Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

You've already gone there. And I've already answered you. Why are you asking yet again.

Is it any crazier than admitting you didn't teach your classroom of children during lockdown and yet took your salary?

Yes it is crazier. Do you not realize why?

I’m not trying to catch you out ... but you are effectively accusing named people of fraud. Can you not see the problems that could cause for both you personally and this site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I’m afraid something like this does have to be backed up by actual facts.

Again, have a nice evening :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,695 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Can we all move on please rather than continually going over something that has been addressed by a mod note already?

First of all, I'm entitled to my opinion and tough if you don't like it.

It’s not an “opinion” if you are accusing a person of illegal activity on a public forum.

Do you not understand that?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Of course not!

But you need to educate yourself on the implications if you are going to accuse named people (such as Norma Foley and others) of fraud in a public forum.

So what is your business here? Everybody has right to have opinion and have right to express theirs opinion.

Do you have anything to say on subject of this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The first rule of defamation is that it not be true. However, there is a discrepancy between what Norma has said in relation to cases in schools, and what Irish principals have said. Sorry, go again.

Go ahead, and report me, an anonymous internet forum user with an opinion to the FBI or MI5 or the MIB, whatever you think is going to happen there is what sounds delusional to me.

I get that you were insulted when you got that warning but I think I'm going to drop the subject for your own good.

And btw we are not America so stop the nonsense about free speech. While nobody will sue you here a casual Google would tell you defamation laws in this country are a lot stricter than in US. A few Facebook morons found themselves quite a bit poorer making statements they couldn't support.

I have a diploma in law here in Ireland thank you very much and I am very aware of what is in the Irish constitution, but clearly you aren't. I don't need a casual google search, lol. I'm putting you on ignore now as I'd like to discuss the topic at hand so I won't be engaging with you further.

Yeah right...

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

There are reports of teachers & principles leaving or taking retirement even though they didn't plan to now, or subs not taking jobs where cases are found in schools.

Careful what you wish for. If government doesn't start mitigating the high risks in schools and properly funding our education system then there will be strikes and more leaving the sector. How will you keep schools open then? 45 students per classroom? Marqees outside? :pac: That's in our children's best interests, is it?

Edited to add: and wasn't there a rather high figure of teachers on sick leave? Hmmm....

This is a very straight forward post. Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭hello2020

Is it possible for parents to keep kids home till daily cases come down?
    what acceptable reason can we provide to the school for not sending kids to school as school feels so unsafe at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

hello2020 wrote: »
    Is it possible for parents to keep kids home till daily cases come down?
    what acceptable reason can we provide to the school for not sending kids to school as school feels so unsafe at the moment.

Just talk to the principal and explain your reasoning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

hello2020 wrote: »

Being a SAHM/D and registering for home schooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,859 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

In my opinion.

I would have no doubt the powers that be are using 'creative accounting' to make schools appear far safer places then they are.

For the perceived "Greater Good".

We all ready have glaring precedent for the distortion of science and reality during this very pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I've just had a look at the Facebook page.

Among some of the beauts is a woman claiming her daughter got Meningitis twice from the HPV vaccine. Lots of photos of letters/emails with names of facility "redacted", but naming the facility in the post- why is this not suspicious to anyone??

I've seen it said in Wibbs' signature and it's so apt here, never in the field of human history has so little been known by so many about so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Lillyfae wrote: »
    I've just had a look at the Facebook page.

Among some of the beauts is a woman claiming her daughter got Meningitis twice from the HPV vaccine. Lots of photos of letters/emails with names of facility "redacted", but naming the facility in the post- why is this not suspicious to anyone??

I've seen it said in Wibbs' signature and it's so apt here, never in the field of human history has so little been known by so many about so much.

What is your issue with it? Names are redacted for GDPR in the letters and texts but the school name is visible. THe posts that contain information meant to be GDPR are removed as quickly as possible but there are only 6 admin and they are doing the best that they can. You can't account for comments people make but the schools are verified by the admin and they were interviewed about it on RTE radio on Friday.

Boggles wrote: »
    In my opinion.

I would have no doubt the powers that be are using 'creative accounting' to make schools appear far safer places then they are.

For the perceived "Greater Good".

We all ready have glaring precedent for the distortion of science and reality during this very pandemic.

Everyone knows data integrity standards are higher in anonymous facebook groups than the HSPC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I don't see RTE or Virgin Media having such an issue with the Facebook group. They refer to it quite often and have even interviewed one of the admins. Fergal Bowers even wrote an article where he more or less intimated that the data on the Facebook group seemed to be more believable.

I can fully understand those, who for their own reasons dismiss it totally out of hand. What I don't understand are why those same people bother looking at it? I never look at comments under articles or Facebook groups. They generally bring out the bad side of people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Everyone knows data integrity standards are higher in anonymous facebook groups than the HSPC
    Yeah, thousands of parents are taking time out of minding their children to fabricate and falsify official HSE documentation en masse just to make the pandemic look worse. That's the reality.

khalessi wrote: »
    What is your issue with it? Names are redacted for GDPR in the letters and texts but the school name is visible. THe posts that contain information meant to be GDPR are removed as quickly as possible but there are only 6 admin and they are doing the best that they can. You can't account for comments people make but the schools are verified by the admin and they were interviewed about it on RTE radio on Friday.
    I haven't heard the interview but what exactly does being interviewed stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Among some of the beauts is a woman claiming her daughter got Meningitis twice from the HPV vaccine.

Is it potential side-effect of vaccine or just question of maintaining hygiene in the medical facility and/or at home?

I am not on Facebook, took a quick glance at the list, a lot of schools I personally know of that have had multiple confirmed infections are not on it.

So I guess you are right, it's not giving the full picture.

Also the HSPC advice on masks not that long ago.
    There is no evidence of benefit

So yeah, there is a few trust issues there with me personally anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I am not on Facebook, took a quick glance at the list, a lot of schools I personally know of that have had multiple confirmed infections are not on it.

So I guess you are right, it's not giving the full picture.

Same here.
    I know of 4 schools that have multiple cases and I have only seen one it when I looked at that facebook page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

s1ippy wrote: »
    Yeah, thousands of parents are taking time out of minding their children to fabricate and falsify official HSE documentation en masse just to make the pandemic look worse. That's the reality.

Pretty well orchestrated conspiracy alright. 117,000 people falsifying or fabricating many hundreds of HSE and school letters. Better get Jim Corr on the case.

Some people will dismiss anything that they fear and don't understand. Human nature.

Blondini wrote: »
    Pretty well orchestrated conspiracy alright. 117,000 people falsifying or fabricating many hundreds of HSE and school letters. Better get Jim Corr on the case.

Some people will dismiss anything that they fear and don't understand. Human nature.

And others will believe anything they read on Facebook.

Go figure.

And others will dismiss anyone who challenges there view as a Jim Corr conspiracy theorist. Which is more bizarre, given in this instance its those very same people who are the postulating a conspiracy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

If only nphet would come out with a clear presentation on the spread in schools and from schools to homes, from homes to schools.
    It would all be so easily cleared up.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    If only nphet would come out with a clear presentation on the spread in schools and from schools to homes, from homes to schools.
    It would all be so easily cleared up.

Unfortunately, with hundreds of cases per day, the level of detail you are looking for is virtually impossible to complete without an individual investigator assigned to each case. And this is where the facebook group has emerged to fill a vacuum. They would understandably like to know this detail, but is it best use of resources? I have no doubt the vast majority who engage in the facebook group are well intentioned and honest in what they share. It does however take a notification of a case in a classroom as evidence of an outbreak in the school. Its not the same thing

It does however take a notification of a case in a classroom as evidence of an outbreak in the school. Its not the same thing

There has been virtually no transmission in schools, 1 maybe 2 cases (the unions were told this last week).

I think this information vacuum you speak of has very little to do with a confused / scared populous and more to with not believing the official narrative.

Which is more than fair, I mean only an innate simpleton would believe that there is no transmission in schools, correct?

Actually my question would be the ability to check, update and asses data.

I do find interesting how 117k is constantly mentioned as relevant. All it tells you is that middle aged women like to use it to bore everyone with pictures of their little darlings and look for ideas how to make Halloween special. (Personally I prefer WhatsApp and Viber.)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

hello2020 wrote:
    Is it possible for parents to keep kids home till daily cases come down? what acceptable reason can we provide to the school for not sending kids to school as school feels so unsafe at the moment.
    I'd advise you to firstly contact the school and tell them that due to concerns for the health of your family that you want to keep your children at home.
    Ask them if they can guarantee that your children will not contract covid-19 at school and bring it home because they cannot.
    I've kept mine at home all along.
    I contacted the school, Tusla, Dept. of education, the office of the Taoiseach, FF and FG and local TDs. FF, FG, deot. of the Taoiseach and the department ofveducation just send you around in circles.
    I've had a local TD back in contact recently because I predicted figures correctly for early and mid October. He wasn't much help initially either.

Anyways I contacted Tusla because they'll be contacting you when your kid's miss a month. It's good to be able to reference that you were in contact with them early on. Just make it clear to them that this is a temporary measure up until you deem it safe for your kid's to return to school.
    I'm being given all the schoolwork and homework by the school.

• Advertisement

There has been virtually no transmission in schools, 1 maybe 2 cases (the unions were told this last week).

I think this information vacuum you speak of has very little to do with a confused / scared populous and more to with not believing the official narrative.

Which is more than fair, I mean only an innate simpleton would believe that there is no transmission in schools, correct?
    There is a difference between no and limited transmission. And only someone who thinks every one around them is complete simpleton would intentionally swap limited with no.

The easiest thing is to believe into every conspiracy theory because it flatters people's egos that they uncovered some conspiracy and are not sheep. The same as any anti vaxxers, paedophile groups and chemtrail groups.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement