Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

blanch152 wrote: »
    Now that is funny all right.

Some of the bile on this thread is eye-opening.

Some people just don’t like a successful gay son of an immigrant, do they?

Some people just don't like him.

He was the Taoiseach, he could authorise himself!!!!!

Some of the stuff people are posting is hilarious.

That's dangerously close to Nixon's "when the president does it, it isn't illegal" scenario. In this instance the contents of the document would have been communicated eventually anyhow, doesn't mean they were communicated using the correct means.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    This is 4.(4) In this section “duly authorised” means authorised by a Minister or State authority or by some person authorised in that behalf by a Minister or State authority.

What 'Minister or State authority' authorised him to release the Confidential document, or are you suggesting that any 'Minister or State authority' can release any/all Confidential documents without recourse to any other individual/authority.

I would imagine this means that the information is communicated by way of a press release and not send by post to the private house of one of your drinking buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

So in your view a Taoiseach has carte blanche to release any/all Confidential documents to whoever they see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ein Fuhrer Blanch?
    It doesn't work that way here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Still should go through the proper channels though, even if your point is essentially right.

What proper channels? He was the Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I believe there is more to come on this story. Leo knew about this story breaking early last week. He has been quiet.

I guess the first move will be a vote of no confidence next week.

I don't think FF, FG or Green can afford an election now. The public are too angry about restrictions.

It's a pity really because he is one of the few capable politicians in both FF and FG. Their talent pool is quite shocking now.
    He will more than likely leave politics if forced to resign.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    So in your view a Taoiseach has carte blanche to release any/all Confidential documents to whoever they see fit.
    Fann Linn wrote: »
    Ein Fuhrer Blanch?
    It doesn't work that way here.

The law says he can, not me.

So the Taoiseach can do solo runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

The pinhead dancers have been sent out from Mount St

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

I dont think the law intended to send confidential documents to the private home of your buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,837 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

He's caught by the balls, goosed.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

I believe there is more to come on this story. Leo knew about this story breaking early last week. He has been quiet.

I guess the first move will be a vote of no confidence next week.

I don't think FF, FG or Green can afford an election now. The public are too angry about restrictions.

It's a pity really because he is one of the few capable politicians in both FF and FG. Their talent pool is quite shocking now.
    He will more than likely leave politics if forced to resign.

Capable, you must be joking!!

I dont think the law intended to send confidential documents to the private home of your buddy.

Sometimes that would be necessary though, depending on the context. There was an overlapping personal and professional relationship in this instance. Leo would have had to communicate with loads of doctors over the years as minister for health and then taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

jpfahy wrote: »
    Capable, you must be joking!!
    He is far from capable and the sooner he goes the better. I was not a fan of his predecessor Enda but he would not have done this. Those in powers of office have to be held to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Try reading the links provided by your friends before you embarrass yourself more.

Oh blanch is on. Blanch clear it all up for us buddy. We we waiting on your return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Did the NAGP have an office? I’m not saying they did or didn’t, but if they were a small organisation then sending it to one of the directors at an address given doesn’t seem that unusual

Quote the law that said he could at the time?

smurgen wrote: »
    Oh blanch is on. Blanch clear it all up for us buddy. We we waiting on your return.

Please, Blanch. Some cannot read.

tobsey wrote: »
    Did the NAGP have an office? I’m not saying they did or didn’t, but if they were a small organisation then sending it to one of the directors at an address given doesn’t seem that unusual

Even though 'Private/Confidential/Not for Circulation' is written across the front of it?

• Advertisement

Please, Blanch. Some cannot read.

Come on. After Cork losing today I need a few laughs. Strange times you know. Even considering buying the Sunday Indo tomorrow for a laugh.

The same lads that would be tripping over themselves to post unsubstantiated claims on a SF thread seem tongue tied here. It's just the strangest thing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Come on. After Cork losing today I need a few laughs. Strange times you know. Even considering buying the Sunday Indo tomorrow for a laugh.

Has your dog pee'd on the floor because of Hallowen, or perhaps reading this story?? It has good soakage, despite being already full of sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The same lads that would be tripping over themselves to post unsubstantiated claims on a SF thread seem tongue tied here. It's just the strangest thing. :D

Unsubstantiated:)

Ah lads.

I look forward to the defamation case by Varadkar.

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1322695260179468288?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I look forward to the defamation case by Varadkar.

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1322695260179468288?s=19

If this ever got to court, lots will come out that will be uncomfortable for Leo. If he knew he had done nothing wrong, he would have gotten an injunction on The Village publishing what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Leo the leak doesn't know the days of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Get Real

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2018/act/9/section/7/enacted/en/html

"An Irish official who uses confidential information obtained in the course of his or her office, employment, position or business for the purpose of corruptly obtaining a gift, consideration or advantage for himself or herself or for any other person shall be guilty of an offence"

Emphasis on "or for any other person". What section says he can do it as you claim?

Even if the law says he can (I disagree that it does) it sets a bad precedent anyway. So future Taoisigh can WhatsApp criminal documents or applications for public tenders to their mates? Where does the acceptable red line begin for you?

Immoral at the very least, criminal offence at worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

Bye bye leaky Leo Thatcher

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement