Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone notice the rollout of segregated alcohol in supermarkets?

Options
  • 03-11-2020 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the place to mention this but I have noticed in some of my local supermarkets this week, a seemingly well organised rollout of gated/ segregated closing off of the alcohol section but no mention of it any where in the media. Looks as though it may be coordinated as communicated nationwide amongst retailers. Anyone else confirm this is happening in their area? Currently observed in Waterford.

With retailers currently barricading 'non-essential' aisles in supermarkets during lockdown, could these permanent structures that are being installed in alcohol aisles signal a more permanent use of the lockdown strategy in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Not sure if this is the place to mention this but I have noticed in some of my local supermarkets this week, a seemingly well organised rollout of gated/ segregated closing off of the alcohol section but no mention of it any where in the media. Looks as though it may be coordinated as communicated nationwide amongst retailers. Anyone else confirm this is happening in their area? Currently observed in Waterford.

With retailers currently barricading 'non-essential' aisles in supermarkets during lockdown, could these permanent structures that are being installed in alcohol aisles signal a more permanent use of the lockdown strategy in the future?

No, other than the usual barricading of alcohol outside of legal trading hours (particularly sundays), I haven't noticed this and I would be in multiple stores daily due to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nickla

Its nothing to do with Covid or lockdowns - its to do with the Public Health (alcohol) Act 2018 which comes into effect on the 12th november 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I have some tinfoil for sale if youv run out OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

ASOT wrote: »

Newly implemented rules about when I can buy booze - when is it now? I’m used to the flight of mercy to the supermarket just before 10pm - am I going to have to start sprinting sooner? Please tell! I hate to be beaten by nanny state.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Grant Stevens

Nickla wrote: »
    Its nothing to do with Covid or lockdowns - its to do with the Public Health (alcohol) Act 2018 which comes into effect on the 12th november 2020.

Ok, thank you for clarifying! That's good to hear. Sounds like they're implementing it at. the 11th hour lol

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »

Leave it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭con747

A lot of people saying they have found "saloon" type doors on the entrance and exit of alcohol aisles. A couple of threads mention them.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭neris

Local Tesco has it in but neither of the Lidl branches close by have done anything

con747 wrote: »
    A lot of people saying they have found "saloon" type doors on the entrance and exit of alcohol aisles. A couple of threads mention them.

Yes, that's what I've been seeing here at Aldi/ lIDL/ Dunnes. I didn't see the other threads, will take a look, thanks :)

What exactly do they think these doors will achieve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,185 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

con747 wrote: »

Yes spotted them in 2 Tesco stores, I thought they were supposed to segregate the aisle so there was no visibility of what was on sale?

On a side note I've noticed Tesco have placed the non-alcohol just beer outside the saloon doors. I was thinking there was far too much money being spent on making the non-alcohol beer look flash, there had to be a reason behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Sounds like a “nudge” strategy, a bit of psychology: make the buyer feel that buying alcohol is “crossing a line” of some sort.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    Sounds like a “nudge” strategy, a bit of psychology: make the buyer feel that buying alcohol is “crossing a line” of some sort.

Spent many years in Australia, out there the supermarkets cannot sell booze. It's usually sold out of an adjoining 'liquor' store (liquorland/ dan murphys/ bottle 'o' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Nickla wrote: »
    For anyone who doesn't know, this is what is coming in to effect next week:
    From 12 November 2020:

Section 22: In mixed retail outlets alcohol products and advertising are confined to one of the following: an area separated by a 1.2 metre high barrier, or units in which alcohol products are not visible up to 1.5 metres height, or up to three units that can be a maximum of 1 metre wide by 2.2 metres high.

In addition, alcohol products can be contained but not be visible in a unit behind the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Welcome to the brave new world of neo-prohibitionism.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I was in one today in Tesco. You gotta push through barrier gates to get in. It's makes the alcohol aisles like a safe space playpen for grown ups. I like.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Spent many years in Australia, out there the supermarkets cannot sell booze. It's usually sold out of an adjoining 'liquor' store (liquorland/ dan murphys/ bottle 'o' etc.

Supermarkets here in Canada can't sell booze either. In Manitoba it's the Mantiboa Liquors and Lotteries or Beers Stores.
    The beer stores can't sell wine or 'hard liquor', just beer, cider and alcopop type drinks. Plus they all have to be attached to a hotel. Kind of odd but it's been this way for years. Everyone here is just used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

It's no harm for us, as a society, to try to reduce our collective intake of alcohol. Whether removing alcohol from sight, and making it less normalised, is a successful exercise remains to be seen.

Worth a try...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

It's not really much different from when they put the cigarettes into those non branded cupboards behind the counter so?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

KaneToad wrote: »
    It's no harm for us, as a society, to try to reduce our collective intake of alcohol. Whether removing alcohol from sight, and making it less normalised, is a successful exercise remains to be seen.

Worth a try...

Just what we need right now - another lecture on what is good for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Feets

humberklog wrote: »
    I was in one today in Tesco. You gotta push through barrier gates to get in. It's makes the alcohol aisles like a safe space playpen for grown ups. I like.

The tesco I go to moved it so you can access it easier and Im assuming earlier. It makes me happy because I shop early. No reason it should ever have been sectioned off right in the middle of the alcohol section.

KaneToad wrote: »

Worth a try...

Nothing wrong with alcohol, just with the people who make everything an issue for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's the stupidest bit of empty gesturing and virtue signalling I've seen in a while. Absolutely ridiculous.

Heineken Champions Cup, Guinness Pro14, Guinness 6 Nations etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

increased ladder sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It's the stupidest bit of empty gesturing and virtue signalling I've seen in a while. Absolutely ridiculous.

Heineken Champions Cup, Guinness Pro14, Guinness 6 Nations etc etc

100%...

More of this wankathon, virtue signaling absolute flakey, see through drivel.

a load of posturing hokey wokey bs. You need to walk through doors to enter a supermarket, walking through another set is fûck all of a deterrent to somebody who wants to buy alcohol. If they are going for the out of sight out of mind approach yet now anybody who sees the doors... ‘ ohhh the drink isle, might take a look out of curiosity ‘

neris wrote: »
    Local Tesco has it in but neither of the Lidl branches close by have done anything

All supermarkets must have them up by the 12th of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

That was more of a 3 way battle between the state government, the AHA, and the supermarkets. Supermarkets won, they just set up their own liquor shops and outpriced the pubs so the pubs with bottle shops attached lost out. Woolworths and westfarmers basically control the whole of the off license market. It didn't take them long to move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I literally only learned yesterday that you can't buy alcohol before 10.30am in supermarkets.

I was whistling intentionally loudly in the local Supervalu yesterday morning getting all the necessary items for a beef n stout stew and upon placing a cold can of Murphy's down on the checkout belt the check out lady croaked "its too early for the beer". I recoiled in horror momentarily interpreting this as some sort of personal insult when she quickly followed up with "we don't serve alcohol until half ten". Are you serious? says I. Yeah seriously says she.

I stormed off. (I didn't storm off, I just quietly left with the remaining shopping items)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

humberklog wrote: »

Does it play dramatic music as you enter ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's like the curtained-off area in the video store where "those sort of videos" were.

As mentioned above, virtue signalling twattery.

Advertisement