Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ebay

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Yes, commercial sellers. Okay, VAT sounds a plausible reason.

I'm reassured it's not some odd mis-config. on my side. I'll just put up with it and hope I don't get an additional currency charge. I do resent ebay convoluted charges.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Slightly off-topic. How ebay's suggestion algorithm works it's a real mystery to me. Must be a kind of rocket science alright. Screenshot of the email I got recently:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If I list a pair of boots on ebay will the Global Shipping Program give UK buyers a total cost ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

*edit*

Post edited by blueser on

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Looking to start selling on eBay. Anyone know any good tips on cutting down in fees etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

The only advice I would give is do not list on the eBay.ie website. You will not get any promotional offers other than X number of free listings per month. They will also charge you close to 12% for a final value fee (including shipping costs) for anything you do sell. Your traffic/view numbers for anything you list will also be terrible. If you sell anything to someone in the UK, they will add VAT to the item cost and charge your final fee on the elevated figure (it if sells for less than 300Euro I believe) - the final fee will be closer to the 15% mark in that case.

These observations are based on my own recent personal experiences with eBay.ie. I used to list on eBay.co.uk pre-Brexit and sold a lot more and paid a lot less in final value fees. I usually stick to Adverts now for sales, especially for smaller, low value items. Selling on eBay just isn't worth it anymore IMHO.

*edit*

Post edited by blueser on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭scrotist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you choose the global shipping option you will pay all the charges in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭monkeyactive

Hi there ,

I opened a case against an ebay seller unwilling to converse or take return an item which in my view was not as described. Seller closed return on ebay. Since making this claim I tested the equipment and have discovered that the item(audio equipment) also has an electrical fault.

I am concerned that I may possibly lose my initial claim (kind of a grey area) , and then not have
    the ability to raise another dispute based on the electrical fault discovered.

Then Id be stuck with something I wouldnt have ordered had all the info been clear and which I cant sell on again.

Is there anything I can do here? Should I add the information about the fault to my initial claim? Anyone been in a similar situation?

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Gamergurll

What do you mean the seller closed the return? Is it an item not as described dispute, yes just add the extra details. You can only open one dispute per item so do not close this one

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭bewareofthedog

I bought an electric strimmer for 200e thats out of stock in Ireland, not available on amazon. Ordered it a week ago

It says its been delivered on ebay.. It went through the UK site global shipping program pitney bowes, then looks like it was handled by parcelforce once it arrived in Ireland. I've tried all the courier sites ups,dpd,fastway etc to see if I could get anymore information but nothing shows up

The only contact for parcelforce is a UK number, really don't know what to do would appreciate any advice

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mod: Moved to the eBay thread.

Get on to the seller and get them to check with Pitney Bowes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭AnRothar

From my experience usually the "delivery" for the eBay global shipping means the logistics hub in England.

Final delivery to me mainly occurred days later.

Double post

Post edited by bewareofthedog on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I had that happen to me at christmas, every time it was marked as delivered it was only delivered out to a new handler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

17 track works well for me most of time with tracking…
    https://www.17track.net/en

could it be stuck in customs? you could try contact them - they take days sometimes for them to tell you they have your stuff.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Get back onto Pitney Bowes and ask them to track it. Tell them they need to follow up with Parcel Force to get you an update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Ebay UK's GSP delivery (and some of Ebay International Shipping from US) now seems to be outsourced to Fastway.

Got a package from them today and another last week.

It used to be DPD who were better (always texted in morning with a one hour delivery window)

• Advertisement

Hadn't realized thread had been moved. Thanks for all the replies

Despite the Ebay system and the main tracking pages saying it's been delivered, it looks like there's been an update half an hour ago. Ebay themselves wanted me to start a refund process, hasn't been a good experience using the site. Hopefully it arrives soon!

Not to turn thread into personal blog 😂 It arrived this morning from fastway couriers. Thanks for the help :-)

Just been in contact with them re a transaction fee being levied on an item I sold last week. This despite their recent announcement that selers' fees on second hand clothing are being scrapped. It seems this only applies to UK sellers. That strikes me as very unfair.

I am selling a phone and I said I would ship it to the EU and UK only. If someone in the UK buys it and is then hit with customs and refuses that package will eBay side with me?

Im concerned now as to whether I should have listed that I would sell it to the UK at all because most of them think Ireland is the UK and I assume won't realise they are liable for possible VAT or customs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭HorseSea

Someone else may be able to confirm this as I am not 100% sure as I have not sold to UK since Brexit, but I understood that eBay now automatically collect the correct duty as part of checkout process for amounts up to (I think) €150. You will need to put the correct customs declaration on the package with a copy of the invoice on the outside. Hopefully someone else can be more definite.

Thanks, this is madness I know nothing about filling in customs forms. I'm trying to change the listing now to exclude the UK but it may be too late I think a UK bidder is winning :(

Last time I sold anything on eBay was before Brexit and the buyers were always in the UK so I didn't even think about it

• Advertisement

I was able to change my shipping options and exclude the UK and only include the EU thankfully, I would have been screwed if I couldn't. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭HorseSea

The customs form is easy enough, automatically captured if you buy a postage label online from An Post or if using eBay shipping option, I am sure they capture all the info too. Just your details, the address it is going to, the item description and value. Also you need a taric code, everything has a code these days, but you just goggle taric code and what your item is. Easier though if you can avoid all that.

Folks just wondering if I have any comeback here at all.

Bought audio equipment used on ebay 114 days ago. Paid with PayPal.

Turns out hdmi board is fried. Should have tested it earlier but thought it was just switched off in settings. Only figured it out when I tried to use that aspect yesterday.

Have I any shot at a return or refund here through ebay or PayPal or is it done for?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Gamergurll

I think it's up to 6 months? Try a dispute and it will let you know

Edit* it could be 6 months with PayPal only, I'm not sure with ebay

Post edited by Gamergurll on

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭PenguinForce

I haven't bought from Ebay for many years now so not sure if much has changed. I've seen a laptop that's available from a seller based in UK. The laptop is also available for the same price on Amazon UK but after waiting over 3 weeks with my card charged and not shipped. I have to cancel and refund. I rather not deal with that again so I decide I might give Ebay sellers a go. I got a couple of questions and I figure it will be easier to ask here.

Why are postage cost so high for some items? From the item page - "£126.67 (approx EUR 149.31) Express Delivery to Ireland via eBay's Global Shipping Programme." Is this a way for sellers to offset cost they have to pay to Ebay or is based around the cost/value of the item?

Does Ebay use a specific courier or is that based on the seller's choice?

In terms of paying Irish VAT/import charges. I assume it works the same as Amazon where everything is processed and handled at checkout?

If anything happens during shipping/delivery and I decide to cancel. Do I get the whole cost of my order back like the postage cost and import charges(Irish VAT)?

Are seller reviews accurate and legit? I can use it as a safe way to determine how reliable the seller is?

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Ebay's Global Shipping programme means that Ebay are responsible for the shipping, not the seller.

The seller posts it to a hub, Ebay then use a courier (was DPD, now Fastway) to deliver assuming that the VAT is taken at checkout.

The postage costs are much higher as Ebay take a cut. The seller doesn't benefit from the inflated postage costs.

If the VAT isn't collected at checkout then An Post will contact you in the normal way re same. They'll end up delivering it.

Advantage for buyer - the package is trackable the whole way and there's no risk of An Post sending the package back due to "failed electronic customs clearance" as Ebay get automatic clearance given that they've handled the documentation.

Folks how does selling to a UK buyer on ebay work in terms of customs fees , vat etc? Does eBay calculate all that into the prices they see on their end ? Or is it up to them to work it out ? Anything I'd need to do on my end besides properly filling out the paperwork at postage?

Not a shop just a private sale.

Post edited by monkeyactive on

Advertisement