Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

• 09-11-2020 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 64,749 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I'd start a new thread, same title as in motors. Light hearted, hopefully good for a few laughs.

I'll get the ball rolling

Rolex Explorer II polar, ref 16570. No box, no papers, no service history. No bracelet :eek:

Seller is adamant he needs €5500, not a cent less :p

Linky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

I don’t think he is that much of a dreamer. Add 1k onto the price for box and papers missing. And even generously add 800 for a replacement bracelet.

Can you find a load of “Swiss only” dials Polars available for 7.3k anywhere?

I think dreamer of the year works better from the opposite side, especially on adverts where everyone wants it for nothing.

Case in point is also that add where he is offered 2.5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Agreed that person making a €2.5k offer is a chancer / idiot / time waster with 50% bad feed back. Far too many of those types on adverts.ie unfortunately

The value of the watch funnily enough is right bang in the middle of bid and ask at €4k max. I can't see anyone offering his asking price, but you never know. Plenty of fools and their money around :p

unkel wrote: »
    Agreed that person making a €2.5k offer is a chancer / idiot / time waster with 50% bad feed back. Far too many of those types on adverts.ie unfortunately

The value of the watch funnily enough is right bang in the middle of bid and ask at €4k max. I can't see anyone offering his asking price, but you never know. Plenty of fools and their money around :p

If you think that a Polar explorer, with a “rare” dial ( this is something collectors want apparently) is only worth 4k then it is you who is the dreamer :-) .

For 1500 quid or so this watch could have a bracelet added, box added and serviced by Rolex to get papers.

Find a Polar for sale at 7k with this dial? I don’t think they are there.....

Find one for 4k.......

I ran it by someone in the trade. Who agreed with my price. I guess the two of us will have to agree to disagree with you and the seller about who are the dreamers here ;)

Lol

The trade price is different to the private selling price. Sure 4k maybe what a dealer pays and then advertises for 6k. Not really relevant. Did you sell your milgauss to HM for trade price?

Rather than rely on one person in the “trade” I do a search and see with my eyes what the watch is selling for.

Link to me one of these that is advertised or has sold in the EU for less than 7k with this dial. You will struggle to find one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Better be careful that none of my watches appear here! As mentioned, problem with Adverts is lowball offers so people tend to put in higher asking prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

That Explorer is bad value as a collectors watch, its a head only and can never be made "right" however I am sure as a watch its grand. I suppose if your a buyer with a eye on residuals the value proposition is poor, if you just want the watch and resale be damned it not so bad. Personally I would want the watch on a bracelet and a complete one, from the correct period can be a pricey affair.

You can buy a good watch for 7k or a bad one for 5k and spend 2k making it a good watch. At the end of the day you are still 7k down

That's it. Not a collectible watch at all because of the missing bracelet. Worth €4k tops. Silly to compare it to a complete watch. I wouldn't offer much more than €3.5k to give myself a few hundred quid margin for the likely case I would sell it on at some point, so I wouldn't lose too much on it.

Absolutely. I never* buy a watch unless it’s full set. But it not being a full set does not mean the watch is going to be given away for less than its value.

*except for the ALS I bought as a partial set with no box and a missing manual.
    That's it. Not a collectible watch at all because of the missing bracelet. Worth €4k tops. Silly to compare it to a complete watch.

He hasn’t agreed with you.

You are comparing it to a full set watch by removing 40 percent of its value. It is very collectible. Very easy add a bracelet. This has a rare dial (how rare I have no idea). You cant add the dial afterwards.

Where are the links to all these 4 k or 5k or 6k explorers that are changing hands?

You can mentally assign a 4k value to it all you want. Doesn’t make it a reality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    You can mentally assign a 4k value to it all you want. Doesn’t make it a reality.

I haven't seen an awful lot of buyers offering him €5.5k for it, have you? :p

If you don't mind I'll take the opinion of a watch dealer over yours...

I haven't seen an awful lot of buyers offering him €5.5k for it, have you? :p

If you don't mind I'll take the opinion of a watch dealer over yours...

Is Ireland and adverts a good representative of the global market??

Not a single link provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

blue5000 wrote: »

Generally (stereotypes are there to be broken) - Japanese sellers are amazing (in terms of item preservation and description).

i.e. if they say something is 9/10 - that would mean that it probably gets "mint" or 10/10 in the English speaking world. If there is a noticeable scratch on a camera lens body (so cosmetic only) for example they might mark it 6/10 - where it would be totally acceptable for a 8/10 in Ireland/UK/US.

The Japanese - a great bunch of lads :D

Nothing to do with this ad :D - but just some info in case people buy from Japanese ebay sellers/off Rakuten etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

so are we saying its an ok price,and to bring it to where people want it to be would cost an extra K2.5 and the it would be worth the 7.5 asked for with a full set.

If you weren't concerned with having full set and can acquire the extras later, then its not bad ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

so are we saying its an ok price,and to bring it to where people want it to be would cost an extra K2.5 and the it would be worth the 7.5 asked for with a full set.

If you weren't concerned with having full set and can acquire the extras later, then its not bad ?

Cliffs

My position is that 5.5k seems about right for a loose watch with the rare dial.

Unkel think he is a dreamer and suggests 3.5 as he spoke to some one “in the trade”....fairly easy guess who ��

Unkel can’t provide links to show all these polar explorers changing hands at 4k or 5k.

Also some skx are expensive in Japan.

Missing box and papers are generally overplayed, but a missing bracelet is a worry. Its very difficult gent a genuine one for any sort of reasonable money, Rolex dont sell loose bracelets. Any one you do get may not be right for the watch.

Dealer prices are misleading too, to be fair. If the guy was willing to take dealer prices he would sell it to a dealer, much easier than dealing with mouth breathers on adverts. A dealer offered me 5k on a milgauss today, a ridiculous low price. But thats their right, and I am sure they get a few with these low balls, or those that have to sell quick.

You can offer anything you want, and as a seller ask anything you want. The value of the watch will come down to a combination of the need of the seller to sell, how much he values the watch at, and how much the buyer will give and how much they want the watch.

At the end of the day, the seller is the one with the Rolex, and he would rather keep it than have 4 grand. Personally I wouldn't pay a grand for it, too dodgy, but 5500 is not looney prices for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Fitz II wrote: »
    Missing box and papers are generally overplayed, but a missing bracelet is a worry. Its very difficult gent a genuine one for any sort of reasonable money, Rolex dont sell loose bracelets. Any one you do get may not be right for the watch.

Dealer prices are misleading too, to be fair. If the guy was willing to take dealer prices he would sell it to a dealer, much easier than dealing with mouth breathers on adverts. A dealer offered me 5k on a milgauss today, a ridiculous low price. But thats their right, and I am sure they get a few with these low balls, or those that have to sell quick.

You can offer anything you want, and as a seller ask anything you want. The value of the watch will come down to a combination of the need of the seller to sell, how much he values the watch at, and how much the buyer will give and how much they want the watch.

At the end of the day, the seller is the one with the Rolex, and he would rather keep it than have 4 grand. Personally I wouldn't pay a grand for it, too dodgy, but 5500 is not looney prices for what it is.

I wouldn’t be interested as am looking at Spitfire Chrono or Mark II Speedmaster racing, but it’s great to get and insight

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭tjhook

Personally I wouldn't pay a grand for it, too dodgy, but 5500 is not looney prices for what it is.
    Out of interest, too dodgy as in questionable chain of ownership, or condition of the watch internally? Or something else?

Its a watch that came with a bracelet the question is how did it loose it? It certainly hints at one careless owner, or somebody sold the bracelet off. New braclet I have sourced on ebay is 1300 euro. Watch will need a service for certain, no way a "head only" watch like this has had a proper service in a while. There is another grand gone to rolex. Worst of all you could send it to Rolex for service and they keep it cause its stolen. That is one reason the braclet is gone, cause it was nicked on a strap. Current owner might not even know, but the first fool to service the watch with Rolex will get stung.

I dont care about box and papers that much in general, but when the watch is not complete I really worry, its not vintage so how did that happen?

Or of course it was plain & simply overpriced :p

It's withdrawn now...

• Advertisement

Its a watch that came with a bracelet the question is how did it loose it? It certainly hints at one careless owner, or somebody sold the bracelet off. New braclet I have sourced on ebay is 1300 euro. Watch will need a service for certain, no way a "head only" watch like this has had a proper service in a while. There is another grand gone to rolex. Worst of all you could send it to Rolex for service and they keep it cause its stolen. That is one reason the braclet is gone, cause it was nicked on a strap. Current owner might not even know, but the first fool to service the watch with Rolex will get stung.

I dont care about box and papers that much in general, but when the watch is not complete I really worry, its not vintage so how did that happen?

I would agree with that definitely for a modern watch. I can’t understand how many have no box or papers. How are people so careless.

Either way the explorer 2 is prob the least loved Rolex of the Range for some reason. The standard ones pop up on TZ regularly for around 4.5k sterling I think.

The poor mans Rolex so to speak.

I am a big fan of the no papers watch...they are cheaper. Papers are lost for a few genuine reasons. Papers dont certify a watch, easy to fake papers. But they do attest to a careful ownership life.

1. People are rich and simply dont care about that crap.
    2. They sell a watch while on holidays or away from home and never send the papers.
    3. The pawn a watch
    4. Loose a watch gambling.
    5. Flip before the AD releases the papers.

With the explorer or a lot of rolex, the bracelet is a key part of the watch. Why is gone, or why a new one was not sourced is sus.

Some people sell bracelets as it’s a keeper......(or at least I did).

I did it with my planet ocean. I am never selling the watch. I wear it on nato and rubber. Don’t need it.

A few years later.....hmmmm Pity I sold that bracelet now I am trying to sell it....

I would usually look to buy a full set, including bracelet (if they have one even though I prob won’t use it) just as it’s easily resell. While partial sets are cheaper. The market is then smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Balls!
    Of their GMT range, it's the one I really like.
    Both polar and black just really catch my eye even with their weird bezel ;)

Suppose it frames me as a classless oik then :pac:
    Can't say it's a wrong view either :(
    There is a Grand Seiko lookalike in the watch comp that caught my eye earlier as an even cheaper option.

I'm liking that moniker :cool:

Did a bit of research and that "SWISS" only is nothing special or collectable imho. It's just a brief period around 1999 after Rolex stopped using radioactive tritium for the lume and before they started using superluminova

OmegaGene wrote: »
    ouch, how to kill a watch for people in a few words lol

Does the opposite for me :p

My last car was called a poor man's Tesla. I liked that a lot too.

It wasn't actually a Tesla, it was a Hyundai :p

OmegaGene wrote: »
    ouch, how to kill a watch for people in a few words lol

I didn’t mean it quite like that. But it seems unloved and a cheap way to get Rolex on the dial for a sports watch if that was one is after. A Rolex in the sports range that is readily available below retail on the second market.....telling in one way. The Milgauss was like that a little till recent years but seems to have picked up a lot.

See two below on tz recently

5150 sterling full set plus recent service.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?452060-FT-Rolex-Explorer-16570-polar-B-amp-P-and-recent-Rolex-service&highlight=Polar+explorer

5k full set and just serviced.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?468233-SOLD-Rolex-Explorer-II-(-quot-Polar-quot-Ref-16570)-Complete-with-Service-Warranty&highlight=Polar+explorer

The Swiss only dial obvious adds value (for a certain group of people who value they kind of thing). No idea how much.

A recently serviced watch is ideal. Means the watch is mint as condition is very important in a 15-20 year old watch and also gives huge security of providence. You can guarantee it wasn’t stolen prior to the service point at least. Buy the seller is great .....but the seller may not know that 3 sellers ago it was hot as ****.
    I'm liking that moniker :cool:

Did a bit of research and that "SWISS" only is nothing special or collectable imho. It's just a brief period around 1999 after Rolex stopped using radioactive tritium for the lume and before they started using superluminova

I didn’t really look bar a minute on chrono24 which shows their asking price typically higher. Short production period seem seem to be valued. I think Rolex have made so many micro changes to models with slight variations of dials, bezels font, date wheel font, different cards, hang tags etc means they are prob diluted.

Looks like I might be getting a poor man's Rolex tomorrow. SWISS only and all :p

• Advertisement

Deep in level 4.

Advertisement