Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

There was wall insulation and a stove done after the ber by the previous owner. I reckoned a 2.2 kW pv on a 161msq house would bring me to c. Could be wrong.

The big increase for me was improving the fabric the building. If I had done the PV before the fabric improvements I wouldn't realise the full potential of the PV.

Got rid of the open fire as well and installed triple glazed front and back doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

garo wrote: »
    So take your array size and multiple by 1.47. So my 4.8kW array goes to 7000kWh. Now divide this by floor area and that gives you the improvement in BER. So if you had a 100 sq. m. house your BER would improve by 70. If it was a 200 Sq. m house it would improve by 35. That will tell you what your new rating would be with just the BER into account. You could always ask for a pre-install inspection to make sure you would hit the C3 with panels included. I had to give the exact panel model number. And Eddi/battery has no impact on BER.

2200*1.47/161 = ~20 kWh/m2 so definitely not enough to get you from D2 to C3 by itself.

The pre install assessment was my plan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

garo wrote: »
    Well then. That late 60s has had a lot of work done so. THat's a different matter if you have proof of insulation U-values etc. On a standard build with no work done it can be a finger in the air thing to get U-values for walls etc. They don't do a airflow test so you don't know how much heat you lose via air leaks. And they sure don't measure U values for windows and walls.

Yes, well I think yes, I've had the cavity wall insulated, all external walls downstairs have 50mm insulated plaster slabs, various windows at various times with most recent windows on north facing aspect being treble glazed, floor removed and 12in insulated slabs put down, 1.8w LEDs all downstairs, energy saving bulbs remainder of house, multi fuel stove in chimney #1, chimney #2 and 3 closed off, oil burner replaced earlier this year, window openings on north facing aspect all reduced when putting the treble glazed windows in.
    I had some receipts, lots of photos from when I was doing the work and the odd bit of visual evidence e.g. cavity insulation "leak".
    Basically I can heat the house with a tiny fire, with nights at 6-7degrees or less a third of a bucket of coal and the house is toasty, also if all the doors are open during the day the house naturally heats up very quickly when they are closed...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Yes, well I think yes, I've had the cavity wall insulated, all external walls downstairs have 50mm insulated plaster slabs, various windows at various times with most recent windows on north facing aspect being treble glazed, floor removed and 12in insulated slabs put down, 1.8w LEDs all downstairs, energy saving bulbs remainder of house, multi fuel stove in chimney #1, chimney #2 and 3 closed off, oil burner replaced earlier this year, window openings on north facing aspect all reduced when putting the treble glazed windows in.
    I had some receipts, lots of photos from when I was doing the work and the odd bit of visual evidence e.g. cavity insulation "leak".
    Basically I can heat the house with a tiny fire, with nights at 6-7degrees or less a third of a bucket of coal and the house is toasty, also if all the doors are open during the day the house naturally heats up very quickly when they are closed...
    Did you install the insulated plasterboard? Do you have a receipt? My BER assessor did not include it as there was no documentation confirming its presence, dispite me asking him to remove socket covers on the 4 ext walls. SEAI would have accepted pictures. We've gone off the topic a bit, apologies.

Only received my new BER last week and have to get another one after PV is installed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yes, I installed the insulated plasterboards, no receipts but I was able to show him two open sections where I had CAT6 and HDMI cabling protruding, he was able to get a measuring tape in to gauge the depth and I held the tape in as he took photo... sounds like lazy BER guy you had perhaps

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I'd love to get some of that work done that you describe slave1. After CoVid and when I have a bit more funds - as you know a big purchase has left me poor this year :D - hoping to get some of that work done. Might PM you in a year's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Rzeznik

I had 2,48kWp installed in Jul. My BER after this changed from 160,35kWh/m2/yr (C1) to 125.22kWh/m2/yr (B3 - B2 is under 125... ).
    3 bed - end of terrace, 115sqm . No other work done in between the BERs.

My BER was included in the deal, so no extra cost (happy days ;) )

slave1 wrote: »
    Yes, I installed the insulated plasterboards, no receipts but I was able to show him two open sections where I had CAT6 and HDMI cabling protruding, he was able to get a measuring tape in to gauge the depth and I held the tape in as he took photo... sounds like lazy BER guy you had perhaps

SEAI will require photographic evidence of the insulated slab on all sides of the building. Not hard to get. If you don't have documentary evidence of the u-value or conductivity of the slab a default will be used. Basically its the worst case conductivity but it is better than not including it. This should all be going in the BER thread but it is kinda relevant in obtaining the min C rating for the solar grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭idc

Anyone else see company offering solar pv system for a euro! You pay your normal electric supplier as usual for grid use but also the pv company bill you for your solar pv usage at 14.5c per kWh ex VAT. Agreement is for 21 years before you can buy the system for 100 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Rzeznik

idc wrote: »
    Anyone else see company offering solar pv system for a euro! You pay your normal electric supplier as usual for grid use but also the pv company bill you for your solar pv usage at 14.5c per kWh ex VAT. Agreement is for 21 years before you can buy the system for 100 euro.

Nope, but sounds like a bad deal :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Folks, just looking for advice on what to look for when getting quotes.

4 bed detached house in west of Ireland, 230 sq m. Rear roof SE facing, and shed roof SW facing. Could get 2 arrays if that is advisable. Current electiricy usage approx. 4,800kWh/year (possibly lower as both working from home last 7 months).

Oil central heating/hot water and a solid fuel stove which also heats water, but is only used in winter. Turf supply is essentially free, just a bit of labour. No EV and probably not planned for a long time.

Any suggestions on size of installation to look at, and whether a hot water diverter is advised? Any other considerations? Long term we may end up with no one working from home, so daytime usage may decrease again - any ideas when a FIT may be coming?

Also, any recommendations for companies in Galway area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Zzippy wrote: »
    Folks, just looking for advice on what to look for when getting quotes.

4 bed detached house in west of Ireland, 230 sq m. Rear roof SE facing, and shed roof SW facing. Could get 2 arrays if that is advisable. Current electiricy usage approx. 4,800kWh/year (possibly lower as both working from home last 7 months).

Oil central heating/hot water and a solid fuel stove which also heats water, but is only used in winter. Turf supply is essentially free, just a bit of labour. No EV and probably not planned for a long time.

Any suggestions on size of installation to look at, and whether a hot water diverter is advised? Any other considerations? Long term we may end up with no one working from home, so daytime usage may decrease again - any ideas when a FIT may be coming?

Also, any recommendations for companies in Galway area?

I have a diverter for the reason you give above. I don't want to spark up oil burner to heat water during the summer - find the diverter excellent way to have hot water during the warmer months. On the odd day I've had a bit of solar heated water during the day I've also found it gives the boiler a kickstart heating the rads.

I'll PM you a supplier recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Finally got round to ordering PV:

12 PANELS 340 WATT 4.2KW (JA Solar)

3.6 SOLIS INVERTER

4.8 PYLON TEC.BATTERY

WATER DIVERTER I Boost

WIFI DONGLE

Installation of car charger with solar integration (supplied by me)

Working out at €6.5k net of grant

bf wrote: »

3.6 SOLIS INVERTER

4.8 PYLON TEC.BATTERY

WATER DIVERTER I Boost

WIFI DONGLE

Is that the full 3k grant you're getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alesironi

Hi everyone

still me (second question in few days) trying to understand PV options.

I got an offer from a company (won't mention) which is very interesting from a budget point of view, for a minimum monthly fee fixed for 10 years (20 euro including grant) will get a 2.1KW PV install, no iboost no battery storage.
    For those 10 years they will maintain the system (i.e. if I want to do any modification they will need to make it), but at the same time they told me I own the system from the beginning. THey call this Solar as a Service.

Anyone with experience on this? Pro/cons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

3.6 SOLIS INVERTER

4.8 PYLON TEC.BATTERY

WATER DIVERTER I Boost

WIFI DONGLE

Ask for the 5KW inverter, bigger the better IMO. For the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

alesironi wrote: »
    Hi everyone

still me (second question in few days) trying to understand PV options.

I got an offer from a company (won't mention) which is very interesting from a budget point of view, for a minimum monthly fee fixed for 10 years (20 euro including grant) will get a 2.1KW PV install, no iboost no battery storage.
    For those 10 years they will maintain the system (i.e. if I want to do any modification they will need to make it), but at the same time they told me I own the system from the beginning. THey call this Solar as a Service.

Anyone with experience on this? Pro/cons?

Several here have gone with them. Try get better off him. He can throw in another panel.
    Its a no brainer.
    You need to get a C rating for the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

MAULBROOK wrote: »

Got the zappi 2 included for similar price

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alesironi

Several here have gone with them. Try get better off him. He can throw in another panel.
    Its a no brainer.
    You need to get a C rating for the grant.

THanks for the answer. Question is do you actually own the panel or lease them? The company I asked they told me I own them but in the terms and conditions on their website they say they own them. They have the cheapest option I found so far and they offer payment in 10 years with (apparently) with no interest, fixed fee. the fee they call it "Service", not repyment. Do not understand the pro/cons and the benefit for the company doing this if I actually own the panels?

alesironi wrote: »
    THanks for the answer. Question is do you actually own the panel or lease them? The company I asked they told me I own them but in the terms and conditions on their website they say they own them. They have the cheapest option I found so far and they offer payment in 10 years with (apparently) with no interest, fixed fee. the fee they call it "Service", not repyment. Do not understand the pro/cons and the benefit for the company doing this if I actually own the panels?

I'd always default to the thought that if something sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Having read through the T&C's I'd run a mile. For starters, it looks to me that they are advancing credit without having a license to do so, I'd guess they might be in breach of laws around acting as a credit intermediary - but that's just my opinion - I'm no expert on financial things like that!

Scariest part is reading about what happens in the event of failures. Any failures where they deem they can't see a reason are considered to be client damage. So essentially they have the right to come out and say it was the client that damaged it and has to pay for the repairs - just slightly one sided.

Plus, they then can charge very high fees to repair it with no limits on the time span it should take, plus they don't specify how the cost of any parts is calculated. They could theoretically charge €500 a panel if any get broken.

Sorry, for me it's the type of contract that no business would sign, in my opinion, they are hoping that ordinary punters are gullible and will sign this and they then will make money on the replacement parts and labour costs doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Deagol wrote: »
    I'd always default to the thought that if something sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Having read through the T&C's I'd run a mile. For starters, it looks to me that they are advancing credit without having a license to do so, I'd guess they might be in breach of laws around acting as a credit intermediary - but that's just my opinion - I'm no expert on financial things like that!

Scariest part is reading about what happens in the event of failures. Any failures where they deem they can't see a reason are considered to be client damage. So essentially they have the right to come out and say it was the client that damaged it and has to pay for the repairs - just slightly one sided.

Plus, they then can charge very high fees to repair it with no limits on the time span it should take, plus they don't specify how the cost of any parts is calculated. They could theoretically charge €500 a panel if any get broken.

Sorry, for me it's the type of contract that no business would sign, in my opinion, they are hoping that ordinary punters are gullible and will sign this and they then will make money on the replacement parts and labour costs doing so.

They aren't providing finance, per se they are charging per month for the use of the equipment. If you stopped paying, it would still be their equipment. At the end of the term, the language is your are free to continue using the equipment or to dispose of it.

Also, your scariest part isn't the wording that is used in the contract I have at all.

Alkers wrote: »
    They aren't providing finance, per se they are charging per month for the use of the equipment. If you stopped paying, it would still be their equipment. At the end of the term, the language is your are free to continue using the equipment or to dispose of it.

Also, your scariest part isn't the wording that is used in the contract I have at all.

I've read a copy of the The contract and it says you accept the T&C's.

It's up to you, but under no circumstances would I sign a contract that binds you to open ended pricing from a single supplier. I'd strongly urge you to get a solicitor to look at those T&C's before signing. That's just my opinion - maybe I'm too risk adverse but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I've read a copy of the The contract and it says you accept the T&C's.

It's up to you, but under no circumstances would I sign a contract that binds you to open ended pricing from a single supplier. I'd strongly urge you to get a solicitor to look at those T&C's before signing. That's just my opinion - maybe I'm too risk adverse but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Again, different wording to the contract I saw.
    I don't see anything in in relation to open ended pricing, the document I have is quite clear than any issues or servicing are addressed by the company.
    Also, I would have thought you would be in a fairly strong position, if they change pricing or whatever you're worried about, you have the equipment on your roof and in your house...

I don't see anything in in relation to open ended pricing, the document I have is quite clear than any issues or servicing are addressed by the company.
    Also, I would have thought you would be in a fairly strong position, if they change pricing or whatever you're worried about, you have the equipment on your roof and in your house...

I might add that you can from day one, pay off the 2,400e which is significantly less than most other companies are offering and then you're free to do whatever you like with the panels. If the situation your worried about happens, you could pay off the remaining amount and you're in the same boat as of you had gone with another company

Caveat Emptor...

Is that the full 3k grant you're getting?

Yes it is

MAULBROOK wrote: »

Will ask - cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭championc

I might add that you can from day one, pay off the 2,400e which is significantly less than most other companies are offering and then you're free to do whatever you like with the panels. If the situation your worried about happens, you could pay off the remaining amount and you're in the same boat as of you had gone with another company

That could be a good route for someone to get the NC6 submitted to the ESB and then allow a self install expansion ???

Yes it is

Not great quote then. I'm getting all of that except a 5kw inverter, a 4.8kw Puredrive battery (2x output capability over the Pylontech) but without the diverter for €7950 (without grant). If I was getting the €3k quote that'd be €4950 - big saving over your quote!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Not great quote then. I'm getting all of that except a 5kw inverter, a 4.8kw Puredrive battery (2x output capability over the Pylontech) but without the diverter for €7950 (without grant). If I was getting the €3k quote that'd be €4950 - big saving over your quote!

Is that from a SEAI registered PV installer Deagol? If so could you PM me the details please?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement