Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Had an NCT date for last Saturday Evening.
    Got a call Saturday afternoon from the nct centre saying there a man down and they can't test my car and to call the booking people next week to rearrange a date.
    Got an email about not attending and charged €21.
    Tried calling but didn't get through to them so emailed them the situation. No reply. Got a text today tho for a date in the middle of November. My NCT up end of October.
    This happen to anyone before? Getting a call about not being able to get there car tested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

NCT tomorrow night. What happens when your car fails then you have 30 days for a retest but can't get one within that period due to the backlog?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

Lundstram wrote: »
    NCT tomorrow night. What happens when your car fails then you have 30 days for a retest but can't get one within that period due to the backlog?

Nct text you a date within the 30 days, I presume they keep slots available for retest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

honda boi wrote: »
    Had an NCT date for last Saturday Evening.
    Got a call Saturday afternoon from the nct centre saying there a man down and they can't test my car and to call the booking people next week to rearrange a date.
    Got an email about not attending and charged €21.
    Tried calling but didn't get through to them so emailed them the situation. No reply. Got a text today tho for a date in the middle of November. My NCT up end of October.
    This happen to anyone before? Getting a call about not being able to get there car tested?

I've never heard of that happening down here in the west anyways and I've heard a fair few testing stories.

That's shocking poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

WTF they don't use disposable seat coverings or anything. Surely there is a big risk of transfer here from one customer to another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

WTF they don't use disposable seat coverings or anything. Surely there is a big risk of transfer here from one customer to another.

Im not so sure about seats being a major transfer risk but certainly hand contact points definitely and disposable covering on steering wheel , handbrake and gearknob would add layer of protection.

What is a big problem , is very few cars seem to be cleaned beforehand yet alone wiped with sanitizer .... with used masks , wipes , dirty clothes and general items left in the way of the tester.

People really do have a mé féin approach to the risk of this virus and its definitely evident in the above ..

Had ours done the other evening, guy commented it was the cleanest car he's seen all day. I washed it and hovered it before heading over but like others zero measures taken when he took the car or returned it in terms of sanitiser etc.

Anyway didn't really think about it at the time but was asked for my license. Don't recall that being a thing in the past? Maybe it was and my memory isn't what it used to be :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,929 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Had ours done the other evening, guy commented it was the cleanest car he's seen all day. I washed it and hovered it before heading over but like others zero measures taken when he took the car or returned it in terms of sanitiser etc.

Anyway didn't really think about it at the time but was asked for my license. Don't recall that being a thing in the past? Maybe it was and my memory isn't what it used to be :o

Yep ID requ, licence or Public service card permitted but not passport apparently for GDPR REASONS

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Yep ID requ, licence or Public service card permitted but not passport apparently for GDPR REASONS

Thanks for confirming my memory is crap :D

Thanks for confirming my memory is crap :D

:) but well done on getting it done

• Advertisement

Tried to book test online, my NCT extended till 31st December, nearest date available in my nearest centre 26th January, called them and they've put me on list (I pres if any cancellations etc), I've still plenty of time but glad I checked

Just an update, phone call made a difference, just recieved confirmation of Test Date 18/11/20, only called them yesterday as first date available on site was late January, so worth calling if anyone concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭obi604

my NCT is due on 8 November, went to book today and soonest date is 4th December, other centers outside my county have a similar date

how am I fixed here?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

obi604 wrote: »
    my NCT is due on 8 November, went to book today and soonest date is 4th December, other centers outside my county have a similar date

how am I fixed here?

Call or keep checking

Call or keep checking

ok, but I guess there will be some leniency with covid and backlogs and all this?

how am I fixed here?

Call, I did and got on waiting list, original earliest date 26th Jan (a month after due date), got a text next day, new date 18th November for same centre)

ok, but I guess there will be some leniency with covid and backlogs and all this?

None apparently, if you have a referral letter, might help but no mention of any lienency I'm afraid, as ridiculous as it is

Dempo1 wrote: »
    None apparently, if you have a referral letter, might help but no mention of any lienency I'm afraid, as ridiculous as it is

jaysus, basic enough, one woudl imagine with all the carry on with covid and restrictions and the lifts and all this that you would be alright

its the cars first NCT, so it does not have an 'expired' NCT disc as such

jaysus, basic enough, one woudl imagine with all the carry on with covid and restrictions and the lifts and all this that you would be alright

its the cars first NCT, so it does not have an 'expired' NCT disc as such

You'll be fine then, it's those with obviously out of date certs that have to explain to Gardai about NCT ineptitude. I had a snotty traffic Corp upstart yesterday query my nct, out 31st of August, showed my deferral letter, he went off to check and this despite the letter and NCT clearly stating Gardai HAVE been informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

I have an NCT date for middle of November.
    My current NCT is up tonight. I had originally had a test date for early October but NCT canceled it themselves and gave me this November date.
    I got a deferral letter from NCT yesterday about my NCT now being extended to April 2021.
    Should I bother going to the date in November or wait till within 90 days of April?
    I'm thinking if I get it done within 90 days of April I'll have a year + about 90 days on my next cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

Nct today. Would have been due July 2nd. Pleasantly surprised to see the cert is valid till November 2021. Thought it might have been backdated to July.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Nct today. Would have been due July 2nd. Pleasantly surprised to see the cert is valid till November 2021. Thought it might have been backdated to July.

On the nct website for sure November 2nd was showed as due date for your car, congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Orlak2410

My NCT is up for renewal at the end of January. However, I received a motor tax reminder email and it said in the email that the NCT doesn't expire until the end of May. Does this mean that I don't have to get it done until the end of May?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

Orlak2410 wrote: »
    My NCT is up for renewal at the end of January. However, I received a motor tax reminder email and it said in the email that the NCT doesn't expire until the end of May. Does this mean that I don't have to get it done until the end of May?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They announced this back in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Orlak2410

bazz26 wrote: »
    They announced this back in March.

Yeah but things are changing all the time you wouldn't be sure same with eviction notices.

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    On the nct website for sure November 2nd was showed as due date for your car, congrats

Ye wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Ye wha?

Ye wha la?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you put the reg in to nct.ie it will confirm the new extended date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Just be careful if you have a 9 year old car. Say your nct is up in january and car turns 10 years old in feb. If you were to wait the extra 4 months, it would be over the 10 years and you'd only get a years nct, rather than 2 years for a sub 10 year old car, if that makes sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement