Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS student paramedic recruitment 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 tommyharper

Its a lot alright, thankfully I had all the documents to hand. No word on the medical yet, have you heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭NeuronalJoe

Its a lot alright, thankfully I had all the documents to hand. No word on the medical yet, have you heard anything?

Documents and references sorted, luckily I was in work when the reference email was sent out.

My medical is on the 5th in Dublin.

Good stuff, when did you get the medical confirmation, was it arranged after you submitted all your documents??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 donottroll

Good stuff, when did you get the medical confirmation, was it arranged after you submitted all your documents??

Pretty much the day after they requested the documents. So last Friday.
    They said they'd contact you within the coming week.

Maybe give medmark a ring to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Scoobasteve123

Are we supposed to get an acknowledgement email after sending required documents? Thanks

• Advertisement

Are we supposed to get an acknowledgement email after sending required documents? Thanks

I didn't get 1 anyway, medical arranged for the 18th. Is that the end of documents we need to send in or is there more?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Scoobasteve123

I didn't get 1 anyway, medical arranged for the 18th. Is that the end of documents we need to send in or is there more?

Just the references now as far as I'm aware.

Just the references now as far as I'm aware.

Good stuff, 2 references gone in and 1 going in on Monday, we won't feel it now and January will land on us

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Jimmy113

Just received a mail to confirm interviews will be the week of the 16th of November. Interviews will be by Webex. Did anyone get the link sent to them to join the calls on Webex?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Newgirl89

Jimmy113 wrote: »
    Just received a mail to confirm interviews will be the week of the 16th of November. Interviews will be by Webex. Did anyone get the link sent to them to join the calls on Webex?

Will assume that will come closer to interview time, letters with details of interview we’re posted yesterday as per mail received, so will assum more details will be on that, haven’t seen if letter has arrived as at work. You all set for interview? Any good tips from previous interviewees

• Advertisement

Newgirl89 wrote: »
    Will assume that will come closer to interview time, letters with details of interview we’re posted yesterday as per mail received, so will assum more details will be on that, haven’t seen if letter has arrived as at work. You all set for interview? Any good tips from previous interviewees

Have back ups for each of your competence stories.

Remember what you have done to prepare for the interview i.e asking current people in the job about their day to day experience, getting your C1 license, taking trips to stations.

Think about why you want to be a paramedic with NAS.

Have a quick look over the structure of the organisation. They asked me if I knew who the Medical Director and Director of NAS were.

Also read up on the structure of the Student Para program. How many weeks in the college/placement/hospital/internship etc.

Good luck!

The interview was quite relaxed. Similar to the previous poster, know your stories inside out and have an alternative. The stories are all about what you did and how you achieved the result. Focus on your own thoughts and ideas.
    Fill your head with information about the ambulance service so when a question is asked that you have a good broad knowledge base.
    I learned all about phecc and was able to steer my interview to discuss that.
    Know the structure of the training programme, be able to talk about the vehicles and ambulance response times. It just shows the board that you have taken the time to learn about the service.
    Know about new technologies in the service like e-PCR. the newest vehicles have face time technologies that a paramedic can talk to a consultant via video call, not sure of the correct name of that system.
    I touched on community paramedics, look it up, its a new cross border initiative.
    Know the bread and butter stuff, staff levels, structure, how many emergency calls last year, fleet size and type.
    You are committed and willing to learn. If you are in a voluntary service you can draw from that, pertaining to team work.
    Most of all, be yourself and let your personality shine and the very best of luck.

Thank you so much!!
    Have back ups for each of your competence stories.

Remember what you have done to prepare for the interview i.e asking current people in the job about their day to day experience, getting your C1 license, taking trips to stations.

Think about why you want to be a paramedic with NAS.

Have a quick look over the structure of the organisation. They asked me if I knew who the Medical Director and Director of NAS were.

Also read up on the structure of the Student Para program. How many weeks in the college/placement/hospital/internship etc.

Good luck!

Thanks a million! Looking forward to getting it all done now, it’s been a long wait since aptitude in March
    The interview was quite relaxed. Similar to the previous poster, know your stories inside out and have an alternative. The stories are all about what you did and how you achieved the result. Focus on your own thoughts and ideas.
    Fill your head with information about the ambulance service so when a question is asked that you have a good broad knowledge base.
    I learned all about phecc and was able to steer my interview to discuss that.
    Know the structure of the training programme, be able to talk about the vehicles and ambulance response times. It just shows the board that you have taken the time to learn about the service.
    Know about new technologies in the service like e-PCR. the newest vehicles have face time technologies that a paramedic can talk to a consultant via video call, not sure of the correct name of that system.
    I touched on community paramedics, look it up, its a new cross border initiative.
    Know the bread and butter stuff, staff levels, structure, how many emergency calls last year, fleet size and type.
    You are committed and willing to learn. If you are in a voluntary service you can draw from that, pertaining to team work.
    Most of all, be yourself and let your personality shine and the very best of luck.

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back once the interviews have been completed? Is it weeks or months?

Jimmy113 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back once the interviews have been completed? Is it weeks or months?

Its weeks, you'll get a letter with your panel place.

Its weeks, you'll get a letter with your panel place.

Is it true you can wait until the next class is run if you don’t want to accept the first class intake?

Yes, that's correct, equally if you don't want dublin, you can wait for your number to come up for galway.

Anybody go for the medical yet?
    What did it involve?

Do they do an eyesight test? What about fitness/step test?

I'm in next week, there's no fitness test, unless you're over a certain BMI, that's what I've heard. Eye test, hearing test, peak flow, pretty run of the mill stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 TheOriginalJ

How is everybody getting on , exciting times ahead for all starting in January, is there many getting down to study beforehand? I see on the Garda pages they tend to create WhatsApp group for classes starting, it's a good way of sharing any tips , study methods etc. Is there many here starting in galway in January.

I'm starting in galway this January, I'd be very open to a WhatsApp group. I am learning the medications at the minute, its been recommended by a good few people already in NAS, also looking over CPGS, I didn't study science before so looking at YouTube tutorials on the different body systems.

I'm starting in galway this January, I'd be very open to a WhatsApp group. I am learning the medications at the minute, its been recommended by a good few people already in NAS, also looking over CPGS, I didn't study science before so looking at YouTube tutorials on the different body systems.

Ah fair play, meds definitely worth knowing, also the heart, if we got a few more interested we could start a WhatsApp group.

donottroll wrote: »
    Anybody go for the medical yet?
    What did it involve?

Do they do an eyesight test? What about fitness/step test?

I had mine last week, wasn't bad at all.

Eyesight, hearing, blood test, tetanus shot if you haven't had one in the last 10 years, urine test, BP, BMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MN_Medic

You should also download a copy of the Paramedic education and training standards from the PHECC website. You can use it to guide your study going forward once you start the course. The medication formulary is a good place to start before beginning. I would focus on that and begin the A&P study with the basics of the cell, tissues, organs, systems and how they relate to each other and anatomical terms. That's pretty much where the course will start after CFR, Health and Safety, ethics, etc.

MN_Medic wrote: »
    You should also download a copy of the Paramedic education and training standards from the PHECC website. You can use it to guide your study going forward once you start the course. The medication formulary is a good place to start before beginning. I would focus on that and begin the A&P study with the basics of the cell, tissues, organs, systems and how they relate to each other and anatomical terms. That's pretty much where the course will start after CFR, Health and Safety, ethics, etc.

Thanks, I just want to hit the ground running. Are you a student P?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MN_Medic

Thanks, I just want to hit the ground running. Are you a student P?

I was a long time ago :-)

MN_Medic wrote: »
    I was a long time ago :-)
    I'll be having nightmares tonight after reading the paramedic education and training standards!

I'll be having nightmares tonight after reading the paramedic education and training standards!

Cheer's lads

• Advertisement

Anybody coming from a non medical background into the job?

Advertisement