Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

I'd say Darren Mullens exclusion could be as a result of a potentially very serious incident which took place after the club's semi final win. I know the senior management were extremely unimpressed by it. I'd be afraid the Mullens brother may squander their phenomenal talent with some seriously brain dead behaviour off the field.

Why what happened? And surely if it was very serious he wouldn't have played in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

C Buckley had a great club campaign up to the Final in which he picked up a broken thumb in the first half. He deserves a run as much as any other player although I would agree that he isn't suitable for midfield. Switch him with R Reid. I'd be more concerned about Deegan at centre back after some of his displays with the club.

Yeah I agree about deegan too think delaney was more suited to play there Buckley at 7 Reid at 8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Darren Mullen played in one of the challenge matches with Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Comerman

Garyp88 wrote: »
    Yeah I agree about deegan too think delaney was more suited to play there Buckley at 7 Reid at 8

Surprised to see Delaney in the corner after his club performances compared to Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭therealdonster

It looks like they have gone with the tried and trusted which is perhaps understandable given the year thats in it and the circumstances. It is a surprise that Darren Mullen is not in the match day panel but it appears they have loaded up with forwards on the bench with only 3 recognised backs for subs. So maybe the 3 lads picked were in better form the last few weeks?

I'm glad to see Richie Reid finally get a start in a position that suits him. I believe the space in Croke Park will suit him and Padraig Walsh and expect them both to chip in.with a few scores. Conor Delaney is a surprise at corner back but have no fears of him. Let's hope Wallace can maintain the form he showed earlier in the year in.the league. I'd expect Deegan to play as an orthodox centre back and just hold the centre and not leave a lot of space between him and Lawlor.

The selection of Buckley and Fogarty at midfield hints at a cautious approach. You could say we are starting tomorrow with 8 backs really.

No surprises in the forwards. We probably all could have predicted the 6 selected and in.the exact positions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ClubFirst

Padraic Fanning new Dicksboro manager apartently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

ClubFirst wrote: »
    Padraic Fanning new Dicksboro manager apartently.

Correct not sure if ratified yet but he's the one the selection committee choose.

Pat Hoban has stood away from GBC today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ClubFirst

Correct not sure if ratified yet but he's the one the selection committee choose.

Pat Hoban has stood away from GBC today.

Am I right in saying James O Connor from the Shamrocks only senior manager staying in his position for 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

ClubFirst wrote: »
    Am I right in saying James O Connor from the Shamrocks only senior manager staying in his position for 2021?

He's definitely staying on anyway. The 3 town teams have a change in management with the Boro and OLG already making appointments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

I suppose my biggest suprise in defence was joey being dropped.We need fresh faces and a few lads to kick on.Delaney was excellent full back a few years ago before injury but i dont know if he has the pace for corner back.He might of being better suited to the half back line.Deegan has nearly played in all positions from midfield back.Im not convinced he is good enough for 6 but cody is keen for it to work.He wont be faulted for effort but some of his distribution particularly in the final was very poor.
    Our troublesome midfield position needed to be freshend.Buckley has rarely worked here and himself and fogarty are natural defenders.Hopefully we can keep the scores down while getting the balance right in attack.
    After all the years of being on and off the panel and sub goalie it's good to see richie reid finally getting his chance.
    Donnelly,billy and eoin cody are 3 exciting fowards hopefully they go well.The talk was they have being going well up to this.
    Looking at the subs bench it's the strongest we've had on paper for a few years.The only negative is darren mullen not making it maybe he is injured.He struggled against Waterford so maybe he has a bit of time before he is ready.
    Best of luck to all our lads

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The best of luck to the team mentors to day in croke park strange times for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭therealdonster

brookville wrote: »
    I suppose my biggest suprise in defence was joey being dropped.We need fresh faces and a few lads to kick on.Delaney was excellent full back a few years ago before injury but i dont know if he has the pace for corner back.He might of being better suited to the half back line.Deegan has nearly played in all positions from midfield back.Im not convinced he is good enough for 6 but cody is keen for it to work.He wont be faulted for effort but some of his distribution particularly in the final was very poor.
    Our troublesome midfield position needed to be freshend.Buckley has rarely worked here and himself and fogarty are natural defenders.Hopefully we can keep the scores down while getting the balance right in attack.
    After all the years of being on and off the panel and sub goalie it's good to see richie reid finally getting his chance.
    Donnelly,billy and eoin cody are 3 exciting fowards hopefully they go well.The talk was they have being going well up to this.
    Looking at the subs bench it's the strongest we've had on paper for a few years.The only negative is darren mullen not making it maybe he is injured.He struggled against Waterford so maybe he has a bit of time before he is ready.
    Best of luck to all our lads

I would prefer Delaney at full back than in the corner. He is a more standard type of player for the position than Huw Lawlor is. Deegan was our best player in my opinion during the league. I'd be happy enough with him at centre back and think the conditions will suit him at this time of year.

I am very happy that Richie Reid starts at 7 & have long believed he should have been picked in this position. I suppose being away for extended periods with the army didn't help his case but he gets his chance now. His striking and distribution are good and if necessary he can play the spare man at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Strong panel but shocked at no darren Mullen also. I thought more village lads may have been involved like brassil, dwyer and guilfoyle. Does any know how old guilfoyle and dwyer are? because dwyer had an excellent club campaign. Does anyone know what's happened to David blanchfield seems to have dropped off the radar. Delighted for aylward to be back in after a good club scene and ciaran Wallace. How has Alan Murphy been selected and Buckley. Buckley maybe on the bench but has not been great lately also delighted for Richie Reid

Bit surprised at the selection but looking forward to the match bigtime! Surprised to not see Joey or C. Brown in & more surprised to see Buckley listed as starting. It's put up or shut up for him & a few others, IMO

From the little I've seen him I've been impressed by the Guilfoyle lad. I also have no clue how old he is but I've no doubt Brian Cody does.
    Eagerly awaiting throw-in time. We don't change our clocks until tonight unfortunately, I'm ready now!
    Kilkenny Abu!

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Comerman

I think Gilly is only 18/19 yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Good start for the cats. Sean Moran lucky to be still on the pitch. On a yellow and still fouling. Some goal from TJ. Nolan out with his characteristic high lunge tackle.

Johnny Murphy is a very poor ref.

citykat wrote: »
    Johnny Murphy is a very poor ref.

How dare he blow Walter up after that stick work would have been a fantastic point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Is anyone else’s stream a bit patchy?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yeah it's a bit glitchy here and there

• Advertisement

Fine on gaago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭kksaints

In general it's been fine, one or two moments of slowdown but nothing ruining.

Good performance so far, workrate is very impressive.

If gaago, it's normal and actually not too bad. but yes, a couple short times but nothing more here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

You should go and see a urologist. That could be serious :)

How dare he blow Walter up after that stick work would have been a fantastic point

He gave Sutcliffe a yellow for what i thought was a fair shoulder on Lawlor.

Very happy with that scoreline at half-time. TJ is pure class as per usual. Dublin are rubbish so far. If the KK half-backs would lower the trajectory of their passes it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 catseye2

stream is excellent. Team are really flowing but The Dubs are bad,
    A number of the players like Wally looking extremely fit and sharp

catseye2 wrote: »
    stream is excellent. Team are really flowing but The Dubs are bad,
    A number of the players like Wally looking extremely fit and sharp

Dubs are poor but agree, some good signs. Billy Ryan winning most of what comes his way.

citykat wrote: »
    He gave Sutcliffe a yellow for what i thought was a fair shoulder on Lawlor.

Yeah I thought that was a very harsh yellow. Because they way Lawlor was turning/spinning, any connection from Sutcliffe meant that Lawlor would end up on the ground and it would look very dramatic.

• Advertisement

I know the match was over by half-time but we've been very lax in the second half so far. The water break right now is actually needed to so the lads get a bit of a kick up the ar*e from Cody.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement