Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Betting MegaThread *** See Mod warning in post #2 & 214***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

I'm going
    Tyrrell Hatton 28/1 to win
    Cameron Smith 80/1 e/w

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I bet Golf on the exchanges. I find the large place offering from the bookies often do not pay well if your golfer is placed. For example Paddy Power are offering 10 places, but the chances are that if your fancy finishes 3-4 shots off, the price gets diluted dramatically and you rarely get any sort of return.

I find the exchanges give better odds and I tend to have a few speculative bets before the start and then weigh in with a few bigger ones after the cut depending on how things are.

For the moment

1st round leader -

Matsuyama
    Poulter
    Wiesberger
    Erik Van Rooyen

Overall

Matsuyama
    Poulter ( small beans at huge prices)
    Danny Willet ( as above)
    Tyrell Hatton
    Jordan Speith
    Patrick Cantlay
    Erik Van Rooyen

I don't bother with top 10 golfers at this stage as they are generally poorly priced. I would rather wait for Mcllroy or Koepke to be 4 shots off on Sunday morning and be priced at 25/1. At least you could argue that he has the class to shoot a final day 64 and win it. You get the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Keopka 20/1 (backed him a few days ago, has shortened since)
    Cantlay 25/1

Kinda fancy DeChambeau but not often someone wins 2 consecutive majors so will give him a miss this time (had him at the US Open).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Shane lowry 100/1 ew
    Matthew Wolf 125/1
    Victor Perez 250/1 ew
    Colin Morikawa 300/1

Though I have a suspicion it will be between Bryson and Day for it on Sunday evening, alas I have not back either :rolleyes:

Jaysis where did you get those odds????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Shane lowry 100/1 ew
    Matthew Wolf 125/1
    Victor Perez 250/1 ew
    Colin Morikawa 300/1

Though I have a suspicion it will be between Bryson and Day for it on Sunday evening, alas I have not back either :rolleyes:

Has Morikawa lost a limb in the last few days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

El Sueño wrote: »
    Has Morikawa lost a limb in the last few days?

Late last year I put a bet on Morikawa to win at least two majors this year. No one's talking about him for this despite already having one major for the year :eek:

Best iron player I've ever seen!

BillyBoy wrote: »
    Did you do Wolf and Morikawa a while ago

Yes, very little on wolf though unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Late last year I put a bet on Morikawa to win at least two majors this year. No one's talking about him for this despite already having one major for the year :eek:

It'd be mad if that bet came in on a year with only 3 majors played. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Yes, very little on wolf though unfortunately.

Ah fair enough. Best of luck with them, two very good young players, they definitely have the talent to win

El Sueño wrote: »
    It'd be mad if that bet came in on a year with only 3 majors played. Best of luck with it!

Looong story.. they cancelled the bet (and never told me) after the reduction in the number of majors, but before Morikawa won major #1. I had to push hard to get the bet reinstated after I found out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Threw a bunch of bets on to keep me interested.

Hadnt put a bet on in an age so Paddy Power put a free €5 in my account based on all the ones I'd lumped on.

So decided to stick my free fiver on Sugrue to be top amateur

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So decided to stick my free fiver on Sugrue to be top amateur
    What price was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

eagle eye wrote: »
    What price was that?

9/2 so nothing spectacular. More just to give a bit of alternative irish support

• Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Lowry 75/1 on bet365 compared to paddy 50/1

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

I suppose on form it’s hard to get away from De Chambeu and Dustin J , Koepka came good last two rounds of Heuston open last weekend and if back to best I think he could be their greatest threat .. Rory is an enigma at this stage but if he was winner on Sunday it wouldn’t be a huge shock .So my bets are Koepka 16/1 Patrick Reed 30/1 , both 10 ew and a few €2.50 ew bets at big price on Champ , Willet and Todd all big prices ..

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Lowry 75/1 on bet365 compared to paddy 50/1

Lowry 120 on exchange and can lay him off if he starts well.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

for anyone looking current form players at big value

Kokrak 110/1
    Zach Zohnson 420/1
    Chez Reavie 920/1
    Schwartzel - 620/1

Obviously Kokrak first time around Augusta but he has one of the best short games on tour.
    Reavies stats are top 20 on tour this year so that price is too big to ignore, oes not have the best masters record though.
    Zach top 5 stats on tour this year - previous winner , again huge price.
    Schwartzel - previous winner. top 15 in my stats this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

No mention of Justin Rose. Was watching some highlights this week and not sure how many times he has been in the final group on sunday in the last 7/8 years, think its three.

So:
    JR - 90/1
    Continuing with Bryson after his 28/1 win at the US Open, hes very short at 8/1
    Cantlay
    Lord Tyrrell Hatton
    Matty Fitzpatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

:eek::eek::eek:

Not to go off topic but......REALLY?

If you had picked a particular event and said "best display of iron play I'd ever seen" then fair enough. But best iron player you've ever seen?

No chance, unless you haven't seen:
    Tiger
    Langer
    Faldo
    Rory
    Sergio
    Norman
    Olazabal
    Westwood
    (In no particular order, off the top of my head)

If you had picked a particular event and said "best display of iron play I'd ever seen" then fair enough. But best iron player you've ever seen?

Tiger
    Langer
    Faldo
    Rory
    Sergio
    Norman
    Olazabal
    Westwood
    You forgot some of the best over the last 25 years. Stenson, Furyk, Singh and Lehman.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    You forgot some of the best over the last 25 years. Stenson, Furyk, Singh and Lehman.

Well I did say off the top of my head.......

...best iron player you've ever seen?

Just watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Just added
    Rory to M/C @6-1
    CASEY 1RL @55,enhanced
    Hideki @22-1ew

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Tiger
    Langer
    Faldo
    Rory
    Sergio
    Norman
    Olazabal
    Westwood

Morikawa is an incredible iron player. Too early for him to make that list but in a few years I think it'll be a common thing that he gets lumped in with them. Been ten times the iron player than Rory has this year but Rory's irons have gone off the boil big time

Morrison J wrote: »
    Morikawa is an incredible iron player. Too early for him to make that list but in a few years I think it'll be a common thing that he gets lumped in with them. Been ten times the iron player than Rory has this year but Rory's irons have gone off the boil big time

Not doubting his potential but the claim was that he is the best iron player he had ever seen. Tiger's iron play was untouchable for a long period of time in the late 90s through to mid to late 00s. Morikawa has a long way to go to exceed them standards in my opinion.

Anyway we are gone way off topic

Not doubting his potential but the claim was that he is the best iron player he had ever seen. Tiger's iron play was untouchable for a long period of time in the late 90s through to mid to late 00s. Morikawa has a long way to go to exceed them standards in my opinion.

Anyway we are gone way off topic

I don't think it's completely outrageous. I think he's the best I've seen since prime Tiger who is obviously the gold standard. Morikawa rightfully part of the conversation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Laid the top 7 to miss the cut. Guaranteed profit if one of the top six, small loss if Koepka misses. €217 outlay.

matched-bets.png
    free photo hosting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Have to go big on Bryson, really don't want him to win but after practice round reports and the fact the course could be soft, I can't see him not being there on Sunday evening

Snotty wrote: »
    Have to go big on Bryson, really don't want him to win but after practice round reports and the fact the course could be soft, I can't see him not being there on Sunday evening

Starts very early tomorrow on the 10th so will be very cold and straight into amen corner. If I was backing him I'd take the risk and hold off. Back him live a few holes in and there's a very strong chance you'll get better than the 15/2 which is awful short.

• Advertisement

Tiger wasn't the gold standard in iron play. Tigers all around game was what made him, huge drives, great irons, great scrambling, great putting. He was ultra consistent which made him the greatest but I'm not sure he was the best in any category just top five/ten in them all. Garcia was better off the tee, Furyk was a better iron player, Mickelson a better scrambler, Zach Johnson a better putter.

Advertisement