Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

We could do with pulling the finger out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

This is pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Awful second half only 3 points scored but fair play to Dublin for keeping at it

Piss poor from Browne there.

Piss poor from Browne there.

Absolutely p1ss poor from a lot of the players in this second half.

• Advertisement

Ah for fcuk sake Richie Hogan

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭blackwave

We are f*ck throwing this away

Jesus second half was awful talk about complacent I hope this is a massive kick up the backside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭kksaints

Phew! Unacceptable second half performance. Complete opposite of the first half performance.

Lucky to win that at the end. We were absolutely pathetic in the 2nd half. The players deserve to get the biggest boll**king from Cody. The gloss of the first half display has been completely wiped away

• Advertisement

Garyp88 wrote: »
    Jesus second half was awful talk about complacent I hope this is a massive kick up the backside

Doing the same things as we've been doing for the last 6 years so no idea why we'd believe that would be a kick in the arse. Lump puck out after puck out down on an outnumbered forward line getting blew out of it in the air. ****e high ball going into the full forward line when we did manage to win a ball in the middle.

We play a game completely dependent on our ability to win high ball. All our success came from Dublin stupidly trying to go man to man with us from the start. As soon as they dropped a man back to to flood the area around the breaking ball we were lost.

Pathetic stuff. And nothing is going to change until there's a change at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭mullinr2

And that is why we are no way good enough to win All Ireland. Limerick Galway and Tipp would wipe the floor with us

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Is Richie Hogan finished?

Looks like it on that performance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭kksaints

Doing the same things as we've been doing for the last 6 years so no idea why we'd believe that would be a kick in the arse. Lump puck out after puck out down on an outnumbered forward line getting blew out of it in the air. ****e high ball going into the full forward line when we did manage to win a ball in the middle.

We play a game completely dependent on our ability to win high ball. All our success came from Dublin stupidly trying to go man to man with us from the start. As soon as they dropped a man back to to flood the area around the breaking ball we were lost.

Pathetic stuff. And nothing is going to change until there's a change at the top.

Agreed, once they switched to the sweeper system the scores started to dry up. Backline were sending the high ball in so much when it clearly wasn't working. Desperately need to be able to switch our play up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭blackcard

Shocking second half display after a good first half along with a pile of soft frees given away. Wides by Browne and Hogan were dreadful. Couldn't understand Billy Ryan being taken off. We couldn't manage the sweeper system again

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭conor05

If Dublin had of got their tactics right from the start I think they would be in Leinster final, not Kilkenny.

blackcard wrote: »
    Shocking second half display after a good first half along with a pile of soft frees given away. Wides by Browne and Hogan were dreadful. Couldn't understand Billy Ryan being taken off. We couldn't manage the sweeper system again

Regarding taking Billy Ryan off... the only thing I can think off is that both him and his marker (can't think of his name) were on yellow cards, so maybe there was a fear that he could have been sent off. And on commentary Daly said that they were at each other off the ball the whole time

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kkclubhurling

I wasn’t getting too excited after 35 minutes, I won’t get too excited now.

Personally think Joey Holden is in our best 6 backs.

For the first time in a long time we’d a real goal threat, could easily have scored 5 (Wally two bad misses, Fogarty fouled early).

Disappointed with work rate out the pitch in last 20, Dublin were able to put perfect ball into Dillon and Ronan Hayes and our full back line didn’t stand up well in that spell of pressure.

Expect a more consistent performance in next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

You would think, by this stage, Cody would have figured out some sort of a game plan when coming up against a sweeper....

As soon as Dublin set up with a sweeper, there was only 1 team in it.

Really abject stuff.

Game was hard to judge first half excellent all forwards on the scoreboard. Think the lads thought the game was won and stepped off it I don't think we will see that anytime soon. Second half totally awful I think it was more arrogance than anything. I also don't think the water breaks helped either people saying Dublin may have won they couldn't live with kilkenny when it mattered and the only reason they were in the game was through poor kilkenny play in the second half it might serve as a good mantel going forward. Thought the backs handled the bigger men in rushe and crummey well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

I wasn’t getting too excited after 35 minutes, I won’t get too excited now.

Personally think Joey Holden is in our best 6 backs.

For the first time in a long time we’d a real goal threat, could easily have scored 5 (Wally two bad misses, Fogarty fouled early).

Disappointed with work rate out the pitch in last 20, Dublin were able to put perfect ball into Dillon and Ronan Hayes and our full back line didn’t stand up well in that spell of pressure.

Expect a more consistent performance in next game.

Joey's definitely consistent and solid. I can't see leaving him on the bench. ahh, frustrating 2nd half, that's for sure. deer in the headlights for long stretches.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 doel

Was expecting us to adapt a bit better to the sweeper system tbh. There's club teams out there that can adapt to the sweeper system better than that performance today. Absolutely no change regarding our "style of play".
    Overall dissappointing but we're in a leinster final!!

Did Ryan touch the ball in the second half? Did Eoin Cody bar that little cameo under the near sideline. Colin Fennelly? Donnelly bar the point from the far sideline? Even TJ? How many times did our forwards actually touch the ball inside the 45 in the second half?

In the first 15 minutes how many times was the ball delivered cross field outside Billy Ryan in the 20 yards along the sideline which he won comfortably. Dublin drop a man in front of the two man full forward line bang in the middle of the field and all of a sudden all our deliveries are landing in the middle zone of the field into traffic. What?! If we continued to deliver the ball to those outside spaces then the extra man is irrelevant. And there's no excuse to not deliver the ball there when we have an extra man at the back ****ing handed to us by Dublin dropping someone back to create those deliveries.

Why is every puck out in the second half delivered straight down the field with no variation? Why is Deegan given the job of the spare man when Pádraig is the best hurler we have back there and could be given the licence to drive forward as the spare man? (Although I thought Pádraig was seriously guilty of poor deliveries when he did get the ball.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭blackcard

What was particularly disappointing was that we couldn't arrest the slide in the second half, as Dublin halved the deficit from 16 to 8 points. If Kilkenny had to lose that match, it would have been the worst capitulation in the history of the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Spot on... So f***in frustrating.

Why is every puck out in the second half delivered straight down the field with no variation? Why is Deegan given the job of the spare man when Pádraig is the best hurler we have back there and could be given the licence to drive forward as the spare man? (Although I thought Pádraig was seriously guilty of poor deliveries when he did get the ball.)

As you said yourself at the end of your post, Padraig's distribution was atrocious. It was probably best that he wasn't the spare man

blackcard wrote: »
    What was particularly disappointing was that we couldn't arrest the slide in the second half, as Dublin halved the deficit from 16 to 8 points. If Kilkenny had to lose that match, it would have been the worst capitulation in the history of the GAA

Add in as well that there was the water break so the players had a chance to regroup and focus again. But that stoppage didn't have any impact. Really really poor from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

I actually think galway will suit kk more then wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jimbob2015

Strange game all 6 forwards scored from play in 1st half.

James maher a big loss on the panel for midfield options. Ritchie Reid good one loose ball, poor otherwise similar to Buckley. We need to start playing some diagonal ball into forwards when route one doesn't work. Fogarty played very well today but he has no partner too much chopping and changing in midfield

• Advertisement

Think browne will come in the midfield with fogarty, but given what I've just watched Wexford we're worse than Dublin. I think if we have more moments like the first half we could be up there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement