Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Nothing new there. The BBC has always been like that when it comes to music. That's why pirate radio took off.

Having been banned by the BBC is a huge accolade!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_banned_by_the_BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Limpy wrote: »
    Is faggit even offensive these days.

Yeah, it's been offensive to gay people for a long time.
    GT89 wrote: »
    Not outside of the US

What difference has the US got to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm sick of that ****ing song

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Whatdoyoumean

Misleading thread title, you got my hopes up thinking they were censoring the whole song - very welcome in my opinion!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    They haven't censored it. It's just Radio 1 (which has a younger audience for whom the word might be a no-no).

Radio 2 will still play the original version. I think they (Kirsty) recorded a second version in 1992 that took out any word that might cause offence .

The Pogues are totally okay with this, b.t.w.

I'm only 22 and am far from offended by it and nor is anyone I know of my age group. This is an agenda being pushed by a minority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That song is Shane MacGowans pension scheme, great returns every year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

They’ll all sing swing low sweet chariot at twickenham though, that’s fine I’m sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

That song is Shane MacGowans pension scheme, great returns every year.

The 25th of December is like Christmas and his birthday all rolled into one.

sligojoek wrote: »
    The BBC's decision to remove the word "f****t" from the classic Christmas song Fairytale of New York has roused the ire of Telegraph readers.

I bet it has. That's their favourite part.

M

.anon. wrote: »
    The 25th of December is like Christmas and his birthday all rolled into one.

£400k a year apparently :eek:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/christmas-song-royalties-pogues-kirsty-maccoll-mariah-carey-wham-slade-wizzard-a8692641.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

******t or Fag is a viciously offensive word to some people and I wouldnt dismiss them as "snowflakes" unless you experienced vile abuse because of your sexuality: A friend of mine who was gay was constantly bullied at school and called that word day in day out it was even written on his jacket by bullies and he ended up taking his own life. He was gay.

It seems boards.ie have edited out the full word Fag

• Site Banned Posts: 13 BIG GUNZ

.anon. wrote: »
    I bet it has. That's their favourite part.

Are you mentally ill?

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    It seems boards.ie have edited out the full word Fag

All the people on here who object to that word being censored should close their Boards accounts in protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

BIG GUNZ wrote: »
    Will do. In the meantime go post on facebook about how your such a great 'ally' to the gay community. You rock girl!

You on a wind up ,yeah? The song is not censored on the B.B.C.

Radio 1 play the 1992 version.

Radio 2 play the original.

You read whatever you like into those facts.

M

What about the lyrics of Rule Brittania...ruling the waves and never ever being slaves, is that offensive too considering they were the largest slave owners on the face of the earth?

I wonder is "fag" to gay people any different to "nigge.." to black people?If the song said "you cheap lousy "nigg.." there would be outcry.
    The BBC did attempt to censure this song ~2007. The song is a product of its time. It's a good song but I personally find the use of the word cheap lousy fag.. cringeworthy. That's just my personal opinion.

This is the version BBC Radio 1 will be playing:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What about the lyrics of Rule Brittania...ruling the waves and never ever being slaves, is that offensive too considering they were the largest slave owners on the face of the earth?

How many times does that get played at Xmas?

• Site Banned Posts: 13 BIG GUNZ

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    You on a wind up ,yeah? The song is not censored on the B.B.C.

Radio 1 play the 1992 version.

Radio 2 play the original.

You read whatever you like into those facts.

By and large women will accept censorship in order to 'protect' minorities. There are exceptions, but those who resist censorship are usually male.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Is there a Christmas forum for discussion on this dung?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is a very strong sentiment on Boards in favour of various sorts of censorship. Like trying to stop American English being used. Or trying to get advertisements taken off the radio because they annoy some people. This move by the BBC should be popular here.

I'm only 22 and am far from offended by it and nor is anyone I know of my age group. This is an agenda being pushed by a minority.

Your anecdotal evidence is meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

Proud bisexual here born in the 70's
    Never had an issue with my sexuality or needed to be swinging from the chandler's letting everyone know that I'm a ghey, it wasn't obvious and still isn't... noticeable.

This woke sh1t really pisses off us old school gheys and a lot of us aren't liberals or lefty's were quite conservative apart from a few fruit loops who became professor's or work in social care they're absolute head bangers with the woke culture.

I remember myself and my friend were at pride last year and because we were from the country side the Dubs tried to undermine us, the guy with me is quite butch too and he called them a bunch of femme whatevers...
    They got into all this woke, liberal lefty bllsh17

I'm an old school ghey/poof/bender/shirtlifter/queer/arse bandit/ fag/ uphill Gardener...

I'm sick of people undermining the gay community by using our sexuality to get rid of a song/book/movie/art/songs and many more things that I and my fag friends are meant to be offended for the sake of other people telling us how to ****ing live in society and we should be sensitive or SJW woke liberal etc .

Well as a man who likes sleeping with men, I say **** this woke ****e, we've had enough of our sexuality being used by liberals and SJWs to justify their wokebess..

There's SFA wrong with fairy tale of new York, it's a song, they're words, it's art...

Woke *****

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The song was written before you were born, you're 22 years old, and you're outraged about the BBC not playing the original?

533489.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    ******t or Fag is a viciously offensive word to some people and I wouldnt dismiss them as "snowflakes" unless you experienced vile abuse because of your sexuality: A friend of mine who was gay was constantly bullied at school and called that word day in day out it was even written on his jacket by bullies and he ended up taking his own life. He was gay.

Of course it's an offensive term. In the big, bad world people sometimes use offensive terms and we cannot censor their use out of existence or sanitize art to avoid offending anyone's delicate sensibilities.

“The word was used by the character because it fitted with the way she would speak and with her character. She is not supposed to be a nice person, or even a wholesome person. She is a woman of a certain generation at a certain time in history, and she is down on her luck and desperate. Her dialogue is as accurate as I could make it, but she is not intended to offend. She is just supposed to be an authentic character, and not all characters in songs and stories are angels or even decent and respectable. Sometimes characters in songs and stories have to be evil or nasty in order to tell the story effectively.”

- Shane McGowan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Water John wrote: »
    Ah they'll play the Ronan Keating version instead. Now, that would be a crime.
    :eek:
    I never knew this existed, and curiosity got the better of me..
    I didn't think karaoke keating could surprise me any more with his attempts of 'cover' versions but that is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I dislike the censorship, Ronan Keating's singing in general, and the song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,792 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement