Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NAS student paramedic recruitment 2019

Options
  • 29-01-2019 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Anybody know if the ambulance service will be recruiting for student paramedics anytime soon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kamiljkamil

Af1493 wrote: »
    Anybody know if the ambulance service will be recruiting for student paramedics anytime soon?

They have just advertised. Closing date is 12th of April @ 12:00

Went through the process myself last year, didn’t get through unfortunately. Another chance is nice. Anyone else going for it ?

Went through the process myself last year, didn’t get through unfortunately. Another chance is nice. Anyone else going for it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 frankhon

I'm seriously considering it. I would absolutely love the job, and I'd be happy to go anywhere in the country to do it, but the pay and unrostered hours are making me think twice about whether or not it could work.

frankhon wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering it. I would absolutely love the job, and I'd be happy to go anywhere in the country to do it, but the pay and unrostered hours are making me think twice about whether or not it could work.

I’m in the same boat as yourself. No problem being assigned anywhere, but the fact that you could be doing any shift without much notice is a difficult one. You can’t really plan anything. I’d love the job myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GF6

As this is the first time you have the leaving cert removed in lieu of 2 years ICO service, you're going to see a lot of present NAS EMT staff applying for this campaign.
    It's the first one under UCC but that doesn't really effect the course too much. (I'd imagine)

The hours are long and the course in intense enough. A lot of people find it very stressful if they're placed in a station far from home. Especially those with kids.
    Even having kids at being stationed near to home is tough because you might never finish on time. Could do a 12 hour shift, i.e 6am-6pm, 8am-8pm, or nights and towards the end of your shift you'll get a call and it'll take you one or two hours over, sometimes more.

They're trying to be more accomodating lately, and generally try get you closer to home but if you apply for a preference in the south region, don't be surprised if you apply for cork and get something like waterford or kerry.
    The NAS regions are pretty big. Some people end up commuting long distances each day.

Being on relief too they can throw you between stations in the county or region. You generally get your roster on friday for the following week, some places you might get it up to 2-3 weeks in advanced if you're very lucky.

Just some thoughts that come to mind when I read the first couple of comments in the thread. But by all means if it's something you think you'd enjoy, just go for it and get on the panel and see how things pan out. You can always change your mind. You could be waiting a while anyway.

Any questions about NAS and how things work I'll try answer.

GF6 wrote: »
    As this is the first time you have the leaving cert removed in lieu of 2 years ICO service, you're going to see a lot of present NAS EMT staff applying for this campaign.
    It's the first one under UCC but that doesn't really effect the course too much. (I'd imagine)

The hours are long and the course in intense enough. A lot of people find it very stressful if they're placed in a station far from home. Especially those with kids.
    Even having kids at being stationed near to home is tough because you might never finish on time. Could do a 12 hour shift, i.e 6am-6pm, 8am-8pm, or nights and towards the end of your shift you'll get a call and it'll take you one or two hours over, sometimes more.

They're trying to be more accomodating lately, and generally try get you closer to home but if you apply for a preference in the south region, don't be surprised if you apply for cork and get something like waterford or kerry.
    The NAS regions are pretty big. Some people end up commuting long distances each day.

Being on relief too they can throw you between stations in the county or region. You generally get your roster on friday for the following week, some places you might get it up to 2-3 weeks in advanced if you're very lucky.

Just some thoughts that come to mind when I read the first couple of comments in the thread. But by all means if it's something you think you'd enjoy, just go for it and get on the panel and see how things pan out. You can always change your mind. You could be waiting a while anyway.

Any questions about NAS and how things work I'll try answer.

I agree with you, it doesn’t look like it’s just a career choice you decide on overnight. When it comes to assigned rosters, I know that as an intern you will get moved around quite a bit at the beginning to accommodate operational demands.
    How lenient are they when it comes to, let’s say: I can work any days apart from I.e Thursday evening shift 8pm-8am. Will they be in any way accommodating? Just want to gauge how it works.

I agree with you, it doesn’t look like it’s just a career choice you decide on overnight. When it comes to assigned rosters, I know that as an intern you will get moved around quite a bit at the beginning to accommodate operational demands.
    How lenient are they when it comes to, let’s say: I can work any days apart from I.e Thursday evening shift 8pm-8am. Will they be in any way accommodating? Just want to gauge how it works.

Generally you'd have to get onto the regional workforce office who plans rosters and request it. They might accomodate you once every now and then, but on a regular basis I'd imagine not unless you had significant needs and spoke the station manager, which to be frank you probably don't want to be doing when you're just in the door to make a good impression.

Essentially, give workforce a shout at least a week or two in advanced if you're looking for a day off.

But between on the road time, and classroom time you're not going to have an easy two years if you need a specific day off every week.

GF6 wrote: »
    Generally you'd have to get onto the regional workforce office who plans rosters and request it. They might accomodate you once every now and then, but on a regular basis I'd imagine not unless you had significant needs and spoke the station manager, which to be frank you probably don't want to be doing when you're just in the door to make a good impression.

Essentially, give workforce a shout at least a week or two in advanced if you're looking for a day off.

But between on the road time, and classroom time you're not going to have an easy two years if you need a specific day off every week.

Interesting that you can actually do that. But yes I see what you mean by needing to make a good impression at the start. What way do shifts work? Do they stay consistent or do they change from week to week?

Interesting that you can actually do that. But yes I see what you mean by needing to make a good impression at the start. What way do shifts work? Do they stay consistent or do they change from week to week?

Every station has different shifts. common ones you'll see are 8-8, 6-6, 7-7, 8-6. 8-2 11-9, 11-11 but there's a whole variation. Each week you'll be working different days. Sometimes you do both days and nights in a week. It's ad-hoc essentially.
    Have to get through the interviews and college first though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

Generally you will find out your shifts on a Wednesday 2 weeks in advance.

If you have any set plans (eg football practice every Tuesday and Thursday evening) you may kiss that goodbye. While workforce planning may be able to occasionally roster you unavailable, that is an exception.

Be prepared to work a good few nights. Rostered staff usually apply for them off and unrostered/relief staff cover the shifts.

Depending on your area, you will not have a permanent station for over 5 years (northeast is about 8-10). You may be assigned to a Hub of 3 stations and will be text your weeks roster (2 weeks in advance) covering shifts in 1 or all 3 of the stations (eg. Monday night cavan, Wednesday day virginia, Thursday day ardee).

It's a rewarding job, the pay is not the worst (840e take home while in the college) but your work/life balance will be very much unbalanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Can you choose an area to work that's in the same region or county that you live, and what's the starting salary, do you get paid while training?

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Can you choose an area to work that's in the same region or county that you live, and what's the starting salary, do you get paid while training?

You are asked your preferred area and they will try to get you there, but you get posted as per the needs of the service. You may have to work in an area away from home for a while.

Pay while in the college works out at about €840 per fortnight after tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Thanks for the responce, BTW what's the pay once qualified

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responce, BTW what's the pay once qualified

Eh....it varies.
    I think for interns its about 1100e for a flat 2 weeks, but I'm not 100%
    You have to account for Saturday allowance, Sunday pay and any subsistance you may be due.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kellea

Dont know if I am reading the Job Spec incorrectly but do you have to have a C1 licence before you even apply? TIA

Kellea wrote: »
    Dont know if I am reading the Job Spec incorrectly but do you have to have a C1 licence before you even apply? TIA

Yes, you need to have a full C1 licence before the closing date.
    If ya dont have the licence needed to drive the ambulance then you cannot/should not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sar32

What's the waiting time like to start in college once placed on the panal? Could it be anything up to a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Sar32 wrote: »
    What's the waiting time like to start in college once placed on the panal? Could it be anything up to a year?
    Yes, and more depending where you place! All the more reason to get on the top of the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

Depending on your panel placement but I was waiting about a year they take around 20-30 at a time in tallaght

• Advertisement

1st class is scheduled to start in September, so if you score high you have a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 GeorgieVa

Hi all,

just found this thread. Am currently volunteering in the Irish Red Cross, but would be looking to become a paramedic in the future.

I had no idea about the rostering. So you cannot have a permanent schedule, like Mon-Th either days or nights, and then be, some days a month available for an emergency shift/s?

Are there ever any roles available for part time positions? x

GeorgieVa wrote: »
    Hi all,

just found this thread. Am currently volunteering in the Irish Red Cross, but would be looking to become a paramedic in the future.

I had no idea about the rostering. So you cannot have a permanent schedule, like Mon-Th either days or nights, and then be, some days a month available for an emergency shift/s?

The ambulance service does not have part time positions.
    As for rosters....your first few years you will not be on a regular roster. Your shifts are assigned to cover annual leave, sick leave, training leave etc of the rostered personnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

GeorgieVa wrote: »
    Hi all,

If you are an EMT you could consider joining NAS as an ICO. Currently ICOs dont do night shifts. And the option to go the Paramedics later is possible and some say beneficial this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Clodz2010

antichrist wrote: »
    You are asked your preferred area and they will try to get you there, but you get posted as per the needs of the service. You may have to work in an area away from home for a while.

Pay while in the college works out at about €840 per fortnight after tax.

Hey, finally got into student para interviews.. Anyone have interview tips?

Would be greay appreciated!

Would be great appreciated!

Clodz2010 wrote: »

Would be great appreciated!

Know your stories.
    Look at the brief/heading for each one and then the appendix for the keys words you need to be hitting. You have to hit the key words

Don't spoof.

Try to be relaxed....confident....dont tell em you know it all and have saved the world if you were in the privates or vols, you don't and you havent.

Know that you can be sent anywhere in the country....show a willingness to learn and move if needed. If you have a family have a plan if you are sent to the furthest place from where you live.

Thats it really .

antichrist wrote: »
    Know your stories.
    Look at the brief/heading for each one and then the appendix for the keys words you need to be hitting. You have to hit the key words

Don't spoof.

Try to be relaxed....confident....dont tell em you know it all and have saved the world if you were in the privates or vols, you don't and you havent.

Know that you can be sent anywhere in the country....show a willingness to learn and move if needed. If you have a family have a plan if you are sent to the furthest place from where you live.

Thats it really .

Great, thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 am192

Just came across this thread, I got placed on this years panel, im fairly high up and didnt get Septembers training offer. Does anyone know when they will send out another one, preferably tallaght, and how long can I expect to stay on the panel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Joonnor212

am192 wrote: »
    Just came across this thread, I got placed on this years panel, im fairly high up and didnt get Septembers training offer. Does anyone know when they will send out another one, preferably tallaght, and how long can I expect to stay on the panel?

Got on the panel myself, I didn’t go for September call but I am hoping to get on the next date. When you say high up how far are you?

Advertisement