Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone notice the rollout of segregated alcohol in supermarkets?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Was in Aldi earlier. No doors from the main supermarket area into the den of iniquity, but those saloon doors were at the end near the tills. Anyway, who cares it's just another control measure in our lives. As long as we can still buy the stuff it's all good.

Wonder how the "shop local to support your local business" operations like Spar/Mace and so on will cope. Hope there are exemptions for small ops like these.

champchamp wrote: »
    Thank the VFI lobby.

The irony is that the pubs have been closed for months, but the off sales are booming. The opposite of the intention I think :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I only realised this was a thing because of this thread. I was in dunnes, tescos and obriens yesterday getting my Xmas whisky and didn't even notice. Who cares?

Lidl in Tallaght village have had this for donkeys, I quite like the privacy.

elperello wrote: »
    Starting to warm to the saloons.

That aisle is a little place of calm now.

Nobody speeding through with loaded trolley heading full steam for the checkout.

I can browse in comfort, I think I might buy more not less.

I work in a busy supermarket off licence. Its far from a little place of calm. The barriers cause a crowd to build up around the gates trying to get in and out, less space for social distancing. It's much harder to actually work in there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Nothing in my local supervalu, full pallets of slabs out on the floor, moreso than usual. Maybe they're creating a barrier out of cans...

24 carlsberg for €25, how bad

• Advertisement

I work in a busy supermarket off licence. Its far from a little place of calm. The barriers cause a crowd to build up around the gates trying to get in and out, less space for social distancing. It's much harder to actually work in there now.

Home delivery is purchaser's friend here. Our local off license has a great selection of everything, and especially stocks our favourites. A small mark up compared to supermarket + E2 delivery charge, but look it, phone up, place order, pay by card and delivery within half an hour.

Great thing is the neighbours think it's a food takeaway lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Won't someone please think of the intentionally posed children?

Won't someone please think of the intentionally posed children?

Those kids should be at school. The rest of us are isolating in Level 5 for them to keep their parents sane and the hospitals relatively able to cope.

Manipulation central going on here. Honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Ah ffs, can we not be trusted to do anything or to think for ourselves without politicians butting their noises in trying to make life better for us ? Is there going to be another section cordoned off for soft drinks, crisps and biscuits, sweets and chocolate ? Why aren't the anti-obesity lobby looking for this too. This surely highlights the idea that alcohol is so bad for us that it needs to be sold separately rather than go having it as a normal drink for normal people. Why do I need to buy my wine/beer almost under cover yet Mary with 3 overweight kids can buy multipacks of cheap crisps openly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ah ffs, can we not be trusted to do anything or to think for ourselves without politicians butting their noises in trying to make life better for us ? Is there going to be another section cordoned off for soft drinks, crisps and biscuits, sweets and chocolate ? Why aren't the anti-obesity lobby looking for this too. This surely highlights the idea that alcohol is so bad for us that it needs to be sold separately rather than go having it as a normal drink for normal people. Why do I need to buy my wine/beer almost under cover yet Mary with 3 overweight kids can buy multipacks of cheap crisps openly ?

Because the country is full of virtue signalling w*nkbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Why aren't the anti-obesity lobby looking for this too.

They could probably just push for narrowed aisles.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Granadino wrote: »
    Only here and the UK is there a debate on buying booze. It’s not an issue anywhere else.
    I guess people can’t go without for a while. How bloody difficult can it be...
    But if people want to stock up let them at it.
    You've obviously never been in any of the Nordic countries! Or the US, Canada, Australia, NZ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I love watching drinkers get upset because there's new regulations or physical barriers to alcohol purchases now. At least ye can still buy it legally...

Quackster wrote: »
    You've obviously never been in any of the Nordic countries! Or the US, Canada, Australia, NZ...

Where they have drive thru bottle shops and then wonder why they have a drink driving problem?

I love watching drinkers get upset because there's new regulations or physical barriers to alcohol purchases now. At least ye can still buy it legally...

Because Prohibition worked a treat, didn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Because Prohibition worked a treat, didn't it?

I don't disagree. In fact, I completely agree prohibition was a complete failure and just would never work. My reference was to my favourite and only method of inebriation still being illegal despite... I'm just not gonna bother. You get the gist.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭delboythedub

Think it was not a great idea for the government to Sell alcohol licence to any local Cornor shop / petrol station etc. Love me pints but alcohol selling outlets need to be controlled better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

What exactly do they think these doors will achieve?

Theyll keep toddlers from guzzling all the alcohol.

If they have swing doors they better goddamn have sarsaparilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

Does this piano player stop and everyone turns around and stares at you?

...and somewhere in the background Doc Holliday is saying "...I disapprove of his very existence. I considered ending it myself on several occasions but...self control got the better of me."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't disagree. In fact, I completely agree prohibition was a complete failure and just would never work. My reference was to my favourite and only method of inebriation still being illegal despite... I'm just not gonna bother. You get the gist.

Just a small but important point, a lot of us drink for other reasons besides getting inebriated.

You can enjoy a nice cold beer on a Summers day or a little whiskey by the fire in Winter or a glass of wine with dinner all without becoming even a little tipsy.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

My local Lidl has installed see-through doors that open automagically. Being see-though doesn't meet the regulations IMO.

And being automatic makes it all too easy for all the numpties to queue for the check-out though the alcohol aisle, keeping the doors open. All very pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Quackster wrote: »
    My local Lidl has installed see-through doors that open automagically. Being see-though doesn't meet the regulations IMO.

And being automatic makes it all too easy for all the numpties to queue for the check-out though the alcohol aisle, keeping the doors open. All very pointless.

They are just missing the advertisements on them...

Speaking of which, if your not allowed see into them, then why are we allowed to look into pubs and local off licences. The windows should be removed from all, ASAP. (that's a joke by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭3d4life

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    They are just missing the advertisements on them...

Speaking of which, if your not allowed see into them, then why are we allowed to look into pubs and local off licences. The windows should be removed from all, ASAP. (that's a joke by the way)

Maybe a joke but isnt that what happens in some of the U S of A ?

( BTW That Lidl gear probably comes from the fatherland - regulations probably lost something in translation ... )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭elperello

3d4life wrote: »
    Maybe a joke but isnt that what happens in some of the U S of A ?

( BTW That Lidl gear probably comes from the fatherland - regulations probably lost something in translation ... )

In some parts of the US you can't buy a drink at all.

They call them dry counties. No bars, liquor stores not even a drink in a hotel.

You will know when you come to the county line (boundary with next county) there will usually be a couple of liquor stores.

You can take the drink back into the dry county and drink your fill.

elperello wrote: »
    In some parts of the US you can't buy a drink at all.

They call them dry counties. No bars, liquor stores not even a drink in a hotel.

You will know when you come to the county line (boundary with next county) there will usually be a couple of liquor stores.

You can take the drink back into the dry county and drink your fill.

In a country populated by nutters, this comes as no great surprise.

ASOT wrote: »
    I have some tinfoil for sale if youv run out OP.

Feeling a bit foolish now, eh??

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭3d4life

Cant be long 'till Brown Bagging is the norm in this country too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Have a look at this link. I know its awhile off but it needs to be addressed.

https://customer-service.lidl.ie/SelfServiceIE/s/article/What-time-do-Lidl-start-selling-alcohol-1593336827610

• Advertisement

I seen directly into one in a SuperValu today and I didn’t even have 27 cans and beat the Mrs when I got home. Strange.

Advertisement