Or would it be cheaper to just upgrade the 5kw to a single thing that could handle the lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,826 ✭✭✭✭unkel

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Any more word on loosening of council planning regs for solar?

I would like to expand in the future, and I'd have no bother adding panels to the west face, but my south facing garage is as full as it can get presently with the 50cm rule from the council.

LOL, never mind the 50cm rule, you already have way, way, way more panels than you are allowed to install without planning permission :p

I wouldn't worry about it though, a precedent has been set, most unlikely that the council will come after you.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    LOL, never mind the 50cm rule, you already have way, way, way more panels than you are allowed to install without planning permission :p

The point is I changed my plans from 20 down to 9 on the garage just to make sure I meet the guidelines for planning approval if required.

If those guidelines relaxed then I'd double the number in a heart beat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement