Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

callaway92 wrote: »
    Just look at what you wrote for feck sake. What absolute guff.

Ah I know I'm just bored watching this, if I was a Dublin fan, I probably would be weirdly wistful for the days when there was some level of uncertainty in playing Meath, instead of sleepwalking to victory every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

A great day. Enjoy it folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Fann Linn wrote: »
    It was so better when Dublin were being hockeyed off the pitch,

When were they? They still won 4 Leinsters in the 90s. Believe it or not that is pretty good going in a decade, sorry they didn’t win all 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,413 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

max life wrote: »
    Yeah I used to watch of gaa football matches myself but have watched very few in the last few years. Its boring for a team to dominate so much and to not have one genuine challenger. 10 leinster titles in a row in ridiculous. The sport is dying

Sport is not dying old antiquated structure of the GAA that is finished.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nice touch for the players to place a Wreath in the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

While RTE just ****e on instead of just shutting their gobs or talking about the event

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

While Dublin's dominance has still allowed us enjoy some classic All Ireland series games, I'm afraid it has killed Leinster Football. When you think about it, the serious' football counties in other provinces at least have a realistic target to aim for most years. Winning or even reaching a provincial final surely helps counties elsewhere to maintain continuity and realistically build on small successes.
    But when you see the #2 team in Leinster playing their 2nd final in a row with 7 or 8 new starters (did I hear that right in the commentary?), it tells its own story. And it's not as if Meath had an aging team that needed a clean out. How do you build continuity?
    Against that backdrop, it's really hard to see any prospect of improvement in Leinster football any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

Talking about the money Dublin get is outlawed on The Sunday Game. It's because when they brought it up in the past, they received thousands of texts from Dublin fans and calls from the Dublin county board. You see there Spillane was going to mention it but only said about population, they've been told it can't be discussed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Spillane is one windbag. Can't stfu at any stage. Whelan a much better analyst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Enquiring wrote: »
    Talking about the money Dublin get is outlawed on The Sunday Game. It's because when they brought it up in the past, they received thousands of texts from Dublin fans and calls from the Dublin county board. You see there Spillane was going to mention it but only said about population, they've been told it can't be discussed!

Hi Ewan....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I know Meath were hammered but both teams should have been taking part in that wreath laying. They said it was preplanned. Really nice to see though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Enjoyed watching that. Perfection pleases me.
    Now to watch Cavan shock Donegal ......... hopefully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Dublin played to their typical excellent standard, but I can't help but feel that Meath were beaten before a ball was ever kicked today. Every attack was made with the fears of the Dublin counter attack in the back of their heads. Whether or not you go at Dublin they will get their scores, there comes a point where it has to become about dying on your feet rather than living on your knees.

Donegal or Mayo would not play that way against the Dubs. They would compete better for the ball, they'd be more decisive and clinical than Meath, and they wouldn't be so naive in defence. The overwhelming likelihood is that Dublin would still win, but it would at least be competitive.

Call me naive but I truly believe Dublin will be given a good fight in the semi by (presumably) Donegal, and after a battle there they'll be given another passionate battle by (again, presumably) Mayo. There is plenty of life in this championship yet, and I feel that anyone who calls the championship over after tonight is being disingenuous. Dublin remain the team to beat, but I see no reason why we can't have a few super games in the coming weeks provided that teams take on the dubs fearlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭conor05

Thank god for the hurling is all I’ll say.

Dublin just on another level.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Enjoyed watching that. Perfection pleases me.
    Now to watch Cavan shock Donegal ......... hopefully!!

Donegal are probably our only hope for a competitive match in the All-Ireland series.

If Meath received 1 million euro more than Dublin for the past 20 years then the scoreline would have been reversed.

The Sunday Game will not mention the elephant in the room! Talk about the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

>snip<

Would they know where it is? Haven’t left Croker for a meaningful game since ‘01

Ah I know I'm just bored watching this, if I was a Dublin fan, I probably would be weirdly wistful for the days when there was some level of uncertainty in playing Meath, instead of sleepwalking to victory every year.

Problem is the provincial structure go through a list of Leinster teams and see what divisions they play in the league.

The provincial structure made sense when people travelled by bike, horse, and rail 100 years ago. Now it is pointless and the only reason it remains is because of lack of bravery by the provincial councils to make changes.

Who wins Munster every year? Kerry/Cork (Mostly Kerry - what chance Limerick or Tipp) Kerry have won 15 of 20 Munster titles. Were going for 8 in a row.

Who wins Connacht every year Mayo/Galway bar the odd Roscommon shock.

Who wins Ulster every year Donegal/Tyrone bar a rare Monaghan shock in what is supposed to be the best Monaghan side ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If Meath received 1 million euro more than Dublin for the past 20 years then the scoreline would have been reversed.

I don’t believe the money makes a lot of difference.
    I think playing all your games on the perfect surface that is Croke Park suits the running style of the Dubs game. The surface rather than the stadium.
    I watched the Cavan v Down game in Armagh last Sunday and the bounce of the ball was much slower due to the surface. It slows up the play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I think playing all your games on the perfect surface that is Croke Park suits the running style of the Dubs game. The surface rather than the stadium.

Parnell park suits the limited hurlers better so naturally they play games there

Would they know where it is? Haven’t left Croker for a meaningful game since ‘01

Being a rugby lover I can only assume the super 8's have passed you by?
    Even I know the five nations is now called the six nations!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

Time to split the AL into 16 teams
    4 groups of 4, QFs, semis, final
    Remaining 16 in a lower competition similar format
    Dublin will still prob walk it the provincial championships are stone age

Players don't just get developed from thin air. Remember they talked about a once in a generation team? Clearly, that was false as Connolly, Flynn, Brogan etc are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

C__MC wrote: »
    Time to split the AL into 16 teams
    4 groups of 4, QFs, semis, final
    Remaining 16 in a lower competition similar format
    Dublin will still prob walk it the provincial championships are stone age

Scrapping provincials won't change anything and Leinster would be competitive if Dublin was taken out. Tier 2 is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

Rolo2010 wrote: »
    Scrapping provincials won't change anything and Leinster would be competitive if Dublin was taken out. Tier 2 is pointless.

Why is pointless
    Football is dying at intercounty level in most counties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

C__MC wrote: »
    Why is pointless
    Football is dying at intercounty level in most counties

And a Tier 2 won't revive football in those counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I watched the Cavan v Down game in Armagh last Sunday and the bounce of the ball was much slower due to the surface. It slows up the play.
    It's a combination of about 10 different advantages dublin have including the fact 2 of their players should be playing for meath. Although if they did they'd have stopped commiting to the panel long ago like most meath players do after their 3rd or 4th dublin dribbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

If Meath received 1 million euro more than Dublin for the past 20 years then the scoreline would’ve have been reversed.

That’s far too much money for Meath county board to be trusted with.

Advertisement