Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

How are the wines in Lidl? I’ve just moved to an area with one. I’m particularly partial to Rioja, Malbec and Sauvignon blanc if anyone has particular recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I know someone who's dad is a wine importer and, over a glass or two at my friends birthday, he told us that the Lidl wines were actually quite good on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Faith wrote: »
    How are the wines in Lidl? I’ve just moved to an area with one. I’m particularly partial to Rioja, Malbec and Sauvignon blanc if anyone has particular recommendations.

I like this rioja

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

I buy lots of wine in Lidl, the Reserva version of the Rioja pictured is good.
    They often have additions to their usual range which are often very good. Currently they have a Portuguese Reserva which is good.
    Also their Barolo is lovely..
    Enjoy trying them out!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Am more familiar with their reds.

The Chiantis are lovely though I think need a decanting.

Recommended is the Alma da Vinha Portuguese red for about €7.50.

You can't go wrong with the Riojas, I like these a lot:
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/grocery-range-red-wines/tarragona-gran-reserva-13/p23705
    https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/red-wine/cepa-lebrel-rioja-joven/p10027

The Cimarosa and basic stuff from S Africa, Australia, California & Chile can be hit and miss. Think they are currently 6 for €29 until Christmas though if you fancy a lucky dip:
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/christmas-drinks/festive-wine-deal/p56017

Safer to go with the Winemaker's Selection range which are very nice.
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/winemakers-selection/c1171

The Resvera Privado from Chile range are good - though I don't see their Malbec listed anymore on the Irish site, this is from the UK site:
    https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/red-wine/chilean-malbec-reserva-privada/p21823

They have wines on special in the bins which contain some absolute crackers, but the problem is by the time you figure out which ones are good they've gone :(

Oh and avoid the Conde Noble Spanish red for €4... wouldn't even use it for cooking.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Am more familiar with their reds.

The Chiantis are lovely though I think need a decanting.

Recommended is the Alma da Vinha Portuguese red for about €7.50.

You can't go wrong with the Riojas, I like these a lot:
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/grocery-range-red-wines/tarragona-gran-reserva-13/p23705
    https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/red-wine/cepa-lebrel-rioja-joven/p10027

The Cimarosa and basic stuff from S Africa, Australia, California & Chile can be hit and miss. Think they are currently 6 for €29 until Christmas though if you fancy a lucky dip:
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/christmas-drinks/festive-wine-deal/p56017

Safer to go with the Winemaker's Selection range which are very nice.
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/winemakers-selection/c1171

The Resvera Privado from Chile range are good - though I don't see their Malbec listed anymore on the Irish site, this is from the UK site:
    https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/red-wine/chilean-malbec-reserva-privada/p21823

They have wines on special in the bins which contain some absolute crackers, but the problem is by the time you figure out which ones are good they've gone :(

Oh and avoid the Conde Noble Spanish red for €4... wouldn't even use it for cooking.

There’s an app called Vivino which is good for reviews. I find Lidl’s wine selection has gone downhill in recent years particularly since they started rolling out the new store format.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I really like the pinotage for €5.60!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Watch out for their NZ Sauv Blancs, which are consistently good and cheaper than most other retailers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

anewme wrote: »
    Got some Haloumi fries in Lidl. Way nicer than the Aldi ones.

Went looking for these today and couldn't see them - were they a special?

Shop was a bit of a mess with restocking so I couldn't really check every bit of the freezers though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Could you find the Balsamic flavour one at all?

No sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

L1011 wrote: »
    Went looking for these today and couldn't see them - were they a special?

Shop was a bit of a mess with restocking so I couldn't really check every bit of the freezers though.

They are in the special range for Christmas. beside the chicken pies, vegetarian roast, nut roast etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

anewme wrote: »
    They are in the special range for Christmas. beside the chicken pies, vegetarian roast, nut roast etc.

Sometimes I think it's nearly better *not* to try the Xmas specials / special buys etc. as the intense disappointment of loving something and realising it'll be gone in a couple of weeks is too much sometimes! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The plum and cinnamon gin is ok, it's quite spiced but nice with some sugar free lemon and lime mixer. You would only have one or two. Actually it's very sweet. The rhubarb one is nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Recliner

Anyone know if they've stopped stocking the Portal do Minho Vino Verde.
    No sign in my local and nothing to say that it was just out of stock. I don't have time to try any other stores.
    It was manic in there so couldn't even find anyone to ask.

Mince pie baclava.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Recliner wrote: »
    Anyone know if they've stopped stocking the Portal do Minho Vino Verde.
    No sign in my local and nothing to say that it was just out of stock. I don't have time to try any other stores.
    It was manic in there so couldn't even find anyone to ask.

I bought some a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Recliner

L1011 wrote: »
    I bought some a few days ago.

Travelled a few miles and got a few bottles. Christmas saved!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Those cheese truckles (in wax), I know they are blended, but they are really tasty.

Just had a caramelised onion one on toasted roll, very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Those cheese truckles (in wax), I know they are blended, but they are really tasty.

Just had a caramelised onion one on toasted roll, very nice.

I like them as well.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Bought the vanilla Victoria sponge cake in the chilled section. For €12.99 I was expecting a lovely luxurious buttercream icing but it was horribly oily and synthetic tasting. Really disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

Bought the vanilla Victoria sponge cake in the chilled section. For €12.99 I was expecting a lovely luxurious buttercream icing but it was horribly oily and synthetic tasting. Really disappointed.

€12.99?? That’s a lot

snowgal wrote: »
    €12.99?? That’s a lot

It’s Hassetts backery, I posted a link about it before.

snowgal wrote: »
    €12.99?? That’s a lot

It’s an awful lot! Hence why I expected so much better quality. Threw 3/4 of the cake in the bin, disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It’s an awful lot! Hence why I expected so much better quality. Threw 3/4 of the cake in the bin, disgraceful.

You could have brought it back, I would have for that much cash...

Thargor wrote: »
    You could have brought it back, I would have for that much cash...

I thought about it, but the fookin effort of that. I’ll just make sure to read the ingredients the next time.

Anyone pick up a XXL beer box in a Cork store. Please post the name of the store .

XXL beet in store today

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The sour bears sweets are dangerously addictive if you like sour sweets.
    Nice firm bite, nicely sour, good flavour.
    Beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I really like the Deluxe free-range eggs from corn-fed chickens, they taste very nice (of course that could be just in my mind and they taste like any other egg. The yolk does have a lovely colour though).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Space Dog wrote: »
    I really like the Deluxe free-range eggs from corn-fed chickens, they taste very nice (of course that could be just in my mind and they taste like any other egg. The yolk does have a lovely colour though).

Every time I see your user name Space Dog, I see Spice Bag. What does that say about me? :pac:

Advertisement