Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The Sicillian lemonade... Just a bit too sweet for me and missing the tang. But otherwise not bad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I picked up a pack of their sauteed potatoes with bacon. They're vacuum packed. You heat them in the microwave for one minute and then saute them in a little oil on a medium heat in a pan. The result is lovely tender crispy German potatoes like you get at a Christmas market with a bratwurst.

I picked up a pack of their sauteed potatoes with bacon. They're vacuum packed. You heat them in the microwave for one minute and then saute them in a little oil on a medium heat in a pan. The result is lovely tender crispy German potatoes like you get at a Christmas market with a bratwurst.

I buy them all the time, really handy!

There is also a herbed oil version which i haven't yet tried.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I buy them all the time, really handy!

There is also a herbed oil version which i haven't yet tried.

How have i never spotted these, top of the list next time, thank you both!.

The Vietnamese hot and sour soup is a delicious broth..

There are veggies and tofu there too, but i think removing those would give a delicious broth base for other meals.

Really recommend this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Heinz Turkish Garlic sauce is back for €1.50, pallets of the stuff in there so it must be popular, although you could have had it for that price in Tesco and others all along aswell, it really is the king of non-homemade garlic sauces, I use it with about 50% normal mayo to make the tuna for my tuna melt ciabattas and tuna salads aswell as on chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They have 6 garlic and coriander naan breads in a vacuum pack over with the bread aswell, they're small so Id have 3 at a time per curry. You can throw them in an airfryer and they're freshly toasted in about 5-6 minutes, you can also toast them straight from frozen, nicest non-restaurant naans you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

There are veggies and tofu there too, but i think removing those would give a delicious broth base for other meals.

Really recommend this.

Where in store is the broth found please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Where in store is the broth found please?

In the specials section. By the milk fridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Has anyone tried the coffee beans Bellarom?
    http://offers.kd2.org/en/ie/lidl/peVUh/

3 different flavours, Zambian, Colombia, Ethiopia.

Which is nicest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

I'm no coffee expert, but I believe that they're the nicest of all of the supermarket beans (and probably the cheapest).

I've tried all three and don't have a stand out favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Really recommend this.

Following your recommendation I added a few tubs to our weekly shop and used them all up already making a spin on pho and some dumpling soup. A really nice and quick base. I'll pick a few more up if they're left next week.

Marzipan logs also devoured! Any coeliacs or family of coeliacs out there, I heartily recommend both the Favorina GF Pandoro and Pannetone in the Christmas specials. Almost half the price of a brand name equivalent but still excellent! My coeliac Italian wife really loved both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Esse85 wrote: »

Which is nicest?

Ethiopia gives the best crema and body for me (Gaggia Baby machine)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Picked up the deluxe Xmas sourdough cod bites - very, very pricey at €4 for 210g though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Can I buy Maxelle alkaline batteries in Lidl? Or what type of battery packs do they sell in Lidl? I got Halloween lights from lidl with the above batteries included and they are really good, just wondering r they on sale in packs?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fin12 wrote: »
    Can I buy Maxelle alkaline batteries in Lidl? Or what type of battery packs do they sell in Lidl? I got Halloween lights from lidl with the above batteries included and they are really good, just wondering r they on sale in packs?

if they are AA batteries these Ikea ones are meant to be amazing value.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/ladda-rechargeable-battery-70303876/

on various geeky forums they reckon they are actually rebranded high end panasonic eneloop batteries, which are extremely good.

The ikeas are not cheap at 7euro for 4 but the panasonics would be a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

rubadub wrote: »
    if they are AA batteries these Ikea ones are meant to be amazing value.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/ladda-rechargeable-battery-70303876/

on various geeky forums they reckon they are actually rebranded high end panasonic eneloop batteries, which are extremely good.

The ikeas are not cheap at 7euro for 4 but the panasonics would be a lot more.

The theory is that they are made as Eneloops but "just" fall short on testing in the factory. They are still better than most other expensive branded rechargeables.
    Either way, brilliant battery that are well worth the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

.red. wrote: »
    The theory is that they are made as Eneloops but "just" fall short on testing in the factory. They are still better than most other expensive branded rechargeables.
    Either way, brilliant battery that are well worth the price.

Going off topic but it may be of interest. I got a good supply of the Ikea batteries and the matching charger. And a good supply of these battery converters from China. No need to buy AA or D batteries ever again. Rechargeable D batteries are very expensive. There is another version of this converter for C batteries.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pcs-3AA-to-D-Size-Parallel-Battery-Converter-Adapter-Holder-Switcher-Case-Box/402312542350?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225076%26meid%3D35683306be5f4d49b02f3bd19553ef7f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dco%26sd%3D184070833461%26itm%3D402312542350%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV4BBEV2bLowerCap%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

• Registered Users Posts: 34,129 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They weren't asking about rechargeables.

Lidl only sell Aerocell, which are crap.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭positron

Esse85 wrote: »

Which is nicest?

As a basic coffee drinker who doesn't know much about coffee, Ethiopia works well and tastes nice with my simple manual grinder + french press set up.

• Advertisement

Having a glass of red wine...

South African pinotage.

€5.59 14%

Im really liking this, to be honest much more so than the two €7+ wines recently discussed on the Aldi thread.

Very rich and nice structure, not overly sweet.

Can't post a pic because the postimg site is down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Currently eating a bit of the fin Carré milk chocolate fruit and nut. It's lovely. Tastes great for such a cheap bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Are the beer battered onion rings available in Lidl at the moment, couldnt find them the last couple of visits

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Are the beer battered onion rings available in Lidl at the moment, couldnt find them the last couple of visits
    I got some a while back, and won't be getting them again - they tasted bitter and sour, like old/stale oil had been used on them.

Very unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Yep they are still available. Have been buying them regularly for about a couple of months now.

Cant say i have had that experience with them - they are a big hit in our house - no bitterness or sourness detected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Has anyone seen the 85% JD Gross bars lately? Even since they got the new Fair Trade 70% range in, it has disappeared and it's lovely! Nicer than the Aldi 85% imo.

Hoping it might just be a stock / seasonal issue though the shelf tag is gone :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Has anyone seen the 85% JD Gross bars lately? Even since they got the new Fair Trade 70% range in, it has disappeared and it's lovely! Nicer than the Aldi 85% imo.

Hoping it might just be a stock / seasonal issue though the shelf tag is gone :-(

The 70 and 85% JD Gross bars had disappeared from my local store lately. Checked Portlaoise on Saturday and no joy but they were both back in the Ballycullen store this morning thankfully! I thought they had gotten rid of them when the fair-trade stuff came in.

I came across this page with updated dates of when middle isle products will now be on sale in store.

https://www.lidl.ie/information/product-updates

Anyone seen snowy the husky teddy in store?

husky920x920.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Me in Lidl last Thursday

Do you have the Lidl app? Nope
    Do you want a leaflet about it? No thanks
    Do you want to be entered in the trolley dash? Yes please
    Ok your total is xx. Thanks im paying by card
    Do you want the receipt? Yes please

Given receipt and entry for trolley dash.
    Get home and discover the trolley dash entry is a ticket that cost me a euro, im fuming.

Advertisement