Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Regarding battery v no battery.

Our house is occupied every day, so I'd be confident a lot of the generated powered will be used. Then hopefully a FIT soon. In two minds if battery is required at all, and go with a standard inverted instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭idc

6 wrote: »
    Regarding battery v no battery.

Our house is occupied every day, so I'd be confident a lot of the generated powered will be used. Then hopefully a FIT soon. In two minds if battery is required at all, and go with a standard inverted instead.

My house is occupied all day too but you should look at your usage first. the load on the house normally is not much over our base load, yes cooking/washing/dryer/etc are big draws but everything else is tiny in comparison, hence you'll be giving away most of electricity initially for free, even with FIT is what you sell going to cost more or less than what you could of got back from battery storage? Personally I rather self consume as much as possible and see FIT as bonus after that. Start of september i was powering house till between 2 and 6am most nights because of battery.

FIT is still an unknown. How much will we actually get for our kWh?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

idc wrote: »
    FIT is still an unknown. How much will we actually get for our kWh?

We'll be lucky to get night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

graememk wrote: »
    We'll be lucky to get night rate.

4-5c is the rumour I keep hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

DrPhilG wrote: »
    4-5c is the rumour I keep hearing.

Can we start a rumour of 8c to 10c just to make us feel better.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 alesironi

A few quotes, first with no battery, second with battery. Thoughts and comments welcomed :)

12 no JAS 410W Split panels or equivalent to 5kw.
    1 BPE 5.0 KW  Dual MPPT Hybrid inverter.

5692 pre Grant
    3892 post grant

12 no JAS 410W Split panels or equivalent to 5kw.
    1 BPE 5.0 KW  Dual MPPT Hybrid inverter.

1 no 2.4 Pylontec battery and bracket.

7088 pre Grant
    4088 post grant

You have PM
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Tradnuts

OK, I’ve signed a deal. A HUGE thanks to everyone on this forum.
    I’ve saved a lot (and gotten a bigger system) because of everyone’s help here. Thanks!

I got 3 quotes, all for a similar setup.
    What I went with is a bigger system than the initial quotes.
    I have a big enough roof space. We currently have oil heating the hot water for the winter and use the immersion exclusively for 6 months to heat the hot water for all showers. As a result, our electricity bill goes up a lot during these 6 months (plus three growing kids). Hence the iboost. The basic battery is to meet the grant requirements.

So here are the 3 initial quotes:
    Quote 1
    16 x JA 340w = 5.4KW system
    5KW solis Hybrid inverter
    2.4kw Pylontec battery
    Iboost immersion diverter
    Wifi monitoring
    9k less grant = 6k

Quote 2
    16 x JA 340w = 5.4KW system
    2.4kw Pylontec battery
    Wifi monitoring
    €9,006 less grant = €6,006 (essentially the same quote)

Quote 3
    15 x Qcells 340w = 5.1 KW system
    3kw Pylontec battery
    Wifi monitoring
    10k less grant = 7k

All three suppliers were generous with their time on the phone.
    Only one supplier came to my house to view the setup, and that is why I went with them. The guy called, took the time to talk about my house/kids/needs/panel position, etc. He seemed trustworthy, and it's as simple as that. This is why I chose him. He was quote number 1. I added 4 more panels, to make it a 20-panel 6.8kw system.
    12 Panels will face south, and 8 will face west.

Price €9,800 less grant = €6,800 price to me. (plus a BER after install)

If anyone wants the supplier's details, just PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Tradnuts wrote: »
    Only one supplier came to my house to view the setup, and that is why I went with them. The guy called, took the time to talk about my house/kids/needs/panel position, etc. He seemed trustworthy, and it's as simple as that. This is why I chose him. He was quote number 1. I added 4 more panels, to make it a 20-panel 6.8kw system.
    12 Panels will face south, and 8 will face west.

Price €9,800 less grant = €6,800 price to me. (plus a BER after install)

If anyone wants the supplier's details, just PM me.

Congrats and well done on doing your homework.

Very similar setup to mine, I've got 6.2kwp with 9 south and 11 west. I'm using the 310w JA rather than the 340w for aesthetic reasons.

I suspect you're using the same supplier as myself and a few others here although I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Tradnuts wrote: »
    OK, I’ve signed a deal. A HUGE thanks to everyone on this forum.
    I’ve saved a lot (and gotten a bigger system) because of everyone’s help here. Thanks!

I got 3 quotes, all for a similar setup.
    What I went with is a bigger system than the initial quotes.
    I have a big enough roof space. We currently have oil heating the hot water for the winter and use the immersion exclusively for 6 months to heat the hot water for all showers. As a result, our electricity bill goes up a lot during these 6 months (plus three growing kids). Hence the iboost. The basic battery is to meet the grant requirements.

Welcome to the club, I did the same as you. The owner came out and we did a deal straight away and yes i went bigger with the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

For those interested!

My grand plan comes to fruition - though I wish I'd actually had a plan...

I did it in 2 stages, 1st stage was before I found this thread (doh!).

1st Stage:

7x 320w Roof mounted panels (WSW facing)
    1x 2kw Trannergy Inverter
    1x Eddi
    1x Harvi
    1x BER
    Associated switches etc.

Cost €5400 Total, €3600 with grant rebate.

2nd Stage:
    12x 340w ground mounted panels (SSE facing)
    1x 5kw Solis Hybrid Inverter
    1x 5Kw Puredrive Battery
    6x Tigo Optimizers (added once I could see bottom panels shaded ~November to ~February). Picture was taken at 9am in the morning in November so that shading is from trees and other structures low on the horizion. I might add optimizers to all the panels though as I have spare pennies.

Cost €8100, €7500 with grant rebate.

Expected savings per year based on CURRENT energy prices (which I think some people forget are very unlikely to go any direction but up)!

Electricity: ~€110 per billing cycle - €660 p/a
    Oil: ~€100 p/a (Based on using 2 ltrs of oil to heat hot water for showers etc over the months when boiler is not needed to heat the house.

Based on that alone my payback is ~14 years :( .

But, hoping that once FIT is announced and I will be able to sell the expected lots of surplus in summer months those numbers will change. Plus long range plan will be to get an electric car I can charge with a zappi - not sure how that might change the whole payback scenario.

Lessons learned - I should have planned better what I wanted to do, but I was so happy with first seven panels I got a bit carried away :)
    Also, the interest free credit / payment plan from a major energy supplier I bought the first seven under is not the great value it first appeared - once I figured out the amount I paid was way over the odds :( I should have shopped around.

Hopefully this is useful information for anyone getting a quote etc. Feel free to PM me if any more detailed questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Deagol wrote: »
    For those interested!

My grand plan comes to fruition - though I wish I'd actually had a plan...

I did it in 2 stages, 1st stage was before I found this thread (doh!).

1st Stage:

7x 320w Roof mounted panels (WSW facing)
    1x 2kw Trannergy Inverter
    1x Eddi
    1x Harvi
    1x BER
    Associated switches etc.

Cost €5400 Total, €3600 with grant rebate.

2nd Stage:
    12x 340w ground mounted panels (SSE facing)
    1x 5kw Solis Hybrid Inverter
    1x 5Kw Puredrive Battery
    6x Tigo Optimizers (added once I could see bottom panels shaded ~November to ~February). Picture was taken at 9am in the morning in November so that shading is from trees and other structures low on the horizion. I might add optimizers to all the panels though as I have spare pennies.

Cost €8100, €7500 with grant rebate.

Expected savings per year based on CURRENT energy prices (which I think some people forget are very unlikely to go any direction but up)!

Electricity: ~€110 per billing cycle - €660 p/a
    Oil: ~€100 p/a (Based on using 2 ltrs of oil to heat hot water for showers etc over the months when boiler is not needed to heat the house.

Based on that alone my payback is ~14 years :( .

But, hoping that once FIT is announced and I will be able to sell the expected lots of surplus in summer months those numbers will change. Plus long range plan will be to get an electric car I can charge with a zappi - not sure how that might change the whole payback scenario.

Lessons learned - I should have planned better what I wanted to do, but I was so happy with first seven panels I got a bit carried away :)
    Also, the interest free credit / payment plan from a major energy supplier I bought the first seven under is not the great value it first appeared - once I figured out the amount I paid was way over the odds :( I should have shopped around.

Hopefully this is useful information for anyone getting a quote etc. Feel free to PM me if any more detailed questions.

How'd you get the grant twice?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Battery attracts €600 rebate, no battery first time around

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Alkers wrote: »
    How'd you get the grant twice?

As slave1 says, I got the solar panel grant for 2.1kw first time, and then this time I got the battery grant. Or at least I'm hoping I get the battery grant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭championc

As slave1 says, I got the solar panel grant for 2.1kw first time, and then this time I got the battery grant. Or at least I'm hoping I get the battery grant :)

With the ground ones, I'd be resetting the angle of those panels every month, so that they catch the sun best as they can at noon. They are far too flat in my opinion, and I'd say you're getting little or nothing from them right now.

Dare I say, if they are flat due to the rear set being shaded by the front set, well at least shove the back set up.

championc wrote: »
    With the ground ones, I'd be resetting the angle of those panels every month, so that they catch the sun best as they can at noon. They are far too flat in my opinion, and I'd say you're getting little or nothing from them right now.

Dare I say, if they are flat due to the rear set being shaded by the front set, well at least shove the back set up.

They are at ~26degrees, 9 degrees off optimum. And actually are more angled than the fittings they are mounted on which are designed for ground / flat roof mounting.

No chance of front shading back, camera angle deceptive.

Haven't had a good day to check performance really - optimizers only went in yesterday, before that the front panels shaded by house shadow - I was aware that might be an issue. Plan is to eventually optimize them all from piggy bank money :)

They are at ~26degrees, 9 degrees off optimum.

If you therefore say that optimum is at 35°, then that's when the sun is at 55°, which is basically for a month and a half either side of midsummers day. At that time, you've huge long days. Optimum would be for panels to get the sun at 90° around half year 21 of March and October, so it's the sun is more the one at 35° so your panels need to be at 55°.

Jack the back side up on blocks

If you therefore say that optimum is at 35°, then that's when the sun is at 55°, which is basically for a month and a half either side of midsummers day. At that time, you've huge long days. Optimum would be for panels to get the sun at 90° around half year 21 of March and October, so it's the sun is more the one at 35° so your panels need to be at 55°.

Jack the back side up on blocks

Source?

You may be right but it's not as simple as you make it sound. The renusol mounts are all joined by aluminium rails to hold everything level etc on the unlevel ground. Plus there is wind effect to be thought of, as they are they are supposed to be proof against getting blown away - if i push them up in the air they may get blown away!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭idc

Would it not be better to use website like this
    https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html

To work out optimum angle and orientation for setting up ground based panels (assuming you can position any direction required!)

• Advertisement

You may be right but it's not as simple as you make it sound. The renusol mounts are all joined by aluminium rails to hold everything level etc on the unlevel ground. Plus there is wind effect to be thought of, as they are they are supposed to be proof against getting blown away - if i push them up in the air they may get blown away!

Ok, but are the rails anchored into the ground ? Normally, those same rails are anchored to a roof, but surely you can move from one end to the other, hitching the row up gradually as you go, and after a few passes, you should be raised up enough to get a concrete block under every meter, and you could even attach the rails to the blocks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭slayer91

Hi,

Did you source and install the ground mounted panels yourself.

On the same path as you I think, going with an installer and grant aided install on my garage roof and then looking to add some ground mounted panels next year.

Was it hard to source the fittings and materials for the ground mounts?

Regards

LIam

slayer91 wrote: »
    Hi,

Did you source and install the ground mounted panels yourself.

On the same path as you I think, going with an installer and grant aided install on my garage roof and then looking to add some ground mounted panels next year.

Was it hard to source the fittings and materials for the ground mounts?

Regards

LIam

No, i had a great installer who was willing to try this; I don't think he'll be doing it again though as he ended up spending many hours trying to get it level :) Fair deuce to him he was determined to make it look decent even after I said it was fine a bit helter skelter.

The mountings are the Renusol one's available from a well known Irish online company. They are effectively plastic buckets that you place on the ground (I'd recommend concrete not what I've done!) and then fill up with some weight - any ballast will do. Then the panels just clamp on top.

Let me know if you want me to PM you the guy who did it for me, he'll love to hear another person looking to do it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

This may be of interest to a few here. There is currently a review of Ireland’s Long-Term Renovation Strategy 2020, which is accepting public submissions

The submission is in the form of a set of on-line questions at:

https://www.gov.ie/en/consultation/b0eae-public-consultation-following-the-publication-of-irelands-long-term-renovation-strategy-2020/#

The document being reviewed is available at https://assets.gov.ie/90215/288fca06-a376-4110-87e5-5cfa45917f03.pdf

Q3 and Q11 are important ones for people installing panels.

Q3 - increase the 12m squared limit on a roof for panels please :) Mention the Limerick case where the person appealed and a large system was left in place.

Q11 - FIT asap please :)

Tomorrow is the deadline for should only take a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

This may be of interest to a few here. There is currently a review of Ireland’s Long-Term Renovation Strategy 2020, which is accepting public submissions

The submission is in the form of a set of on-line questions at:

https://www.gov.ie/en/consultation/b0eae-public-consultation-following-the-publication-of-irelands-long-term-renovation-strategy-2020/#

The document being reviewed is available at https://assets.gov.ie/90215/288fca06-a376-4110-87e5-5cfa45917f03.pdf

Q3 and Q11 are important ones for people installing panels.

Q3 - increase the 12m squared limit on a roof for panels please :) Mention the Limerick case where the person appealed and a large system was left in place.

Q11 - FIT asap please :)

Tomorrow is the deadline for should only take a few mins.

Excellent! I was able to submit the form today. Here's my response to question 3 in case people want to modify the wording a bit and submit in support. Feel free to update if there's anything I missed - I just threw this together in the few mins break I had from work. Also it's not in Q3 but one of the other questions asks if current plans are sufficient to meet the Government's targets. You should mention that the current plans aren't sufficient to meet the Paris agreement emissions targets which the Government has signed up to and that this change would be a step towards addressing that issue.

Currently the size of retrofit solar installations which would be exempt from planning permission requirements is limited to 12 square metres at residential properties. This applies whether the system is installed on the roof of the homeowner's property or on the curtilage/grounds of the property.

The relevant restriction is outlined in the latest planning and development regulations available here:
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/legislations/planning_and_development_regulations_2001-2020_unofficial_consolidationannotated16.09.2020.pdf

The relevant text was inserted by article 5 of S.I. No. 235/2008 – Planning and Development Regulations 2008 and reads:

"The installation or erection of a solar panel on, or within the curtilage of a
    house, or any buildings within the curtilage of a house......

The total aperture area of any such panel, taken together with any other such panel previously placed on or within the said curtilage, shall not exceed 12 square metres or 50% of the total roof area, whichever is the lesser."

This is an enormous barrier to retrofits by homeowners in Ireland which would permit sustainable energy generation. Using current solar technology 12 square metres would permit a maximum of c. 6 solar panels, or c. 2kwh of peak generation. The average Irish household uses c. 4200kWh per year (source: https://www.cru.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/CER17042-Review-of-Typical-Consumption-Figures-Decision-Paper-1.pdf) or 11.5 kwh per day. A solar system with 2kwh peak generation would only cover a fraction of that usage.

By contrast, a 6kw system which would be technically feasible with a single-phase power supply would supply most of a homeowner's daily usage. This however would require an area of c. 35 square metres - almost triple the size currently exempted from planning permission.

An 11kw peak system would take up c. 65 square metres - over 5 times the size currently exempt from planning requirments. An 11kw system would supply enough power for both household usage and the charging of an electric vehicle for most homeowners. Alternatively excess production could be fed back into the grid for use by neighboring properties.

The current system of requiring planning for installations larger than 12 square metres in size is a significant barrier to renovations. The drafting of plans for the purpose of application for planning permission would add at least 50% to the cost of such a system. Furthermore planning requirements significantly delay the installation process. The time costs imposed on the homeowners of going through the planning process significantly shift the cost/benefit equation away from the choice to install solar.

Since about half of the cost of installing a solar system are fixed and relate to the labour of the installation crews rather than the equipment, small systems are less economically viable. Larger systems by contrast are less expensive on a cost per kwh basis because the fixed cost of installation are spread over a larger peak production capacity. This is another significant barrier to retrofits for sustainable energy generation. Increasing the size exempted under planning regulations would shift the cost/benefit equation in favour of solar.

Other European countries including Northern Ireland provide exemption from planning requirements for solar installations which cover the entire available roofspace. As a result a far higher proportion of homes in Northern Ireland have installed solar systems.

Therefore a target should be to remove the 12 square metre maximum size from current planning regulations and to instead permit homeowners to use the full scope of their roofspace for solar installations.

Furthermore, the 12 square metre limitation makes no sense in the context of ground solar installations within the curtilage of homeowners' properties. As previously mentioned, an 11kw system which is technically feasible with a 3-phase power supply could power both the typical Irish house and an electric vehicle. Such a system would be roughly 65 square metres in size and could easily fit in a corner of the garden of many Irish properties. An increase of the size limitation for installations within the curtilage to c. 60 square metres would permit homeowners to maximise the benefit to the environment from retrofitting their properties with solar systems while maintaining a reasonable limit to address other considerations such as neighbours' view etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..as if they will equip us with that much power to take on the ESB and be properly self sufficient

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

slave1 wrote: »
    ..as if they will equip us with that much power to take on the ESB and be properly self sufficient

This isn't a hivemind decision. Each person within the government and its many arms is different. There's a lot of different people with a lot of different viewpoints who will ultimately determine whether or not this happens. Support for environmental issues is growing in the population, so by definition it is also growing within government and its bodies because the people who work there are from the population. Government wheels might turn slowly, but they are powerful when they move. It doesn't happen if everyone sits on their arse with a defeatist attitude, failing to highlight the issue in a way that could actually help because they're too busy complaining to mates over a pint down the local (or on the modern online equivalent).

To give a recent example - I spoke with a planning office person in my area about an 11kw system. She said they are very receptive towards planning applications for environmentally sustainable installations, provided they don't have noise etc. that would impact neighbours and issues like glint for neighbours (for ground-mount systems) are addressed through putting in a hedge etc.

You wouldn't think that from reading the news article about that lady in Limerick who had to go to An Board Planeala. However it's the case, and is probably due to different competing viewpoints. It's worth putting your case forward, there are people who have the same motivations and just need to be shown how to achieve goals.

They might not be aware that this planning issue is a barrier if they haven't gone down the road of getting solar installed before. Even many people who do go down that road are unaware of it! The installers certainly aren't mentioning it, as that lady in Limerick found out!

ESB networks have also agreed to install the 3-phase supply necessary for that system so I think it is incorrect to state that everyone at the ESB are against installation of residential solar. Maybe some are, but it's a big organisation and some are all-for sustainable energy. They make most of their money from transmission anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭batmanzed

I've just (well not just, it's been a few hours!) read the whole thread and I'm a bit goggle eyed and have a bit to digest. I'd be very grateful for a pm or 2 with the names of some of your installers. If its not too cheeky to do so could I please ask for pms from Dr Phil, World's goodest teacher, and Slave1(cool to see you pop up in The Mandalorian btw)

I was completely unaware of PV solar until the weekend and I'm now convinced it's for me. The front of my dormer is south facing. I didn't pick up on it, but before I dial up the enthusiasm is there any difficulty installing on the front of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,826 ✭✭✭✭unkel

batmanzed wrote: »
    I didn't pick up on it, but before I dial up the enthusiasm is there any difficulty installing on the front of the house?

If you plan to install more than 7 panels (and you should), then technically you need planning permission. This was never much of an issue if you installed on the back of your house, but on the front where people can see it from the road, it is more obvious and you could get a busybody neighbour or someone from the council spot it and find you do not have permission

Thankfully this happened to a lady in Limerick who had plastered the front roof of her house with panels, the council told her to take them down, but she fought them and won. This has set a precedent, so it is extremely unlikely any council would seek to enforce planning rules on solar panels on private houses now

So my next bit of advice: install as many panels as you can. Panels are cheap and when the lads are on your roof, installing a few extra panels does not take much extra time

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Also as you mentioned dormer, remember that hard shade over part of a panel kills the output of all panels on that string. So try to place the panels in such a way that they aren't shaded at any time of the day or year. If that's not possible get optimizers on the panels likely to get shaded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement