Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebay

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dave34

first apologies for commenting on an old thread..

seems ebay has become like most corporate entities nigh on impossible to contact to resolve an issue. So does anyone have or know of a way to contact ebay other than by there automated blocking systems?

thnx in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Skip to main content

Call us

Estimated wait time:

1 minute

To help us identify you and provide faster service, confirm or enter the number you're calling from.

Ireland

Enter the phone number you will be calling from

08X XXX X***

Call us

Monday to Friday 8:00am to 10:00pm, Saturday and Sunday 9:00am

to 6:00pm

Chat

Chat

Before I connect you with an agent, please tell me what you need help with.

Reason for contact...

0 characters used of 150 allowed0 / 150

Send request

Have you tried either of these? On the ebay app in the Help section.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Joziburg

Does anyone know the implications of purchasing 2nd hand books from private eBay seller in UK and having these delivered to Ireland….purchase price ca. ~€100.

Do books result in customs and VAT charges, hold ups by anPost once received from UK? Thought books were VAT exempt but not sure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Books are a bit complicated. You'll have to figure out which Tariff code is applicable, there are various types that may be VAT free. If it comes in via A Post they'll probably choose the one that is vatable. Then you'll have to claim it back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Buyer is in Ireland, Seller is in Germany (or another in Czechia)

The search results page quotes prices in Euro.

On selecting the item and displaying the item's page details a price in Sterling is displayed. When I select payment the price is converted to Euro. (and the price has increased by a few Euro)

What's going on? I failed to find a default currency setting in ebay.

Last time I bought an item in the EU I didn't encounter this.

My PC region setting were set to UK but I corrected, cleared the cache, rebooted.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gamergurll

Has the seller listed on ebay UK and set their price in sterling?

I've found the seller on ebay.co.uk. Item location is still Leipzig.

The same situation applies with other items in the search results.

On ebay.ie I'm searching EU only.

Why would sterling be the default currency for an EU seller?

Is it a glitch with ebay or with my account? And will I be have to pay currency conversion charges along with the few euro that (annoyingly) are added to the seller's price at checkout.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Is it a commercial seller who charges VAT? Search results may be based on sellers location VAT rate but recalculating to the Irish rate when you go to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I listed my items on Ebay UK and priced them in GBP. I'm based in Kildare.

So not unusual. You go wherever the best market is.

In over 20 years of selling physical media on Ebay and Discogs, I only ever had two orders from Ireland

• Advertisement

Sure, I understand that. It's not that I expect him to list on ebay.ie but on ebay.de in euros. Maybe the routine with a listing in English is to put it on ebay.co.uk.

And shouldn't ebay be able to list the correct price in the search results?

I should have included the link. As I mentioned, same result with many other sellers of similar items.

Yes, commercial sellers. Okay, VAT sounds a plausible reason.

I'm reassured it's not some odd mis-config. on my side. I'll just put up with it and hope I don't get an additional currency charge. I do resent ebay convoluted charges.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Slightly off-topic. How ebay's suggestion algorithm works it's a real mystery to me. Must be a kind of rocket science alright. Screenshot of the email I got recently:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If I list a pair of boots on ebay will the Global Shipping Program give UK buyers a total cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

*edit*

Post edited by blueser on

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Looking to start selling on eBay. Anyone know any good tips on cutting down in fees etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

The only advice I would give is do not list on the eBay.ie website. You will not get any promotional offers other than X number of free listings per month. They will also charge you close to 12% for a final value fee (including shipping costs) for anything you do sell. Your traffic/view numbers for anything you list will also be terrible. If you sell anything to someone in the UK, they will add VAT to the item cost and charge your final fee on the elevated figure (it if sells for less than 300Euro I believe) - the final fee will be closer to the 15% mark in that case.

These observations are based on my own recent personal experiences with eBay.ie. I used to list on eBay.co.uk pre-Brexit and sold a lot more and paid a lot less in final value fees. I usually stick to Adverts now for sales, especially for smaller, low value items. Selling on eBay just isn't worth it anymore IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

*edit*

Post edited by blueser on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you choose the global shipping option you will pay all the charges in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭monkeyactive

Hi there ,

I opened a case against an ebay seller unwilling to converse or take return an item which in my view was not as described. Seller closed return on ebay. Since making this claim I tested the equipment and have discovered that the item(audio equipment) also has an electrical fault.

I am concerned that I may possibly lose my initial claim (kind of a grey area) , and then not have
    the ability to raise another dispute based on the electrical fault discovered.

Then Id be stuck with something I wouldnt have ordered had all the info been clear and which I cant sell on again.

Is there anything I can do here? Should I add the information about the fault to my initial claim? Anyone been in a similar situation?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gamergurll

What do you mean the seller closed the return? Is it an item not as described dispute, yes just add the extra details. You can only open one dispute per item so do not close this one

Advertisement