Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three dead as woman beheaded in France

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

I read somewhere - I can't recall where... that something in and around, broadly speaking - 60-65% of Muslims think violence is not acceptable - which is fantastic... however - isn't 35-40% of Muslims thinking violence is acceptable an absolutely HUGE number!? Like... 600,000,000 people or therabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

biko wrote: »
    For muslims one of the worst things you can do is to show the sole of your foot to a muslim.

They have little to be worrying about.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What exactly is it that Macron said that caused such anger? He didn't say anything at all about the prophet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of western democracy.

I wouldn't want to offend anyone's beliefs, but I should (and do) have the freedom to ridicule anyone I want.

Try expressing publicly an Anti Semitic view in France ....see where it lands you.
    There is no such thing in western democracy as freedom of speech, we have certain freedoms to say certain things provided the views we express are politically correct, that could hardly be described as ''freedom of speech''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Do you understand why there is a footprint on Macron's face?
    For muslims feet are dirty and one of the worst things you can do is to show the sole of your foot.

In Sweden when Swedes are robbed by foreigners the Swedes at times are forced to kiss the shoes of the robbers.

I am offended by this image, can I go kill someone now?

Don’t think so Biko.
    I am afraid you are held to a different standard of behaviour by the apologists. Non-Muslim murdering someone because they are offended is bad. A Muslim who murders someone because they are offended well that’s understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The racism on low expectations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭CharlesMartel

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    What exactly is it that Macron said that caused such anger? He didn't say anything at all about the prophet.

He objected to a French citizen being decapitated by islamo-barbarians for attempting to educate children in our Western values.

He objected to a French citizen being decapitated by islamo-barbarians for attempting to educate children in our Western values.

What words did he use that people are angry at?

Macron and Islam: What has the French president actually said to outrage the Muslim world?
    https://www.euronews.com/2020/11/02/macron-and-islam-what-has-the-french-president-actually-said-to-outrage-the-muslim-world

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Christ what a pathetic post. In the grand scale of "reactions to getting angry about something", going from "muttering under your breath" and "angry sigh" all the way up to "mass genocide", someone showing a cartoon you dont like jumps ya straight past the first 99% to "decapitation" is a bit....insane!

What about all the other stuff that upsets Islamic fundamentalists? They arent fond of women showing skin or their hair, so should any no-Muslim woman be behead on Grafton St for disrespecting Islam too? She would only have herself to blame, TBH....coulda just worn a headscarf 24/7, was an easy way round this! Or going to a restaurant during Ramadan....very disrespectful for all those fasting...easiest solution/way round it is to just only eat in your own home or just fast too, so easy!

What about the whole worship of Mohammed himself? Isnt that a pretty fundamental core part of Islam, and anyone who doesnt worship him is now fair game for beheading? I mean, if showing a caricature of himself is grounds for murder, surely not even worshipping him at all is worse?

We are by far the worst country in Europe/Western World when it comes to pandering to minorities - a small example, Christmas Cribs had to be taken down from outside public hospitals in Dublin because a few muslim workers were ''offended'' and demanded their removal.....hard to believe but sadly true!

• Advertisement

Macron and Islam: What has the French president actually said to outrage the Muslim world?
    https://www.euronews.com/2020/11/02/macron-and-islam-what-has-the-french-president-actually-said-to-outrage-the-muslim-world

Thanks for that.

Is it his plan of action and the reference to foreign influences that is the true cause of outrage?

"There was a need to "free Islam in France from foreign influences", the president went on, outlining plans to end a system allowing imams to train overseas, reduce homeschooling, and take control of religious funding. Associations would have to sign a contract respecting "the Republic's values" in order to obtain subsidies.

The measures, accompanied by improvements to educational, cultural and sports services, are to form part of a draft law on "secularity and liberty", expected in December."

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    What words did he use that people are angry at?

'citizen', 'educate', and 'Western'.

Any of those is enough to set them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭jmreire

Do you understand why there is a footprint on Macron's face?
    For muslims feet are dirty and one of the worst things you can do is to show the sole of your foot.

I am offended by this image, can I go kill someone now?

In most Islamic Country's, ( but not exclusive to them) the streets and roads are far from clean, and it's customary to leave your shoes outside the door, and not bring dirt into the house. In some Country's I have been in, there will be lots of animal traffic, Like we had during the Fair Days in Ireland back in the 50'-60's before the cattle marts became common. Cattle and other animals would line the streets and footpaths all day, which necessitated a major cleanup in the evening after the fair had ended. So dirty shoes and boots were common. But in very warm / hot Country's, socks are not worn, most travel barefoot. And so, if you entered the house properly, shoe's/ sandals/ boot's etc. were all left outside, but your feet would still be dirty, which might not matter too much if you were sitting on chairs, but it's mainly cushions on the floor that people sit on, and of course, the soles of your feet will be visible....and to "point" your dirty soles at some one is considered very insulting. They normally get around this by hunkering down...a position they can maintain for long periods of time... but most Europeans don't have this knack...so you will have to be very carefull where you put your feet when you sit down in a group..

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭john123470

I read somewhere - I can't recall where... that something in and around, broadly speaking - 60-65% of Muslims think violence is not acceptable - which is fantastic... however - isn't 35-40% of Muslims thinking violence is acceptable an absolutely HUGE number!? Like... 600,000,000 people or therabouts?

You might as well chuck in the entire 100% bcoz that 60-65% are too afraid to talk out .. darent even leave the "religion" .. for fear of reprisal. And when push comes to shove - who will this 65 % support ? You ?

but that basically is what youre up against .. 1.5 billion of people who strongly disapprove of you breathing the air you breathe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

nj27 wrote: »
    The delightful opinion of one of the few major Muslim sports stars (outside cricket). The replies are a bit of an eyeopener too, doesn't seem to be many in disagreement with him.

lb0kuzkqwaw51.png

I am sure there will be someone who will claim its only a handful of them lunatic people are causing trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

monseiur wrote: »
    We are by far the worst country in Europe/Western World when it comes to pandering to minorities - a small example, Christmas Cribs had to be taken down from outside public hospitals in Dublin because a few muslim workers were ''offended'' and demanded their removal.....hard to believe but sadly true!

Give out about those Muslim hse workers when one of them saves you or a family member will you?

john123470 wrote: »
    darent even leave the "religion" .. for fear of reprisal.
    10 countries worldwide have the death penalty for leaving the religion, all Islamic countries.

Salman Rushdie is an islamophobic wind up merchant and conman who deliberately upset millions of people for no reason other than to court controversy
    .......and there was the small matter that the deliberate controversy would sell millions of books and make him financially secure for life, mind you a 24 hour body guards service is not cheap, bet he didn't take that into consideration at the time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

.......and there was the small matter that the deliberate controversy would sell millions of books and make him financially secure for life, mind you a 24 hour body guards service is not cheap, bet he didn't take that into consideration at the time!

Yet I'm a troll for pointing out that Salman Rushdie isn't some hero standing up for freedom of speech. He played a stupid game and won a stupid prize

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

10 countries worldwide have the death penalty for leaving the religion, all Islamic countries.

and those lunatics are coming here....what could go wrong

• Advertisement

Give out about those Muslim hse workers when one of them saves you or a family member will you?
    Nobody is giving out about muslim workers saving lives. We are giving out about people's lives been taken by Islamists. we are giving out about a viscious totalitarian faith looking to subjugate all. Plenty of non muslims provide healthcare to us and our families. The Filipino nurses are not demanding we bow down to them , or to worship their santa Ninio or Black Nazarene

Yet I'm a troll for pointing out that Salman Rushdie isn't some hero standing up for freedom of speech. He played a stupid game and won a stupid prize
    He was a hero until he decided to cave to the Muslim mob, re-affirm his muslim faith, trying to escape a death penalty for stuff that isn;t even a crime.
    Also i expect when writing the book, i think he expected it would never come to the attention to devout muslims. His target audience were enlightened modern people, but it sure comes as a modern, secular warning to us non muslims. The protests should have been a wake up call to the West, Again 600,000 people coming on to the streets of the UK to demand death for a writer, all because he drove a truck through the massive contradictions in their faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Good article putting the examiner in its place for trying to blame "aggressive secularism"

https://gript.ie/examiner-maybe-french-secularism-is-to-blame-for-these-beheadings/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I just want to say my piece that these people don't represent all Muslims. Far from it

Actually, rather than just wanting to say your piece, you 'just' wanted the thread shut down.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115142709&postcount=759

Actually, rather than just wanting to say your piece, you 'just' wanted the thread shut down.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115142709&postcount=759

I wonder will forum posters have to worry about concerned muslims calling to our homes directly, to discuss our misunderstanding of their faith?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

As I'm sure has been pointed out already. I could find your beliefs just as offensive as Muslims find criticism of theirs. Would you say the same thing if I was coming after you in the same way Muslims came after Rushdie? The problem with people like you always comes down to the same thing, ironically a lack of equality. You think only certain groups are allowed to be just in how offended they are.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

.......and there was the small matter that the deliberate controversy would sell millions of books and make him financially secure for life...

Considering he had already won the Booker Prize in '81, that may just be uninformed petty spite on your part.
    Booker is also one of the mighty engines of the 21st-century book trade. Where the “quality” or “literary” novel is concerned, it is the mightiest such engine. Booker forges international name-recognition and makes the lucky author (and, yes, luck does come into it) rich.

https://www.newstatesman.com/books/2008/10/booker-prize-british-literary

Especially if (step forward, Salman Rushdie), you are the author of 'Midnight's Children'.
    To mark the 25th anniversary of the Booker prize in 1993... Midnight's Children had been duly chosen as the "Booker of Bookers" - the best novel out of all the winners.... In 2008, to mark the 40th year of the prize... exactly the same decision as those critical mandarins 15 years ago. It's Midnight's Children again.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2008/jul/12/saturdayreviewsfeatres.guardianreview31

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Try expressing publicly an Anti Semitic view in France ....see where it lands you.
    There is no such thing in western democracy as freedom of speech, we have certain freedoms to say certain things provided the views we express are politically correct, that could hardly be described as ''freedom of speech''

Can you show me some laws that say we have to be politically correct? I know the world is going that way, and it's scary, but you're talking about it as if it already law.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement