Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Jesus, any bit of investment seems to be always met with opposition in this current government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Quite a leap there Muttley.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

More knowledgeable posters on the subject may know better but unfortunately this seems like a manufactured way out of giving the Airport the 5 million promised with conditions I might add.
    Cowardly and disgraceful behaviour from Ross and the Government. Time and time again this and other governments shaft Waterford.
    What did we ever do to deserve this treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

A regional airport programme finishes this year.

The public, i.e. you and me, are being consulted in a review of how regional airports can sustain regional development, connectivity and climate change - in a cost effective fashion.

I don't understand how this equates to FG giving up on Waterford but the tin foil hat brigade can't be talked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I read that as Cork blocking the extension- some shenanigans probably going on behind the scenes. They are fcuking desperate for passengers- they’re even advertising in Kilkenny (and Wexford too) despite the fact hardly anyone would be bothered going that far for flights to the Uk or Europe that are cheaper and better served from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭snotboogie

road_high wrote: »
    I read that as Cork blocking the extension- some shenanigans probably going on behind the scenes. They are fcuking desperate for passengers- they’re even advertising in Kilkenny (and Wexford too) despite the fact hardly anyone would be bothered going that far for flights to the Uk or Europe that are cheaper and better served from Dublin.

Cork is growing at a rate of 10% this year: https://www.itic.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/ITIC-TOURISM-DASHBOARD-JULY-2019.jpg and is in it's 4th consecutive year of growth, having grown 8%, 4% and 4% in the last 3 years. I'd be intersted to know why you think an airport growing at 10% is desperate? I'd also be interested to see where you read Cork Airport are blocking Waterford Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

road_high wrote: »

Hahahhahahhaha brilliant.

A bit of classic Waterford Whispers in the Waterford forum.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A timely reminder of the Port of Waterford's objection to the expansion at the Port of Cork in 2008, because there is "ample port capacity in Ireland".

https://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0402/101524-cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Quite a leap there Muttley.

BlindNeedyBellfrog-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Hahahhahahhaha brilliant.

A bit of classic Waterford Whispers in the Waterford forum.

Ah JCB...good to see you back and fighting the good fight after you scurried away with your tail between your legs when your "argument" was called out....again!

Hard to know what will come out of this review but I don't think Waterford is specifically being targeted here. Looks like the Kerry PSO is just as much under the microscope.

Though the cynic in me says that yes this is another angle to scuppering the airport's plans. If dragging out the runway funding decision by 12 months did'nt make the investors pull out then maybe cutting off the operation support will spook them.

But like many of these reports, if a change in policy will have a detrimental impact on an airport/region, implementing them with a general election looming is a whole new ball game. And who knows maybe they'll change the funding model in a way that is actually more benifical to the airports!

• Advertisement

That's unnecessary, however unsurprising, differing opinions really seem to bother you don't they?

Waterford has got it's funding yet the faux outrage continues. Another page in the book, it's a bit like Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

That's unnecessary, however unsurprising, differing opinions really seem to bother you don't they?

Waterford has got it's funding yet the faux outrage continues. Another page in the book, it's a bit like Brexit.
    It's got its funding, now subject to this public review...

They really couldn't care less about the South East its shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Have a look in the mirror!

Waterford has got its funding approved yet here you still are sniping and ridiculing other posters here.

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Have a look in the mirror!

Waterford has got its funding approved yet here you still are sniping and ridiculing other posters here.

I'm not sniping, just replying in kind!

You're very worked up about this!

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    It's got its funding, now subject to this public review...

They really couldn't care less about the South East its shocking.

There seems to be this mentality about airports when they're not doing well, when corks not doing well, screams of discrimination by Dublin and Shannon erupt, when Shannon's not doing well, screams of discrimination by Cork and Dublin erupt, when Knock isn't doing well, screams of discrimination by Dublin and Shannon erupt.

Waterfords not doing well, who's to blame?

Well Dublin and Cork of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

There seems to be this mentality about airports when they're not doing well, when corks not doing well, screams of discrimination by Dublin and Shannon erupt, when Shannon's not doing well, screams of discrimination by Cork and Dublin erupt, when Knock isn't doing well, screams of discrimination by Dublin and Shannon erupt.

Waterfords not doing well, who's to blame?

Well Dublin and Cork of course!

Are ya bored? cos I am

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Possibility for WAT when(if)ever they get the runway extended?
    https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/ryanairs-lauda-launches-its-first-flights-from-regional-ireland-38555023.html
    Of course being owned by Ryanair brings O'Leary's jaundiced view of WAT into the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Flow Motion

Possibility for WAT when(if)ever they get the runway extended?
    https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/ryanairs-lauda-launches-its-first-flights-from-regional-ireland-38555023.html
    Of course being owned by Ryanair brings O'Leary's jaundiced view of WAT into the equation.

Little known fact that Ryanair's 1st flight was actually from WATERFORD to LONDON GATWICK back in 1985! :eek:

Little known?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Little known fact that Ryanair's 1st flight was actually from WATERFORD to LONDON GATWICK back in 1985! :eek:

thats common knowledge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Little known?!
    robtri wrote: »
    thats common knowledge

Common knowledge in Waterford maybe, but definitely little known outside of here. In fact I’ve had people in Dublin give me that pitying look when I’ve said this to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

fricatus wrote: »
    Common knowledge in Waterford maybe, but definitely little known outside of here. In fact I’ve had people in Dublin give me that pitying look when I’ve said this to them.
    Common knowledge for fan sites.
    For most of the traveling public and Ryanair plc it's not relevant apart from being a footnote in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Masala

Don’t think that will cut you any ice with MOL in bringing Ryanair back to WAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Flew back to London on Ryanair plane from Waterford after Christmas 85. My family were not happy with the plane, I had to phone when I got into Gateick, which meant finding a public phone that worked, with a lot of change in those days. I loved it...could see the sea through a crack in the bottom of the plane, only about 10 people on a small plane and free peanuts! Freezing though. Ah the innocence :)
    What sort of plane , I don't know, but by the time I could afford to fly again it was more like your average holiday bucket airplane . That flight cost more than twice / three times the price of a boat trip return, and my parents paid that first fare for me, bless them ❤

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Flew back to London on Ryanair plane from Waterford after Christmas 85. My family were not happy with the plane, I had to phone when I got into Gateick, which meant finding a public phone that worked, with a lot of change in those days. I loved it...could see the sea through a crack in the bottom of the plane, only about 10 people on a small plane and free peanuts! Freezing though. Ah the innocence :)
    What sort of plane , I don't know, but by the time I could afford to fly again it was more like your average holiday bucket airplane . That flight cost more than twice / three times the price of a boat trip return, and my parents paid that first fare for me, bless them ❤

Believe it would have bee one of these

Ryanair_EMB-110.jpg

They were like flying in a tumble dryer full of nuts and bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Remember this; http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/waterford-airport-%E2%80%98has-no-future-claims-ryanair-boss/
    I'm in two minds about O'Leary, I often find myself agreeing with him profusely when he's talking about state inefficiencies, breaking up monopolies etc. but here he is advocating closing all the airports except Dublin. Sometimes he's very clever and a visionary but sometimes he's just a twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Masala

Remember this; http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/waterford-airport-%E2%80%98has-no-future-claims-ryanair-boss/
    I'm in two minds about O'Leary, I often find myself agreeing with him profusely when he's talking about state inefficiencies, breaking up monopolies etc. but here he is advocating closing all the airports except Dublin. Sometimes he's very clever and a visionary but sometimes he's just a twat.

aaaahhhhhh the days of Dictators and personal spats among the Airline bosses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

He's the perfect person to advocate for the neoliberal ideology, I.e. state bad, private 'monopoly' good, only reality is saying otherwise, whereby this ideology ultimately promotes narcissistic behaviour that's actually stripping the planet of wealth and overall stability. There's no question state bodies are dysfunctional and wasteful at the best of times, but are they truly worse than private monoplies that are obviously undermining many critical needs in society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Masala wrote: »
    Don’t think that will cut you any ice with MOL in bringing Ryanair back to WAT.

What would bring Ryanair to Waterford is to keep another airline out of Waterford...

Advertisement