Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Deagol wrote: »
    Not great quote then. I'm getting all of that except a 5kw inverter, a 4.8kw Puredrive battery (2x output capability over the Pylontech) but without the diverter for €7950 (without grant). If I was getting the €3k quote that'd be €4950 - big saving over your quote!

Agreed, I got a much better price too. PM me if you want more info

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Caspero wrote: »
    Is that from a SEAI registered PV installer Deagol? If so could you PM me the details please?

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Deagol wrote: »
    PM Sent

Could you PM me as well please?

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    Could you PM me as well please?

PM Sent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

bf wrote: »
    Finally got round to ordering PV:

12 PANELS 340 WATT 4.2KW (JA Solar)

3.6 SOLIS INVERTER

4.8 PYLON TEC.BATTERY

WATER DIVERTER I Boost

WIFI DONGLE

Installation of car charger with solar integration (supplied by me)

Working out at €6.5k net of grant

By way of recent comparison, I got
    18 no Canadian Solar 410w PERC Poly panels
    1 BPE 5 KW Hybrid Dual MPPT inverter.
    1 no safety isolating fireman's switch to solar panels.
    All DC cabling and isolators.
    All AC cabling and isolators
    All protection devices required to inverter.
    1 Battery to inverter. Pylon tec 2.4 kw including mounting bracket.

Gross cost of €8,620, less grant of €3,000, net cost of €5,620
    Excellent job, really knowledgeable chap, well open to questions and all the work was really neat.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,832 ✭✭✭✭unkel

bf wrote: »
    Finally got round to ordering PV:

12 PANELS 340 WATT 4.2KW (JA Solar)

3.6 SOLIS INVERTER

4.8 PYLON TEC.BATTERY

WATER DIVERTER I Boost

WIFI DONGLE

Installation of car charger with solar integration (supplied by me)

Working out at €6.5k net of grant

You're getting the €600 grant for the car charge point, so your quote is more like €7.1k net for comparison to other PV quotes here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

slave1 wrote: »
    By way of recent comparison, I got
    18 no Canadian Solar 410w PERC Poly panels
    1 BPE 5 KW Hybrid Dual MPPT inverter.
    1 no safety isolating fireman's switch to solar panels.
    All DC cabling and isolators.
    All AC cabling and isolators
    All protection devices required to inverter.
    1 Battery to inverter. Pylon tec 2.4 kw including mounting bracket.

Gross cost of €8,620, less grant of €3,000, net cost of €5,620
    Excellent job, really knowledgeable chap, well open to questions and all the work was really neat.

Three points, his battery is twice the size, the installation of a car charger and an Iboost for hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Rzeznik

alesironi wrote: »
    THanks for the answer. Question is do you actually own the panel or lease them? The company I asked they told me I own them but in the terms and conditions on their website they say they own them. They have the cheapest option I found so far and they offer payment in 10 years with (apparently) with no interest, fixed fee. the fee they call it "Service", not repyment. Do not understand the pro/cons and the benefit for the company doing this if I actually own the panels?

For 10 years you are using the equipment for a service charge (so technically you are not an owner until you pay it in full and terminate the contract). After 10years, contract for the service is done and you using it for free after that.
    All warranties still holds after contract for service ends (panels 15 years on the product and 25year on the output), but you will have to deal with the issues yourself.
    You can terminate the contract and then it is up to you what you do with the system.

What is the benefit? Was thinking on this myself and in my opinion with this option of paying for the service over 10 years, it is way more accessible to people who can't spend 2,5k or more in one upfront payment. Also way easier to make a sell when it is budget neutral on a monthly basis.
    Above means more customers = more busines + steady stream of the revenue over 10 years (might be better tax wise?)

Think this is a quite well thought through business model.

I bought this system and so far had Harvi replaced twice and Eddie replaced once. Did not have to pay a dime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Sure but 3kW more panels and I would argue that is more useful than the additional battery.

Battery and diverter together? With 4,2kWp system?
    This does not sounds reasonable from financial point of view to me. Am I wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭idc

Rzeznik wrote: »
    I bought this system and so far had Harvi replaced twice and Eddie replaced once. Did not have to pay a dime.

How long have you had it? Doesn't give a good impression of myenergie products if you'd had so many replacements.

For 10 years you are using the equipment for a service charge (so technically you are not an owner until you pay it in full and terminate the contract). After 10years, contract for the service is done and you using it for free after that.
    All warranties still holds after contract for service ends (panels 15 years on the product and 25year on the output), but you will have to deal with the issues yourself.
    You can terminate the contract and then it is up to you what you do with the system.

What is the benefit? Was thinking on this myself and in my opinion with this option of paying for the service over 10 years, it is way more accessible to people who can't spend 2,5k or more in one upfront payment. Also way easier to make a sell when it is budget neutral on a monthly basis.
    Above means more customers = more busines + steady stream of the revenue over 10 years (might be better tax wise?)

What happens if you sell your house in year 5 for example. Where dose the new owner stand or yourself for that matter.

idc wrote: »
    How long have you had it? Doesn't give a good impression of myenergie products if you'd had so many replacements.

Have it since Jul this year.
    Had one power surge/cut on the estate in Aug after which Harvi started to behave strange and died soon after, Eddi colapsed a week or two later.

The other Harvi died in Oct.

Maybe I am just unlucky, who knows. :D We have a few power cuts in a year in the estate, different time of day and night. Maybe the equipment does not like it.
    I did not read much complaints on quality of these products in here and I think they are quite popular?

First Harvi and Eddie replaced in 3-4 days (dealt with by the installer). Second Harvi took a bit longer as I had to order the replacement myself from myenergi. But no cost to me.

On the good side: I quite like the app and now there is web service as well ;)
    MAULBROOK wrote: »
    What happens if you sell your house in year 5 for example. Where dose the new owner stand or yourself for that matter.

I have to repay in full and then terminate before the sell, or new owner take over the contract.

Battery and diverter together? With 4,2kWp system?
    This does not sounds reasonable from financial point of view to me. Am I wrong?

I've a slightly larger system but realise now eddi is not much use in October and onwards into winter. At one point I turned it off completely. Looking at my export figures most days in October was 0.5kWh or less. In November I never have surplus after charging battery. Its the one item if I was doing this again I would not get

I've a slightly larger system but realise now eddi is not much use in October and onwards into winter. At one point I turned it off completely. Looking at my export figures most days in October was 0.5kWh or less. In November I never have surplus after charging battery. Its the one item if I was doing this again I would not get

I have started to charge the battery at night and im finding the 7kw battery more than lasts the day and with some solar input, the edie heats some water.
    doing this for the last few week and i have only used 5kw of day time rate

Exactly. No point in installing both with such small system. I have Eddie with my 2,48 and after installation, seeing generation and usage patterns, it will probably never pay for itself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

unkel wrote: »
    You're getting the €600 grant for the car charge point, so your quote is more like €7.1k net for comparison to other PV quotes here

No grant for car charger as it’s a company car

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alesironi

Thanks for the reply, it all makes sense but I read all terms and conditions and they are very complicated, but at the same time it's important to understand them.

FOr example, in case of technical issues, according to them, it's the company which decides if the issue is caused by a defect or by a client damage. If it's a defect you are covered, if it's a client damage you are not covered of course, but it's not clear who should fix it. If it's the company who should fix it they they may charge you fees that are above the market, depends only on them.
    Also Regarding early termination, the chapter is really complex, it's not only mentioning missing monthly payment but also other fees mentioned (termination paymnet that the client agrees to be fair estimation of company loss... what is it?). Need additional clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thanks for the reply, it all makes sense but I read all terms and conditions and they are very complicated, but at the same time it's important to understand them.

FOr example, in case of technical issues, according to them, it's the company which decides if the issue is caused by a defect or by a client damage. If it's a defect you are covered, if it's a client damage you are not covered of course, but it's not clear who should fix it. If it's the company who should fix it they they may charge you fees that are above the market, depends only on them.
    Also Regarding early termination, the chapter is really complex, it's not only mentioning missing monthly payment but also other fees mentioned (termination paymnet that the client agrees to be fair estimation of company loss... what is it?). Need additional clarification.

If its on a roof and you don't touch it, what's to go wrong from your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭championc

More likely that it was an issue with the Eddi but lack of installer knowledge diagnosing the issue I'm guessing led to Harvi replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 alesironi

If its on a roof and you don't touch it, what's to go wrong from your side.

For the company for sure nothing can be wrong, they decide if it's a defect :)

In all fairness, a company would somewhat need to protect themselves from someone messing with the system - maybe changing some parameters or adding extra panels or a shunt for monitoring,or whatever ........

The only thing I would like to see is clearly defined statement saying that the buyout value should simply be the money peeing.

In one sense, the company supplying it is taking a risk, in that if the leader stops paying for it, they cannot easily come and take the kit away.

Surely the cost is in some way index linked ? Would you really still be paying 20 every month in 9 years time ? Is it a standing order pushed from you to them,or a direct debit pulled by them from you ? Direct Debits could easily be increased (like direct Debits for household utility bills). And surely there is a down payment - the installer would be out of pocket by quite a bit for quite a number of years, if only collecting 20 per month

championc wrote: »
    Surely the cost is in some way index linked ? Would you really still be paying 20 every month in 9 years time ? Is it a standing order pushed from you to them,or a direct debit pulled by them from you ? Direct Debits could easily be increased (like direct Debits for household utility bills). And surely there is a down payment - the installer would be out of pocket by quite a bit for quite a number of years, if only collecting 20 per month

Yes you would, at least that is what T&C of the contract state. For the agreed term - 120 months - you pay monthly a fixed amount which is listed in the contract through DD.
    There is no downpayment but remember about the grant. I assume most of the customers, unlike me, gives the grant away and settle for 20 euro per month.
    So 1,8k covers material + labour for this basic system and then you just book in the stream of revenue over the next 10 years.
    Not sure how it works for the bigger systems though.
    For the company for sure nothing can be wrong, they decide if it's a defect :)

Found this in T&C:
    Client Damage” means:
    a) wiring or other electrical issues, damage (including accidental damage or loss), negligence or misuse of the Work Product by the Client, including but not limited to the accumulation of dust and debris;
    (b) voltage limits for the Work Productbeing exceeded;
    (c) exposure (of the Work Product) to mechanical stresses and strains that are not in accordance with the intended use or manufacturer’s specifications;
    (d) electrical supply conditions, including supply spikes, over-voltage and ripple current control systems that are outside the specified limits of the Solar PV components and those defined by applicable supply standards;
    (e) alteration or repair of the Work Product(other than by or on behalf of the manufacturer or Company), including making any changes that impact on the Work Product in accordance with Schedule 2;
    (f)any action or inaction which is inconsistent with the manufacturers’ recommendations for maintenance or otherwise; or
    (g) failures or damage caused by events beyond the reasonable control of the Company and/or the Client (for example lightning strikes, windstorms, sandstorms, natural disasters, acts of war, terrorism, civil disobedience, riots, malicious mischief, vandalism, impacts, fire, prolonged submersion, acts of God or nature).

And for Termination fee, I just had a look and it is calculated as a sum of:
    1) any overdue payments you owe (plus interest)
    2) any future monthly payments you would normally pay under the 120 term less 3% of total outstanding payments.
    3) any extra cost linked to termination of the agreement (I do not see any under T&C)
    4) any taxes on the outstanding payments.

Gotcha, so they take the grant as payment for the system and have a revenue stream, per month, for the next 10 years. It's actually not a bad deal really, in that the grant is absolutely subsidizing the system.

Mind you, if it saved you an average of €10 per over the year, then over 10 years, the system would only cost €1200. However, it would only be at that point that it would start to pay for itself, so saving only €10 per month from year 10 onwards will take another 10 years to break even.

But overall, I'd say that it's more likely to save more than €10 per month. €10 per month is just 33c per day, which is maybe 2kWh - very achievable.

If I was starting out, I'd jump at it, but then, most likely, buy it out pretty quickly.

championc wrote: »
    Gotcha, so they take the grant as payment for the system and have a revenue stream, per month, for the next 10 years. It's actually not a bad deal really, in that the grant is absolutely subsidizing the system.

Mind you, if it saved you an average of €10 per over the year, then over 10 years, the system would only cost €1200. However, it would only be at that point that it would start to pay for itself, so saving only €10 per month from year 10 onwards will take another 10 years to break even.

But overall, I'd say that it's more likely to save more than €10 per month. €10 per month is just 33c per day, which is maybe 2kWh - very achievable.

If I was starting out, I'd jump at it, but then, most likely, buy it out pretty quickly.

Yeah financially it made sense to me.
    €20 over 10 years is 2400 but if you include time value of money (I used 3% for inflation) then you have ~€2050 for the whole system after grant. I also got extra panel for free so ended up with 2,48kWh.
    Looking at my generation, €10pm should be easy to achieve (esp south facing - I am west) even on 2,17kWp(which is what they were selling in Jul).
    Since mid Jul I generated 730kWh and used 630kWh.
    I forecast 1850 generated and 1600 used for the year out of which 35% will be diverted to hot water. (have it as well - long story ;)) My calc gives me around €180-190 saving per year not including any price increases for the energy. Without a diverter it would be around €140-150 a year.

This will be even better financial wise if/when the FIT are introduced, especcialy if you get both, grant and then FIT ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Yeah financially it made sense to me.
    €20 over 10 years is 2400 but if you include time value of money (I used 3% for inflation) then you have ~€2050 for the whole system after grant. I also got extra panel for free so ended up with 2,48kWh.
    Looking at my generation, €10pm should be easy to achieve (esp south facing - I am west) even on 2,17kWp(which is what they were selling in Jul).
    Since mid Jul I generated 730kWh and used 630kWh.
    I forecast 1850 generated and 1600 used for the year out of which 35% will be diverted to hot water. (have it as well - long story ;)) My calc gives me around €180-190 saving per year not including any price increases for the energy. Without a diverter it would be around €140-150 a year.

This will be even better financial wise if/when the FIT are introduced, especcialy if you get both, grant and then FIT ;)

Those figures aren't to be sniffs at. All the system is costing you is 90 a year. And its paid off in 12 to 26 years. Not too far beyond your final payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    I have started to charge the battery at night and im finding the 7kw battery more than lasts the day and with some solar input, the edie heats some water.
    doing this for the last few week and i have only used 5kw of day time rate

That does not make financial sense. You are putting in 8c night rate electricity in the battery that has at best 80% inverter+battery efficiency so costing you 10c (not including any battery wear) so that you can use the Eddi to heat water which would normally cost you 5c to heat on gas (or 8c on night rate immersion). Wouldn't you be better off charging the battery to 80% and letting any excess go to the battery rather than the Eddi?

Just curious am I crazy to not use day/night meter and partially fill my battery during the winter? Use about 11 to 14 kWh total a day. Of that between 2.5 and 4 is during night rate period. Have a 5.7kWh battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Well got my grant paid out today, only just over two weeks after forms uploaded by installer. Changed to under review last week on the seai website and payment pending on Friday. Received payment made email this morning.

Now to get my monthly payment reduced to 19.99 :-)

• Advertisement

Those figures aren't to be sniffs at. All the system is costing you is 90 a year. And its paid off in 12 to 26 years. Not too far beyond your final payment.

I can't say too much but I'm involved in how selling things as a service works and you guys are not taking into account how it can be deeply profitable. The 'service' word is the key one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement