Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS student paramedic recruitment 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 tommyharper

donottroll wrote: »
    Anybody coming from a non medical background into the job?
    I'm coming from non medical, I did the EMT course a few years back so have a little bit of a headstart.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Roxy5

Anybody coming from a non medical background into the job?
    Yeah I am the same, no medical knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eoghan2410

Hi guys, I know there will be a while before they do another recruitment drive. I have my eye on applying when It does open again. I was just wondering will I be at a serious disadvantage as I have no “paramedic experience”. I have recently graduated with a science degree and have worked part time as I went along but no experience with in the sector. Will I still have a chance or would it be seen as necessary to get in as obviously there will be a lot of strong applicants. Any help is really appreciated !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 donottroll

Eoghan2410 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I know there will be a while before they do another recruitment drive. I have my eye on applying when It does open again. I was just wondering will I be at a serious disadvantage as I have no “paramedic experience”. I have recently graduated with a science degree and have worked part time as I went along but no experience with in the sector. Will I still have a chance or would it be seen as necessary to get in as obviously there will be a lot of strong applicants. Any help is really appreciated !

You don't need any ambulance or emergency service etc experience.

Anybody from any kind of background will be considered as long as you show your competencies in the application form and the interview and do a bit of research about NAS and the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MN_Medic

Eoghan2410 wrote: »

You're not disadvantaged in anyway not coming from a prehospital, First Aid, responder background. Paramedicine is a science with practical hands on applications. You'll do fine as most of the students in each course are like yourself.

• Advertisement

They actually say that the people from non medical backgrounds do better on the course than those coming from even ambulance backgrounds.
    I don't know how that works though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eoghan2410

Thanks a mill for the reply’s guys. It’s something I’ll definately be applying for when it comes around ! Was something I always wanted to apply for once I had finished my degree but wasn’t sure would I immediately get disregarded for not having the prehospital backround. It’s really appreciated. Good luck to everyone involved atm !

I was thinking the same, I think those with experience might become a bit complacent, sure I already know that kind of attitude. I'm hoping not being that guy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TheOriginalJ

I was thinking the same, I think those with experience might become a bit complacent, sure I already know that kind of attitude. I'm hoping not being that guy though.

From what I hear they won't allow that happen

Looking forward to getting started. Do you think we'll be wearing masks full time in the classroom?

• Advertisement

From what I hear they won't allow that happen
    Yes. This is going to be quite a tough course. I hear the pressure will be immense.

Looking forward to getting started. Do you think we'll be wearing masks full time in the classroom?

Without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TheOriginalJ

Yes. This is going to be quite a tough course. I hear the pressure will be immense.

Without a doubt.

Absolutely lads tough course but I'm sure will be a lot of fun along the way, I'd say masks if doing anything hands on for sure, we prob all have to be covid tested before starting

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Baby S 85

A little bit off topic here, trying to find information on career progression as a paramedic once qualified, anyone know if the NAS has SORT/HART teams or offer any training courses in this area. I've been doing a bit of research and it seems very interesting. I'm about ten steps ahead of myself here but sure have to ask.

Baby S 85 wrote: »
    A little bit off topic here, trying to find information on career progression as a paramedic once qualified, anyone know if the NAS has SORT/HART teams or offer any training courses in this area. I've been doing a bit of research and it seems very interesting. I'm about ten steps ahead of myself here but sure have to ask.

Once qualified as a paramedic and after a period of time post qualication you can progress to the advanced Paramedic, community paramedic or critical care paramedic programs. You may need to be an AP to apply for critical care. There is an incident response team (IRT) who train with the gardai, coast guard etc. and are dispatched to serious and major incidents that require their expertise.

MN_Medic wrote: »
    Once qualified as a paramedic and after a period of time post qualication you can progress to the advanced Paramedic, community paramedic or critical care paramedic programs. You may need to be an AP to apply for critical care. There is an incident response team (IRT) who train with the gardai, coast guard etc. and are dispatched to serious and major incidents that require their expertise.
    Thanks for the reply, that's exactly the information I was looking for.

Thanks for the reply, that's exactly the information I was looking for.

Just to chime in on this. The competition for these roles is quite large.

It's not like the guards where there's many opportunities to get into. The ambulance service is quite small in comparison.

Just to chime in on this. The competition for these roles is quite large.

It's not like the guards where there's many opportunities to get into. The ambulance service is quite small in comparison.

Sure as long as the opportunities are there, that's all you can ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cathal1264

Thanks for bringing up critical care paramedic, iv been trying to research how to progress onto this once you become an AP and other aspects like is it a phd,what’s involved etc ...but there seems to be no info about it,could u shed some light on it ?

cathal1264 wrote: »
    Thanks for bringing up critical care paramedic, iv been trying to research how to progress onto this once you become an AP and other aspects like is it a phd,what’s involved etc ...but there seems to be no info about it,could u shed some light on it ?

An internal recruitment is carried where qualified AP's can apply. The first critical care paramedic course started a few weeks ago and there is currently a recruitment for more at the moment. It's not a PhD but I am guessing it's a post graduate diploma year on top of the AP. As it's in it's infancy there is not allot of information available on it, however, a job specification was sent around, similar to the student paramedic recruitment document, and it's impressive and highly skilled.

MN_Medic wrote: »
    An internal recruitment is carried where qualified AP's can apply. The first critical care paramedic course started a few weeks ago and there is currently a recruitment for more at the moment. It's not a PhD but I am guessing it's a post graduate diploma year on top of the AP. As it's in it's infancy there is not allot of information available on it, however, a job specification was sent around, similar to the student paramedic recruitment document, and it's impressive and highly skilled.
    Just wondering if you have any information on the role/roles within the IRT.

• Advertisement

Just wondering if you have any information on the role/roles within the IRT.

I'm afraid I don't. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Jimmy113

Had my interview. It was very relaxed and the interviewers couldn’t have been nicer. Glad I had my prep done. Just have to wait and see now.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Jimmy113

Hi all, is the next class from the existing panel due to start in Jan in Dublin also, or is it just Galway. Is this the last class to be sent through from the existing panel or is there another one after Jan? Thanks

Jimmy113 wrote: »
    Hi all, is the next class from the existing panel due to start in Jan in Dublin also, or is it just Galway. Is this the last class to be sent through from the existing panel or is there another one after Jan? Thanks

There is a class commencing in Galway and Dublin in January. They're mostly from the existing panel formed earlier this year.

Nobody can say for sure when the next class after that will be but generally they do two intakes per year, around jan/feb and then around september/october.

There was talks about setting up a third college (which ran into issues and was postponed from what I heard) so there may or may not an additional intake.

I was talking with the shearwater hotel in ballinasloe earlier. They do a reduced rate for NAS Staff. A double room is 40e a night, assuming you are staying sunday/Monday through to Thursday night, breakfast is included on Wednesday and Thursday morning. You can purchase a dinner in the evening, this will cost 13e, usual supplements added for steak etc. They will open the pool up, depending on the numbers staying in the hotel.

A twin can be booked and its charged at 55e per night, divided by 2. Works out a small bit cheaper, if you can convince somebody to bunk in with you.

Anybody go for the medical yet?
    What did it involve?

Do they do an eyesight test? What about fitness/step test?
    I had my medical in Galway today. There's a detailed questionnaire to fill in. Urine sample. Height, weight, chest and waist measurement, BP, blood test, if your BMI is over 30 there is a brief step test. The doctor told me you would need to have severe cardiovascular disease to fail it.
    The eye test, tests your peripheral, long and near vision through a visor type device, colour blindness test too, close your bad eye if its too blurred. Finished off with a hearing test, tip is look at the floor in the booth.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Newgirl89

Eoi gone out for tullamore and Tallaght.... anybody any idea how many left on panel previous to the one from interviews earlier this week?

That was fast! Wonder what building in tullamore they're going to use.

Did anybody get a link emailed back to them for the garda vetting yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Roxy5

Yeah, I got my link back the 7th November, I submitted it and the received a email on Tuesday there to say it had been completed and submitted to the HSE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Newgirl89

Fastest ever! Interview Tuesday, panelled Wednesday and eoi today

Advertisement