Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone notice the rollout of segregated alcohol in supermarkets?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,071 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Aegir wrote: »
    so the "Barnie and Friends Summer Football Camp, brought to you in association with Jameson" will have to end?

They’ll have a Jameson and friends summer camp, brought to you, in association with Barney..

poor-drunken-barney

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Del2005 wrote: »
    They won't sell you the alcohol at the tills. More nanny state rules, if the store thinks the alcohol will be consumed by a minor they can't sell it.

That is not just Ireland happened to my mother in Britian and the USA because not all had ID

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Spent many years in Australia, out there the supermarkets cannot sell booze. It's usually sold out of an adjoining 'liquor' store (liquorland/ dan murphys/ bottle 'o' etc.

Some Tesco and Dunnes used to be like that. The Tesco in Stillorgan has a separate off licence although it now you buy alcohol in the main supermarket same with the Dunnes in Cornelscourt and the off licence in the Tesco in Sandymount used to have it's own separate door with it's own till but is joined up with the rest of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭beachhead

I literally only learned yesterday that you can't buy alcohol before 10.30am in supermarkets.

I was whistling intentionally loudly in the local Supervalu yesterday morning getting all the necessary items for a beef n stout stew and upon placing a cold can of Murphy's down on the checkout belt the check out lady croaked "its too early for the beer". I recoiled in horror momentarily interpreting this as some sort of personal insult when she quickly followed up with "we don't serve alcohol until half ten". Are you serious? says I. Yeah seriously says she.

I stormed off. (I didn't storm off, I just quietly left with the remaining shopping items)

That has always been the law since shops were allowed sell alcohol.The shops are allowed same hours as pubs but they should close the alco sales one hour before pubs(a lot don't).I've see Alcos demanding their rights at 10pm on a Sunday.Try knocking on your offie door before 10.30am.Try buying it on a Sunday before 12.30pm .Tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,954 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Alcohol can be bad, but what they really need to get a tackle on is gambling advertising, RTE seems to run constant ads for that devils work.

And Lottery ads too, it's as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Righty so you cant move in places for offers of drink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

sligojoek wrote: »
    It worked a treat with tobacco products. Drive by any secondary school at lunchtime and you'll see what i mean

Teens / Schoolkids smoking isn't a fraction of what it used to be though.
    There'll always be a few but these days they're a small minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

KaneToad wrote: »
    It's no harm for us, as a society, to try to reduce our collective intake of alcohol. Whether removing alcohol from sight, and making it less normalised, is a successful exercise remains to be seen.

Worth a try...

What exactly are we trying?

"Yeah I fancied a bottle of red, but they got those damned saloon doors. I think I'll leave it. Lemonade it is." said nobody ever.

It is more 'be seen to be doing something' government stuff, providing a purposeless inconvenience to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

In Spain you can buy €1 litre bottles of San Miguel beer in your local Dealz...
    https://dealz.es/cerveza-san-miguel/

Or a pint and a Big Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Alcohol can be bad, but what they really need to get a tackle on is gambling advertising, RTE seems to run constant ads for that devils work.

More nannying.

If you don’t want to gamble then ignore the ad and don’t. Pretty simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

topper75 wrote: »
    What exactly are we trying?

"Yeah I fancied a bottle of red, but they got those damned saloon doors. I think I'll leave it. Lemonade it is." said nobody ever.

It is more 'be seen to be doing something' government stuff, providing a purposeless inconvenience to people.

Exactly - shít like this does precisely nothing to deter problem drinkers, just like the 10pm nonsense, all it does is annoy everyone else.

Does any really think even 1 single alco ever looked at their watch and said "Shít, it's 5 past ten, i suppose i'll just have a coffee"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

mdwexford wrote: »
    More nannying.

My point being why clamp down on fags and drink but leave something equally as bad(if not worse), I personally feel rte should not be taking advertisements from bookies, the same way I think RTE shouldn’t have ads from sex chat lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Just what we need right now - another lecture on what is good for us.

Some people find the truth uncomfortable. Some are just unaware.

The health impact of alcohol consumption in Ireland:

88 deaths every month in Ireland are directly attributable to alcohol.

One in four deaths of young men aged 15-39 in Ireland is due to alcohol.

There are almost twice as many deaths due to alcohol in Ireland as due to all other drugs combined.

Alcohol was implicated in 1 in 3 (137) of all poisoning deaths in 2013, more than any other single drug, and alcohol poisoning alone claimed one life each week.
    900 people in Ireland are diagnosed with alcohol-related cancers and around 500 people die from these diseases every year.

One in eight female breast cancer diagnosis in Ireland are directly attributable to alcohol.

Alcohol is a factor in half of all suicides in Ireland.

Alcohol is also involved in over a third of cases of deliberate self-harm, peaking around weekends and public holidays.

Drink-driving is a factor in two fifths of all deaths on Irish roads.

Alcohol is a factor in one third of all drownings in Ireland.

More than one in four of those attending accident and emergency departments have alcohol”‘related injuries, almost half of which occurred to people aged under 30.

Alcohol is a factor in one in four traumatic brain injuries.

Alcohol is a factor in 80% of cases of patients admitted to neurosurgery units following an assault.
    Chronic alcohol-related conditions are becoming increasingly common among young age groups.

Alcoholic liver disease (ALD) rates are increasing rapidly in Ireland and the greatest level of increase is among 15-to-34-year-olds, who historically had the lowest rates of liver disease.

Analysis of data from Ireland’s Hospital In-Patient Enquiry (HIPE) scheme showed that the rate of ALD discharges increased by 247% for 15 to 34-year-olds and by 224% for 35 to 49-year-olds between 1995 and 2007.

Alcohol-related admissions to acute hospitals doubled between 1995 and 2008.

Alcohol-related deaths also increased during the same period, from 3.8 deaths per 100,000 to 7.1 deaths per 100,000.

St Vincent’s Hospital in Dublin saw a 335pc increase in admissions with alcoholic liver disease between 1995 and 2010.

Over 14,000 people were admitted to the liver unit in St Vincent’s Hospital for the treatment of alcohol dependence in 2011.

Every day, 1,500 beds in our hospitals are occupied by people with alcohol-related problems.

If these new measures in supermarkets help reduce our alcohol consumption, it can only be a positive. If.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

^ I’d say a good chunk of these people are the absolute no hopers who’d drink turpentine and hand santizer to keep the shakes away. No amount of saloon doors will stop them killing themselves.

Though the “it’s Wine o’clock” ladies would really want to watch out too, get the feeling there are loads of alco women, who think nothing of swigging a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc per night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

KungPao wrote: »
    ^ I’d say a good chunk of these people are the absolute no hopers who’d drink turpentine and hand santizer to keep the shakes away. No amount of saloon doors will stop them killing themselves.

Though the “it’s Wine o’clock” ladies would really want to watch out too, get the feeling there are loads of alco women, who think nothing of swigging a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc per night.

Seen one in my local Tesco a couple of weeks ago with her phone resting between he shoulder and ear talking away while casually stockpiling one of those smaller trolleys with at least six bottles of wine. I didn't see any other item in the trolley.

Made me feel slightly better in myself for getting a slab of beer that I will tap into occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I dislike when people blame alcohol like the above long list. It is people we are talking about. So the question should really be what drives indidivuals to over consume alchol reguarily. The research is there. Some show a possible familial genteic disposition , others it is the dysfunctional family or personal issues that have never been resolved. Why isnt the money being put where it is needed in alchol counselling and rehab? There have been also many new treatments that have come online in the last decade including new harm reduction models.
    Banning/restricting alcohol without the other is just sticking a plaster over the original wound.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Seen one in my local Tesco a couple of weeks ago with her phone resting between he shoulder and ear talking away while casually stockpiling one of those smaller trolleys with at least six bottles of wine. I didn't see any other item in the trolley.

Made me feel slightly better in myself for getting a slab of beer that I will tap into occasionally.

In fairness to Tesco theyve had some decent 6 for €50 & 6 for €40 deals on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

Scarcity just creates panic buying and stock piling. Anyone caught looking for a few cans by the 10pm curfew never makes that mistake again, sitting on a few cases of beer just in case. There's never been so much booze in my house, and with best before dates fast approaching I'm going to have to start gargling it.

If it was going to hurt their business do you think the massive drinks companies with all their lobbying power would allow these sort of measures to come to pass? Their market research and consumer behavior studies tells them people buy more and drink more at home and it's a more profitable channel for them to sell into. This is great for their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't think there is any danger of a scarcity of drink in Ireland.

The National Income and Expenditure Annual Results show that €7.447 billion was spent on alcoholic beverages (including pubs) in 2018.

That's about €2,000 for every adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Is there still the lads with the stalls selling newspapers on O'Connell street in Dublin that do the sneaky flagons of cider at 4 in the morning?
    Lifesavers, they were, when you were between Fibbers and someone's gaff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭valoren

So it's likely an attempt to gently dissuade people from drinking? Yet you go home and watch TV and there's a Smithwicks Ad with a Pint parodying Julia Roberts by saying "I'm just a Pint, standing in front of you, asking you to drink me".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

When we were kids growing up in the 80s, my brother and I were often passed off to an auntie or an uncle on a Saturday to be 'minded'. This sometimes meant an afternoon in the pub, being ployed with Big Bother Red Lemonade and Kp peanuts.

A few years ago my younger brother recollected to me how he remembered the pubs used to leave peanuts on the tables for patrons, how nice that was. He was horrified when I told him that the pubs never did that in Ireland, but I do remember sucking the salt off the peanuts and leaving the nut in the Ash tray. He was disgusted :)

I beg to differ! During the summer holidays ehen rovings bands of kids would be ‘minded’ in the pubs in the likes of summer seatowns, ‘quality’ pubs would leave troughs of peanuts out. Bizarrely, always in ‘clean’ ashtrays.Happy memories. As well as collections of beermats!

Will this barricading and blindfolding of the weak extend to the Dáil bar? And will they make them pay cash each time or will they still let themselves run up an annual bar tab? Because they’re worth it ...

Personally I find myself buying more to have it handy just in case someone drips over or I need to be sociable. Lets face it - at e6 a bottle for Australian shiraz in Lidl ( and its lovely) why wpild I run the gauntlet at 10pm when I can be huddled up from 7 having a cosy drink. No point in waiting til I need it of the govt is going to P**** around with me whilst keeping a taxpayer subsidised private bar going IN WORk for themselves while they pass these riduculous laws

• Registered Users Posts: 25,071 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

And Lottery ads too, it's as bad.

Paddy Power, Mr green, 888.... bookmakers

A few sensible bets do no harm, neither do a few drinks consumed in moderation.

mdwexford wrote: »
    More nannying.

More people need to get their heads around this idea regarding a lot of things. Always looking someone else to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,340 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is there still the lads with the stalls selling newspapers on O'Connell street in Dublin that do the sneaky flagons of cider at 4 in the morning?
    Lifesavers, they were, when you were between Fibbers and someone's gaff.

wait, what? how did i never know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This is designed to embarrass people going through the saloon doors to the Grotto of Alcohol. But no one will care in the end.

The more we don't care about it and shrug it off the better imv. Useless project.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Allinall

What exactly do they think these doors will achieve?

They keep out the draught.

wait, what? how did i never know that?

Secret knowledge. They’d be set up very early for the first editions of the Sunday papers. But they’d have a stash of flagons of Linden Village under their crates. Charged a bit of a premium, but you wouldn’t be complaining when you wanted to keep the session going at that ungodly hour.

This is designed to embarrass people going through the saloon doors to the Grotto of Alcohol. But no one will care in the end.

Now that I’m hidden behind a mask, I’m not embarrassed by anything I do in the supermarket any more. Buying quiches and everything.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Allinall wrote: »
    They keep out the draught.

:D:D:D

Advertisement