Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

My car is due its first NCT in January. When I put in the date on that site, it still says 10 January? No extension.

Interesting to note too, no appointments until February for my closest test centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,296 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My car is due its first NCT in January. When I put in the date on that site, it still says 10 January? No extension.

Interesting to note too, no appointments until February for my closest test centre.

Yes first NCT dates were not extended. Try around 9.30pm at night when cancelled tests and returned to the booking system.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Just be careful if you have a 9 year old car. Say your nct is up in january and car turns 10 years old in feb. If you were to wait the extra 4 months, it would be over the 10 years and you'd only get a years nct, rather than 2 years for a sub 10 year old car, if that makes sense.

Your NCT is due on the date of registration unless you have already submitted it for a voluntary early test.

You need to get it tested and passed > 90 days from registration to get the 2 year NCT when the car is coming up to 10 years old, so you get a 21 month NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

Got the letter from NCT about my date being extended till April 2021 ( due date was end of October)
    But when I check NCT site it still shows as end of October 2020.
    Not sure now as reading other people's cars are updating on the website when mine hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

honda boi wrote: »
    Got the letter from NCT about my date being extended till April 2021 ( due date was end of October)
    But when I check NCT site it still shows as end of October 2020.
    Not sure now as reading other people's cars are updating on the website when mine hasn't.

I got the letter, test out until start of April. Booked a test for mid March then I got a big warning sign on the screen saying this is past the due date of Nov and if caught blah blah blah.
    I ignored it as I have the NCT letter in the car confirming it's being pushed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

My test is/was due 10th January 2021 when the car will be 10 years old. I went onto the NCT site to book it in and I got a warning that "early voluntary booking will bring the test date back". When I looked at the test date they were showing me, it said 10th May 2021?? I've had no notification from NCT in the post about this and with the increased Garda presence on roads due to lockdown, how do I explain a lapsed NCT disc if I wait until May 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

D13exile wrote: »
    My test is/was due 10th January 2021 when the car will be 10 years old. I went onto the NCT site to book it in and I got a warning that "early voluntary booking will bring the test date back". When I looked at the test date they were showing me, it said 10th May 2021?? I've had no notification from NCT in the post about this and with the increased Garda presence on roads due to lockdown, how do I explain a lapsed NCT disc if I wait until May 2021?

Why not print the page from nct site showing new date?
    Not everyone got notified - I didn't and didn't have hasle at a checkpoint

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

D13exile wrote: »
    Get the test done more than ninety days in advance of your NEW date (10th May) and you'll get a two-year cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Del2005 wrote: »
    Your NCT is due on the date of registration unless you have already submitted it for a voluntary early test.

You need to get it tested and passed > 90 days from registration to get the 2 year NCT when the car is coming up to 10 years old, so you get a 21 month NCT.

Yes so the new extended date would be May if your car is originally due in january, so as long as you book 90 days before the due date in may, you will get the extra year out of it. Thats my understanding of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

My car will turn ten years old in January, it’s now saying my NCT isn’t due until the 29th of July, if I was to get it done early in November or December so is only 9 years old when tested will I get a 2-year certificate instead of one?

Message on NCTS.ie

Warning :
    WARNING! Your Vehicle is not due yet! If you continue to make a booking, it may fall under the voluntary early testing rules which will bring future test due dates forward.

• Advertisement

celticbest wrote: »
    My car will turn ten years old in January, it’s now saying my NCT isn’t due until the 29th of July, if I was to get it done early in November or December so is only 9 years old when tested will I get a 2-year certificate instead of one?

Message on NCTS.ie

Warning :
    WARNING! Your Vehicle is not due yet! If you continue to make a booking, it may fall under the voluntary early testing rules which will bring future test due dates forward.
    That didn't sound right. The extension was for four months, not six.

You now get the two-year cert as long as you get tested more than ninety days before your NEW expiry date (even though your car would be just over ten years old at that stage). Presume this change was made to ensure nobody would end up worse off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Quackster wrote: »
    That didn't sound right. The extension was for four months, not six.

You now get the two-year cert as long as you get tested more than ninety days before your NEW expiry date (even though your car would be just over ten years old at that stage). Presume this change was made to ensure nobody would end up worse off.

I'm curious as to this 2 year cert, how would it be possible to get a 2 year cert for a car requiring a test every year? I understand getting a new cert for a year to match new date for those deffered but issuing a 2 year cert seems to contradict the whole notion of requiring a test every year, especially older cars?

Is this for cars 10 years old or younger only?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm curious as to this 2 year cert, how would it be possible to get a 2 year cert for a car requiring a test every year? I understand getting a new cert for a year to match new date for those deffered but issuing a 2 year cert seems to contradict the whole notion of requiring a test every year, especially older cars?

Is this for cars 10 years old or younger only?
    Sorry, yeah, it's for cars due their 10th anniversary NCT. Get tested more than ninety days in advance of the new date and you still get a two-year cert even though your car may be just over ten years old on the day of the test.

Quackster wrote: »
    Sorry, yeah, it's for cars due their 10th anniversary NCT. Get tested more than ninety days in advance of the new date and you still get a two-year cert even though your car may be just over ten years old on the day of the test.

Damn, just missed it :), thanks for clarifying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yes so the new extended date would be May if your car is originally due in january, so as long as you book 90 days before the due date in may, you will get the extra year out of it. Thats my understanding of it..

Your car doesn't get any younger because the NCT date has been pushed out. If you were due in January you would of had to test more than 90 days before January to get 2 years, if you test in May you will only get 1 year to May 2022. You won't be penalised for not getting testing in January but your car will be over 10 years so only gets a 1 year test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Del2005 wrote: »
    Your car doesn't get any younger because the NCT date has been pushed out. If you were due in January you would of had to test more than 90 days before January to get 2 years, if you test in May you will only get 1 year to May 2022. You won't be penalised for not getting testing in January but your car will be over 10 years so only gets a 1 year test.

Yes, so using the same example, your car turns 10 in january, because of covid its extended to may, if you get tested 90 days before the new due date in may you will get 2 years, if you leave it until the new due date of may you will only get one year. Its not the publics fault that the nct dates are pushed back 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes, so using the same example, your car turns 10 in january, because of covid its extended to may, if you get tested 90 days before the new due date in may you will get 2 years, if you leave it until the new due date of may you will only get one year. Its not the publics fault that the nct dates are pushed back 4 months.

I tested car OVER 10 years old and got 2 years NCT, as they said I could not attend before birthday due to closures. Your experience may vary depending on the computer system and tester on the day but it worked for me. I phoned helpline to date test asap but car was over 10 on day of test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Miscreant

zg3409 wrote: »
    I tested car OVER 10 years old and got 2 years NCT, as they said I could not attend before birthday due to closures. Your experience may vary depending on the computer system and tester on the day but it worked for me. I phoned helpline to date test asap but car was over 10 on day of test

You had a nice NCT tester then. No such luck when my mother did hers recently. Car had just turned 10 and she only got a year cert.

Miscreant wrote: »
    You had a nice NCT tester then. No such luck when my mother did hers recently. Car had just turned 10 and she only got a year cert.
    The tester has absolutely no say in whether the cert is valid for one or two years. It's entirely dependant on the age of your car.

Did your mother get tested more than ninety days before the new expiry date of her ten-year anniversary cert? As that's how you get the two-years validity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

My car is a 2010, had a test booked for May (was due in June) and if passed would have got 2 yr NCT, test was cancelled due to Covid

Did test 3wks ago and passed, got a 1yr cert

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    My car is a 2010, had a test booked for May (was due in June) and if passed would have got 2 yr NCT, test was cancelled due to Covid

Did test 3wks ago and passed, got a 1yr cert
    Yes, that's correct, as your test was carried out less than ninety days before the new due date.

Got NCT done last Wednesday, was deffered till Dec 31st but concerned about delays (Nearest I could get online was February 2021), chanced a phone call and got a booking next day for test with about 2 weeks notice. All done, Cert till December 31st 2021.So definitely worth trying the phone call route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Here we are a year later and I once again I'll have to play chase the NCT cert for a few months.

They really need to spread demand across the year instead of peaking in the new year, and be unable to cope every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭Allinall

Quick question that someone may know, as it’s not clear from the website ( that I can see anyway)

My NCT was due 19th October, but deferred to 19th Feb 2021.

Does the “up to 90 days” rule still apply?

I.e. If I get a test next week, will my cert run to Feb 2022, or a year from test date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

beauf wrote: »
    Here we are a year later and I once again I'll have to play chase the NCT cert for a few months.

They really need to spread demand across the year instead of peaking in the new year, and be unable to cope every year.

But you can do a voluntary early test and move your own test away from this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Allinall wrote: »
    Quick question that someone may know, as it’s not clear from the website ( that I can see anyway)

My NCT was due 19th October, but deferred to 19th Feb 2021.

Does the “up to 90 days” rule still apply?

I.e. If I get a test next week, will my cert run to Feb 2022, or a year from test date?

If you book your test for any date within the 90 days window prior to 19th Feb 2021 you will receive your cert for one year from the 19th Feb 2021 so your next cert will state 19th Feb 2022.

If you do the test before that 90 day window your new cert will be one year from the date you do the test & not 19th Feb 2021

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I got a text saying it’s delayed for nearly 6 months.
    Anyone else?

I got a text saying it’s delayed for nearly 6 months.
    Anyone else?

6 months!! Gosh that's a mess, was your nct due?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Dempo1 wrote: »
    6 months!! Gosh that's a mess, was your nct due?

The end of this year.

It was via text, so I am a little suspicious.

• Advertisement

The end of this year.

It was via text, so I am a little suspicious.

Seems a little odd, we're you booked? I've only ever had a text from them after I requested a booking by calling them and going on waiting /cancellation list.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement