Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone notice the rollout of segregated alcohol in supermarkets?

Options

Comments

Women and children will burst into flames if they get a glimpse of inside the doors.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

In the new year it will be rolled out that alcohol cannot be displayed. Similar to tobacco products.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I literally only learned yesterday that you can't buy alcohol before 10.30am in supermarkets.

I was whistling intentionally loudly in the local Supervalu yesterday morning getting all the necessary items for a beef n stout stew and upon placing a cold can of Murphy's down on the checkout belt the check out lady croaked "its too early for the beer". I recoiled in horror momentarily interpreting this as some sort of personal insult when she quickly followed up with "we don't serve alcohol until half ten". Are you serious? says I. Yeah seriously says she.

I stormed off. (I didn't storm off, I just quietly left with the remaining shopping items)

They follow the same rules as pubs and off licences. Has always been like that. They used to have to close for the holy hour on Sunday’s too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It's the stupidest bit of empty gesturing and virtue signalling I've seen in a while. Absolutely ridiculous.

Heineken Champions Cup, Guinness Pro14, Guinness 6 Nations etc etc
    In the next stage (November 12th 2021) they are cutting back on advertising (but probably not sponsorship, unless it's a kids event).
    From 12 November 2021:

· Section 15: A prohibition on alcohol advertising in or on a sports area during a sporting event;

at events aimed particularly at children, or at events in which most participants, or competitors, are children.

· Section 16: Alcohol sponsorship of events aimed at children, events which most participants, or competitors, are children and events involving driving or racing motor vehicles is prohibited.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭elperello

MAJJ wrote: »
    Does it play dramatic music as you enter ?

Yes this one -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jHr5JbTeRY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Gumbo wrote: »
    They follow the same rules as pubs and off licences. Has always been like that. They used to have to close for the holy hour on Sunday’s too.

I never knew it. I suppose i've never had reason to get drink so early. For some reason I thought if the doors were open you could buy booze. I guess the partitioning of alcohol shelves in supermarkets is a good idea to avoid these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

There will presumably be a Public Health (Processed Meats) Act in future.

I never knew it. I suppose i've never had reason to get drink so early. For some reason I thought if the doors were open you could buy booze.

Just a further word of warning - they don't serve drink until 12.30 on a Sunday.

In the next stage (November 12th 2021) they are cutting back on advertising (but probably not sponsorship, unless it's a kids event).

so the "Barnie and Friends Summer Football Camp, brought to you in association with Jameson" will have to end?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Gumbo wrote: »
    In the new year it will be rolled out that alcohol cannot be displayed. Similar to tobacco products.

This is the biggest nonsense of the new law. If I were a smoker, I'd know what cigarettes I wanted to buy, so it's irrelevant whether they're on display or not, I'd just ask for my usual brand. But if I wanted to buy a bottle of wine or a few beers I want to be able to see what's available and make a decision based on the choice in front of me, in the same way I would buying a packet of biscuits, for example. Do the idiots who have brought in this law really think that not being able to see the bottles of cheap booze is going to put off the problem drinkers they're trying to target? What it's doing is penalising and inconveniencing the vast majority who are responsible drinkers by treating them like kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It's the stupidest bit of empty gesturing and virtue signalling I've seen in a while. Absolutely ridiculous.

Heineken Champions Cup, Guinness Pro14, Guinness 6 Nations etc etc

Incidentally, all rugby competitions. Have never heard any outrage over their sponsorship though. Yet, Guinness' sponsorship of the hurling championship had to end as part of new legislature.

It shows rugby's relationship with alcohol I suppose.

Zaph wrote: »
    This is the biggest nonsense of the new law. If I were a smoker, I'd know what cigarettes I wanted to buy, so it's irrelevant whether they're on display or not, I'd just ask for my usual brand. But if I wanted to buy a bottle of wine or a few beers I want to be able to see what's available and make a decision based on the choice in front of me, in the same way I would buying a packet of biscuits, for example. Do the idiots who have brought in this law really think that not being able to see the bottles of cheap booze is going to put off the problem drinkers they're trying to target? What it's doing is penalising and inconveniencing the vast majority who are responsible drinkers by treating them like kids.

I agree that these restrictions are nonsense but it's not going to be quite the same as cigarettes.

It's separation not concealment. You will be able to browse the stock.

When it is introduced Minimum Unit Pricing will seriously discriminate against responsible drinkers by making their bottles and cans more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What happens if you are shopping with your children with you, will they have to wait outside the area along with all the other children waiting?

What happens if you are shopping with your children with you, will they have to wait outside the area along with all the other children waiting?

Children won't be excluded from these areas.

Part of the rationale is to reduce the visibility of drink.

These neo-prohibitionists really do think that just looking at bottles on shelves will cause problems for our youth.

They are allowed into pubs and restaurants where "shock/horror" people are actually drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Grant Stevens

When we were kids growing up in the 80s, my brother and I were often passed off to an auntie or an uncle on a Saturday to be 'minded'. This sometimes meant an afternoon in the pub, being ployed with Big Bother Red Lemonade and Kp peanuts.

A few years ago my younger brother recollected to me how he remembered the pubs used to leave peanuts on the tables for patrons, how nice that was. He was horrified when I told him that the pubs never did that in Ireland, but I do remember sucking the salt off the peanuts and leaving the nut in the Ash tray. He was disgusted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

This is so fcuking dumb. I detest this country sometimes.

mdwexford wrote: »

And all of this went through the Dail and the Senate with the full support of all the parties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

On a side note I've noticed Tesco have placed the non-alcohol just beer outside the saloon doors.

N/A beer, even the stuff with 0.00% ABV is still subjected to the 10 pm rule. I tried buying a few N/A beers on Sunday at 12:00 and I was refused the sale.

M

In Spain you can buy €1 litre bottles of San Miguel beer in your local Dealz...
    https://dealz.es/cerveza-san-miguel/

In Spain you can buy €1 litre bottles of San Miguel beer in your local Dealz...
    https://dealz.es/cerveza-san-miguel/

Does Spain have nanny state cut off times?

• Advertisement
    M

It is regionalised based on what the local government decide, some touristy places it's 10pm, some no restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

KaneToad wrote: »
    It's no harm for us, as a society, to try to reduce our collective intake of alcohol. Whether removing alcohol from sight, and making it less normalised, is a successful exercise remains to be seen.

Worth a try...

It worked a treat with tobacco products. Drive by any secondary school at lunchtime and you'll see what i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

mdwexford wrote: »

Agreed , I’ve found myself saying it with too much regularity over the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Strumms wrote: »
    100%...

More of this wankathon, virtue signaling absolute flakey, see through drivel.

a load of posturing hokey wokey bs. You need to walk through doors to enter a supermarket, walking through another set is fûck all of a deterrent to somebody who wants to buy alcohol. If they are going for the out of sight out of mind approach yet now anybody who sees the doors... ‘ ohhh the drink isle, might take a look out of curiosity ‘

Or just a little bit of well intentioned harm reduction?

Calm down everyone..

What's Spain, another sovereign country, got to do with Ireland?

Is Spain the comparable to Ireland? I think if you wanted to compare your be better of with the UK in this regard. Similar drinking culture good and bad.. but even then, comparison is kinda futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

When we were kids growing up in the 80s, my brother and I were often passed off to an auntie or an uncle on a Saturday to be 'minded'. This sometimes meant an afternoon in the pub, being ployed with Big Bother Red Lemonade and Kp peanuts.

A few years ago my younger brother recollected to me how he remembered the pubs used to leave peanuts on the tables for patrons, how nice that was. He was horrified when I told him that the pubs never did that in Ireland, but I do remember sucking the salt off the peanuts and leaving the nut in the Ash tray. He was disgusted :)

I worked in pubs in England in the 80s. That was a big thing on a Sunday morning/lunchtime shift. Bowls of salty nuts, bacon fries and pretzel type things. The idea was to put a "thirst" on a crowd of hungover Paddies. They needn't have bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They won't sell you the alcohol at the tills. More nanny state rules, if the store thinks the alcohol will be consumed by a minor they can't sell it.

Del2005 wrote: »
    They won't sell you the alcohol at the tills. More nanny state rules, if the store thinks the alcohol will be consumed by a minor they can't sell it.

In fairness the 'nanny state' do have a vested interest in reducing the cost associated with alcohol consumption... Are you trying to be obtuse about this? It's not like it's hard to get a drink in Ireland ffs..

km991148 wrote: »
    What's Spain, another sovereign country, got to do with Ireland?

Is Spain the comparable to Ireland? I think if you wanted to compare your be better of with the UK in this regard. Similar drinking culture good and bad.. but even then, comparison is kinda futile.

Sorry teacher. I'll think about what I did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Alcohol can be bad, but what they really need to get a tackle on is gambling advertising, RTE seems to run constant ads for that devils work.

Advertisement