Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

batmanzed wrote: »
    could I please ask for pms from Dr Phil

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Hope to get a system installed in the next few weeks. Just wanted to check is there a need for a direct LAN link to broadband router to the system or does wifi work ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Hope to get a system installed in the next few weeks. Just wanted to check is there a need for a direct LAN link to broadband router to the system or does wifi work ok?

Most inverters have a wi-fi link, although some are an extra. For instance the Solis inverter I bought last week has a wi-fi module for an extra 45€

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭championc

All Sofar kit includes the wifi connection and all data is uploaded to the Solarmanpv.com portal, and is available via the app.

Most Inverters will have an RS485 port, if you wanted to capture the data locally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

championc wrote: »
    All Sofar kit includes the wifi connection and all data is uploaded to the Solarmanpv.com portal, and is available via the app.

Most Inverters will have an RS485 port, if you wanted to capture the data locally

I'm using an RS485-LoRa wireless converter system to pass information from the CT clamp to the Solis hybrid - saves running a CAT5 cable from your consumer unit to your inverter if they are in different rooms / buildings. Not sure what the cost of it was though as it was part of the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Deagol wrote: »
    I'm using an RS485-LoRa wireless converter system to pass information from the CT clamp to the Solis hybrid - saves running a CAT5 cable from your consumer unit to your inverter if they are in different rooms / buildings. Not sure what the cost of it was though as it was part of the system.

This type of thing

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32897646535.html?_randl_currency=EUR&_randl_shipto=IE&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&&albagn=888888&albcp=11491598104&albag=115199750874&trgt=299423776478&crea=en32897646535&netw=u&device=m&albpg=299423776478&albpd=en32897646535&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_rW3zILC7QIVkcLtCh1adwz3EAQYBSABEgIOu_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Cool could you put a photo of it up? Didn't think the solis talked to the ct via a serial link, just thought it was taking the raw analog voltage from the CT.

Unless the box does adc and dac on both ends but very cool, makes sense to have wireless versions

graememk wrote: »
    Cool could you put a photo of it up? Didn't think the solis talked to the ct via a serial link, just thought it was taking the raw analog voltage from the CT.

Unless the box does adc and dac on both ends but very cool, makes sense to have wireless versions

Looks like it must be ADC, this is unit attached at CT end.

Though I don’t know what the CT looks like, it may not be standard one? Want me remove consumers unit cover?

Looks like it must be ADC, this is unit attached at CT end.

Though I don’t know what the CT looks like, it may not be standard one? Want me remove consumers unit cover?

Don't worry about the ct I have one on my desk, it's the adc I'm more interested in.

Had thought of building one myself using an arduino but it's easier to run a cat6 cable. Thanks for the photo

Edit: At PC now and can look closer, its just a wireless serial device, doesnt look like its doing anything fancy...

Maybe the CT's are serially connected.. Unless someone can shed any light on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So, 18 days after submission and Grant Payment approval received today, happy days.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭citizen6

Looking at a ground-mounted system. Two decisions to make.

1) One (5.7kW) battery or two? I'd be looking to force-charge at night rate in winter. I reckon it will be 5 years before I get an EV. Second battery is an extra €1,750.
    2) 4.7kWp (12 panel), 5.5kWp (14 panel) or 6.2kWp (16 panel) system? Max on inverter is 5kWp but I'm assume the extra panels will be beneficial outside of peak times.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Mr Q

citizen6 wrote: »

1) One (5.7kW) battery or two? I'd be looking to force-charge at night rate in winter. I reckon it will be 5 years before I get an EV. Second battery is an extra €1,750.
    2) 4.7kWp (12 panel), 5.5kWp (14 panel) or 6.2kWp (16 panel) system? Max on inverter is 5kWp but I'm assume the extra panels will be beneficial outside of peak times.

Any thoughts?

Are the panels the larger type to have that power for the quantity? Go for as many as you can.

Are you buying the ground mount or making some of it. 16 panels in size seems to be common with the off the shelf options but they are limited on the physical size of each panel in some cases

Any thoughts?

Yeah go for as many panels as you can. The inverter is more like 5kw output not panel capacity.

Worst case is that on a perfect day you'll have a flat top on the curve but will generate more on the less perfect days.

I'm actually planning a 8kwp system but on a low slope ne/sw aspect with 12 panels on each string, on a 6kw inverter.

I know might top out at midday in the summer but I'm ok with that,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Any thoughts?

6.2kWp (16 panel) system)

Panels Panels and more Panels

"Are you buying the ground mount or making some of it."

Installer is providing all the equipment, I just look after concrete base and ducting to the house.

Any advice on whether the second battery is worthwhile? I suppose if I go with the 16 panel system is makes sense to up the battery capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,827 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Worthwhile in what way? Financially it will never pay for itself going from 5kWh (with a huge subsidy courtesy of the tax payer) to 10kWh adding the second battery from your own money. Worthwhile in the way that you could be a lot greener? A lot less dependent on the grid? Give you a better feeling of being more autonomous? It's a bit of a hobby now for you? Only you can answer those questions

Personally I am considering replacing my current (just under 5kWh) powerwall (not a cent subsidy got for it) with a 10kWh powerwall by next spring :D

Any advice on whether the second battery is worthwhile? I suppose if I go with the 16 panel system is makes sense to up the battery capacity.

Financially it makes no sense as it will never pay for itself. Do you have a large hot water tank with electric immersion heaters? Maybe consider a diverter for that excess?

Financially it makes no sense as it will never pay for itself. Do you have a large hot water tank with electric immersion heaters? Maybe consider a diverter for that excess?

Even the diverters don't pay for themselves compared to gas/oil

There is a handiness factor but it's hard to put a price on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Stuart123

Looking for some advice on a new system to be fitted.

We have a few different pitches on the roof so they can be mounted east, west, south to vary the harvesting during the day.

Usually there is someone home during the day and there are quite a few appliances running due to having 4 kids - dishwasher, dryer, washing machine etc. Average consumption would be over 15-20kwh per day

Have a nissan leaf although I tend to cycle most of the time so the car gets charged only once a week on average (36k Km on it over 6 years).

The house has 3 phase electricity - does this make a difference to the setup?

Budget can be up to 10k after the grant.

Would appreciate advice regarding a future proof system including if possible who you recommend getting quotes from - I'm based in Dublin.

I don't mind if we have to wait to get planning permission and a battery would be useful for storage of evening electricity if it makes sense in terms of payback.

We have a standard immeresion tank which tends to get used most days for someone showering.

Thanks for your opinions.

To put it into numbers, a battery module is maybe 2.4kW. So that's basically 2 units of electricity, so maybe 30c (2 x 15c) if you are on a day / night tariff and discharge this power during the day rate time. If you discharged at night, you will only save 15c. So you will save yourself aprox 100€ per year.

But it can be down to your consumption too during the afternoon. If you have a high base load, then you are more likely to use that stored power during day rate hours. But it more just guarantees your 100€ a year savings.

A battery unit will have a lifespan of about 20 years.

Like Unkel, I already have 10kW of battery storage, free from any subsidy, for about €1500. So mine will pay for itself. But some people are nearly paying this for one 2.4kW Pylontech unit !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭AnswerIs42

10kW of battery storage, free from any subsidy, for about €1500. So mine will pay for itself. But some people are nearly paying this for one 2.4kW Pylontech unit !!!

How did you manage that? Yeah, the quotes for the smallest batteries are not cheap even with the grant.

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    How did you manage that? Yeah, the quotes for the smallest batteries are not cheap even with the grant.

CALB LiFePO4 3.2v 200ah from AliExpress - €1259 delivered to your door via UPS and all customs cleared.

Link - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001083766967.html - or €1242 with coupons !!!

536025.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Stuart123 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice on a new system to be fitted.

We have a few different pitches on the roof so they can be mounted east, west, south to vary the harvesting during the day.

Usually there is someone home during the day and there are quite a few appliances running due to having 4 kids - dishwasher, dryer, washing machine etc. Average consumption would be over 15-20kwh per day

Have a nissan leaf although I tend to cycle most of the time so the car gets charged only once a week on average (36k Km on it over 6 years).

The house has 3 phase electricity - does this make a difference to the setup?

Budget can be up to 10k after the grant.

Would appreciate advice regarding a future proof system including if possible who you recommend getting quotes from - I'm based in Dublin.

I don't mind if we have to wait to get planning permission and a battery would be useful for storage of evening electricity if it makes sense in terms of payback.

We have a standard immeresion tank which tends to get used most days for someone showering.

Thanks for your opinions.

With that budget and 3 phase you will have a system that many of us here would envy.
    The inverter can be up to 11kw and fit as many panels as you can.
    Don't worry about Planning on less your neighbours are waxkers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    With that budget and 3 phase you will have a system that many of us here would envy.
    The inverter can be up to 11kw and fit as many panels as you can.
    Don't worry about Planning on less your neighbours are waxkers

What is the advantage of 3 phase?

CALB LiFePO4 3.2v 200ah from AliExpress - €1259 delivered to your door via UPS and all customs cleared.

Link - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001083766967.html - or €1242 with coupons !!!

536025.jpeg

This is very interesting- I assume there is more to self install these than connecting to the correct hybrid inverter terminals? I can test to make sure they are good connect them up together and connect to inverter... is my thinking too basic? What charge discharge rates do you get?

This is very interesting- I assume there is more to self install these than connecting to the correct hybrid inverter terminals? I can test to make sure they are good connect them up together and connect to inverter... is my thinking too basic? What charge discharge rates do you get?

No, you are spot on, it's that simple

Link all the batteries in series - positive cable off one end and the negative off the other into the inverter positive and negative.

Ideally then install a BMS - which is simply connecting a thin wire to the positive terminal of all 16 batteries, with the main cables in line on the negative to inverter cable.

You should add a DC fuse, which can also serve as a disconnect.

So basically a decent afternoons work

No, you are spot on, it's that simple

Link all the batteries in series - positive cable off one end and the negative off the other into the inverter positive and negative.

Ideally then install a BMS - which is simply connecting a thin wire to the positive terminal of all 16 batteries, with the main cables in line on the negative to inverter cable.

You should add a DC fuse, which can also serve as a disconnect.

So basically a decent afternoons work

Thank you I think I like the idea as no system in yet
    I may get an install of a small battery just to get grant element but will certainly look at this at that price

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Worthwhile in what way? Financially it will never pay for itself going from 5kWh (with a huge subsidy courtesy of the tax payer) to 10kWh adding the second battery from your own money. Worthwhile in the way that you could be a lot greener? A lot less dependent on the grid? Give you a better feeling of being more autonomous? It's a bit of a hobby now for you? Only you can answer those questions

Personally I am considering replacing my current (just under 5kWh) powerwall (not a cent subsidy got for it) with a 10kWh powerwall by next spring :D

Thanks all for the input. By the sounds of it, the second battery won't pay for itself anytime soon but I need to decide if it's a purely financial decision or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement