Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know where we're going, but it can only be 5K away (Part whatever)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭thomil

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    **slides plate over**

**slides full plate back**

Enjoy, it's an old family recipe.

Anyone else? I've got more than enough.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,256 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Yes, up Limerick!

Not forgetting Mayo :) and of course Lewis No7 World champion Hamilton :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

And #M1r in the moto gp

And #M1r in the moto gp

Have you ever gone to a moto gp Grem? If not you should book once things are back to normal, you'd love it.
    Auto, anyone but Hamilton, excellent driver but a pain imo.
    Couchside, got some decluttering done today, still lots of stuff to be dumped but I'm a bit of a hoarder and the others were taking stuff out of the skip also, it was like one foot forward 2 steps back.
    Mam, I love turnip with butter, salt and brown sauce, yum.

Please tell me tomorrow isn't Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,115 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm watching The Den here and surprisingly enjoying it.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,256 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Have you ever gone to a moto gp Grem? If not you should book once things are back to normal, you'd love it.
    Auto, anyone but Hamilton, excellent driver but a pain imo.
    Couchside, got some decluttering done today, still lots of stuff to be dumped but I'm a bit of a hoarder and the others were taking stuff out of the skip also, it was like one foot forward 2 steps back.
    Mam, I love turnip with butter, salt and brown sauce, yum.

Please tell me tomorrow isn't Monday.

It’s not Monday it’s the day before Tuesday ;). Can’t deny Lewis is brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Getting a bad case of the Glenroes.

Been off for a week.

FCNN.gif

That episode of The Den did me good. I thought it would be pants but it was actually really uplifting.
    I think Ray Darcy is much better suited as a children's presenter. He's more natural in that environment.
    The young fellow walked in and asked what it was. I forgot he'd have no idea. He didn't stick around, went back to Tik Tok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Getting a bad case of the Glenroes.

Been off for a week.

FCNN.gif

And no home work done? Better ask your Mam for a note or do what I did and forge one!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I was obviously well clued in to the whole Glenroe thing as this time 32 years ago, I was watching Where in the World (Murphys Micro Quiz"m" before that). Homework was done since Friday. I worked Saturday and Sunday for my parents to raise a few quid for myself and got treated to a chinese takeaway on the way home from work of a Sunday. After Glenroe, I'd sort the school bag and hit the hay. Never ever had the "Glenroes".:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I worked less during school term time so glenroe didn't bother me much either since I only remember that being on during school time..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I worked less during school term time so glenroe didn't bother me much either since I only remember that being on during school time..

Back in the old days. Glenroe ran from September to May. Sure RTE closed for the Summer. Still does.:D

I don't remember Glenroe from my secondary school days only primary so I never had to think about homework.
    In my junior cycle years, I'd be a swot like Grandi and have the homework done on Friday but by senior cycle, I had a social life so homework would be left until last minute on Sundays.

It was never really an issue for me, but then again my Sundays were completely different anyway, with much of the afternoon spent getting back to my boarding school in Austria. The school was closed over the weekend so I spent those with my grandmother and went back on Sunday afternoons, leaving at 3.30-ish and arriving at the school around 7 PM, changing trains twice along the way. Ah, the wonders of trying to get anywhere in a country that's 60% mountains...

I don't remember Glenroe from my secondary school days only primary so I never had to think about homework.
    In my junior cycle years, I'd be a swot like Grandi and have the homework done on Friday but by senior cycle, I had a social life so homework would be left until last minute on Sundays.

You didn't get homework in Primary? You jammy...

There is no way I would have got all my homework done on a Friday . By fourth class I was struggling to complete all my Mon-Thurs stuff done in one evening. By secondary school I just sorta gave up. I'd do the stuff for the scary teachers and the stuff I liked and that would take me till midnight. Th rest was cogged/blagged. I dont think I even opened a maths book once from 5th year. It pisses me off a bit now that I was just labelled as lazy when infact I'd spent about 7 hours on three subjects the night before, but, different times. I'm not sure I'd fare any better now. I think they'd say I'm just not academic but the truth is I'm very academic so I stillwpuld have missed out on third level at 18.

thomil wrote: »
    It was never really an issue for me, but then again my Sundays were completely different anyway, with much of the afternoon spent getting back to my boarding school in Austria. The school was closed over the weekend so I spent those with my grandmother and went back on Sunday afternoons, leaving at 3.30-ish and arriving at the school around 7 PM, changing trains twice along the way. Ah, the wonders of trying to get anywhere in a country that's 60% mountains...

It sound like an Enid Blyton book!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I was obviously well clued in to the whole Glenroe thing as this time 32 years ago, I was watching Where in the World (Murphys Micro Quiz"m" before that). Homework was done since Friday. I worked Saturday and Sunday for my parents to raise a few quid for myself and got treated to a chinese takeaway on the way home from work of a Sunday. After Glenroe, I'd sort the school bag and hit the hay. Never ever had the "Glenroes".:D

Being honest, very similar to my childhood, except it was child labour on the farm with no chinese.

Still have to have a rant on a Sunday evening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭3d4life

It sound like an Enid Blyton book!

It sounds like a good excuse to eat lots of strudel and Sacher-Torte :)

3d4life wrote: »
    It sounds like a good excuse to eat lots of strudel and Sacher-Torte :)

I was never really into Sachertorte, but oh my god, my grandma's apple strudel, that was delicious :):)

The trip wasn't all fairytale though, as the trains tended to be absolutely packed with all kinds of people, particularly on the second leg. I spent most of those journeys sitting in the vestibules of the coaches, right next to the door, because there were just no seats available. Oh, and did I mention that most of the trains in question where beat-up old claptraps from the 1960s and 1970s that hadn't seen any refurbishment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Enjoy, it's an old family recipe.

Anyone else? I've got more than enough.

Raises hand...

• Advertisement

I was never really into Sachertorte, but oh my god, my grandma's apple strudel, that was delicious :):)

The trip wasn't all fairytale though, as the trains tended to be absolutely packed with all kinds of people, particularly on the second leg. I spent most of those journeys sitting in the vestibules of the coaches, right next to the door, because there were just no seats available. Oh, and did I mention that most of the trains in question where beat-up old claptraps from the 1960s and 1970s that hadn't seen any refurbishment?

Your effort to make me feel sorry for you for 'having to endure" railing through the Alps twice a week every week to and from your boarding school has made me pick up the world's tiniest violin. Choking up here.

You didn't get homework in Primary? You jammy...

There is no way I would have got all my homework done on a Friday . By fourth class I was struggling to complete all my Mon-Thurs stuff done in one evening. By secondary school I just sorta gave up. I'd do the stuff for the scary teachers and the stuff I liked and that would take me till midnight. Th rest was cogged/blagged. I dont think I even opened a maths book once from 5th year. It pisses me off a bit now that I was just labelled as lazy when infact I'd spent about 7 hours on three subjects the night before, but, different times. I'm not sure I'd fare any better now. I think they'd say I'm just not academic but the truth is I'm very academic so I stillwpuld have missed out on third level at 18.

What??
    Homework in primary school? That's a first degree offence. Even when my son was in primary only 2 years ago,they never got weekend homework.
    You must have attended a sadistic primary school :(

SnowyMay wrote: »
    Raises hand...

There ya go :) Careful, it's still pretty hot...

Your effort to make me feel sorry for you for 'having to endure" railing through the Alps twice a week every week to and from your boarding school has made me pick up the world's tiniest violin. Choking up here.

:D:D:D

I guess you just don't see the magic anymore once you're used to it. That being said, once the snow really started coming down from late December onwards, it really was absolutely magical...

...until that one time when my train had to be rerouted because just to the north, about a kilometre of railway line had been taken out by an avalanche. It took four months to rebuild the line.

If you go to " Bad Aussee " in Google Maps, you'll be able to see the place and the landscape around there.

What??
    Homework in primary school? That's a first degree offence. Even when my son was in primary only 2 years ago,they never got weekend homework.
    You must have attended a sadistic primary school :(

Yup Mon -Thurs up till 4th, then every day. And that was the norm. Usually had an essay over the weekend.

:D:D:D

I guess you just don't see the magic anymore once you're used to it. That being said, once the snow really started coming down from late December onwards, it really was absolutely magical...

...until that one time when my train had to be rerouted because just to the north, about a kilometre of railway line had been taken out by an avalanche. It took four months to rebuild the line.

Oh no, did you have to travel to Hogwarts on a sleigh pulled by reindeer? Did the bells go jingle?

I'm only messing, thomil. I hope you know that. I'm also very jealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

There ya go :) Careful, it's still pretty hot...

Delicious!! Well, I think my actual noise would have been mffmffyum. :)

Oh no, did you have to travel to Hogwarts on a sleigh pulled by reindeer? Did the bells go jingle?

No, I was TRYING to go back to my parents in Germany for Easter. And yes, we usually had snow until Easter up there, that year, we had about a meter or so of the white stuff on the ground when it happened.

The following summer, when I came back for the next school term, we could see the old tracks, overhead wires and signals lying about a hundred meters below us in a pretty narrow ravine. Quite sobering :eek:
    I'm only messing, thomil. I hope you know that. I'm also very jealous.

Oh don't worry, I get ya ;)

I'll let you in on a secret though: The novelty of living in such a place wears off pretty quickly. I lived in Prague before that, and my school bus route went right through the heart of the city, past most of the major sights. It's absolutely beautiful, and Prague is one of my favourite cities on this planet, but when you're just trying to get home after a long school day and the bus can't move an inch because you're surrounded by herds and herds of tourists, you don't really care about the beauty of the place anymore!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

*hears the word food and peeks in*

r3mqytk.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭3d4life

....until that one time when my train had to be rerouted because just to the north, about a kilometre of railway line had been taken out by an avalanche...

Now sounds more Agatha Christie than Enid Blyton :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement