Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ebay

• 10-06-2021 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Hello

As you may know eBay are changing the way they take and receive payment. Ive just had to add my bank details to my account. But I'm wondering if you can attach a Revolute account to it instead. I don't have a Revolute account but now considering it. Thanks
    Post edited by whiterebel on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey folks,
    I was logging into eBay and was prompted to grant access to eBay delivery, looking at their rates, they seem pretty good compared to what I'm seeing on the anpost website and parceldirect.ie. I tried to see if I could get a sample rate by going through the process, but it seems to say service not available.

Does anyone here selling on eBay.ie and shipping from Ireland to UK/EU/Beyond use this and how did you set it up?

Also, an aside question, if I've calculated postage of an item on the anpost website, but instead of going to the cashier and paying there and the cashier sticking the shipping label on the package, if it's small enough, and say delivery is showing as €7 to somewhere in Europe, can I just put €7 worth of stamps on it and throw it in any postbox and it should get there?

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

cormie wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    I was logging into eBay and was prompted to grant access to eBay delivery, looking at their rates, they seem pretty good compared to what I'm seeing on the anpost website and parceldirect.ie. I tried to see if I could get a sample rate by going through the process, but it seems to say service not available.

Does anyone here selling on eBay.ie and shipping from Ireland to UK/EU/Beyond use this and how did you set it up?

Could you post a link to this? I've sold a few things on eBay recently and don't remember seeing any mention of it. I thought it was just for UK sellers.
    Also, an aside question, if I've calculated postage of an item on the anpost website, but instead of going to the cashier and paying there and the cashier sticking the shipping label on the package, if it's small enough, and say delivery is showing as €7 to somewhere in Europe, can I just put €7 worth of stamps on it and throw it in any postbox and it should get there?

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

I would imagine so but I would confirm this first. Bear in mind for international packages you have to fill out an Aviation Security Declaration. I usually print it off and stick it on the box to avoid having to fill it out at the post office so you could do that.

VG31 wrote: »
    Could you post a link to this? I've sold a few things on eBay recently and don't remember seeing any mention of it. I thought it was just for UK sellers.

Never mind I found it. I could only find the UPS rates for Europe. They're very good, it's only €13-15 for a parcel that would cost at least €23 to buy directly with them. There's no mention of the UK strangely.

Hey, have a look at these two links:
    https://support-ebay.packlink.com/hc/en-ie/articles/209156905-eBay-Delivery-Ireland-shipping-rates

https://support-ebay.packlink.com/hc/en-ie/articles/360006149780

It clearly shows Irish examples and rates, but it doesn't seem possible to do it at all? There's no "print shipping label" on ebay.ie, there is on ebay.co.uk, but then it doesn't return any services when you have an Irish address in, I tested it with my parcel wizard address as "sender" from NI, and it gave me options and very reasonable rates, but can't get any from Ireland :(

You seem to be able to buy a label here: https://delivery.ebay.ie/private/

Weirdly enough UPS to the UK is €17.62 but delivery to Germany is €16.80! :confused:

If you buy directly through UPS it's €12.09 and ~€23 to the UK and Germany respectively.

EDIT: Estonia is €14.70! The pricing is fairly bizarre but there is some good value there.

• Advertisement

I've just checked Greece and UK and there seems to be cheaper options on parcel2go and direct at shipping.dpd.ie too, but GLS seem to be coming in cheapest to the UK and TNT cheapest to Greece, about €16 ex vat vs €50 ex vat on the ebay shipping.

It clearly shows Irish examples and rates, but it doesn't seem possible to do it at all? There's no "print shipping label" on ebay.ie, there is on ebay.co.uk, but then it doesn't return any services when you have an Irish address in, I tested it with my parcel wizard address as "sender" from NI, and it gave me options and very reasonable rates, but can't get any from Ireland :(

I sent them an email and Packlink hasn't actually been launched yet in Ireland.

When did you email them and when did you hear back? I was onto ebay live chat and also emailed packlink myself yetserday, but haven't heard back from anyone on it yet! Will just go with the options above so I guess.

When did you email them and when did you hear back? I was onto ebay live chat and also emailed packlink myself yetserday, but haven't heard back from anyone on it yet! Will just go with the options above so I guess.

I emailed them at 9 last night and they replied at 10:30 this morning.

I got a reply! Coincidental timing?!
    Dear Customer,

Thank you for your e-mail.

The Packlink service should be launched this week, and when this goes live, all the deatures will be available.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Corvus Libros

Yes, I've been doing that for years. I buy a load of stamps whenever they have a promotion (e.g. 10 stamps for the price of 8 in Christmas booklets). Then put on enough stamps to to cover the cost. If it's going by registered post, take it to the cashier and they put it into the system as prepaid. For standard post I just drop them at the hatch without having to queue. If it fits, you can put it in a post box, although I don't know if they have a problem with heavy stuff in post boxes.

You do have to be very careful that you work out the correct postage for the size and weight down to the millimetre and gram. If you underpay, it will likely be returned to you with the postage cancelled.

But if you know what you're doing, you'll make fewer mistakes than the counter staff do and you'll save money by buying stamps when they're cheap.

Maybe this should be obvious but can you use N or W stamps in conjunction with regular stamps? For instance if I want to post a letter abroad can you combine an N stamp and a 70 cent stamp to make up €1.70?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Corvus Libros

VG31 wrote: »
    Maybe this should be obvious but can you use N or W stamps in conjunction with regular stamps? For instance if I want to post a letter abroad can you combine an N stamp and a 70 cent stamp to make up €1.70?

Yes, N stamps are worth the current value of standard letter post (€1). A 2kg packet is €9, so nine N stamps.

An advantage of stocking up on stamps is that when the postage goes up, the value of the stamps goes up too, no matter what you paid for them.

The ebay delivery service seems to be live now! I haven't tested many quotes yet, but 5kg within Ireland for €6 sounds good! I paid €8.30 to ship a small 200g pack tracked today at the post office and got reminded of the ebay service as I was going to add the tracking number to it! Would have cost 5 something through ebay for what appears to be 1kg minimum, but it didn't change much with each kg I increased it by!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The rates seem good

Am I missing something or is there only the option for posting outside Ireland with UPS and An Post/UPS within Ireland
    Woulda thought there would be cheaper rates thru An Post for international

It seems so, comparing an post prices to others before, they always seemed pricier on most things other than small packets/letters. Also they don't post batteries which is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Got a call off ebay this morning to say the service was now active - anyone else?

They must be trying to push the service in Ireland

Got this today:
    eBay Ireland & Packlink Shipping Platform - Seller Update

Hello eBay seller,

We are pleased to share that we have partnered with Packlink to bring you a streamlined way to print An Post postage labels for domestic sales on ebay.ie.

Packlink is a shipping platform that is now available for all Irish sellers on ebay.ie. Whether you are a well-established business or a small private seller on-site, we want to offer the best possible prices for postage on the market. Through Packlink, not only do you get market-leading rates, but each package s sent via An Post’s express option and full tracked as standard.

Here are the main features of the platform:

Both the seller and buyer address automatically populated directly from the eBay order
    ·You put in the dimensions of the parcel, and the price is calculated for you.
    ·The platform gives you the address of your local drop off point for your parcel (your local post office or depot).
    ·You pay for the postage label via PayPal within the platform once you put in your dimensions and choose your drop off point.
    ·You will be provided with the postage label once you pay.
    ·This shipping platform has been developed to help our sellers speed up their orders and give discounted prices for domestic postage. You can use this to process bulk orders, or you can use it on an individual basis.
    ·Please see prices here: https://support-ebay.packlink.com/hc/en-ie/articles/209156905-eBay-Delivery-Ireland-shipping-rates

These prices are some of the best on the market for domestic postage in Ireland and available only to eBay sellers. This tool comes at no extra cost and is available now for you to use by simply clicking on Print Postage Label on your orders!

Please see below the steps to take to print your label:
    ·Go to your Sold items.
    ·Select on Print Postage Label.
    ·Select on the order you want to print a label for or select on Print in Bulk.
    ·You will then be presented with the sender address (sellers address) and Receiver Address (buyers address).
    ·Please note you will need to add in both the seller and buyer Eircode manually. You will notice it appears in red. Select on Edit and select on the Eircode from the dropdown. Then select on save.
    ·Next, add in your parcel dimensions.
    ·You will then be presented with a drop off location for your parcel (your local post office or depot)
    ·The final step is to pay for your label, this will appear up the top right, and you pay for this via PayPal.
    ·You will then be presented with your postage label.
    ·Please see here our FAQ’s: https://support-ebay.packlink.com/hc/en-ie/sections/360004167579-How-to-use-Packlink

Can’t find the answer to your questions? Contact Packlink directly: https://support-ebay.packlink.com/hc/en-ie/articles/360014270619

Here is the link to the eBay Help Page on Packlink: https://ocsnext.ebay.ie/ocs/sc

We would also love to hear from you on how you are finding this platform. Please send us an email with any feedback you have to ebayIreland@ebay.com

Regards,
    The eBay Ireland Team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

I've only used it once about 2 weeks ago, more as an ass-covering exercise because the price on something went much much higher than I was expecting.

They does seem good rates when compared with An Posts listed price for the Express Option, and it was a fairly simple process of getting it done.

Nothing will ever beat the An-Post/Ebay e-parcel card that they offered to some sellers briefly back in 2007/8. Somebody must have been losing money on that.

I'm not sure if this is posted anywhere else, if so mods, please move to an appropriate thread if it has.

When did eBay start applying sales tax to buyers invoices?

I made two small sales on eBay this week (both under €40) and noticed that eBay had charged my buyers a sales tax, which signifcantly bumped up what they had to pay. (I hope they don't think I received this extra money!)

Its bad enough that with the cost of postage from Ireland is offputting for buyers, without this. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

EBay is becoming less and less attractive as a place to sell.

I agree.

After final value fees, paypal fees, packaging costs, for the small bit you make its not worth the effort to take photos, list them item, package the item.....

Not worth it for the buyer, either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Loueze wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is posted anywhere else, if so mods, please move to an appropriate thread if it has.

When did eBay start applying sales tax to buyers invoices?

I made two small sales on eBay this week (both under €40) and noticed that eBay had charged my buyers a sales tax, which signifcantly bumped up what they had to pay. (I hope they don't think I received this extra money!)

Its bad enough that with the cost of postage from Ireland is offputting for buyers, without this. :(

are the buyers UK-based? If so it would be a customs processing charge

I posted about this a while back and nobody seemed interested.The company involved is Global Shipping and is in bed with Ebay. I was charged import charges but got no confirmation that this was paid. I queried it with them and after a back and fourth, they admitted that they did not pay any import charges and pocketed them money themselves. So if the item is not pulled by customs, they will just pocket that money. Word got out around FB on this and people are chasing them up for the documentation, refunds are being issued. Mainly, people are just avoiding vendors that use Global Shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Revolut gives you an EU bank account with IBAN and also a £ Sterling account too, so I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use these, except if eBay deny them for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user302243

Has any one used Packlink/eBay a good bit?

I'm finding about 75% of the labels have the address missing/cut off and I have to manually edit most addresses. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The Global shipping programme is a complete disaster and the amounts charged for shipping bear no relation to the costs involved. What I find even more problematic is the addition of UK VAT to private seller sales. In my case these are almost always second-hand items such as books, DVDs etc. i.e the VAT has already been paid on them when new. An eBayer I bought from recently tried to explain it to me as a the same as a normal auction room where you you also pay VAT - he couldn't get his head round the fact that in a conventional auction the VAT is only charged on the auctioneer's commission not on the sale value.

Anyway, eBay has been going down the plughole for years, more and more messing and the latest nonsense insisting that payments go directly to your bank account via eBay rather than into PayPal is the final straw. Selling on eBay since 2000 and finished up the 2nd July for good. I will continue to buy there using my Northern Irish account thus avoiding being robbed by whoever. :mad:

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Anyway, eBay has been going down the plughole for years, more and more messing and the latest nonsense insisting that payments go directly to your bank account via eBay rather than into PayPal is the final straw. Selling on eBay since 2000 and finished up the 2nd July for good.

Same, buying and selling on eBay for at least 20 years as well, but I'm done with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Sounds like it should be dead easy. Doesn't appear to be. The advanced search of ebay.co.uk doesn't give me the option of filtering by postcode (seller's location)

Neither does ebay.com advanced search

Ebay.ie does give this option - well it calls it zipcode. If I enter the postcode for say, Belfast City Hall and search for items within 10 km of it, it doesn't filter the results

If I forget about postcodes and instead try to filter by country that doesn't work either as the only options are UK, UK and Ireland, Worldwide, European Union etc.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hi all,

I'll try keep it short.

I've noticed the past couple of weeks that I've been getting less interaction/emails/purchases on eBay. I have 18 listings listed on my eBay.ie account. Now, up to recently these same listings would appear on eBay UK and ebay.com when I did a general search. I currently have 18 listings and on eBay.ie I can see them all. When I go to eBay UK and go to my account it also says I have 18 listings but when I click on the '18' it only shows 6?! When I go to eBay US and again click on my '18' supposed listings 0 adverts come up?!! My customers are mainly in the UK and US so I'm confused as to why this is happening?! I have international postage selected for all items and have never had an issue before so why is this happening now?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement