Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three dead as woman beheaded in France

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

If left to their own devices they would still be wandering around the desert on donkey back. He should be grateful for access to the marvels of the western world such as aviation

They've already been left to it and are wandering around France, never mind the desert.
    A refugee from Pakistan who believes western technology is ‘haraam’ (forbidden/enemy of) in Islam. So he uses a donkey to commute in the French capital.

EjV-c43XsAIsdkr?format=jpg&name=small
    kjhg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭CharlesMartel

If left to their own devices they would still be wandering around the desert on donkey back. He should be grateful for access to the marvels of the western world such as aviation
    Whatever about the current state of the region, Mohammed and his confederates were a mix of warrior/raider/statesmen. They took down moribund Rome and Persia in the middle east in short order and within a generation had created in their place a massive state and economic, cultural and scientific power house for the time. there is good evidence the religion was standardised by the 5th caliph along with the language, writing, civil service, judicial system while consolidating the new polyclot empire. that said founding a state religion to consolidate power was not a new innovation. I wonder where Mohammed's successors got that idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Whatever about the current state of the region, Mohammed and his confederates were a mix of warrior/raider/statesmen. They took down moribund Rome and Persia in the middle east in short order and within a generation had created in their place a massive state and economic, cultural and scientific power house for the time. there is good evidence the religion was standardised by the 5th caliph along with the language, writing, civil service, judicial system while consolidating the new polyclot empire. that said founding a state religion to consolidate power was not a new innovation. I wonder where Mohammed's successors got that idea

And yet arriving into the vast majority of the middle east is like stepping back in time

They've already been left to it and are wandering around France, never mind the desert.

Again this is not unique to islam...this luddism was adopted wholesale from the nuttier calvanist types. But one could not find a gentler people than the Amish though

And yet arriving into the vast majority of the middle east is like stepping back in time
    I agree wholeheartedly, and that which is modern is built with oil money, slave-labour and Western expertise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Sure, you're Charles the Hammer, you could tell us.

:D

MFPM wrote: »
    Yet millions of Muslims live peaceful, happy and productive lives across Europe.

Indeed they do... but is there any guarantee that they will continue to do so, and more importantly, will their children?

Every Islamic nation that embraced western values (to a degree), or made moves towards general freedoms for it's population has done an about-turn, instead pushing for more 'traditional' morals for society. These changes, for the most part, didn't come from the Government, the Army, or even the priesthood, but rather from the people themselves, often from women (who wanted to return to a more traditional lifestyle).

So.. can you really say that these Muslims in Europe will continue to live peaceful, happy and productive lives, considering that everywhere else they've turned towards the more archaic aspects of Islam? Especially, as their populations increase, peer pressure becomes more of a concern, and there is a greater emphasis to conform to what's happening "back home". Islam is very much a community driven religion, so, as populations in Europe increase, there will be greater demands on Muslims to conform to 'acceptable' behavior.

And for all that they are leading peaceful/productive lives, they're not exactly integrating with western culture and it's values. They hold to their own values, and raise their children within Islamic beliefs (or the cultural environment of their original country).

They're essentially a time bomb... because there are is no requirement for them to accept western cultural norms/values.

Sure, you're Charles the Hammer, you could tell us.

:D
    Know your enemy. And my illustrious forebear probably read Sun Tze. I suspect there will be a great resurgence in interest in the long forgotton true founders of our civilisation. I look forward to being relevent again. I may borrow your man's donkey, as my electric car doesn;t have the range to get to Poitiers, and if i have to stop to recharge, I will be too late to charge.

Indeed they do... but is there any guarantee that they will continue to do so, and more importantly, will their children?

Every Islamic nation that embraced western values (to a degree), or made moves towards general freedoms for it's population has done an about-turn, instead pushing for more 'traditional' morals for society. These changes, for the most part, didn't come from the Government, the Army, or even the priesthood, but rather from the people themselves, often from women (who wanted to return to a more traditional lifestyle).

So.. can you really say that these Muslims in Europe will continue to live peaceful, happy and productive lives, considering that everywhere else they've turned towards the more archaic aspects of Islam? Especially, as their populations increase, peer pressure becomes more of a concern, and there is a greater emphasis to conform to what's happening "back home". Islam is very much a community driven religion, so, as populations in Europe increase, there will be greater demands on Muslims to conform to 'acceptable' behavior.

And for all that they are leading peaceful/productive lives, they're not exactly integrating with western culture and it's values. They hold to their own values, and raise their children within Islamic beliefs (or the cultural environment of their original country).

They're essentially a time bomb... because there are is no requirement for them to accept western cultural norms/values.

This is absolutely vital.

In Britain today, it is often the second and third generation who are most vocal, most radicalised.

They've never known anything but Britain, but their vitriol and enmity towards it is phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

We should not have to adapt to another culture coming to our country. We wouldn't do it for any other culture so why are people saying that that French publication should never have published pictures of Muhammad in France? The fact is that we're all being asked to the ridiculous and adapt the way we live our life to accommodate there people that, let's face it most of us don't want here.

Post a picture of Muhammad here. See how long it lasts. It won't.

• Advertisement

Know your enemy. And my illustrious forebear probably read Sun Tze. I suspect there will be a great resurgence in interest in the long forgotton true founders of our civilisation. I look forward to being relevent again. I may borrow your man's donkey, as my electric car doesn;t have the range to get to Poitiers, and if i have to stop to recharge, I will be too late to charge.

Excellent.

I agree wholeheartedly, and that which is modern is built with oil money, slave-labour and Western expertise.

Slavery is the back bone of middle eastern construction.
    Deaths on sites dont even stop works.

And those middle eastern countries that are developed as only at that level because of oil. No real progression or innovation just happened to be situated on liquid gold. That won't last for ever either.
    Yet socially these countries remain backwards

We should not have to adapt to another culture coming to our country. We wouldn't do it for any other culture so why are people saying that that French publication should never have published pictures of Muhammad in France? The fact is that we're all being asked to the ridiculous and adapt the way we live our life to accommodate there people that, let's face it most of us don't want here.

Post a picture of Muhammad here. See how long it lasts. It won't.
    You can have free migration or universal social welfare. You cannot have both. I suspect if cradle to the grave social welfare disappeared overnight, Islam in Europe would probably fade away. The migrants don't seem to stop in the mediterranean countries on their way north

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A lot of these Muslim extremists would grow up with a Little Prince Syndrome. They are absolutely pandered to when they are young and are the first born. Any sisters would be subservient to them. Disagree with them and you are in trouble.

Their sole purpose is to marry and create more sons. When it turns out that nobody wants to marry them, **** me they get angry at the world. They are deemed failures if they don't marry by their early 20s. The anger and entitlement is divested into religion. If you're not seen at the mosque that week, he'll be having a word with you. If you don't dress modestly, you're a slag. Insult the honor or Islam, oooh that's a beheading.

I used to work with a Little Prince. Anyone that disagreed with him led to a tantrum. He couldnt mediate. He insisted everything he did was right. He took great exception to a woman challenging him. He was brought up to be the head of the family but has failed to marry and worked a **** job. A very angry chap, a bit of a sociopath and a creep too.

A lot of these Muslim extremists would grow up with a Little Prince Syndrome. They are absolutely pandered to when they are young and are the first born. Any sisters would be subservient to them. Disagree with them and you are in trouble.

Their sole purpose is to marry and create more sons. When it turns out that nobody wants to marry them, **** me they get angry at the world. They are deemed failures if they don't marry by their early 20s. The anger and entitlement is divested into religion. If you're not seen at the mosque that week, he'll be having a word with you. If you don't dress modestly, you're a slag. Insult the honor or Islam, oooh that's a beheading.

I used to work with a Little Prince. Anyone that disagreed with him led to a tantrum. He couldnt mediate. He insisted everything he did was right. He took great exception to a woman challenging him. He was brought up to be the head of the family but has failed to marry and worked a **** job. A very angry chap, a bit of a sociopath and a creep too.
    Have come across this several times. However pointing out the trend is frowned upon. Colleagues find it easier to put the behaviour down to multiple individual dickheads rather than a product of their upbringing and cultural outlook. Cognitive dissonance heh!

I'll give an alternative. This is in relation to Muslims from the M.East, not Asian or European Muslims.

I know a lot of Muslims from working in Asia, who come to China as students (cheap costs), and stay on as lecturers or other forms of workers. When they're young, living away from home, there's little difference between them and any western guy. They'll drink like fish, they'll smoke, and chase tail. They're very charismatic, and very successful with the women, although over the last few years, they've started to gain something of a negative reputation. And then, there's the odd one who goes along with the rest, doesn't drink, just smokes the pipe, and doesn't chase tail. Nice guys TBH, although quite judgmental. As individuals, they can be lovely people. In groups, there's an entirely different dynamic, and anyone not muslim is a definite outsider.

However, when they reach their mid/late twenties, they're expected to settle down. They leave their asian girlfriends behind, and get married to someone from home. They switch away from the free lifestyle, to being ultra traditional/conservative. A complete and utter shift in personality, interests, and tolerance. I've seen this happen a dozen times, and I've stopped making friends with young Muslims, because there's no point. They don't stay that way.

And then there's the older guys, who as individuals are lovely people, free and tolerant, but put them with another Muslim, and they flip entirely. No point mentioning the women, because you can never speak to them, and even worse, to acknowledge their presence is to get them into trouble. So...

When I left Ireland originally, I knew next to nothing about Muslims, and Islam. Since then, I've encountered many in Asia, made friends with them, dated two Muslim women, and been to a variety of Islamic States for longer holidays. And... I don't trust them. They flip too easily between personalities and viewpoints depending on who is with them. Individually, they can present a very open, western viewpoint, but put them with a group of other Muslims, and they flip entirely. Different people completely.

I get the feeling that those who defend Muslims in Europe, have never spent any real time with groups of Muslims, and are instead basing their opinions on the behavior of individuals. As I said before, Islam is a community based religion, and the mob rules their hearts. With greater populations of Muslims in Europe, we'll see greater movement towards being similar to Muslims in Islamic states, simply because they have no choice. They'll be forced to become that way...

Now, things might be different if we had some requirement for them to truly integrate (not assimilate). but I've yet to see any system that's effective. The EU has been trying for decades, and continues to fail. (probably because it's completely voluntary)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

And then there's the older guys, who as individuals are lovely people, free and tolerant, but put them with another Muslim, and they flip entirely. No point mentioning the women, because you can never speak to them, and even worse, to acknowledge their presence is to get them into trouble. So...

When I left Ireland originally, I knew next to nothing about Muslims, and Islam. Since then, I've encountered many in Asia, made friends with them, dated two Muslim women, and been to a variety of Islamic States for longer holidays. And... I don't trust them. They flip too easily between personalities and viewpoints depending on who is with them. Individually, they can present a very open, western viewpoint, but put them with a group of other Muslims, and they flip entirely. Different people completely.

Out of curiosity did you ever challenge them when they were within a group that they had held different viewpoints previoiusly?
    I find the whole thing odd, that some muslims will defend other muslims, religion before nationality almost. As in, you never had "Catholic brothers and sisters" coming from Italy, France, Spain etc to help fight against the British army in the 6 counties...

Granadino wrote: »
    Out of curiosity did you ever challenge them when they were within a group that they had held different viewpoints previoiusly?
    I find the whole thing odd, that some muslims will defend other muslims, religion before nationality almost. As in, you never had "Catholic brothers and sisters" coming from Italy, France, Spain etc to help fight against the British army in the 6 counties...
    I have asked that question. bascially got told that i am mad and he behaves the same all the time and treats everybody equally. Which is ironic as i had been invited to their equivalent of a house party. wasn't allowed see or talk to the women. There was a literal sheet down the middle of the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I have asked that question. bascially got told that i am mad and he behaves the same all the time and treats everybody equally. Which is ironic as i had been invited to their equivalent of a house party. wasn't allowed see or talk to the women. There was a literal sheet down the middle of the room.

I would have made a point of talking to the women.

Sheet down the middle of the room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

At election time we often see Labour MPs in England talking in Islamic centres, all the women on one side, the men on the other.

Offered a seat one time to a Muslim woman who was standing. The 2 men with her freaked out.

Mad the weird **** we have to pretend is progressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Again this is not unique to islam...this luddism was adopted wholesale from the nuttier calvanist types. But one could not find a gentler people than the Amish though

Unless you happen to be one of the wives and daughters subject to rampant sexual abuse and a life of drudgery doing all the household chores without the benefit of any modern conveniences like washing machines or ovens. They may portray themselves as salt of the earth Christians but they are patriarchal fundamentalists at their core.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    Unless you happen to be one of the wives and daughters subject to rampant sexual abuse and a life of drudgery doing all the household chores without the benefit of any modern conveniences like washing machines or ovens. They may portray themselves as salt of the earth Christians but they are patriarchal fundamentalists at their core.

correct,

I would put the society of friends (quakers) as the most easy going and some of the nicest people i have met.

God no... Muslims in a group are intense, especially if some of them come from countryside areas. I honestly wouldn't have felt safe confronting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'll give an alternative. This is in relation to Muslims from the M.East, not Asian or European Muslims.

I know a lot of Muslims from working in Asia, who come to China as students (cheap costs), and stay on as lecturers or other forms of workers. When they're young, living away from home, there's little difference between them and any western guy. They'll drink like fish, they'll smoke, and chase tail. They're very charismatic, and very successful with the women, although over the last few years, they've started to gain something of a negative reputation. And then, there's the odd one who goes along with the rest, doesn't drink, just smokes the pipe, and doesn't chase tail. Nice guys TBH, although quite judgmental. As individuals, they can be lovely people. In groups, there's an entirely different dynamic, and anyone not muslim is a definite outsider.

However, when they reach their mid/late twenties, they're expected to settle down. They leave their asian girlfriends behind, and get married to someone from home. They switch away from the free lifestyle, to being ultra traditional/conservative. A complete and utter shift in personality, interests, and tolerance. I've seen this happen a dozen times, and I've stopped making friends with young Muslims, because there's no point. They don't stay that way.

I get the feeling that those who defend Muslims in Europe, have never spent any real time with groups of Muslims, and are instead basing their opinions on the behavior of individuals. As I said before, Islam is a community based religion, and the mob rules their hearts. With greater populations of Muslims in Europe, we'll see greater movement towards being similar to Muslims in Islamic states, simply because they have no choice. They'll be forced to become that way...

Now, things might be different if we had some requirement for them to truly integrate (not assimilate). but I've yet to see any system that's effective. The EU has been trying for decades, and continues to fail. (probably because it's completely voluntary)

Nail on the head...and exactly the same as my own experience from working and living in Islamic Country's. Individually they will be relaxed and outward , even western looking, and in the privacy of their own homes, even have a drink ( something most of them they don't have problem with when they are in Europe or other non-islamic Country's) But it's only skin deep for the majority of them. Once a Muslim, always a Muslim, no matter where they are. For a practising Muslim, Islam is the most important thing in their live's,,,in fact, it's the only thing. Integration? forget it !!! The ultimate aim is the spread of Islam, and its mainly happening in Democratic Country's.

I get the feeling that those who defend Muslims in Europe, have never spent any real time with groups of Muslims, and are instead basing their opinions on the behavior of individuals. As I said before, Islam is a community based religion, and the mob rules their hearts. With greater populations of Muslims in Europe, we'll see greater movement towards being similar to Muslims in Islamic states, simply because they have no choice.

Yeah, once their numbers rise in society, the 'moderate' ones are forced to fall in line with the more hardcore/extremists. They don't have a choice. Hence why if Muslims aren't fighting Westerners or "non-believers", they're fighting amongst themselves instead. Never peace.

World domination is the ultimate goal of Islam. Always has been, always will. No matter how many Muslims are peaceful and just want to live their lives, this underlying goal will always win out. It's never going to be reformed. We're in for a very long road in Europe, and tensions will only escalate. Unfortunately, in the end, unless most of us are wiped out through other means, this will inevitably conclude in war. Terrorist attacks and community tensions will only increase as their numbers grow. Eventually a tipping point will be reached where people realize they'll need to fight, or be dominated. There is no other way, and to fool yourself otherwise is delusional.

I get no joy from this idea. I'm not religious, either. I've had Muslim friends who were some of the nicest people I've met. But the future is inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

I think that's really a phenomon of being part of a culture that is very controlling, with conservative mores that you can't be flexible with. What tends to happen is people express their individualism and have fun while they can, and then when they're expected to be dutiful and conform, they just do that.

It's like someone has to work around a series of immovable rules, rather than express themselves in a relaxed way. You could see similar in say aspects of very conservative 19th century society or scenarios where someone would go through with a 'shotgun' / arranged marriage for the sake of peace with the family or keeping up appearances, rather than love.

A world of curtain twitching neighbours and people trying to control your every move. It's not entirely unfamiliar here if you look back to say parts of life here pre 1960s. There were definitely similar threads if you were unfortunate enough to be stuck with some ultra conservative aspect of society anyway.

We're lucky to be where and when we are really, when you think about what the alternatives are.

Oppressive systems will tend to always tend to have people who adapt their lives to just work around them.

440Hertz wrote: »
    I think that's really a phenomon of being part of a culture that is very controlling, with conservative mores that you can't be flexible with. What tends to happen is people express their individualism and have fun while they can, and then when they're expected to be dutiful and conform, they just do that.

It's like someone has to work around a series of immovable rules, rather than express themselves in a relaxed way. You could see similar in say aspects of very conservative 19th century society or scenarios where someone would go through with a 'shotgun' / arranged marriage for the sake of peace with the family or keeping up appearances, rather than love.

A world of curtain twitching neighbours and people trying to control your every move. It's not entirely unfamiliar here if you look back to say parts of life here pre 1960s. There were definitely similar threads if you were unfortunate enough to be stuck with some ultra conservative aspect of society anyway.

We're lucky to be where and when we are really, when you think about what the alternatives are.

Oppressive systems will tend to always tend to have people who adapt their lives to just work around them.
    Yes a conservative controlling culture , who base their behaviour on that of a stealing,murdering, desert warlord. The main miracle with Islam is not that so many adherents kill, but so few actually do. That said minorities in Muslim countries get treated appallingly ,so one wonders if all these moderate muslims ever have domininion over us, will they treat us well or will we be enslaved and murdered?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭jmreire

Really?? Well, TBH, in some Country's I've been in, it's possible ( Iran being one) but in other's? Forget it. Not going to happen...... A colleague of mine of several years standing, invited me to his home for a meal. Throughout the whole meal, I never once got to see his Wife or Daughters who had cooked it. His Son served it and took away the dishes. On a flight from Heathrow to Islamabad, I went to my assigned seat in the centre 4 seat section of the plane. One Bourka clad lady was already seated in the outer seat.So I took my seat, 2nd one from the Aisle. Passenger Nr 3 arrived, also wearing a Bourka, and took her seat between myself and Passenger Nr 1., Then passenger Nr 4 arrived,,again wearing a Bourka,,so there I was, sitting between 3 Bourka clad Ladies, and wondering what was going to happen next.....then a bearded Pakistani Gentleman, dressed in traditional Pakistani clothing arrived and after the usual "Assalam Alaikum" he got down to business. Perhaps, I might be more comfortable in another seat? So I said, yes, where do you want me to sit? And he said " anywhere you like on the plane, window/ isle front or rear" its your choice. Alhamdulillah !!! So I made my choice, and he said, One moment Please. And few moment later he was back to escort me to my new seat. So insisting on meeting and chatting to the Ladies? Good Luck with that. If you do visit an Islamic Country, make sure you have sussed out the attitude to its women. It can be an eye-opener.

• Advertisement

3 more arrested in France relating to the attack.

Includes a 62 year old and 25 year old.
    Intergenerational terrorists

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement