Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone notice the rollout of segregated alcohol in supermarkets?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,568 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I have to say when you go through the saloon doors the first thing you want to do is take your hands out of your pockets and do a fake gun draw with your hands, it feels like you are in the wild west.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Not sure if this is the place to mention this but I have noticed in some of my local supermarkets this week, a seemingly well organised rollout of gated/ segregated closing off of the alcohol section but no mention of it any where in the media. Looks as though it may be coordinated as communicated nationwide amongst retailers. Anyone else confirm this is happening in their area? Currently observed in Waterford.

With retailers currently barricading 'non-essential' aisles in supermarkets during lockdown, could these permanent structures that are being installed in alcohol aisles signal a more permanent use of the lockdown strategy in the future?

Nothing to do with COVID but actually to with retailers not being allowed to sell and promote alcohol in the same section as food.

It’s been on the cards past 2 years with Tesco and Aldi doing a lot of refits.

Source: insider knowledge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Nothing to do with COVID but actually to with retailers not being allowed to sell and promote alcohol in the same section as food.

It’s been on the cards past 2 years with Tesco and Aldi doing a lot of refits.

Source: insider knowledge.

Would this apply to standalone off licences that sell things like crisps and minerals in addition to alcohol? Also places like Spar and Centra which sell alcohol but probably wouldn't have the space to segragate it from the rest of the shop.

Shops already are required to as much as possible segragate alcohol from groceries. For example they can't have slabs of guiness in with the nappies or the cereal. They are not allowed put it in a place where you have to walk through the booze section to get to something else either but there is some common sense apllied if it's small shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭KaneToad

More people need to get their heads around this idea regarding a lot of things. Always looking someone else to blame.

All joking aside some people are just not very intelligent. Some people are not very good at coping. Some people are not capable of long term thinking. Some people have brain chemistry that encourages overly risky behaviour.

I think it's reasonable that we should do all we can to help these people. It's better for all of us if we do. Leaving these people off to do whatever they like can have disastrous consequences for them/their families and eventually our society.

KaneToad wrote: »
    All joking aside some people are just not very intelligent. Some people are not very good at coping. Some people are not capable of long term thinking. Some people have brain chemistry that encourages overly risky behaviour.

I think it's reasonable that we should do all we can to help these people. It's better for all of us if we do. Leaving these people off to do whatever they like can have disastrous consequences for them/their families and eventually our society.

No, the mongs should never determine what can or can’t be done by the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,492 ✭✭✭✭elperello

KaneToad wrote: »

I agree that people who need help should get it.

At the same time I don't see how interfering with my shopping experience and making me pay more for my drink will help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

GT89 wrote: »
    Would this apply to standalone off licences that sell things like crisps and minerals in addition to alcohol? Also places like Spar and Centra which sell alcohol but probably wouldn't have the space to segragate it from the rest of the shop.

Shops already are required to as much as possible segragate alcohol from groceries. For example they can't have slabs of guiness in with the nappies or the cereal. They are not allowed put it in a place where you have to walk through the booze section to get to something else either but there is some common sense apllied if it's small shop.

It applies to all alcohol sales regardless of premises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Honestly, the obsession with making alcohol out to be the root of all evil in this country and adding silly restrictions to how and when we can buy is just crazy at this stage. It's not an illegal substance, why are we treating it like one. Other countries don't have such restrictions and they mange perfectly. Making it illegal to buy a beer in a shop after 10pm is hilarious, what are they achieving only losing out on taxable euros. No-ones business if we want to wake up at 4am and go down Tescos for a can of lager. Yet we can go stuff our faces all day long on Big Macs and the likes and suffer all kinds of health problems from fast food, but that's ok, makes sense alright. I'm ranting now!

I don't believe it's the governments responsibility to determine when we can and can't buy a can of beer, it's not their jobs to try stop those who abuse alcohol so they need to stop acting like it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,568 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dunnes and Aldi now have them too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

sligojoek wrote: »
    It worked a treat with tobacco products. Drive by any secondary school at lunchtime and you'll see what i mean

Theyre all at the vaping isnt it

Don't approve of the new saloons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Only here and the UK is there a debate on buying booze. It’s not an issue anywhere else.
    I guess people can’t go without for a while. How bloody difficult can it be...
    But if people want to stock up let them at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tjdaly

All part of The Great Reset OP

Starting to warm to the saloons.

That aisle is a little place of calm now.

Nobody speeding through with loaded trolley heading full steam for the checkout.

I can browse in comfort, I think I might buy more not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Not sure if this is the place to mention this but I have noticed in some of my local supermarkets this week, a seemingly well organised rollout of gated/ segregated closing off of the alcohol section but no mention of it any where in the media. Looks as though it may be coordinated as communicated nationwide amongst retailers. Anyone else confirm this is happening in their area? Currently observed in Waterford.

With retailers currently barricading 'non-essential' aisles in supermarkets during lockdown, could these permanent structures that are being installed in alcohol aisles signal a more permanent use of the lockdown strategy in the future?

Yes noticed in Supervalue Castletroy Limerick and Aldi, Dublin Road Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When we were kids growing up in the 80s, my brother and I were often passed off to an auntie or an uncle on a Saturday to be 'minded'. This sometimes meant an afternoon in the pub, being ployed with Big Bother Red Lemonade and Kp peanuts.

Seems like a lot of effort just so they could get a ride once a week :p
    beachhead wrote: »
    That has always been the law since shops were allowed sell alcohol.The shops are allowed same hours as pubs but they should close the alco sales one hour before pubs(a lot don't).

Off-licences with pub licences (which is most of them) were allowed sell right up to pub closing time until a few years back when the publicans lobbied to get it knocked back to 10pm, and of course the TDs (none of whom would own pubs, cause that would be a conflict of interest :rolleyes: ) were more than happy to oblige.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't think there is any danger of a scarcity of drink in Ireland.

The National Income and Expenditure Annual Results show that €7.447 billion was spent on alcoholic beverages (including pubs) in 2018.

That's about €2,000 for every adult.

That's because of the outrageous level of taxation on alcohol in this country, we're about 90% above EU average prices and second only to Finland.

Consumption is average and has been falling for the last 20 years.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

elperello wrote: »

That aisle is a little place of calm now.

Nobody speeding through with loaded trolley heading full steam for the checkout.

I can browse in comfort, I think I might buy more not less.

Completely agree. Bought a bottle of whiskey in Aldi the other day because I had time in that area that normally you’d be pushed up against with someone milking through ya to get to the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I'm a bit angry about this legislation, and the push for more.

Some small puritan group has imposed this against the will of the general population. And they're only going to continue to push further.

It's dictatorship by the minority

https://medium.com/incerto/the-most-intolerant-wins-the-dictatorship-of-the-small-minority-3f1f83ce4e15

Most people are against but not enough to lobby on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

elperello wrote: »

Whenever I go through the saloon doors I'm disappointed that nobody says "Just passin' through, pardner?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

YFlyer wrote: »
    Yes noticed in Supervalue Castletroy Limerick and Aldi, Dublin Road Limerick.

Lidl Ennis Road had nothing last night, Dunnes across the road had saloon doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Allinall

This affects me not in the slightest, and I buy alcohol regularly in supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Was in my local Lidl last night and there were no changes at all.

Good to see.

Country has lost the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm pretty sure all of our TDs voted in favour of this, and minimum unit pricing. An absolute embarrassment, being treated like kids while our Euro neighbours can sell alcohol anywhere at any time. Even in London you can buy beer 24 hours.
    It's f*cking scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭champchamp

I'm pretty sure all of our TDs voted in favour of this, and minimum unit pricing. An absolute embarrassment, being treated like kids while our Euro neighbours can sell alcohol anywhere at any time. Even in London you can buy beer 24 hours.
    It's f*cking scandalous.

Thank the VFI lobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It's f*cking scandalous.

The same TDs who won't give up their taxpayer subsidised bar in their workplace.

And people wonder why politicians are despised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's all on Alcohol Action Ireland. A shady lobby group who are bizarrely funded out of the Health Budget. They are a group of about 10 people who a paid by the government to call for more restrictions on alcohol.

All of their "studies" and "research" basically involve them strolling into shops, jotting down the prices of alcohol and trying to calculate how cheap you can get drunk on. Some of their findings have been skeptical to say the least.

NPHET Junta Leader General Tony Hoolihan has been known to cavort with Alcohol Action Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

storker wrote: »
    Whenever I go through the saloon doors I'm disappointed that nobody says "Just passin' through, pardner?"

Does this piano player stop and everyone turns around and stares at you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's all on Alcohol Action Ireland. A shady lobby group who are bizarrely funded out of the Health Budget. They are a group of about 10 people who a paid by the government to call for more restrictions on alcohol.

All of their "studies" and "research" basically involve them strolling into shops, jotting down the prices of alcohol and trying to calculate how cheap you can get drunk on. Some of their findings have been skeptical to say the least.

NPHET Junta Leader General Tony Hoolihan has been known to cavort with Alcohol Action Ireland

So basically they think some PVC doors and an "aisle of shame" will deter purchase of drink? :D

It's f*cking scandalous.

You are correct.

Everyone of them except one Senator stitched us up because they think they know what's best for us.

Please don't forget that when they ask you not to forget them.

The one exception was Prof. Sean Barrett who rightly identified the fact that the extra money we will be paying will go to the drinks industry. Insult to injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

So basically they think some PVC doors and an "aisle of shame" will deter purchase of drink? :D

Basically, yes :pac:

https://twitter.com/AlcoholIreland/status/1326800926397575169?s=19

They are absolute nutters and for some reason when they sneeze they media lap up them up as the voice of alcohol.

I was breezing through their accounts earlier. Their total income for 2018 was 278k. 252k comes from the health service. Another 26k comes from their offshoot groups who don't declare their income, which are run by themselves too. That's a bit strange.

They manage to raise a total of €1,300 themselves. 173k gets spent on the wages of 3 people and their pensions.

What do we get for 250k?
    They release statements praising the government for implementing alcohol restrictions and then walk around shops jotting down prices.

Theres a scandal there but the media won't touch the NGOs/Lobbyists because they all want jobs in the industry.

https://alcoholireland.ie/reports/

Advertisement